2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the acceptance call several hours ago from my interviewer. Received highly interested email back in Jan.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Worst Valentine’s Day ever. Not only am I single af, but my crush failed to accept me. Her name is Mayo and she’s wonderful.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Huge congrats to everyone who’s gotten in, but not gonna lie I think being led on by Mayo with really affirming post-interview communication with my interviewers, the highly interested email from admissions, and on top of that, an encouraging response from Dr. Fischer only to hear nothing has made me the most depressed I’ve been in a while. This whole process is a crapshoot but I didn’t think I’d end up taking it so personally :/
big big mood

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently no calls today. At least not reported on SDN yet. Some people got calls pretty late last night. But it is possible this is it for the first wave.

I had one advisee get the highly interested email, but they did not reply back positively bc they still had HYP II in Jan and had no idea where they would want to go in early January when email was sent. The other person did not get the highly interested email, but disliked the school anyway - most likely due to a highly negative interaction with an interviewer. They also had 5 interviews for T20 places in JAN. This person, of course, did not send a love letter.

Neither one got a call, yesterday or today. So I can verify that not everyone who got the "highly interested" email was accepted. But since that person sent back a lukewarm reply, that might have tipped scales out of their favor. That is why I was pretty vocal about how this operating procedure put some students in a difficult position. That person knew that they might be killing their chances by sending a lukewarm, but honest reply. (Both of these students had a lot of JAN interviews bc though both very good applicants, their undergrad did not send their committee letters til late SEPT!!!!)

But congrats to all who were really excited to go to MAYO and who got good news yesterday!

I agree with your insights to some extent, but I believe there's a difference between sending an honest reply and a lukewarm. I was one of those people in a "difficult position" (it didn't turn out to be so difficult after all). I also had 5 more interviews in Jan/Feb. For this reason, I wrote a letter of interest and not intent. I was completely honest in the letter while also being very enthusiastic (given that I did love interviewing at Mayo). After reading some comments on this thread, I was honestly worried that sending a letter of interest/being honest was going to hurt my chances, but it didn't.

Did anyone get an R or waitlist after the interview?

Got the acceptance email from Teresa today! (Got the acceptance call 2 days ago)

Congrats on everyone who got accepted. Like someone else said earlier and emphasized during the interviews, waitlist is pretty mobile traditionally, keep hopes up!

I was wondering if anyone knows about a Facebook group for accepted applicants?

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get an R or waitlist after the interview?
It does not appear that they do this. Like some other top schools, they wait until after they send out their acceptances (essentially in one batch, all at once), and everyone else is sent either WL or R notification soon after.

Schools like this want to look at their entire application pool all at once - which especially makes sense with such a small class at Mayo - and then the ADCOM makes their decisions.

I see. I was under the impression that acceptances were all out already

For those accepted, has your status on the portal changed yet? And have you received a formal acceptance letter/email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. And portal changed.
Should I be concerned about my portal not being updated? I did get a short email from Zach saying congratulations, and asking if I had any questions for him (but that didn't seem very "formal"?). I'm just afraid that I might miss a deadline or something for paying the deposit if my portal wasn't updated along with everyone else's.

Should I be concerned about my portal not being updated? I did get a short email from Zach saying congratulations, and asking if I had any questions for him (but that didn't seem very "formal"?). I'm just afraid that I might miss a deadline or something for paying the deposit if my portal wasn't updated along with everyone else's.
Lol. Nope. That's definitely fine. Just classic med school applicant neuroticism. If it doesn't change by Monday afternoon, give them an email. You have 2 weeks to send in 100 dollar deposit/accept the offer. Fonancial aid goes out in ~a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Nope. That's definitely fine. Just classic med school applicant neuroticism. If it doesn't change by Monday afternoon, give them an email. You have 2 weeks to send in 100 dollar deposit/accept the offer. Fonancial aid goes out in ~a week.
thanks =)

+1, no email or portal update

Congrats everyone that was accepted! Was wondering if there's any point sending an update letter at this point (post-interview)? Was just published in a well-known journal... but if my committee rank has already been determined I'm not sure it would help move me up the list at this point, esp if I already sent a LOI?

Congrats everyone that was accepted! Was wondering if there's any point sending an update letter at this point (post-interview)? Was just published in a well-known journal... but if my committee rank has already been determined I'm not sure it would help move me up the list at this point, esp if I already sent a LOI?
At this point, your fate is determined. This week, you should find out whether you were WL or outright R. These decisions have been made, and there is essentially zero chance that a publication at this point would change their minds if you are an outright R now.

If you are WL and this is a significant publication, you can certainly send in another update which might slightly improve your status as a WL applicant. But then, that is it. You will have a chance to let them know that you want to remain on the WL, assuming this is so, so they will know you are "interested" in them. But no more updates/LOI/ etc after this one.

At this point, your fate is determined. This week, you should find out whether you were WL or outright R. These decisions have been made, and there is essentially zero chance that a publication at this point would change their minds if you are an outright R now.

If you are WL and this is a significant publication, you can certainly send in another update which might slightly improve your status as a WL applicant. But then, that is it. You will have a chance to let them know that you want to remain on the WL, assuming this is so, so they will know you are "interested" in them. But no more updates/LOI/ etc after this one.

The WL may not be finalized yet since only acceptances are released. The WL decisions are supposed to come out mid-next week. I think it is definitely worth sending in an update. It will not hurt your chances but may have an impact on the WL decision.

In addition, from my understanding, the WL is not ranked, and people from the WL are selected based on big picture and not just rank. Having a publication in a reputable journal can only do good to add to that big picture, especially at a research heavy program like Mayo.

