2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lawper, May 12, 2018.

1. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    I wouldn't upload a photo of your license... Are you in school right now? Maybe update with new semester grades, mention youre now a certified emt and what you plan to do with the certification (volunteer, get a job, etc), and then include how you really loved the school and would like to attend there over your other options (if you have other options, if not then just focus on why you liked it and why it's one of your top choices)

student-of-life likes this.
  2. Treebeard

I would not bother uploading the license - just mention in the LOI as a "btw this is what I'm up to until med school..."

student-of-life and ResortCasual like this.
  3. NabobSamurai

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    +1. Guess we'll know in a month if it meant anything.

4. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Wait why in a month? I thought no one hears back until March.

5. Sheiko

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    During my interview they said we can expect to hear back by the end of January

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    freedoctor17 likes this.
  6. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Oh wow for some reason i thought they said they release all at once in March. I interviewed here early on though so might just be misremembering. I'll have to check my notes and see what i wrote.

7. ironenigma

They switched up the timeline a decent amount this year. Interviews ended a month earlier than last cycle so it makes sense that they'd move up admissions decisions as well. Less waiting for us I guess lol

freedoctor17 likes this.
  8. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Oh that's nice to hear, glad i saw this then since i thought I'd still have plenty of time to send updates in. Guess i should send one in sooner rather than later.

9. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

“Initial offers of acceptance (or appointment) will begin following the interview season, typically late January through mid-February. The waitlist will be created by the end of February. Offers of acceptance from the waitlist will be made until the first day of class in mid-July.”

Source: How to Apply

truewolvgocrim1 likes this.
  10. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

If i have an acceptance at a school that i liked better but i would still go here over it if they have a better financial aid package than my current acceptance would it be ok to send a letter of interest just stating this is one of my top choices or is this one of those cases where it'd be better for me to just wait it out? Maybe I'll just upload an update to show I'm still interested without stating it?

11. theKingLT

Pre-Medical
    I would send a letter of interest

freedoctor17 likes this.
  12. Nym.Pseudo

Pre-Medical
    Received one yesterday--have to imagine it's a positive sign.

13. dinochickennugget

Same here. Praying it means something, and not just like the highly ranked debacle last year lol.

14. DNAMFP

Pre-Medical
    When did those who received this email interview?

15. dinochickennugget

Early October for me. But for some reason I haven't gotten the "You've been ranked" email. Still wondering if that email just slipped through the cracks or something. Mayo's my top choice, so hopefully it's a good sign.

16. meronebib

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I hope so too, but I think all of us received the email from the same interviewer... I think it's just a nice gesture more than anything!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. dinochickennugget

I guess we'll find out soon enough. Good luck to all of you guys, hope your holidays have been stress-free! Well as stress-free as this process can get.

meronebib likes this.
  18. DoctorSnow

Pre-Medical
    Quick question, did you guys assume arizona campus was identical stats as the minnesota campus?

19. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Yeah

DoctorSnow and Golden_Caramel like this.
  20. Callice

May i please request for help to get Scholarship or grants to study medicine anywhere abroad at any affordable terms and conditions. I am done with high school in united republic of Tanzania taking science subjects and in return i am looking for scholarship and grants to study medicine..Anyone to help please?

21. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Hey, this isn't the best place to post this. You should make a new thread in the premed section of the forums.

As a heads up though if you're international it's very difficult to get into medical school in the United States let alone get a scholarship. You'd need to go to college first in the US, so amazingly well in college and on the mcat then apply in the hopes of getting a scholarship which is very slim.

I know other countries offer free medical school to those accepted but im not sure how likely it is to get accepted to those programs. Anyways like ii mentioned make a new thread about this and other more qualified people will hopefully be able to help you.

22. World'sOkayestSkier

I feel like you can tell them Mayo's your top choice if you can swing it financially. That sounds like a level-headed response that I could get behind if I worked in admissions.

freedoctor17 likes this.
  23. Treebeard

This isn't an assumption, it is the case. I've seen the data.

DoctorSnow likes this.
  24. ResortCasual

Medical Student
    I didn’t hear about my financial aid package until after I had accepted the spot in the class

freedoctor17 likes this.
  25. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Is that normal or did you get pulled from the wait list or something? I definitely wouldn't be able to commit anywhere without financial aid info.

