Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lawper, May 12, 2018.

1. Da King In Da Norf

Pre-Medical
    I sent an email and didn’t get the acknowledgment too.

2. wowdascoo

For people who got emails from interviewers — are you guys replying with questions or what??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    I mean if you dont have questions just reply with a nice thank you for reaching out and say you dont have questions at the time. Maybe sneak in a little bit of interest in there too or what you liked about the school.

For example "dear dr. ...., Thank you for reaching out! Although I dont have any pressing questions at this time I will definitely reach out if I have any in the future. I really loved yada yada about Mayo and hope to have the opportunity to attend in the future"

At least thatst what i would say. I would feel weird not responding to an email directly from someone, and id also not want to ask any questions just for the sake of having something to say when i dint really have any.

4. DaBreeze

I'm a little confused about the financial aid process.This might be a silly question, but should we be sending our FAFSA and additional fin aid form before we hear decisions? On the Mayo finaid website it says that they only process finaid for those accepted. So do we send the FAFSA only after an acceptance?

5. LACMA

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At my interview day Susan made sure to repeat multiple times that we should submit our FAFSAs as early as possible. I think it helps them figure out your financial aid package before you get an acceptance and just makes everything easier for everyone. Send it in soon, cuz what if there's not enough financial aid to go around? doubt it... but that's what i've heard at other schools.

DaBreeze likes this.
  6. TRT7

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My impression of last year's process:

Even glowing emails from interviewers do not indicate acceptance is forthcoming. The "highly ranked" email can result in a wait list offer. Those appointed in the first wave can get substantial merit-based scholarships even without submitting a FAFSA, those appointed later get less merit money, and wait listers receive only need-based aid.

Although they ask for an LOI, it's not a requirement. Can't hurt to send one, though.

Best of luck to all!

7. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    What do you mean by appointed in the first wave vs later? Aren't decisions released all at once at the end?

Edit: or did you mean later as in people who get accepted off the waitlist?

Orangecat1234 likes this.
  8. strugglingmedstudent

The distinction between need-based and merit-based aid is pretty nebulous at Mayo. Most of the emails sent out last year mentioned financials and/or qualifications, so it’s hard to parse where merit ends and need begins. Wait-listers can and do receive extremely generous aid.

9. TRT7

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Because parental income and assets are used in calculating financial need, some applicants don't bother submitting a FAFSA. If you haven't turned one in, any tuition discount you receive is based on "merit" and is a measure of how much the school wants you in that class.

10. premedliferip

Has anyone else not received a "ranked" email? I interviewed about a month ago now and still have not received one...

googleeyes likes this.
  11. LadyGlen

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Never received a ranked email and I interviewed in early October. Lol. I did receive an email from one of interviewers though. No idea what to make of it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...