2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
same- It seemed like code for maybe send a letter of interest/ intent sooner rather than later?

I wonder that myself

Did anyone who already sent a letter of intent/interest get the email from their interviewer?

I sent a letter of intent and haven't heard from my interviewer

Members don't see this ad.

same- It seemed like code for maybe send a letter of interest/ intent sooner rather than later?

I got an email from my interviewer recently and sent a letter of interest in response. Pretty much told them I liked the school and its up there in my top choices but didn't say it was my number one since that will depend on the costs for me (which I mentioned in what i hope was an appropriate way). Sounded like they just wanted to know if we were still interested in the school.

I got an email from my interviewer recently and sent a letter of interest in response. Pretty much told them I liked the school and its up there in my top choices but didn't say it was my number one since that will depend on the costs for me (which I mentioned in what i hope was an appropriate way). Sounded like they just wanted to know if we were still interested in the school.

Definitely. I sent my letter of interest as a response and was told it would be shared with the committee.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also in the email it said their interview season is over in case anyone was wondering and that decisions will be made soon for those who interviewed. No exact date but I'm guessing if they're sending these emails out there will be a committee meeting sometime within the next few weeks?

Their final meeting is January 14th, IIRC. Hopefully we hear soon after that!
Agreed. Last year decisions were sent out around Valentine’s Day so I’m going to try not to expect anything until then...

Reactions: 2 users
Their final meeting is January 14th, IIRC. Hopefully we hear soon after that!
At my interview they told us acceptance would be sent out mid to late February. Kind of weird it's so late if their last meeting is jan. 14th

At my interview they told us acceptance would be sent out mid to late February. Kind of weird it's so late if their last meeting is jan. 14th

At my interview (early on in the cycle) they said by end of March and someone else on here said they told them by the end of January. It sounds to me like they didn't have an exact date set at the beginning and slowly kept pushing it up as they saw how far along they were? I'm just happy to hear we won't have to wait all the way until March like i originally thought.

At my interview (early on in the cycle) they said by end of March and someone else on here said they told them by the end of January. It sounds to me like they didn't have an exact date set at the beginning and slowly kept pushing it up as they saw how far along they were? I'm just happy to hear we won't have to wait all the way until March like i originally thought.
They told me end of January, and I interviewed in November so your theory seems reasonable

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, for the FAFSA, are we supposed to put mayo MN's code in? i vaguely remember someone saying that but wanted to double check. There's no mayo medical school code when i search for one in AZ.

Hello, for the FAFSA, are we supposed to put mayo MN's code in? i vaguely remember someone saying that but wanted to double check. There's no mayo medical school code when i search for one in AZ.

Yes! On that note, does anyone know how much parental information is required by Mayo for the FAFSA? There are a few questions that ask about parental income, parental assets

Last edited:
Yes! On that note, does anyone know how much parental information is required by Mayo for the FAFSA? There are a few questions that ask about parental income, parental assets

We have to fill it out to be considered for needs based aid. I made my mom an account and we filled it out using the IRS tool which was easy. If your parents are divorced, fill out the parent who you last lived with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also maybe I’m just being a little paranoid, but I sent a LOI along with my thank you notes back in November and never got a reply or anything to confirm that they received it. Should I be worried?

Also maybe I’m just being a little paranoid, but I sent a LOI along with my thank you notes back in November and never got a reply or anything to confirm that they received it. Should I be worried?
+1 for LOI.
Got an acknowledgement for thank you notes.

I think they're replying to people who didnt send one to see if theyre still interested?

I sent an update a few weeks ago and in the email i got they mentioned "along with the other info you sent in, is there anything else youd like to let the committee know before we meet" so it seems like they were hinting that they wanted to know if we were still interested.

If I uploaded my docs onto the portal I should be good to go right and the AdComs should be able to see it just fine even though I never sent them an email or anything?

If I uploaded my docs onto the portal I should be good to go right and the AdComs should be able to see it just fine even though I never sent them an email or anything?

Yep, i uploaded an update and the email i got from an interviewer acknowledged they saw it

Did you get the interviewer email before or after you sent an LOI?

I uploaded an update early december not a letter of intent. Then I got an email from my interviewer around new years asking if there was anything else I wanted to share besides the update before the committee meets. I just responded with a short letter saying I really liked the school and explaining what I liked and that I would definitely attend pending financial info from all the places im accepted.

I sent in a letter of interest, then my interwiewer emailed me personally in response to that. Also, I got confirmation that my TY notes and LOI had been received, added to my file, and would be shared with the committee.

I sent in a letter of interest, then my interwiewer emailed me personally in response to that. Also, I got confirmation that my TY notes and LOI had been received, added to my file, and would be shared with the committee.
Did you upload through the portal or email it to Admissions?

Just a heads up to everyone, got some new info that apparently admission decisions won't be going out until mid-February, instead of end of January.

Lovely! Thank you! Do you know what led to that shift by any chance?

