2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
D. ESSAYS: Submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each)

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

2. We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mayo Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Following! Non-trad reapplicant. I didn't re-apply last cycle as I was taking some pretty drastic life-rearranging steps to improve my application.

Reactions: 1 user
Also a reapp. Applied last cycle. Had a consultation with admissions and she gave me hope that I may have a chance despite mt stats being super low for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current Mayo med student here (at the MN campus) and I'm happy to answer any questions about my personal experience (feel free to send me a private message if you prefer). Also wanted to share some resources I posted in the thread from last year (edited out some stuff that had info that's no longer applicable)

Meet Mayo Med (Student-run blog) - Meet Mayo Med
Student Review of Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Student Review: Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Prospective Doctor
Med school's instagram account - Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (@mayoclinicsom) • Instagram photos and videos
Info on Selectives (unique aspect of Mayo's curriculum):
Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
Student Reflections on Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
another Mayo med student blog (with more posts about selectives) - All blog posts
Curious about life in Rochester? - Rochester MN (run by Neurology professor at Mayo)

The following was originally compiled and posted by earf - note that info has been edited to remove what was no longer accurate

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in here. I'll be attending Mayo Medical School as an MS1 this upcoming year and wanted to wish you all good luck on this application cycle. Mayo definitely had the most exciting interview and I was blown away by how amazing this institution is, the abundance of resources, and the unmatched level of friendliness of everyone I met here. I know there are a few seasoned students following this thread, so feel free to ask any questions related to how you can better prepare yourself in this application process to Mayo.

Also, I wanted to insert some helpful information here that was compiled from other threads in years past so that you can have a better prepare yourself (and get excited!!) with applying here. I take no credit for this information as I'm just transferring it from last year to here for easier access and before this thread becomes too large.

-------

Quoted from: forsparta

Compilation of information from last year's Mayo thread. I do not state I wrote any of this (main authors: Snuke, Nerday Shortay Icanhazcheeseburger [sp], Wisco1, ect.) and do not guarantee accuracy of any statements. The views expressed are not in association with the Mayo Medical School (MMS) and can not be used as factual evidence.

However, I believe it is useful

M1 schedule consists of morning lecture/lab from 8AM-noon. Then we have "Basic Doctoring" (physical exam skills and history taking, etc) 1-2 days per week in the afternoons from 1-5. The majority of the afternoons are free.

M2 year is reversed with daily lecture/lab in the afternoons.

Over the course of the first two calendar years, you have a total of 30 weeks of time alotted for selective. 18 of those weeks have to be spent doing a selective (=20 hours/wk of professional enrichment) and 12 of them are "free time". You can go home and do a shadowing experience if you want. Do your 20 hours of shadowing in the week and the rest of the time you can spend with family or do whatever you want.

I have only been in Rochester for a month now but I am not worried about it. Everyone here is very close knit and we hang out alot together. There is plenty to do in Rochester, and if you get bored, the Twin Cities are less than 90 minutes away.

Oh man, where to start. Really, I just had an amazing incredible experience.

The interview day is long, but it seriously feels short. Everyone is incredibly nice, from admin people to MDs to students to random people on the street. All the students are blissfully happy (not just my hosts or the people running the tours. I think we met almost half the class, and not a single one - when pressed - could think of a major shortcoming to the school), and many of them turned down big names to go to Mayo. Amongst them: Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, Wash U.

The interview day starts in the student center/admissions office. It's a small building across from the Gonda, rather out of place with the rest of the Mayo buildings because it's a renovated library. Very handsome inside, too. Gina is incredibly nice, and she did the orientation, which was largely the same video posted earlier and on the website. Then we met with the assistant dean of Academic and Student Affairs, then the Director of the Office of Diversity. Each of the talks were pretty short, which was nice. Then half of us had a 30 minute interview, the other half 30 minutes of down-time, then we switched. The ice was pretty much broken already because we'd met with our student hosts the night before to have dinner (and some of us helped the Birthday Baking Committee bake cupcakes!).

