2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i guess that depends on your stats and how many spots are left in the class. your chances at getting in decrease the later you apply. schools get more picky later in the cycle. so if you've got a 528 and 4.0 with Ivy-league ECs then you're fine. the further away you are from that standard the less likely you are to get in. But at least you've got a chance now that you've applied. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I just wasn't sure if they just sent me a secondary because I met their technical requirements. Doesn't hurt to try though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was offered an interview a few months ago but turned it down because I was already accepted somewhere else. But for some reason I decided to log back in to see if I could and I could still schedule another interview. Long story short, for those still waiting, I saw a few days left in March but didn't look any farther than that. So there's still hope! Good luck!

I was offered an interview a few months ago but turned it down because I was already accepted somewhere else. But for some reason I decided to log back in to see if I could and I could still schedule another interview. Long story short, for those still waiting, I saw a few days left in March but didn't look any farther than that. So there's still hope! Good luck!
Do you know how many people are usually interviewed per day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance. Do you mind sharing your MCAT section breakdown either on here or by messaging me? I have a similar profile. Thanks
125 chem/phys, 123 CARS, 125 bio/biochem, 123 psyc/soc

Hey all. I was on the campus for another event late last year. It’s a nice space. I didn’t apply this cycle due to a prereq issue but I’m planning on doing it next cycle if I don’t get in this year. Can anyone comment on how hard they push OMM and primary care? Thanks.

Do you know how many people are usually interviewed per day?
Hi Mingalabae,
We noticed no one has responded to you, so we thought we would respond. We interview either 18 or 36 applicants per interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
When is the next time the alternative list will be reviewed? Thanks!

When is the next time the alternative list will be reviewed? Thanks!
I think they review it after the traffic deadline when everyone can only hold one acceptance so March/April I think

Hi Mingalabae,
We noticed no one has responded to you, so we thought we would respond. We interview either 18 or 36 applicants per interview day.
Thanks for letting me know!

Does anyone have any advice for the interview/have numbers on the post interview acceptance rate?

Does anyone have any advice for the interview/have numbers on the post interview acceptance rate?

It varies each year. You can see the exact numbers on their website. I believe last year (Class of 2022) was roughly 55% acceptance rate including acceptances from the waitlist later on. I believe for my class (2021) it was closer 65%. The info on their website has class profiles for all of the current classes if you want to see the variations.

As far as the interview, be yourself! They’re genuinely trying to get a feel for you and your personality.

Members don't see this ad :)

IS post-interview acceptance rate: 81.61%
OOS post-interview acceptance rate: 58.87%
Source

As for the interview, same advice as above: be your genuine and honest self. One of my interviewers here explicitly told me that his only job is to make sure that interviewees were thoughtful, respectful, and mature enough to start medical school. They're not looking for specific personalities or correct answers, just an awareness that you know what you're getting into and you're prepared to think about things.

I submitted my primary with LORs in September, and submitted my secondary on 2/4. Application says that LORs have not been received. The instructions about LORs that they provide are not very clear; unsure if I'm supposed to wait 2 weeks from submitting my primary or secondary to expect them to have processed the LORs. I have had no problems with any other schools regarding my LORs. Did you guys have a similar experience? I'm hesitant to contact especially because they really emphasize not emailing or calling about it.

I submitted my primary with LORs in September, and submitted my secondary on 2/4. Application says that LORs have not been received. The instructions about LORs that they provide are not very clear; unsure if I'm supposed to wait 2 weeks from submitting my primary or secondary to expect them to have processed the LORs. I have had no problems with any other schools regarding my LORs. Did you guys have a similar experience? I'm hesitant to contact especially because they really emphasize not emailing or calling about it.
Yeah, it happened to me. I was concerned and emailed them. They were very helpful.

Thank you guys for the help! Any tips on the mmi? It'll be my first time ever doing it and I'm kinda psyching myself out about it

Does anyone have any ideas on how far the waitlist moves? I think someone at interview day said it moves quite a bit but I can’t remember.

Accepted today. Extremely grateful. Now I have a tough decision to make.

Reactions: 4 users
If you go to MUCOM, do you definitely need a car?

No necessarily for the first two years; there’s a handful of people that don’t have one. But you’ll end up needing one for rotations, I’m sure—although I suppose you could Uber everyday if you really wanted to.

No necessarily for the first two years; there’s a handful of people that don’t have one. But you’ll end up needing one for rotations, I’m sure—although I suppose you could Uber everyday if you really wanted to.

Thanks! Sorry -- also, how frequent are exams?

Thanks! Sorry -- also, how frequent are exams?

It really depends on the course—Foundations and Anatomy exams are on the same day and are about a month apart. Once system courses start, they’re usually 2-3 weeks apart. Most course directors try to put exams with natural breaks in the material so some exams cover more and some less.

Why are they doing this? For more time for dedicated board prep?

While I don’t think board prep time will actually change in total, I’m fairly confident this was not the reason. It sounded as if it mostly a financial decision—as our schedule now coincides with the undergrads. No needing to keep the library open, keep Aramark open in our building. They may (?) be paying staff less—I don’t know this for a fact though.

Interviewed a few days ago and am thinking of sending an LOI. How much of a difference does this make to the admissions committee?

Interviewed a few days ago and am thinking of sending an LOI. How much of a difference does this make to the admissions committee?
I probably wouldn’t until after you get your admissions decision. If you get waitlisted it may help when it comes time for them to review the waitlist to fill empty seats.

Anyone know about taking a missing prerequisite before attending MUCOM? Have an upcoming interview, so I have not been accepted or anything...but am thinking ahead about taking Sociology in the summer before matriculating if given the opportunity.

Hey guys, current OMS-I here. Just a reminder to those discouraged not to lose hope. I interviewed in March and didn't get accepted off the waitlist until late July. Hang in there!

While I don’t think board prep time will actually change in total, I’m fairly confident this was not the reason. It sounded as if it mostly a financial decision—as our schedule now coincides with the undergrads. No needing to keep the library open, keep Aramark open in our building. They may (?) be paying staff less—I don’t know this for a fact though.
I think they said something about how they wanted to leave more time for Research/more summer time should students want to. I think previous students complained about this so they adjusted it.

Hey Guys,
I applied to MU-COM in July but was unable to be reviewed by the committee due to not having a DO letter. A few weeks ago they notified me saying my application is now being reviewed. My stats aren't incredible either. Is it wrong to have the slightest bit of hope at this point?

Hey Guys,
I applied to MU-COM in July but was unable to be reviewed by the committee due to not having a DO letter. A few weeks ago they notified me saying my application is now being reviewed. My stats aren't incredible either. Is it wrong to have the slightest bit of hope at this point?

Did you have a physician letter at all? And what are your stats like?

Hey Guys,
Hey! MU-COM doesn't require a DO letter. Any physician letter will suffice! I would imagine that they are being a little more selective now but they still apparently have quite a few spots left and have been known to have an active waitlist. You never know!

Hey guys, current OMS-I here. Just a reminder to those discouraged not to lose hope. I interviewed in March and didn't get accepted off the waitlist until late July. Hang in there!
Hey there, can I PM you for questions about housing options? Thanks!

Current OMS-II here, any particular information you’re looking for? I can say “yes we have diversity” but I don’t think that’s particularly useful.
Hey there, can I PM you about first-year housing?