Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lawper, May 12, 2018.

1. Lawper

Lawper In 3D
    Rocket Scientist Gold Donor SDN Ambassador 2+ Year Member

D. ESSAYS: Submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each)

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

2. We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mayo Medical School

#1 Lawper, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. chemistryteacher

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Following! Non-trad reapplicant. I didn't re-apply last cycle as I was taking some pretty drastic life-rearranging steps to improve my application.

SCN1a likes this.
  3. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Also a reapp. Applied last cycle. Had a consultation with admissions and she gave me hope that I may have a chance despite mt stats being super low for them.

acciobutterbeer likes this.
  4. thenucleusaccumbens

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Current Mayo med student here (at the MN campus) and I'm happy to answer any questions about my personal experience (feel free to send me a private message if you prefer). Also wanted to share some resources I posted in the thread from last year (edited out some stuff that had info that's no longer applicable)

Meet Mayo Med (Student-run blog) - Meet Mayo Med
    Student Review of Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Student Review: Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Prospective Doctor
    Med school's instagram account - Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (@mayoclinicsom) • Instagram photos and videos
    Info on Selectives (unique aspect of Mayo's curriculum):
    Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
    Student Reflections on Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
    another Mayo med student blog (with more posts about selectives) - All blog posts
    Curious about life in Rochester? - Rochester MN (run by Neurology professor at Mayo)

The following was originally compiled and posted by earf - note that info has been edited to remove what was no longer accurate

5. thenucleusaccumbens

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One of my friends was accepted as a reapplicant, so it definitely does happen!

buckoh24 likes this.
  6. bigeman101

Pre-Medical
    It would take a miracle and a half to get accepted here! Worth a shot ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. thenucleusaccumbens

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't think I would get accepted when I applied either. It was a huge reach for me; my GPA was low and I was worried because their average GPA is so high, but I had a solid MCAT and an upward trend. I really do think they are holistic in reviewing applicants.

esentr likes this.
  8. dodolol21

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

Was wondering what current students thought of the exceptionally small class size, is it a plus or minus? Do faculty get the chance to really know you well?

Also, how is the CATH / thoracic surgery dept. at Mayo? What about Ophtho?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. wholeheartedly

Staff Member Administrator Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Random curiosity question, does Mayo have AOA?

10. MarineMDHopeful

Pre-Medical
    Mayo does not have AOA or do any sort of internal ranking one of the main reasons its my dream school. Happy to be matriculating here, I obviously havent been a student yet but if anyone needs I can speak about the application/interview process.

thenucleusaccumbens likes this.
  11. fa21212

7+ Year Member

Does Mayo Rochester have the Science of Health Care delivery module or is it only in Arizona?

12. MarineMDHopeful

Pre-Medical
    Yes SHCD is in both. Its longitudinal throughout.

13. Unlimited Apps

Unlimited Apps King of Appetizers and Too Many MD Apps

Mayo is my top choice (and also a reach lol)! Good luck to everyone applying.

14. ComfySouthern

I am very interested in this school and specifically the Jacksonville camp. however, I did not see other camp. choices on the secondary. Can yo give me some information? How do I apply for this Jville camp.?

15. socloseithurts

10+ Year Member

All the students I've talked to seem to be positive about about their experience at Mayo. However, mandatory lecture is generally seen as a significant negative by students. I'm trying to reconcile people's positive experiences here with the mandatory lecture requirement. Any thoughts by current or past Mayo students on the mandatory lecture requirement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

16. Unlimited Apps

Mayo MN and Mayo AZ screen pretty hard between primary and secondary right? Just trying to determine whether or not I should assume that they are coming or just be praying to the premed gods that they MIGHT be coming lol.

acciobutterbeer likes this.
  17. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

They used to but not anymore. Pretty sure everyone gets one

dodolol21 likes this.
  18. thenucleusaccumbens

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is something I wrote previously about mandatory classes at Mayo. Overall it has been a positive for me:

Typically in 1st year you will have 4 hours of class each day (which consists of a mix of small group, lab and lecture - how much time spent on each is block dependent) in the morning from 8am until noon. Most afternoons are free unless you have "basic doctoring" (longitudinal class throughout 1st year where you see standardized patients and learn how to do a history/physical). The school is mindful about not scheduling basic doctoring sessions during busier class blocks like anatomy. Some days you'll also get out of class before noon, it really depends on the block. In 2nd year it flips and class is 4 hours in the afternoon from 1-5pm with certain mornings spent seeing patients in clinic or the hospital as part of the "advanced doctoring" longitudinal course (this is a really helpful class as it integrates what you learn in the organ blocks, for example if you're in cardio you'll see patients with heart disease, etc.) In 2nd year most of class time involves short lectures followed by small group sessions with problem based/case based learning led by faculty preceptors.

I was skeptical of the attendance thing at first too but now I'm really grateful as the classes were so well taught and prepared me very well for Step 1. I also never felt like I didn't have enough time to study on my own because there was always plenty of time after class.

esentr likes this.
  19. Pickles13

Pre-Medical
    Just received the secondary, prompts are below:

D. ESSAYS: Submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each)

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

2. We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

Good luck!

20. jma90

Thanks @Pickles13 , and good luck to you too! Does anyone know what this prompt ("diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine) means?

21. dodolol21

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Lol what is that 3rd prompt.