Then we had a tour of the Medical School. The Plummer building (library) is gorgeous, and we traipsed through the pedestrian subway, which is also very nice, and visited a few floors of the Gonda building. The Gonda building/Mayo Clinic is really quite majestic on the inside - marble and comfortable chairs everywhere, and someone was usually playing the grand piano. The peds floor is amazing - almost makes me want to be a pediatrician - and is designed for kids and to be very kid-friendly with curves and colors and low furniture everywhere.

Then lunch, then another interview/break, in which a few of us walked to the gym (which is a-MAZING and humongous) and had a tour (you get free membership your first two years). Then it was a short meeting with The Associate dean of Academic Affairs and a Dr. on the Admissions Committee chair.

Overall, in every possible aspect, it was incredible. Like I said, everyone is blissfully happy. One of my student hosts compared Mayo to a utopia, and it truly is of a kind. They make their own little world here, and they run it immaculately. Everything is literally for the patient.

And that's the key. Mayo-wear (what they call professional suit attire for when with patients) is to reduce the boundaries between patient and doctor. Everything is set up to make the patient more comfortable/for the patient's benefit.

The class size is, well, intimate. Everyone knows everyone and everyone's business, so if you aren't comfortable with that, that could be a problem. The small size, however, allows for opportunities that you can't have otherwise. In gross anatomy, they have a radiologist (because they CT the cadavers first), two surgeons expert in the field of whatever you're dissecting, and enough TAs to cover the rest of the tables. If you want to shadow someone, all you do is email them and set it up. There are a few set selectives, but people make up their own based on their interests, or if they want to travel somewhere, they do the hours of serving the underserved the first week and enjoy themselves the second week.

The interviews are really really low stress. The only stress is what you put on yourself. Both of my interviews started with 'tell me about yourself,' and you get to pretty much direct it from there.

I had one good interviewer, and one amazing, but pretty much everyone was very happy with who interviewed them. From what Gina was saying, some people fight to be scheduled to do interviews - especially the Director of Diversity, even though he has so much to do anyway, apparently.

And really, I just had this experience as I was eating out with my hosts - their friends would come up, see that we were prospectives, and the first thing out of their mouth was, 'you know, they treat us so well here.' It's delightfully amazing.

To share an I love Mayo moment with you: I spent yesterday afternoon working with a professional actor on improv comedy skills...the idea being that extremely active listening (as is necessary for improv and scene handoffs) leads to a more successful first 20-30 seconds of entering a patient room. Several of my classmates are camping tonight to prep for a mass-casualty wilderness survival experience, another is delivering babies in rural Arizona, and one is on his way to a wedding this weekend. And, if it all works out, we'll come together next Monday to play another kickball game. What an absolutely fantastic way to study medicine...if you are going to learn 46,000 new words and phrases during the first two years of school you might as well have some fun along the way!
Today during pediatric selective:

- Wake up, have coffee until 805am(others in the class doing this selective are out shadowing today in anything from gen peds to peds derm/ED/surg/etc.

- Meet Senior Sage (longitudinal geriatrics program) mentor for breakfast, interview and writeup afterwards--unrelated to selective but i had the morning free

- Lunch with peds residency director

- Neonatal resuscitation and umbilical line placement lab in simulator center from 1300-1530

...selective schedules vary widely though...so a more typical class day:

1st year:

8-12 a.m. is lecture/lab/group time. Some days we're out earlier.

12-1: Lunch/Free...usually time for interest group meetings, mentor meetings, attending grand rounds, interviewee lunches, etc.

1-5: Occasional afternoon activities (doctoring coursework, longitudinal development curriculum, volunteer programs, history taking skills, etc.)---on average over the year probably 2-3 afternoons a week have afternoons booked.

2nd year: essentially the reverse of above

3rd and 4th year: as with any medical school, mostly dedicated to time out on the wards so you could have days that are 24-36 hours long and others that are a basic outpatient clinic. Highly variable.

-----

Selectives: Mayo's first two years are structured such that you have a "block" of 6 weeks where you focus on a topic (i.e. in second year cardiovascular system, GI system), and then have two weeks for "selectives" You receive a travel budget to use during selecties.
Note: currently the med school will fund up to 3 trips per year for selectives

- This was amazing. It made medical school so painless. Essentially, you work hard for six weeks and then have 2 weeks of selective to do research casually, travel and work abroad. Selectives can be as structured as you want them to be. But honestly, they're essentially a break for you to do what you love, enhance your resume, or just rest.

