2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah @Dhooy7 it will take them a few to process it, but as long as your LORs are submitted through AACOMAS you will be good to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my II for this Saturday. If any of you are near the area and on the ASAP list, keep an eye out or sign back in to the portal to see if it's still available!

Reactions: 1 user
Per the class profile sheet that MUCOM publishes, about half (55%) the class is IS. 30% are considered from diverse backgrounds with 12% being considered underrepresented in medicine. —from class of 2021

As far as racial groups, I think we have a little bit of everything. We are LGBTQ friendly (or at least getting better), and it is part of our curriculum. We have a number of student interest groups with different affiliated backgrounds and religions.

Hopefully this helps a little.

First of all, thanks for being so helpful! I was wondering if you could elaborate further on the bolded above?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, thanks for being so helpful! I was wondering if you could elaborate further on the bolded above?

Of course! This is just what I have noticed from this past year but our LGBT alliance/interest group was started back up and is now an active group in the COM. As far as curriculum, we had an excellent discussion and panel in our clinical medicine group—I don’t know if this was previously a part of the curriculum or if it was new. Either way, I was thoroughly impressed with how it was presented and I personally learned a lot. That’s all I know as of now, but there seems to be more open conversation so I’m hoping we are moving in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm getting nervous about that as well, I've only heard from one. I reload my e-mail at least every 5 minutes...My MCAT wasn't very good, I'm trying not to stress out. Good luck, I hope we both hear from schools soon. Would you let me know when you hear from them? I want to know if I'm being skipped or something, I'll let you know if I get a response or anything.

Just got my rejection email today. Hope you have a better outcome!

On another note, does MUCOM have admission counselors to talk to about a rejected application?

Just got my rejection email today. Hope you have a better outcome!

On another note, does MUCOM have admission counselors to talk to about a rejected application?

Thanks for letting me know, that’s a bummer. This entire week has been complete silence, it’s killing me. I haven’t received an email yet.

Heard anything from any of your other schools yet? I wish the best to you as well :)

After my interview, I wasn’t trying to come on SDN to scare myself, but wanted to see more information about the alternate list. (currently on it)

Decided to make an account to post about how correct everyone else has been on here. Interview day was incredible, everyone is super nice, the atmosphere is very very positive. They’ve got a large amount of mental health resources including 24/7 counseling and dogs to visit every week. Mini Starbucks on campus, open door policy, a new gym, they help pay for other gym memberships, etc.

This school definitely tries their best to make everyone feel comfortable, and I think it is working well. Had another interview and the vibe was nothing like this one. Incredible school. If you have any questions, Daniel Goodpaster is pretty good with responding quickly, informatively, and in a nice manner. Hope I get off the waitlist and can contribute to such an amazing place.

’m thinking of applying to MU-COM this week.
GPA: 3.61
SGPA:3.41
MCAT: 502
Have 50+ shadowing hours with DO (have a letter of recommendation
Have 1000+ clinical hours working with a pain management physician MD (also received letter of recommendation)
Multiple volunteering opportunities
Inducted in two national biology honor societies
Other extra curricular activities including being an RA, lab TA etc.
Does that make me competitive for or nah?

I know that the LGBTQ aspects of health education have been around for more than just our year, it was first incorporated and drawn up by one of our faculty that actually identifies as a member of the LGBTQ community, and has since been changed to be a topic taught from a presentation created at Case Western. As stated above, the session in our clinical course sparked a conversation about the topic within our class that was pretty positive overall. Topics relevant to LGBTQ healthcare are also incorporated elsewhere in the curriculum. I personally think that the faculty here does a good job striking a balance between getting all of the relevant/necessary information and teaching the art of doing so in a sensitive and respectful way for any patient from any background.

Hey everyone, I recently interviewed at MUCOM and would like to give my impression of the school.

Overall, I was not really impressed. All of the student ambassadors were sorta meh. Didn't get to see the on-campus library or on-campus gym during the tour. Two of the ambassadors were asked if they were planning on taking USMLE, if the school encourages it, if the school provides resources for it, anything. The two students had an identical view about it which I guess stems down from the university itself. In short, they stated, "No, we won't be taking it. Program directors should be able to look at our COMLEX and see how well we did. If we do well on that, why risk taking another exam and do poorly on it. Taking both exams would be a no-win situation, because if you do well on COMLEX residency programs should assume you'd do well on USMLE."

