2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!! This is my first invite. I am sooo stoked to see this place; it seems like a smaller, more manageable version of Mayo Rochester with a very high QoL... :love:

Complete 8/24, 3.91, 523, WARS 100.
QoL here is not bad at all depending on where you are from and Mayo is generous with their COA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any hikes in particular that you'd recommend? I'll also be staying an extra day also, and I love to hike, but mostly looking for something relatively close/easy to get to since I'll be flying out in the afternoon.
@Immunorunner would know more about them than I would. Hopefully he could recommend a nice trail for you.

Hello,

I have been getting conflicting answers but I heard Mayo changed its prescreening cutoffs, could someone confirm? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have been getting conflicting answers but I heard Mayo changed its prescreening cutoffs, could someone confirm? Thanks!
I am nearly certain that we would have no way of knowing this, so I don't think that any information you get on this page could provide what you are looking for.

I am nearly certain that we would have no way of knowing this, so I don't think that any information you get on this page could provide what you are looking for.

Thank you for responding to my question. I tried looking at the website, and there was no information regarding that information. Well the entire process must be truly holistic.

Thinking about adding Mayo AZ to my app. Has anyone had success (ii) at one/both schools using the same essays for prompts #2 and 3 at Mayo MN and AZ?

EDIT: I got put on hold at MN but I worked super hard on these essays and tbh still think they're really good, so I don't think they're why I didn't get an II (although of course anything is possible). I know several people have had luck at one school but not the other but idk if these people used the same essays
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I haven't gotten an interview at either so take what I have to say with a grain of salt anyway, but my understanding is that the two campuses have entirely different admissions committees. As such, I don't think it could hurt you to re-use your essays if you feel they are well-written. I'd be willing to bet that plenty of people who applied to both campuses re-used their essays. Good luck!

Thinking about adding Mayo AZ to my app. Has anyone had success (ii) at one/both schools using the same essays for prompts #2 and 3 at Mayo MN and AZ?

EDIT: I got put on hold at MN but I worked super hard on these essays and tbh still think they're really good, so I don't think they're why I didn't get an II (although of course anything is possible). I know several people have had luck at one school but not the other but idk if these people used the same essays
Used the same one for AZ that I used for MN, II at AZ and silence from MN (so far)

I used the same essays for both and have II’s to both

All this talk about pre-interview socials is making me wonder: did anyone else with interview dates in October not get the Student Ambassador email?

rejected by Mayo in MN.

Is it too late to apply here? Or worth it?

II just received! Complete 7/31, OOS. MN and AZ IIs, I'm so excited I can barely contain it! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now, so excited! OOS but used to live in Arizona.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got rejected. It literally has in the email:
Dearitsalwayssunny96],

They didn’t include a space between “Dear” and my name and for some reason included a bracket? I’m dying

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the R as well, not too surprised tho! Best of luck to everyone :)

Are there any hikes in particular that you'd recommend? I'll also be staying an extra day also, and I love to hike, but mostly looking for something relatively close/easy to get to since I'll be flying out in the afternoon.
Toms thumb is a great hike. There are also a number of trails off the Lost Dog trailhead, which is 2 miles from campus.

how long did it take for people to get their secondaries after their primary submission?

how long did it take for people to get their secondaries after their primary submission?
Mine took a little bit. I submitted my primary on the day it opened (so 6/29), and I got a secondary 7/16.

Just put on hold for AZ, but II at MN. Bummed since my girlfriend has an interview at Arizona med. Any idea what a hold means at this school? I was put on hold at UCSD as well which I know is like a soft rejection. Also, any possibility of transferring campuses if I get accepted to MN?

Just got put on hold for the AZ campus. I was also wondering if they’re one of the schools where hold=soft R?

Welp, also put on hold at AZ. No word yet from MN.

I'm thinking a hold is practically a rejection at the Mayo campuses because of the sheer number of applicants that they need to go through and the limited number of interview slots. But that is just me using logic rather than anything else.

On the "bright" (sorta) side, atleast our applications weren't bad enough to be rejected outright, right?

Just put on hold for AZ, but II at MN. Bummed since my girlfriend has an interview at Arizona med. Any idea what a hold means at this school? I was put on hold at UCSD as well which I know is like a soft rejection. Also, any possibility of transferring campuses if I get accepted to MN?
Someone mentioned it might be a soft R on previous threads. I doubt you'd be able to transfer since they're two separate campuses with 2 admissions committees

Welp, also put on hold at AZ. No word yet from MN.

I'm thinking a hold is practically a rejection at the Mayo campuses because of the sheer number of applicants that they need to go through and the limited number of interview slots. But that is just me using logic rather than anything else.

On the "bright" (sorta) side, atleast our applications weren't bad enough to be rejected outright, right?
still sitting in silence for both lol and I submitted almost 2 months ago

still sitting in silence for both lol and I submitted almost 2 months ago

Lol the way I see it, it probably means they like you more than me at this point. Unless it is something as stupid as my reviewer being super quick and your reviewer being all-time slow, I am thinking that your application isn't "bad" enough to get a hold or R after the first review.

Hang in there man!

Lol the way I see it, it probably means they like you more than me at this point. Unless it is something as stupid as my reviewer being super quick and your reviewer being all-time slow, I am thinking that your application isn't "bad" enough to get a hold or R after the first review.

Hang in there man!

I'm expecting an R again sometime in December like last time. The hold thing isn't that new right? Last cycle, I wasn't put on hold before a rejection

Hoping you're right Apps and my reviewer is just super slow!

All this talk about pre-interview socials is making me wonder: did anyone else with interview dates in October not get the Student Ambassador email?
We haven't sent out the invitations for the October interviewees yet.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I haven't gotten an interview at either so take what I have to say with a grain of salt anyway, but my understanding is that the two campuses have entirely different admissions committees. As such, I don't think it could hurt you to re-use your essays if you feel they are well-written. I'd be willing to bet that plenty of people who applied to both campuses re-used their essays. Good luck!
I reused both of my essays for the most part. I had to change a few minor things pertaining to each campus. There are members of the admission committees that communicate with each other from both campuses even though there are two separate applications.

I'm expecting an R again sometime in December like last time. The hold thing isn't that new right? Last cycle, I wasn't put on hold before a rejection

Hoping you're right Apps and my reviewer is just super slow!

I would definitely say silence > Hold. But unsure. Depends when you submitted probably. I submitted Early August and am put on hold.

Just got put on hold, is the consensus that hold = rejection?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

how soon did you guys recieve your secondary after submitting?

dang. I just submitted a week ago. Hope I didnt submit too late!

Submitted your primary or secondary?

I submitted my primary to them in the last week of August and got a secondary request just a few days later.