- The majority of students had done clinical work (and sometimes non-clinical) in at least 1-2 countries courtesy of this by the end of second year (work in Haiti, Uganda, South Africa, Kenya, India etc...).

Teaching: I honestly think this is what really makes Mayo unique. The classes are extremely clinically oriented. There are no PhD's or MD/PhD research gurus who come in and lecture you on the nuances of their research. Our faculty goes through a huge screening process as many clinicians at Mayo want to be involved in education. Evaluations of faculty are used to screen out "bad apples." Thus, you end up with professors who are teaching because they want to, love to, and excel at it. In addition to this, the faculty that teach various blocks discuss and integrate their curriculum. This avoids redundancy and minutia from being taught.

Research: Whether it be clinical or basic science (though basic science not as strong), it is easy to do research. Mayo DOES have a 3 month research requirement built into third year (which is an AMAZING break). The year I graduated, out of the approximately 40 of us, >than half had more than 2 published papers (not counting abstracts, presentations etc..). There were a few of us that had published >10 papers by the end of medical school, and most in respected, high impact journals. At the end of the day, because there are so few Mayo medical students and Mayo provides incentives for faculty to publish papers with medical students (faster track to professorship), research and publishing is very accessible.

The system at Mayo is amazing. It's seamless. It is truly cost effective, efficient, and patient-oriented. You REALLY appreciate this as a 3rd year, 4th year, but most importantly as a patient. While I LOVE the institution that I currently am at for completely different reasons (again a "big 4" residency), I remember being dumbfounded my intern year by how inefficient, slow, and difficult the system at this "top hospital" was... more importantly, how these inefficiencies often led to patient errors.

Other random perks: Can do an MD/JD at ASU in 2 years. Mayo will pay for it, you don't have to take the LSAT. Mayo will also give you $10,000 if you pursue another degree (MPH etc...) at any other institution (people have left to do MBA's, MPH's, Master's at Oxford/Cambridge, Master's in fashion design, Master's in Journalism). At the end of a six week block, faculty will take you out or invite the class over to their place for dinners/drinks. The student body is MUCH MORE diverse in terms of where Mayo pulls students from (i.e. it is not IVY league undergrad heavy).

Reactions: 3 users
Also a reapp. Applied last cycle. Had a consultation with admissions and she gave me hope that I may have a chance despite mt stats being super low for them.

One of my friends was accepted as a reapplicant, so it definitely does happen!

It would take a miracle and a half to get accepted here! Worth a shot ;)

It would take a miracle and a half to get accepted here! Worth a shot ;)

I didn't think I would get accepted when I applied either. It was a huge reach for me; my GPA was low and I was worried because their average GPA is so high, but I had a solid MCAT and an upward trend. I really do think they are holistic in reviewing applicants.

I didn't think I would get accepted when I applied either. It was a huge reach for me; my GPA was low and I was worried because their average GPA is so high, but I had a solid MCAT and an upward trend. I really do think they are holistic in reviewing applicants.

Was wondering what current students thought of the exceptionally small class size, is it a plus or minus? Do faculty get the chance to really know you well?

Also, how is the CATH / thoracic surgery dept. at Mayo? What about Ophtho?

Thanks!

Random curiosity question, does Mayo have AOA?

Mayo does not have AOA or do any sort of internal ranking one of the main reasons its my dream school. Happy to be matriculating here, I obviously havent been a student yet but if anyone needs I can speak about the application/interview process.

Mayo is my top choice (and also a reach lol)! Good luck to everyone applying.

Current Mayo med student here (at the MN campus) and I'm happy to answer any questions about my personal experience (feel free to send me a private message if you prefer). Also wanted to share some resources I posted in the thread from last year (edited out some stuff that had info that's no longer applicable)

The following was originally compiled and posted by earf - note that info has been edited to remove what was no longer accurate

I am very interested in this school and specifically the Jacksonville camp. however, I did not see other camp. choices on the secondary. Can yo give me some information? How do I apply for this Jville camp.?