A 3rd year student was talking about rotations, which appeared to be by all of their accounts preceptor-based. The student was asked if the majority of the rotations are preceptor or if there's a good mix of ward based, etc. The student didn't know what ward-based was. The dude that actually asked the question had to explain what the difference was between preceptor and ward-based.
The presentation for the school mentions no usmle, no view on the merger, no discussion from the dean about matching into acgme accredited programs. With all of this, I didnt get a great vibe from the school and it's future.

Hey everyone, I recently interviewed at MUCOM and would like to give my impression of the school.

Overall, I was not really impressed. All of the student ambassadors were sorta meh. Didn't get to see the on-campus library or on-campus gym during the tour. Two of the ambassadors were asked if they were planning on taking USMLE, if the school encourages it, if the school provides resources for it, anything. The two students had an identical view about it which I guess stems down from the university itself. In short, they stated, "No, we won't be taking it. Program directors should be able to look at our COMLEX and see how well we did. If we do well on that, why risk taking another exam and do poorly on it. Taking both exams would be a no-win situation, because if you do well on COMLEX residency programs should assume you'd do well on USMLE."

A 3rd year student was talking about rotations, which appeared to be by all of their accounts preceptor-based. The student was asked if the majority of the rotations are preceptor or if there's a good mix of ward based, etc. The student didn't know what ward-based was. The dude that actually asked the question had to explain what the difference was between preceptor and ward-based.
The presentation for the school mentions no usmle, no view on the merger, no discussion from the dean about matching into acgme accredited programs. With all of this, I didnt get a great vibe from the school and it's future.
You didn't miss out on anything by not seeing the library. As far as the gym, I can't really comment on it as I have never gone and checked it out.
As for the USMLE, I'd say the school has a neutral stance on it. They don't really bring it up much. Once or twice they may have said consider taking it if you want a competitive specialty. They have some electronic resources available for it through the library but it's not any of the high yield resources that anyone uses. It's unfortunate to hear that the two students you talked to were so ill-informed.
The rotations very much are preceptor-based. I myself have had pretty descent rotations so far but I have a few classmates who have had some not so pleasant ones.

You didn't miss out on anything by not seeing the library. As far as the gym, I can't really comment on it as I have never gone and checked it out.
As for the USMLE, I'd say the school has a neutral stance on it. They don't really bring it up much. Once or twice they may have said consider taking it if you want a competitive specialty. They have some electronic resources available for it through the library but it's not any of the high yield resources that anyone uses. It's unfortunate to hear that the two students you talked to were so ill-informed.
The rotations very much are preceptor-based. I myself have had pretty descent rotations so far but I have a few classmates who have had some not so pleasant ones.
Hey thanks for the reply first and foremost. Overall it still would've been nice to see everything the school has to offer ya know? And i was hoping to be impressed by this school as it's relatively close to home. But i have an acceptance to an original 5 DO school and i wont be able to convince myself that the proximity of this school to home and staying in a location without many ward based rotations can overcome everything that school has to offer with its history, reputation, and university support for students taking and doing well on both boards/matching into acgme residencies ya know?

4th year at MUCOM currently on the interview trail. I'd be happy to answer or clarify any questions about MUCOM over PM.

Members don't see this ad :)

I can chime in on the gym if that matters...it is really nice and definitely good enough for my needs. I stopped my membership at the local healthplex because the campus gym is "free" (with tuition). It has all the machines, free weights, other weights for people who lift (not me lol), and all kinds of cardio machines with state of the art tech like netflix apps and cool videos to make it look like you're running or biking through a different scene.

Also, the school doesn't particularly emphasize USMLE because it's a DO school and COMLEX is the first priority...which isn't a bad thing. There are programs who find the COMLEX great and equal to the USMLE, while there are other specialties who would rather have the USMLE...but that is becoming less common/more outdated. They definitely open up the talk about the USMLE and your options starting second year. I have heard about it constantly and am in the midst of deciding myself. In terms of the merger, we've had the directer of the NBOME and other osteopathic organizations come here to answer questions we have and they've been pretty informative. And the school def provides resources. The library has all of the books...they are by no means COMLEX only. We get PDFs of first aid, board review series, things like that for free. So there are plenty of options and plenty of opportunities to find what you need about the USMLE. not trying to convince you to come here, but just wanted to let others on here know. (saw you were prob going to another school on a later post)

Does anyone know the average score here for boards (not percentage of people that passed)?

