2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same boat here; i’ve had radio silence from my interviewers. Can’t help but to worry since Mayo is my top choice...

Same. I haven't heard back from my interviewers either.

Members don't see this ad.

I also sent a LOI in early December and have gotten no response. Please update us if they respond to you :)
The next day Susan just sent an email saying that they received it and it's been reviewed by the committee. I think they probably just have a lot of letters to go through?

Did those of you that got replies to your thank you notes include your emails in the note? I don't think I did...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have received emails from each of my interviewers pretty much saying that they remember me, enjoyed meeting me, and they're available for questions if I have any. I'm happy that they're in contact but also confused as to the purpose of these emails... I'm scratching my head. Do they warrant a reply? Has anyone else gotten these?

I have now received emails from both interviewers as well, I'll be sending an LOI in response. I am assuming/hoping that's what they are looking for.

Haha last year it was the emails saying applicants were highly ranked and then rejecting most of them anyways.
This year it is interviewers reaching out to certain applicants for unknown reasons.
I wonder what they'll think of next year to increase our anxiety :p

Reactions: 3 users
Haha last year it was the emails saying applicants were highly ranked and then rejecting most of them anyways.
This year it is interviewers reaching out to certain applicants for unknown reasons.
I wonder what they'll think of next year to increase our anxiety :p
My prediction for next year:

Mayo: your number is 02-27
Applicants: what does it mean?! Is it my ranking, the date I'll hear back, some kind of code?!
Mayo: yes

Reactions: 10 users
I mean, the average student at Mayo gets like $35k a year. So basically everyone gets great aid.

Edit: I suppose the methodology of that calculation isn't provided on their site--it's possible they are claiming that students who are awarded a scholarship receive $35 on average, as opposed to the average student receives $35k.
I know a good number of students who received very little or no aid at all. The financial aid counselor talked to us during second look about it being an average. So 35K averaged over the entire class with some students having full aid, some having none, etc. Same goes with average graduation debt. So don't be entirely counting on receiving too much more in need-based aid than you would somewhere else.

Radio silence over here. Not even a response that they received my LOI...

Reactions: 1 user
I forget the exact statistic but they said something like 75% of the class has at least some large chunk of the cost covered. Now that they got another huge donation for scholarships I'm sure it'll only increase this year.
The dean of the medical school, Dean Meyer, said that with the donation they would continue to fund scholarships already given. When pressed he did not make any indication that their scholarships would be increased or that a larger number of students would receive them or in larger amounts.

I believe the % of the class with large amount of tuition covered includes those who have outside sources paying not just who the school itself covers

Radio silence over here. Not even a response that they received my LOI...
Same, I uploaded my LOI through the portal. I could be wrong, but I think if you use the portal they won't send you an email back.

For people who got emails from interviewers — are you guys replying with questions or what??

For people who got emails from interviewers — are you guys replying with questions or what??

I mean if you dont have questions just reply with a nice thank you for reaching out and say you dont have questions at the time. Maybe sneak in a little bit of interest in there too or what you liked about the school.

For example "dear dr. ...., Thank you for reaching out! Although I dont have any pressing questions at this time I will definitely reach out if I have any in the future. I really loved yada yada about Mayo and hope to have the opportunity to attend in the future"

At least thatst what i would say. I would feel weird not responding to an email directly from someone, and id also not want to ask any questions just for the sake of having something to say when i dint really have any.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused about the financial aid process.This might be a silly question, but should we be sending our FAFSA and additional fin aid form before we hear decisions? On the Mayo finaid website it says that they only process finaid for those accepted. So do we send the FAFSA only after an acceptance?

I'm a little confused about the financial aid process.This might be a silly question, but should we be sending our FAFSA and additional fin aid form before we hear decisions? On the Mayo finaid website it says that they only process finaid for those accepted. So do we send the FAFSA only after an acceptance?

At my interview day Susan made sure to repeat multiple times that we should submit our FAFSAs as early as possible. I think it helps them figure out your financial aid package before you get an acceptance and just makes everything easier for everyone. Send it in soon, cuz what if there's not enough financial aid to go around? doubt it... but that's what i've heard at other schools.

My impression of last year's process:

Even glowing emails from interviewers do not indicate acceptance is forthcoming. The "highly ranked" email can result in a wait list offer. Those appointed in the first wave can get substantial merit-based scholarships even without submitting a FAFSA, those appointed later get less merit money, and wait listers receive only need-based aid.

Although they ask for an LOI, it's not a requirement. Can't hurt to send one, though.

Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 4 users

Even glowing emails from interviewers do not indicate acceptance is forthcoming. The "highly ranked" email can result in a wait list offer. Those appointed in the first wave can get substantial merit-based scholarships even without submitting a FAFSA, those appointed later get less merit money, and wait listers receive only need-based aid.

Although they ask for an LOI, it's not a requirement. Can't hurt to send one, though.

Best of luck to all!

What do you mean by appointed in the first wave vs later? Aren't decisions released all at once at the end?

Edit: or did you mean later as in people who get accepted off the waitlist?

Best of luck to all!

The distinction between need-based and merit-based aid is pretty nebulous at Mayo. Most of the emails sent out last year mentioned financials and/or qualifications, so it’s hard to parse where merit ends and need begins. Wait-listers can and do receive extremely generous aid.