Members don't see this ad :)
All the students I've talked to seem to be positive about about their experience at Mayo. However, mandatory lecture is generally seen as a significant negative by students. I'm trying to reconcile people's positive experiences here with the mandatory lecture requirement. Any thoughts by current or past Mayo students on the mandatory lecture requirement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mayo MN and Mayo AZ screen pretty hard between primary and secondary right? Just trying to determine whether or not I should assume that they are coming or just be praying to the premed gods that they MIGHT be coming lol.

Mayo MN and Mayo AZ screen pretty hard between primary and secondary right? Just trying to determine whether or not I should assume that they are coming or just be praying to the premed gods that they MIGHT be coming lol.
They used to but not anymore. Pretty sure everyone gets one

All the students I've talked to seem to be positive about about their experience at Mayo. However, mandatory lecture is generally seen as a significant negative by students. I'm trying to reconcile people's positive experiences here with the mandatory lecture requirement. Any thoughts by current or past Mayo students on the mandatory lecture requirement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This is something I wrote previously about mandatory classes at Mayo. Overall it has been a positive for me:

Typically in 1st year you will have 4 hours of class each day (which consists of a mix of small group, lab and lecture - how much time spent on each is block dependent) in the morning from 8am until noon. Most afternoons are free unless you have "basic doctoring" (longitudinal class throughout 1st year where you see standardized patients and learn how to do a history/physical). The school is mindful about not scheduling basic doctoring sessions during busier class blocks like anatomy. Some days you'll also get out of class before noon, it really depends on the block. In 2nd year it flips and class is 4 hours in the afternoon from 1-5pm with certain mornings spent seeing patients in clinic or the hospital as part of the "advanced doctoring" longitudinal course (this is a really helpful class as it integrates what you learn in the organ blocks, for example if you're in cardio you'll see patients with heart disease, etc.) In 2nd year most of class time involves short lectures followed by small group sessions with problem based/case based learning led by faculty preceptors.

I was skeptical of the attendance thing at first too but now I'm really grateful as the classes were so well taught and prepared me very well for Step 1. I also never felt like I didn't have enough time to study on my own because there was always plenty of time after class.

Just received the secondary, prompts are below:

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

2. We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Thanks @Pickles13 , and good luck to you too! Does anyone know what this prompt ("diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine) means?

Just received the secondary, prompts are below:

Good luck!
Lol what is that 3rd prompt.

Lol what is that 3rd prompt.

Lol, I'd love to see someone write an essay about why diversity is not important and see where that gets them. Seems like a silly addition.

I’m not even sure what the 3rd prompt is asking lol. I assume we’re supposed to talk about the benefits of an interdisciplinary approach in med school? That’s the best I can think of

Has anyone not gotten a secondary? I assume they send them out in batches with a light screen of a minimum MCAT score of 506 or 508 (not sure about a GPA screen).

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone not gotten a secondary? I assume they send them out in batches with a light screen of a minimum MCAT score of 506 or 508 (not sure about a GPA screen).

I have yet to get MN or AZ secondaries and my app was verified before transmission day.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got Mayo MN secondary (added the school to AMCAS on 7/10). The secondary lists 8 credits/1 year of calculus as a requirement, but their website does not. Anyone have any additional info on this? Seems kind of unreasonable to expect an entire year of calc vs the standard 1 semester calc/1 semester stats.

Just received a secondary
Just got Mayo MN secondary (added the school to AMCAS on 7/10). The secondary lists 8 credits/1 year of calculus as a requirement, but their website does not. Anyone have any additional info on this? Seems kind of unreasonable to expect an entire year of calc vs the standard 1 semester calc/1 semester stats.

Was juuust about to ask the same thing!

Literally just edited my post to ask the same question! Just sent them an email, I guess we'll see if I wasted my money on Mayo MN and AZ :(
If I leave the lab early enough today I'll give them a call! I will be really disappointed if that's a new requirement, I'm sure there are tons of people who don't have a full year of calc. Maybe it's only a requirement for MSTP?

So I just looked at their MSTP admissions page, and a year of calc IS a requirement for that program. I'd be willing to be there was a switch-up on the secondary, and that the year of calc is only required for MSTP

I would be pretty surprised if they added that requirement w/o warning. I believe when most schools change pre-req requirements, they give people a year or two of advance warning.

