2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the email too and I was wondering if there are separate waitlists for each school. The email made it seem like there I could be accepted for any of the 30 spots that need to be filled, but I hope it's not just a WL for the 2+2 program since it's only 12 spots.
It is worded like it is for any of the spots (for either MN 4 year or 2+2), but from last years thread, I think only one person who got the 2+2 "still interested" email got in from the waitlist, but it seemed like everyone who got it for the 4 year program who got one got in. I hope that those of us who got "still interested" emails all get off the waitlist! I would be ecstatic to be accepted into either program!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It is worded like it is for any of the spots (for either MN 4 year or 2+2), but from last years thread, I think only one person who got the 2+2 "still interested" email got in from the waitlist, but it seemed like everyone who got it for the 4 year program who got one got in. I hope that those of us who got "still interested" emails all get off the waitlist! I would be ecstatic to be accepted into either program!!

Ahh I see. I guess the email is a bit misleading then. Hopefully enough spots open up with the new AMCAS structure for all of us.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard they give students laptops at mayo. Does anyone know the model/specs?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I see. I guess the email is a bit misleading then. Hopefully enough spots open up with the new AMCAS structure for all of us.
Well, who knows? On the other hand, nobody posted exactly what their letter said for 2+2 last year and they only took 8 people total last year. Maybe they are doing it different this year or they know that there are more spaces. *Fingers crossed for us*

Well, who knows? On the other hand, nobody posted exactly what their letter said for 2+2 last year and they only took 8 people total last year. Maybe they are doing it different this year or they know that there are more spaces. *Fingers crossed for us*

Thank you for giving me hope :)

Someone mentioned there being 38 people at AZ second look - can anyone who attended MN second look share around how many people were there?

Anybody know if Mayo is generally receptive to match financial aid offers? I received a great scholarship from Mayo; however, I recently got nearly full CoA at another school, but Mayo is still my top choice and am curious about the likelihood of Mayo increasing their offer. Thanks!

Anybody know if Mayo is generally receptive to match financial aid offers? I received a great scholarship from Mayo; however, I recently got nearly full CoA at another school, but Mayo is still my top choice and am curious about the likelihood of Mayo increasing their offer. Thanks!
Would definitely recommend asking the finaid office. Mayo is extremely generous :) they'll do what they can

Reactions: 2 users
Y’all think they’ll include an avengers endgame screening into the second look weekend schedule?

Y’all think they’ll include an avengers endgame screening into the second look weekend schedule?
You'll have to wear shirt and tie to the theater. That is the mayo standard ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone from the WL heard anything since the most recent "still interested" email?

Members don't see this ad :)
on a similar note, has anyone on the wl for the regular track received a "still interested" email? last year, they seemed to all go out to both 2+2 and regular track mid-late april, but since the 2+2 emails got sent out early, the regular wl emails might have as well???

Has anyone from the WL heard anything since the most recent "still interested" email?
Nothing yet. I have my fingers crossed. Last year they started accepting people off the wait list May 2nd and were accepting people all the way till early June.

Last edited:
I got the email too and I was wondering if there are separate waitlists for each school. The email made it seem like there I could be accepted for any of the 30 spots that need to be filled, but I hope it's not just a WL for the 2+2 program since it's only 12 spots.

Hi GreenCheekedConure,

So I just checked my Mayo Arizona Portal and it says that I was put on the waitlist for Arizona/Florida 2+2 program as well! This is a pleasant surprise to me since I thought I was only on the Minnesota/Florida waitlist. This discovery along with our email mentioning 30 spots makes me think that we are still in consideration for all of the programs.

Last edited:
Hi GreenCheekedConure,

So I just checked my Mayo Arizona Portal and it says that I was put on the waitlist for Arizona/Florida 2+2 program as well! This is a pleasant surprise to me since I thought I was only on the Minnesota/Florida waitlist. This discovery along with our email mentioning 30 spots makes me think that we are still in consideration for all of the programs.

Wow yeah I just checked mine and saw it as well!

on a similar note, has anyone on the wl for the regular track received a "still interested" email? last year, they seemed to all go out to both 2+2 and regular track mid-late april, but since the 2+2 emails got sent out early, the regular wl emails might have as well???
Just wanted to circle back to this to see if anyone has received the still interested email for the MN WL

Just withdrew from the WL, good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to circle back to this to see if anyone has received the still interested email for the MN WL

I'm on the AZ and MN waitlists and haven't received any email notifications from either school.

I missed a call from the MN campus today, but the number was non-specific. Did anyone else receive this call? I don't want to get my hopes up.

I missed a call from the MN campus today, but the number was non-specific. Did anyone else receive this call? I don't want to get my hopes up.

I got a call from the the financial aid office regarding a question they had about a value on my FAFSA. They were intentionally ambiguous as to how that would impact my waitlist status (AZ). So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got an email about financial aid on Friday asking for parental info. Unfortunately I can not get that info. No scholarships for me. I'll still be happy if I get in and can take out loans though.

I got an email about financial aid on Friday asking for parental info. Unfortunately I can not get that info. No scholarships for me. I'll still be happy if I get in and can take out loans though.
Are you AZ WL as well?

Yu
Did they leave a message? You should call back and/or check your portal.

Yu

Did they leave a message? You should call back and/or check your portal.

No message. My portal is unchanged. The phone number was general so it only stated that it was Mayo and the exact caller could not be identified. It sounds like it was the FAFSA call.

On WL at MN. Got a call from Rochester MN today, and nearly had a heart attack. Like others here, it was Financial Aid office clarifying something on my FAFSA. Only thing I'm reading into this is that admissions is getting ready to start pulling from the WL, and FAO is just doing their prep work ahead of that process. We'll see!