Because parental income and assets are used in calculating financial need, some applicants don't bother submitting a FAFSA. If you haven't turned one in, any tuition discount you receive is based on "merit" and is a measure of how much the school wants you in that class.

Has anyone else not received a "ranked" email? I interviewed about a month ago now and still have not received one...

Has anyone else not received a "ranked" email? I interviewed about a month ago now and still have not received one...

Never received a ranked email and I interviewed in early October. Lol. I did receive an email from one of interviewers though. No idea what to make of it

Rank emails do not mean anything. Every interviewee gets ranked. Also, the financial aid algorithm is the same for everybody. Just hang tight and wait for a phone call within the next few weeks. Good luck!

Also, the financial aid algorithm is the same for everybody. Just hang tight and wait for a phone call within the next few weeks. Good luck!

What do you mean by this? Like they don't give merit scholarships?

Last edited:
Rank emails do not mean anything. Every interviewee gets ranked. Also, the financial aid algorithm is the same for everybody. Just hang tight and wait for a phone call within the next few weeks. Good luck!

I know these are somewhat speculative, but based on your experience, what do you think about the letters from interviewers, have these been any indication of acceptance, and what about people who get only one interviewer email (or none), are they at a less likely place of receiving an acceptance?

@Rich Ties Do you think it would be too late to send a LOI right now? I think I heard that the committee would be meeting mid January either on here or somewhere else. Should I just save the letter for later in case I get waitlisted or should I go for it now? This school has been my top choice since interviewing, and I'd like to express that interest.

@Rich Ties Do you think it would be too late to send a LOI right now? I think I heard that the committee would be meeting mid January either on here or somewhere else. Should I just save the letter for later in case I get waitlisted or should I go for it now? This school has been my top choice since interviewing, and I'd like to express that interest.
If you are interested, send it in (now).

I know these are somewhat speculative, but based on your experience, what do you think about the letters from interviewers, have these been any indication of acceptance, and what about people who get only one interviewer email (or none), are they at a less likely place of receiving an acceptance?
I only had 1 interviewer email me back. Granted it was a very nicely written letter that was not generic so I kind of had an idea of where I stood as far as admissions. It is hard to say where you stand just in terms of letters from interviews. I would assume it’s different in every case.

Send it now!!

Did anyone else post-II get an email from admissions asking for feedback on the admissions process and/or updates and/or a statement of interest? I just got one today and I interviewed a few months back. Not sure what to make of it

Did anyone else post-II get an email from admissions asking for feedback on the admissions process and/or updates and/or a statement of interest? I just got one today and I interviewed a few months back. Not sure what to make of it
I haven't gotten this email; however, I have received a (somewhat) personalized email from one of my interviewers telling me I'd be a "great fit" for the program and asking if I have any questions. But knowing Mayo, I'm not holding my breath lol

Do we need to fill out financial aid stuff before or after acceptances?

I haven't gotten this email; however, I have received a (somewhat) personalized email from one of my interviewers telling me I'd be a "great fit" for the program and asking if I have any questions. But knowing Mayo, I'm not holding my breath lol
Yes, I got an email from my interviewer too last month. Hmm, interesting, maybe it's their way of hinting they like updates/interest letters. idk! PSA to send in updates/LOIs if you haven't already then!

Fill out before.
I submitted fafsa and added Mayo's school code months ago, but never received any request for additional materials from the financial aid office, nor an application complete confirmation. Is there anything more than FAFSA that they require?

any idea when decisions are going to be released? are they in waves?

any idea when decisions are going to be released? are they in waves?

All at once mid february. someone reported that they want to release the Arizona and minnesota campuses at the same time so they're delaying the release of the arizona until minnesota is ready.

Reactions: 1 users
Does Mayo Arizona have a different FAFSA School Code than Mayo - Minneosta?

Whoops. Feel like I missed a major boat here in terms of sending a letter of interest. Should I send one in as well? Or is it definitely too late at this point?

I mean even if it ends up being too late it won't hurt you so might as well send one, right? It might help and worst case it does nothing. Better than regretting not sending one later.

I mean even if it ends up being too late it won't hurt you so might as well send one, right? It might help and worst case it does nothing. Better than regretting not sending one later.

Facts. Ima do it!

Their final meeting is January 14th, IIRC. Hopefully we hear soon after that!

Is it still true that the 14th was the final day before which to send updates? I have a new update that I would like to send, but I would probably decide not to if their review has already been completed.

Is it still true that the 14th was the final day before which to send updates? I have a new update that I would like to send, but I would probably decide not to if their review has already been completed.
I don't think that is a hard deadline. It's more like after then they'd probably go over updates when they are seeing who to pick from the waitlist.

Excited for decisions to come out in a couple weeks!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
After this polar vortex in the Midwest I'm much more excited about Arizona :p, if only this had happened a little earlier i could've mentioned my motivation for getting away from the cold in my email back to my interviewer.

Reactions: 5 users
Historically, it seems like they release decisions during the 2nd week of Feb, and the AZ AdCom decided they wanted to release decisions at the same time as MN. So that's probably what we should expect.
I just bit the bullet and called the AZ admissions office. They said they were "still waiting for approval" and couldn't give an exact date yet, but they expect decisions to come out the second week of February, sometime towards the middle to the end of the week. So maybe the 13th through the 15th? It looks like last year decisions came out over a few days.

Also can I just give a shout out to Mayo for having such a friendly and personal admissions process? They're really so nice.

Reactions: 19 users