I would be pretty surprised if they added that requirement w/o warning. I believe when most schools change pre-req requirements, they give people a year or two of advance warning.
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

Just received one for the AZ campus and the prerequisite courses were the same as they are on the website (no year of Calc), so I am willing to bet it’s a mistake if it shows that on the MN secondary.

Got it too! Was wondering if anyone is applying to the 2+2 track - if yes or no, why? I'm not sure what the pros and cons of it are (except the warm weather and beaches). Thank!

+1 MN secondary, sent an email about that 8 CREDIT CALC REQUIREMENT fingers crossed that was a mistake

About the calc requirement, I just got this general email from the admissions office:

In addition, it appears that the MD/PhD (MSTP Program) prerequisites are showing in the Secondary Application which includes a requirement for Calculus. For the MD program, Calculus IS NOT required. Our software developer is working to correct this error.

Received secondary. Also, the secondary says one year of calculus is required with 8 credits. This requirement isn't on their website, or the MSAR. Anyone have any insight? I'm probably gonna email them. Only did calc 1.

this has to be a mistake. I'm a current student and did not take calc

edit: just saw the post that someone emailed admissions and they are working to correct this because calc is not required for the MD program

There has been some really good discussion in the Miami thread over potential cons of attending that institution. From anyone who's a current or former student or knows one, what is an unbiased perspective of the negatives of attending Mayo. Unfortunately, many school specific threads in SDN have an overwhelmingly positive slant (sometimes seems like talking to the school's marketing department), when a more balanced perspective would be very much appreciated.

There has been some really good discussion in the Miami thread over potential cons of attending that institution. From anyone who's a current or former student or knows one, what is an unbiased perspective of the negatives of attending Mayo. Unfortunately, many school specific threads in SDN have an overwhelmingly positive slant (sometimes seems like talking to the school's marketing department), when a more balanced perspective would be very much appreciated.

I'm not a current or former student, nor do I know one, bur there are definitely a lot of quirks about Mayo that might not be for everyone!

-Rochester is a good town, but for lots of people who prefer big cities it could easily be stifling and too small
-Very small class size- you'd need to be prepared for everyone knowing your business for a solid four years
-Mandatory lectures
-If you're dead set on basic science research, they maaaay be less strong than another top research university

Nothing specific to Rochester/Mayo but if you’ve never experienced a Minnesota winter, just make sure you’re prepared for how truly cold it can be. I’ve experienced 15+ and every winter my soul dies a little bit all over again.

Nothing specific to Rochester/Mayo but if you’ve never experienced a Minnesota winter, just make sure you’re prepared for how truly cold it can be. I’ve experienced 15+ and every winter my soul dies a little bit all over again.

Do you know how bad it is compared to other Winters in Midwest like in northern Ohio/Michigan area? I've handled those fine but wouldn't want anything much worse.

Do you know how bad it is compared to other Winters in Midwest like in northern Ohio/Michigan area? I've handled those fine but wouldn't want anything much worse.

I'm from southeastern WI and the Twin Cities area honestly has worse winters than what I grew up with- so I imagine worse than Ohio, it's quite a bit further north. The isolation in Rochester probably also plays a role in this.

I'm from southeastern WI and the Twin Cities area honestly has worse winters than what I grew up with- so I imagine worse than Ohio, it's quite a bit further north. The isolation in Rochester probably also plays a role in this.
Yeah I think it is probably worse than Northern Ohio and definitely southeastern WI because there's no lake effect to keep it more moderate, the great plains are super flat and have a horrible windchill, if the temp is 0 it usually feels like -10 or -15. Although I've heard some Mayo students spend their winters in Arizona or Florida so maybe you could get away for the winter!

Reactions: 2 users
How does indicating preference on the 2+2 Florida program affect my application?
More specifically, if I indicate it as my first choice, am I at a disadvantage for the main 2 'base' schools in Rochester or Phoenix?
Or if I indicate it as my second choice, am I at a disadvantage for the Florida program because I'm not 'all in'?
Thanks!