Getting way ahead of myself, but as someone that interviewed in Jacksonville, thought I'd see if there are any current MN students (or anyone that has any insight) that could share any info on living in Rochester re: housing. Is there any area that most students live, or particular apartments that you might recommend checking out? Do most students do apartments/houses? Early in the game, but just thought I'd ask!

EDIT: Also was curious about having a car. I have an old beater without AWD and am not sure it will make it through life in Minnesota. Do all students have cars, and do most students live within walking distance of the med school, or drive in and out?

I asked a current student some of these same questions.

Here’s what I got:
-there will be places during second look day that we can can tour and check out for housing.
-~50% of the class has cars, 50% use public transport.
-there are plenty of housing options within a 2-3 minute walk from the hospital, but they tend to be a bit more expensive than those further away.

About the car: we didn’t talk about how good a car should be, but they’re expecting 6 inches of fresh snowfall tonight so it’s probably suck if a car broke down in the middle of that haha

Hope this helps a little!

Just received an email saying I have been placed on the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
Same! Any idea as to the size of the waitlist or how much it moves?

MSAR quotes waitlist at 150-200 students (includes MN and AZ campuses). Per the same source, 30 students (total from both campuses) are ultimately accepted from the waitlist.

Just got the WL email. Also, got highly interested email back in Jan. Would have loved the acceptance, but better than an R I guess.

Got the WL at about 2:15 PM, never received a highly interested email. Will likely be withdrawing!

Does anyone know if there is a waitlist for the 2+2 program

Posts from last year's thread showed that there is.

The same thread also showed that WL and R emails were sent on the same day. As someone who has not gotten any email from them today, I really don't know what to expect lol

The same thread also showed that WL and R emails were sent on the same day. As someone who has not gotten any email from them today, I really don't know what to expect lol
It appears that all of the students on SDN who got emails today were WL. There were no emails for students who got the R. I am guessing that later this week will be the emails to the R students. If I were a betting person, I would say that anyone who did not get an email today will be getting a rejection. Although the acceptance calls went out over a couple of days, it does not take the ADCOM office very long to send emails, so I do not know why it would take more than one day to send out the WL emails.

It appears that all of the students on SDN who got emails today were WL. There were no emails for students who got the R. I am guessing that later this week will be the emails to the R students. If I were a betting person, I would say that anyone who did not get an email today will be getting a rejection. Although the acceptance calls went out over a couple of days, it does not take the ADCOM office very long to send emails, so I do not know why it would take more than one day to send out the WL emails.

The admissions staff and dean made very clear to my interview group that students who were rejected would hear in *April.* This is obviously a change from prior years. In other words, we were told that accepted students would be contacted sometime in February, then a few days later waitlisted students would be informed of their status, and that rejections would be handed out in April. :/

The admissions staff and dean made very clear to my interview group that students who were rejected would hear in *April.* This is obviously a change from prior years. In other words, we were told that accepted students would be contacted sometime in February, then a few days later waitlisted students would be informed of their status, and that rejections would be handed out in April. :/
Yes, definitely a change from prior years. But I was mainly addressing the poster who was wondering his fate, after no call last week and no email today. He sounds like he has gone swimming in the R pool for this school, since he got no email today.

Though I have been critical of some of Mayo's ADCOM actions, I actually do like this approach of sending the R's out in April. For many rejected Mayo students, they will have a nice big A from some other place(s) by then, so the R will hardly even sting!

I had 2 advisees interview here. One loved it and one hated it. The former got the WL email today (after getting the highly interested email in jan) and the latter heard nothing today (and has been quite sure to be getting a R after a bad experience with an unprofessional interviewer).

Well it seems that I'll be receiving a R eventually. Without a WL email, I was just a bit confused considering I received a highly interested email and sent in a LOI.

Last edited:
Well it looks like I'll be getting that R then. I'm just a little confused considering

Well it seems that I'll be receiving a R eventually. Without a WL email, I was just a bit confused considering I received a highly interested email and sent in a LOI.
Not necessarily. A poster in the AZ thread called the office yesterday and they said they wouldn't be done sending WL emails until end of next week

FWIW the AZ thread is reporting post-interview rejections now.

Received the post-II R email an hour ago for MN/FL 2+2.

Honestly humbled to have been given the opportunity to interview here - this place is truly special. Congratulations to the people who are given the opportunity to attend.

I'm gonna go cry into my Mayo mug now

Reactions: 7 users
Also just got the post-II R. Appreciate their speed with this process and clarity at the end. Good luck to everyone else!

Just got the post-II R for MN MD and the message indicated the waitlist was full.

Post II R for MN but A for AZ, which was my preference anyway ;)

Reactions: 5 users
FWIW the AZ thread is reporting post-interview rejections now.

Also just got the post-II R. Appreciate their speed with this process and clarity at the end. Good luck to everyone else!

Clearly what they told me on my interview day was wrong... sorry for the Rs, I'm sure other phenomenal schools will scoop you guys up :)

Received the post-II R email an hour ago for MN/FL 2+2.

Honestly humbled to have been given the opportunity to interview here - this place is truly special. Congratulations to the people who are given the opportunity to attend.

I'm gonna go cry into my Mayo mug now

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection :(. That Mayo mug is nice though. I was planning on scratching the name and use it if rejected.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection :(. That Mayo mug is nice though. I was planning on scratching the name and use it if rejected .
Ummmm I received no Mayo mug. WHAT IS THIS, MAYO?! Explain yourselves!