On WL at MN. Got a call from Rochester MN today, and nearly had a heart attack. Like others here, it was Financial Aid office clarifying something on my FAFSA. Only thing I'm reading into this is that admissions is getting ready to start pulling from the WL, and FAO is just doing their prep work ahead of that process. We'll see!

Hi, thanks for this. As an AZ waitlistee, can you clarify what info they were looking for? Was it something supplementary, like they were preparing a financial aid package for you? Or was it something that might've been missed on the original FAFSA submission, like your income (for example)?

Hi, thanks for this. As an AZ waitlistee, can you clarify what info they were looking for? Was it something supplementary, like they were preparing a financial aid package for you? Or was it something that might've been missed on the original FAFSA submission, like your income (for example)?

It sounds like finaid is preparing financial aid packages because Mayo is going to be offering WL spots soon. They were looking for some of my parental information to do so, but it doesn't seem as though the call was relevant to my standing on the 2+2 WL.

It sounds like finaid is preparing financial aid packages because Mayo is going to be offering WL spots soon. They were looking for some of my parental information to do so, but it doesn't seem as though the call was relevant to my standing on the 2+2 WL.

Did you get the "still interested email" in late March?

It was parental income info that they wanted to clarify. I had left a section on parental investments blank (because they don't have any). They just wanted to make sure it was actually "zero" and not just a mistake on my part.

Can someone who went to second look talk about how it went?

I hope there is waitlist movement this week!!

Reactions: 4 users
several AZ track people have received continued interest emails recently. have any MN WL people received an email??

Withdrew my acceptance from Rochester campus. Good luck everyone on the waitlist!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Can someone who went to second look talk about how it went?
What would you like to know about it specifically? I had an incredible time. I think they really sold the school well for people who were on the fence. Day one they had a 2 hour meet and greet with all of us and some M1s and faculty. Just some light hors d'oeuvres and water/lemonade.

The second day they had us shadowing a specialty we requested along with a couple of presentations by different departments of the med school like the office for diversity, financial aid, student wellness, and there was a little session with someone in charge of the Science of Healthcare Delivery curriculum. Dean Meyer also spoke to us and he is just the nicest guy. I really got the feeling he cares about the students and means it when he says he has an open door policy. The current students confirmed that he and everyone else in the faculty is very hands on and wants to get know us and help us however they can. At one point they had Q&A time with current 1st and 2nd years. They also had a presentation about how the selective programs work and it was honestly astounding the number of opportunities we have. I was REALLY impressed by all of it. We obviously have way more opportunities than you could ever take advantage of and I think it will be great for those of us that have absolutely no idea what specialty we're interested in.
To wrap up the day all us prospective students along with a bunch of M1s went to a local brewery/pizza place and had dinner that the school covered the cost of. Then a lot of us went out afterward to a couple of local bars with the M1s and just hung out and got to know people. Everyone was incredible you can tell all of these people are pretty close and really liked each other, at least that's the vibe I got as a starry eyed soon-to-be first year.

Finally the last day they brought us back for an hour+ long Q&A with Dean Meyer and a bunch of other administrative people. Then to wrap up the weekend they broke us into groups to learn suturing and surgical knot trying with some of the med students. I learned that I am awful at suturing as of right now. Idk if it was nervousness or fatigue from the night before or a new onset essential tremor but my hands were shaking so bad I almost stabbed myself with the suture.

All in all it was really a fantastic weekend. If you have any more specific questions let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
What would you like to know about it specifically? I had an incredible time. I think they really sold the school well for people who were on the fence. Day one they had a 2 hour meet and greet with all of us and some M1s and faculty. Just some light hors d'oeuvres and water/lemonade.

The second day they had us shadowing a specialty we requested along with a couple of presentations by different departments of the med school like the office for diversity, financial aid, student wellness, and there was a little session with someone in charge of the Science of Healthcare Delivery curriculum. Dean Meyer also spoke to us and he is just the nicest guy I really got the feeling he cares about the students and means it when he says he has an open door policy. The current students confirmed this too that he and everyone else in the faculty is very hands on and wants to get know us and help us however they can. They had ample Q&A time also with current 1st and 2nd years. They also had a presentation about how the selective programs work and it was honestly astounding the number of opportunities we have I was REALLY impressed by all of it. We obviously have way more opportunities than you could ever take advantage of and I think it will be great for those of us that have absolutely no idea what specialty we're interested in. To wrap up the day all us prospective students along with a bunch of M1s went to a local brewery/pizza place and had dinner that the school covered the cost of. Then a lot of us went out afterward to a couple of local bars with the M1s and just hung out and got to know people. Everyone was incredible you can tell all of these people are pretty close and really liked each other, at least that's the vibe I got as a starry eyed soon-to-be first year.

Finally the last day they brought us back for an hour+ long Q&A with Dean Meyer and a bunch of other administrative people. Then to wrap up the weekend they broke us into groups to learn suturing and surgical knot trying with some of the med students. I learned that I am awful at suturing as of right now. Idk if it was nervousness or fatigue from the night before or a new onset essential tremor but my hands were shaking so bad I almost stabbed myself with the suture.

All in all it was really a fantastic weekend. If you have any more specific questions let me know!
That sounds awesome!!! How many people showed up?

Congrats! I bet that is the last 2+2 spot
Oops, Sorry guys I thought it was for MN/FL,but I guess it was AZ/FL (just got the email). I was too excited and didn't understand what was going on during the call, but I"m super happy! So there are prob still spots for MN/FL.

Got accepted to the MN/FL 2+2 program today! Anybody know if there is a Facebook page for accepted students?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone get a call for regular MD MN?