DaisyC likes this.
  22. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    Lol, I'd love to see someone write an essay about why diversity is not important and see where that gets them. Seems like a silly addition.

ShadowGryffin likes this.
  23. bball0718

Pre-Medical
    I’m not even sure what the 3rd prompt is asking lol. I assume we’re supposed to talk about the benefits of an interdisciplinary approach in med school? That’s the best I can think of

DaisyC likes this.
  24. socloseithurts

10+ Year Member

Has anyone not gotten a secondary? I assume they send them out in batches with a light screen of a minimum MCAT score of 506 or 508 (not sure about a GPA screen).

25. Unlimited Apps

I have yet to get MN or AZ secondaries and my app was verified before transmission day.

ShadowGryffin and imdrbrightside like this.
  26. imdrbrightside

+1

27. veggiemed

Just got Mayo MN secondary (added the school to AMCAS on 7/10). The secondary lists 8 credits/1 year of calculus as a requirement, but their website does not. Anyone have any additional info on this? Seems kind of unreasonable to expect an entire year of calc vs the standard 1 semester calc/1 semester stats.

Perkinjeboy likes this.
  28. Perkinjeboy

Just received a secondary
    Was juuust about to ask the same thing!

29. veggiemed

If I leave the lab early enough today I'll give them a call! I will be really disappointed if that's a new requirement, I'm sure there are tons of people who don't have a full year of calc. Maybe it's only a requirement for MSTP?

30. veggiemed

So I just looked at their MSTP admissions page, and a year of calc IS a requirement for that program. I'd be willing to be there was a switch-up on the secondary, and that the year of calc is only required for MSTP

Heindawg likes this.
  31. CheeseIsLife

I would be pretty surprised if they added that requirement w/o warning. I believe when most schools change pre-req requirements, they give people a year or two of advance warning.

Heindawg and veggiemed like this.
  32. dodolol21

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

Orangecat1234 likes this.
  33. kassagank

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got the Mayo secondary this morning!

34. bball0718

Pre-Medical
    Just received one for the AZ campus and the prerequisite courses were the same as they are on the website (no year of Calc), so I am willing to bet it’s a mistake if it shows that on the MN secondary.

veggiemed likes this.
  35. letseewhathappens

Pre-Medical
    Got it too! Was wondering if anyone is applying to the 2+2 track - if yes or no, why? I'm not sure what the pros and cons of it are (except the warm weather and beaches). Thank!

36. imdrbrightside

Me lol

PursuingHappy likes this.
  37. Kracin

Pre-Medical
    +1 regular MD secondary

38. NoThislsPatrick

+1 MN secondary, sent an email about that 8 CREDIT CALC REQUIREMENT fingers crossed that was a mistake

esentr and goloo4263 like this.
  39. Pickles13

Pre-Medical
    About the calc requirement, I just got this general email from the admissions office:

In addition, it appears that the MD/PhD (MSTP Program) prerequisites are showing in the Secondary Application which includes a requirement for Calculus. For the MD program, Calculus IS NOT required. Our software developer is working to correct this error.

esentr and m_tsflame like this.
  40. letsgetstarted1234

Anyone else get a technical issue email but still not have a secondary invite lol

41. dodolol21

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I havent gotten either lol

imdrbrightside and esentr like this.
  42. thenucleusaccumbens

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    this has to be a mistake. I'm a current student and did not take calc

edit: just saw the post that someone emailed admissions and they are working to correct this because calc is not required for the MD program

43. socloseithurts

10+ Year Member

There has been some really good discussion in the Miami thread over potential cons of attending that institution. From anyone who's a current or former student or knows one, what is an unbiased perspective of the negatives of attending Mayo. Unfortunately, many school specific threads in SDN have an overwhelmingly positive slant (sometimes seems like talking to the school's marketing department), when a more balanced perspective would be very much appreciated.

CheeseIsLife likes this.
  44. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'm not a current or former student, nor do I know one, bur there are definitely a lot of quirks about Mayo that might not be for everyone!

-Rochester is a good town, but for lots of people who prefer big cities it could easily be stifling and too small
    -Very small class size- you'd need to be prepared for everyone knowing your business for a solid four years
    -Mandatory lectures
    -If you're dead set on basic science research, they maaaay be less strong than another top research university

45. liutimot

Pre-Medical
    +1 :( hope they don't screen subsection

esentr and dodolol21 like this.
  46. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    Nothing specific to Rochester/Mayo but if you’ve never experienced a Minnesota winter, just make sure you’re prepared for how truly cold it can be. I’ve experienced 15+ and every winter my soul dies a little bit all over again.

Amarantaa likes this.
  47. imdrbrightside

Finally got my secondary!

dodolol21 likes this.
  48. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    Do you know how bad it is compared to other Winters in Midwest like in northern Ohio/Michigan area? I've handled those fine but wouldn't want anything much worse.

49. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm from southeastern WI and the Twin Cities area honestly has worse winters than what I grew up with- so I imagine worse than Ohio, it's quite a bit further north. The isolation in Rochester probably also plays a role in this.

freedoctor17 likes this.
  50. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I think it is probably worse than Northern Ohio and definitely southeastern WI because there's no lake effect to keep it more moderate, the great plains are super flat and have a horrible windchill, if the temp is 0 it usually feels like -10 or -15. Although I've heard some Mayo students spend their winters in Arizona or Florida so maybe you could get away for the winter!