Just a heads up to everyone, got some new info that apparently admission decisions won't be going out until mid-February, instead of end of January.

Oh man February is gonna be a rough month, will now be expecting 5 decisions then. Seems like a lot of schools will be releasing decisions then.

Damn, is that straight from admissions?

Oh man February is gonna be a rough month, will now be expecting 5 decisions then. Seems like a lot of schools will be releasing decisions then.

I’m in a similar position, expecting several decisions in February. Hopefully I have a good birthday in February.

:( so many feb decisions too, hopefully it will be a good month.

I think they're replying to people who didnt send one to see if theyre still interested?

I sent an update a few weeks ago and in the email i got they mentioned "along with the other info you sent in, is there anything else youd like to let the committee know before we meet" so it seems like they were hinting that they wanted to know if we were still interested.
I sent a LOI and got the email from my interviewer about 2 weeks later.

I sent a LOI and got the email from my interviewer about 2 weeks later.

Huh, then that ruins my theory.

On another note I kinda regret mentioning financials in my email though now that i think about it. I hope that didn't come off as weird since i was just trying to be honest. But now that ii think about it mayo has always been great with financial aid so it might not have been necessary at all.

After saying what i liked about mayo and my interest i added in something along the lines of "id love to have the opportunity to attend mayo although financials will play a large role in my final decision of where to attend medical school"

Their email sounded like they wanted to see of we were committed to go there if accepted and i didnt want to say i was 100% since im likely going to attend my cheapest option. If mayo is my cheapest option then i would definitely attend though so that's kinda the vibe I was hoping to give.

Edit: also the reason i mentioned all that was because i wanted to see if anyone thinks that was weird/inappropriate to say or not lol.

On another note I kinda regret mentioning financials in my email though now that i think about it. I hope that didn't come off as weird since i was just trying to be honest. But now that ii think about it mayo has always been great with financial aid so it might not have been necessary at all.

After saying what i liked about mayo and my interest i added in something along the lines of "id love to have the opportunity to attend mayo although financials will play a large role in my final decision of where to attend medical school"

Their email sounded like they wanted to see of we were committed to go there if accepted and i didnt want to say i was 100% since im likely going to attend my cheapest option. If mayo is my cheapest option then i would definitely attend though so that's kinda the vibe I was hoping to give.

Edit: also the reason i mentioned all that was because i wanted to see if anyone thinks that was weird/inappropriate to say or not lol.
I said the same thing in mine. I don't think it's weird. If I were an adcom I would appreciate the honesty.

I said the same thing in mine. I don't think it's weird. If I were an adcom I would appreciate the honesty.

Ok definitely makes me feel better that i wasn't the only one. Hopefully they are thinking in a similar way to us haha.

I think they would much more appreciate your honesty rather than you telling that you are 100% committed to come there and then matriculate somewhere else.

I think they would much more appreciate your honesty rather than you telling that you are 100% committed to come there and then matriculate somewhere else.

To add on, I think I remember a current student saying that he basically told them this in his letter of interest and they accepted him and gave him great aid.

I mean, the average student at Mayo gets like $35k a year. So basically everyone gets great aid.

Edit: I suppose the methodology of that calculation isn't provided on their site--it's possible they are claiming that students who are awarded a scholarship receive $35 on average, as opposed to the average student receives $35k.

Last edited:
Has anyone put in their FAFSA yet for this school? Do we just use the Rochester address?

I did and i used the rochester one. Someone else posted on here that's what we should do and im trusting them lol

I did and i used the rochester one. Someone else posted on here that's what we should do and im trusting them lol
I remember them saying to use the Rochester ID at the interview. They dont have a seperate fin aid office at AZ

I mean, the average student at Mayo gets like $35k a year. So basically everyone gets great aid.

Edit: I suppose the methodology of that calculation isn't provided on their site--it's possible they are claiming that students who are awarded a scholarship receive $35 on average, as opposed to the average student receives $35k.

I forget the exact statistic but they said something like 75% of the class has at least some large chunk of the cost covered. Now that they got another huge donation for scholarships I'm sure it'll only increase this year.

I have received emails from each of my interviewers pretty much saying that they remember me, enjoyed meeting me, and they're available for questions if I have any. I'm happy that they're in contact but also confused as to the purpose of these emails... I'm scratching my head. Do they warrant a reply? Has anyone else gotten these?

I have received emails from each of my interviewers pretty much saying that they remember me, enjoyed meeting me, and they're available for questions if I have any. I'm happy that they're in contact but also confused as to the purpose of these emails... I'm scratching my head. Do they warrant a reply? Has anyone else gotten these?

Negative; radio silence for me.

Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard from my interviewer? I got an acknowledgement from the admissions office about my letter/updates, but not my interviewers.

Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard from my interviewer? I got an acknowledgement from the admissions office about my letter/updates, but not my interviewers.
I havent heatd from my interviewers if it makes you feel better

Same boat here; i’ve had radio silence from my interviewers. Can’t help but to worry since Mayo is my top choice...