2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first II :soexcited: Was beginning to despair lol. Complete 7/22 and put on hold 8/16.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How was the experience? Any thoughts on the school youd like to share?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed my time there. It feels like a community and everyone from the students and staff are very welcoming. I was impressed with how much they want their students to succeed and of course they had amazing resources for the students. For the interview, be calm, mine were very conversational. Just know what makes Mayo Mayo; the patients and their needs come first.

Reactions: 1 user
Have people been receiving the "you have been ranked" email? Interviewed a while ago and haven't seen it come through.

Finally got it--one of my interviewers must have been playing hooky from review meetings.

Can maybe a current student or someone who is applying tell me how long is too long for a letter of intent (not that I'm planning on sending it now)? The draft I have is currently at 770 words which I would say if too long at most schools but considering how much emphasis they put on us telling them if we like them, I would say that might be okay. What do you guys think?

I think it's all substantial and has no real fluff, so if I had to cut something, it would be an entire reason I loved them. But I actually want them to read it so if it's too long then I might have to.

Can maybe a current student or someone who is applying tell me how long is too long for a letter of intent (not that I'm planning on sending it now)? The draft I have is currently at 770 words which I would say if too long at most schools but considering how much emphasis they put on us telling them if we like them, I would say that might be okay. What do you guys think?

I think it's all substantial and has no real fluff, so if I had to cut something, it would be an entire reason I loved them. But I actually want them to read it so if it's too long then I might have to.
I think mine was just under a page

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview confirmation email i got mentioned " Detailed information on parking and building location will be sent to you prior to your interview day." My interview is tomorrow and I still haven't gotten this information...is anyone else interviewing tomorrow and have you received anything? Or have past interviewees normally received anything before the interview?

And also, I realized I don't even know where to go for tomorrow's interview...would really appreciate any help/guidance. Should I call the office?

Got an interview in Jacksonville for the 2+2 program, advice from anyone who has done this interview please?

And also, I realized I don't even know where to go for tomorrow's interview...would really appreciate any help/guidance. Should I call the office?

I never got the additional email, either. I interviewed on Monday! In the email they did send there should have been a link to a campus map. When you drive there there are clear signs to follow to get to visitor parking (which is free and about 50 yards from the med school). Head to the med school based off the online campus map and someone will be there to greet you and show you where to go!

That should be fine. I think mine was about 1.5 pages. They will read it regardless.

Hello - Is there a pre-interview social event the evening before every interview? I have a Monday interview coming up and haven't heard anything about an event the night prior, although I've seen people talk about it in this thread. If there is an event the night before, what time does it start? thank you!

Hello - Is there a pre-interview social event the evening before every interview? I have a Monday interview coming up and haven't heard anything about an event the night prior, although I've seen people talk about it in this thread. If there is an event the night before, what time does it start? thank you!
Yes! There is always a pizza dinner at 6 PM the night before your interview. When is your interview? The student ambassadors should’ve sent the emails out, if not I can make them aware that some students did not receive the email. It is a very laid back event, just show up and enjoy. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Yes! There is always a pizza dinner at 6 PM the night before your interview. When is your interview? The student ambassadors should’ve sent the emails out, if not I can make them aware that some students did not receive the email. It is a very laid back event, just show up and enjoy. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thank you for the info and for your help! I'm interviewing on Monday 11/26. I did get an email from the student ambassadors about hosting, but didn't receive anything about the dinner. Thanks again!

For anyone interviewing on November 19th, I rented a car and will be driving back to the airport after the interview. If anyone wants a ride, you are more than welcome! I look forward to meeting anyone who is interviewing on the 19th!

@Rich Ties I am interviewing on Monday the 19th and have not heard anything about a pizza dinner.

Just got the ranked email this morning. Interviewed 11/5. Here’s hoping it was a good ranking!

Did any current students hear back that they were ranked longer than 4 weeks after their interview? I was interviewed early October and have not received the ranking email. Nervous about it

Did any current students hear back that they were ranked longer than 4 weeks after their interview? I was interviewed early October and have not received the ranking email. Nervous about it
In the same boat. Not too worried, figure my interviewer(s) is/are really busy and can’t make it to the meetings!

Jumping in here for the first time. Can someone clarify what should the letter of intent/interest contain? How long should it be? Should it be sent pre-interview or post-interview? Also, what kind of updates is the university looking for (minor vs. major updates)?