For those of you who have done friday interviews, what time where you finished?

Anyone recall what the average wait time is to get a response back? I THINK we were told the following Thursday or Tuesday the next week post interview. not sure if that rings any bells. Interviewed Sat Nov 10th.

Thank you !! Any suggestions for the interview? Or any explanation on how the day went?

I looked over MMI scenarios and then just made sure I knew the answers to "why DO, why MU-COM, etc." I would also prepare questions for the students! The entire day was pretty chill and not too stress-inducing, if you ask me!

Anyone recall what the average wait time is to get a response back? I THINK we were told the following Thursday or Tuesday the next week post interview. not sure if that rings any bells. Interviewed Sat Nov 10th.

You typically hear back the Thursday after or the next Thursday. So if you interviewed this past Saturday, you should hear tomorrow (11/15) or 11/22. However, since 11/22 is thanksgiving, you might want to double check.

I interviewed Saturday as well. Thursday or Tuesday is correct. If they are unable to meet Tuesday, it would be the Thursday after Thanksgiving.

Email that my file wasn't reviewed, another few days wait now

Ugh. Waitlisted today... Not sure what the likelihood would be now of even getting in. seems like a really cool school.

Can someone explain the mini interview sessions and what the"cases" are?

Still giving out IIs yet?

Hey guys. 4th year here currently applying to anesthesia. Feel free to ask any questions either on here or via PM.

I looked over MMI scenarios and then just made sure I knew the answers to "why DO, why MU-COM, etc." I would also prepare questions for the students! The entire day was pretty chill and not too stress-inducing, if you ask me!
Can you further explain the MM1 questions!?

Can you further explain the MM1 questions!?

Unfortunately, no one can or really should. All of us who interviewed signed an NDA (if I remember correctly, if not, the threat was there) and don’t want to risk losing a seat due to a post here. Sorry we can’t be more help, but if you look up example mmi cases you should get the gist.

Unfortunately, no one can or really should. All of us who interviewed signed an NDA (if I remember correctly, if not, the threat was there) and don’t want to risk losing a seat due to a post here. Sorry we can’t be more help, but if you look up example mmi cases you should get the gist.
No this is awesome thank you so much!! To be honest, I had no idea! Thank you for providing clarity i appreciate it. Best of luck to you.

Is there any sites you would recommend for MMI scenarios?

No this is awesome thank you so much!! To be honest, I had no idea! Thank you for providing clarity i appreciate it. Best of luck to you.

Okay, I’m sorry again. I know it’s frustrating to not get a more explanatory answer. It’s really not bad at all. I liked it more than talking about myself by far, but I guess that’s personal preference. I was waitlisted, but I believe that was mostly due to my honest answer that Marian was not incredibly high on my list and my general lukewarm/cold attitude towards the school.

Is there any sites you would recommend for MMI scenarios?

I googled MMI examples medical school and used the first few hits. I couldn’t give you a specific site. They helped prepare me, though. And I have to also say that they really weren’t bad at all so don’t feel like you need to over prepare.

Email today. Application on hold, will be contacted in 3-4 weeks again. Pre-II

Can any current students comment on any potential issues that could arise from MU-COM shortening their semesters?

Edit: aside from the obvious-- more material in a shorter amount of time.

Last edited:
So ive seen a couple posts on SDN now about a curriculun change. Is that true? I interviewed three weeks ago and they mentioned nothing about it at the interview day.

So ive seen a couple posts on SDN now about a curriculun change. Is that true? I interviewed three weeks ago and they mentioned nothing about it at the interview day.
Yes, they are transitioning from 19-week semesters to 16-week semesters.

Hey does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after an interview?

I can speak for tour guides when I say that we are second years and don’t know anything at all about a curriculum change, mostly bc it is like brand new less than a month ago, and it won’t affect us since we start rotations next year...that’s why you wouldn’t have heard about it from the student panel or tour guides. As far as from the faculty, they probably also have little info but I’m sure if you email they will gladly give you more info

i've gotten 3 emails within 2 weeks, since I got rejected pre-II to consider their BMS program. #obnoxious lol

I have an interview here tomorrow ! Any final tips? I have been reading a ton of “medical school interview” books and I have been practicing MMI questions.

I have an interview here tomorrow ! Any final tips? I have been reading a ton of “medical school interview” books and I have been practicing MMI questions.
Dont practice anymore. You'll be fine! Take the night off