26. truewolvgocrim1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think they are saying you can secure your spot, get financial aid, then commit to enroll. In this case, I think accepting a spot and enrolling/matriculating are two different things. E.g. you can accept your position at multiple schools but only commit to one. I think Mayo gives financial aid after the former.

freedoctor17 likes this.
  27. catlady87

When you get an offer of admission, you have two weeks to accept or decline and (usually) put down a deposit. This is standard at pretty much every school.

You can accept multiple offers and be holding multiple seats until April 30th (or thereabouts, that was the date last year). At that point, you have to choose the school you will attend and withdraw from the others.

All schools I was admitted to gave financial aid info well ahead of the decision date, April 30th, so that it could factor into the decision. Last year, Mayo gave out packages in March, several weeks after acceptances had gone out. If you get admitted off the waitlist, they also give financial aid info promptly and before you have to make a decision.

#527 catlady87, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  28. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Ok thanksfor the clarification! That makes more sense.

29. Pikachuchu

Does anyone know if there's an additional financial aid form we need to fill out in addition to FAFSA or if we need to send copies of taxes to their financial aid office to receive aid?

30. Treebeard

Just FAFSA

Pikachuchu and Orangecat1234 like this.
  31. ResortCasual

Medical Student
    You will need to include your parental income on your FAFSA.

32. MDMPH Goal

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    same- It seemed like code for maybe send a letter of interest/ intent sooner rather than later?

Sheiko likes this.
  33. Yooooomedschools

Did anyone who already sent a letter of intent/interest get the email from their interviewer?

truewolvgocrim1 likes this.
  34. Sheiko

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wonder that myself

I sent a letter of intent and haven't heard from my interviewer

35. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

I got an email from my interviewer recently and sent a letter of interest in response. Pretty much told them I liked the school and its up there in my top choices but didn't say it was my number one since that will depend on the costs for me (which I mentioned in what i hope was an appropriate way). Sounded like they just wanted to know if we were still interested in the school.

36. MDMPH Goal

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely. I sent my letter of interest as a response and was told it would be shared with the committee.

freedoctor17 likes this.
  37. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Ok pretty much got the same response on my end

38. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Also in the email it said their interview season is over in case anyone was wondering and that decisions will be made soon for those who interviewed. No exact date but I'm guessing if they're sending these emails out there will be a committee meeting sometime within the next few weeks?

ResortCasual likes this.
  39. ironenigma

Their final meeting is January 14th, IIRC. Hopefully we hear soon after that!

40. cm58

Agreed. Last year decisions were sent out around Valentine’s Day so I’m going to try not to expect anything until then...

41. theKingLT

Pre-Medical
    At my interview they told us acceptance would be sent out mid to late February. Kind of weird it's so late if their last meeting is jan. 14th

42. vidiviciveni

They interviewed in January last year so we may hear sooner this year..

chemE_MD, Sheiko and theKingLT like this.
  43. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

At my interview (early on in the cycle) they said by end of March and someone else on here said they told them by the end of January. It sounds to me like they didn't have an exact date set at the beginning and slowly kept pushing it up as they saw how far along they were? I'm just happy to hear we won't have to wait all the way until March like i originally thought.

44. Sheiko

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They told me end of January, and I interviewed in November so your theory seems reasonable

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

chemE_MD and freedoctor17 like this.
  45. LACMA

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello, for the FAFSA, are we supposed to put mayo MN's code in? i vaguely remember someone saying that but wanted to double check. There's no mayo medical school code when i search for one in AZ.

46. Golden_Caramel

Yes! On that note, does anyone know how much parental information is required by Mayo for the FAFSA? There are a few questions that ask about parental income, parental assets

#546 Golden_Caramel, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    LACMA likes this.
  47. Orangecat1234

We have to fill it out to be considered for needs based aid. I made my mom an account and we filled it out using the IRS tool which was easy. If your parents are divorced, fill out the parent who you last lived with.

ResortCasual and Golden_Caramel like this.
  48. LACMA

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also maybe I’m just being a little paranoid, but I sent a LOI along with my thank you notes back in November and never got a reply or anything to confirm that they received it. Should I be worried?

49. Da King In Da Norf

Pre-Medical
    +1 for LOI.
    Got an acknowledgement for thank you notes.

50. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

I think they're replying to people who didnt send one to see if theyre still interested?

I sent an update a few weeks ago and in the email i got they mentioned "along with the other info you sent in, is there anything else youd like to let the committee know before we meet" so it seems like they were hinting that they wanted to know if we were still interested.