Everyone seems to be placing a huge emphasis on constant communication with Mayo.

Hey! So nice of you to offer I'm interviewing that day as well. Have you heard back from a student host yet?
Also interviewing this day, havent heard from student hosts yet

I was complete early August, but haven't heard anything (not even a hold). Is this normal?

Jumping in here for the first time. Can someone clarify what should the letter of intent/interest contain? How long should it be? Should it be sent pre-interview or post-interview? Also, what kind of updates is the university looking for (minor vs. major updates)?

Everyone seems to be placing a huge emphasis on constant communication with Mayo.
Mayo Clinic takes letters of interest and intent very seriously. With that being said, they want to make sure that you've thought about all of your options and that you think that this school would be the best fit for you. It should not be sent prior to your interview. In fact, I would wait several weeks to send out the letter. I wouldn't worry too much about the length of the letter but do not make it overwhelmingly long to read as the staff is very busy. Include why you like the school and how you think that it is the perfect fit for you (they like when your incorporate your values with mayo). As far as updates, I would only contact them if the update would some how help your application (new medical experience, research/publication, etc). If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone interviewing on November 19th, I rented a car and will be driving back to the airport after the interview. If anyone wants a ride, you are more than welcome! I look forward to meeting anyone who is interviewing on the 19th!

@Rich Ties I am interviewing on Monday the 19th and have not heard anything about a pizza dinner.
I apologize, there may be some errors with the emailing system. I will check with the student ambassadors about the issue. For anyone interviewing, there are pizza dinners 6PM the night prior to your interview at the medical school.

I apologize, there may be some errors with the emailing system. I will check with the student ambassadors about the issue. For anyone interviewing, there are pizza dinners 6PM the night prior to your interview at the medical school.
I just got the email

I was complete early August, but haven't heard anything (not even a hold). Is this normal?
I was complete late august and I'm on the same boat. I have no idea what to think of it... I mean good no rejection but why not just place us on hold? or invite us even better ;)

Does this have implications for financial aid for future med students at the AZ campus?
I don't think anyone knows at this point. With how connected they stress that the campuses are, I think it would be unlikely for them to just give it all to MN and leave AZ out to dry, but maybe that's just wishful thinking since I'm applying AZ

Does this have implications for financial aid for future med students at the AZ campus?

I don't think anyone knows at this point. With how connected they stress that the campuses are, I think it would be unlikely for them to just give it all to MN and leave AZ out to dry, but maybe that's just wishful thinking since I'm applying AZ

They weren't specific about what was being done with the donation. It was stated that the money was being used to maintain the scholarship program as well as to open new educational opportunities (MBA from Wharton and A.I. program through Carnegie Hall). The donation was for the school (not one particular campus). I know we are trying to transition to a tuition free medical soon but am unsure of when that would be. I think we would need another large donation for that to happen but it is in the works!

The masters in AI would be through Carnegie Mellon, as cool as Carnegie hall would be :).

But yes, the goal is to be tuition free within a few years.

They weren't specific about what was being done with the donation. It was stated that the money was being used to maintain the scholarship program as well as to open new educational opportunities (MBA from Wharton and A.I. program through Carnegie Hall). The donation was for the school (not one particular campus). I know we are trying to transition to a tuition free medical soon but am unsure of when that would be. I think we would need another large donation for that to happen but it is in the works!

Reactions: 1 users

Is Mayo already partnered with Wharton or looking to partner with them? First I heard about this!

Has anyone who sent in thank you emails for interviewers to the admissions inbox gotten confirmation that they were forwarded? I sent mine in a few days ago and have been telling myself that they must be super busy but in the back of my mind, I'm mildly paranoid that I sent them to the wrong address (despite checking 10+ times with the form in the interview day folder).

The masters in AI would be through Carnegie Mellon, as cool as Carnegie hall would be :).

But yes, the goal is to be tuition free within a few years.
Lmao! That’s what I meant, oops!

Has anyone who sent in thank you emails for interviewers to the admissions inbox gotten confirmation that they were forwarded? I sent mine in a few days ago and have been telling myself that they must be super busy but in the back of my mind, I'm mildly paranoid that I sent them to the wrong address (despite checking 10+ times with the form in the interview day folder).

It took about a week and half to get confirmation that my thank you letters were added to my file.

How many in-state seats does Mayo have? MSAR says 9 for MN but there is no info for AZ.

Does anybody know how far along their interview cycle they are? :)