2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I still didnt see it but I went ahead and submitted anyway. The MSTP secondary only had 1 question, so wasn't too bad.

One question in addition to the MD ones or just a single one?

Members don't see this ad.

One question in addition to the MD ones or just a single one?
Just a single question. It's a why are you applying to Mayo question. 500 characters.

However, if u are applying to both MD and MSTP, then you also have to answer the regular MD questions. I'm only applying MSTP.

Just a single question. It's a why are you applying to Mayo question. 500 characters.

However, if u are applying to both MD and MSTP, then you also have to answer the regular MD questions. I'm only applying MSTP.
Wait isn’t it 500 words?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait isn’t it 500 words?

"In the space below, write a brief paragraph explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program. (Limited to 500 characters.)"

I made the mistake of writing 500 words and then and to cut it all down to 500 characters. o_Oo_O

Edit: If applying MD as well, then yes, that limit is 500 words.

How many have actually submitted? I remember the email saying that the applicant volume has gotten high or something like that, but I'm not sure if that's what its always said or always gonna say.

How many have actually submitted? I remember the email saying that the applicant volume has gotten high or something like that, but I'm not sure if that's what its always said or always gonna say.

Lol applicant volume is always going to be high (and get higher probably). It's in the applicant's best interest to get submitted as early as possible, and in the school's interest to begin interviews and fill a class early too. Ultimately though, the most important thing is that you submit the best secondary application possible!

Are u applying MD only? I didn't see anything about 2 weeks in my email. Maybe it's because I'm applying MD/PhD?
I am also applying for the MD/PhD, and I don't see anything about a two week timeline in my email either. I submitted about two and a half weeks after I received the email. To be honest, I kind of had given up hope due to the calculus requirement. But, then I received an email saying that the one year of calc is not an absolute requirement. Did you receive the same email?

I am also applying for the MD/PhD, and I don't see anything about a two week timeline in my email either. I submitted about two and a half weeks after I received the email. To be honest, I kind of had given up hope due to the calculus requirement. But, then I received an email saying that the one year of calc is not an absolute requirement. Did you receive the same email?
I have a year of calculus but yep!

Wondering if it would be worth it for me to fill out and submit secondary with the time it would take and cost of the application. MCAT 519, 4.0 at small liberal arts university. 300+ shadowing hours, 300+ hospital work hours, pharmacy technician. No research experience. In student government and president of my fraternity. Do I have a chance?

Wondering if it would be worth it for me to fill out and submit secondary with the time it would take and cost of the application. MCAT 519, 4.0 at small liberal arts university. 300+ shadowing hours, 300+ hospital work hours, pharmacy technician. No research experience. In student government and president of my fraternity. Do I have a chance?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a chance at nearly any school...

seriously? lol yes

Has anyone still not received a secondary?

At this point im wondering if i did something to piss the office off lol. I sent them an email and no response either.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a secondary. I submitted my primary May 31 and was verified same day. MCAT is above their screen. This is my dream school, so I'm getting very anxious. Applying regular MD. Anyone else still waiting?
what's the MCAT screen cut off?

I think 500
If thats the case, then I will try and apply, though I'm quite discouraged by the stats on MSAR..... Their mission just fits with me very well and one can easily see that their very holistic application review is representative of their mission.

do they cut off for anything other than GPA or MCAT?

:( stil waiting on secondary after submitting on july 2

If thats the case, then I will try and apply, though I'm quite discouraged by the stats on MSAR..... Their mission just fits with me very well and one can easily see that their very holistic application review is representative of their mission.

They changed their process last year. I think the cut off used to be 512/3.5 or something before but now it’s a minimum 500/3. If you’re around that though your chances are probably not that good anyway. There’s no harm in applying. You might get lucky! I would call them if you haven’t gotten a secondary

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

How are you guys answering this? generally? little unsure how to answer 500 words to it lol.

Has anyone heard if they have started giving out IIs yet?

Someone in the Mayo AZ thread said they got an II, but they seemed pretty high stat (LM 81). I still think it's pretty early and I doubt many IIs have gone out at all!

does anyone know how serious Mayo is about wanting apps to be submitted within 2 weeks? I got my secondary on July 23rd, but I was on vacation with my fam (literally the most inopportune time EVER for a vacation), and I've been powering through my secondaries but I've also been swamped with final revisions for a manuscript I'm submitting with my mentor. I was going to do Mayo's this week and I didn't see the 2 week thing on Mayo's email until v recently. I feel so neurotic asking this but does anyone think this will negatively impact my app? Or do they just say that for our sake, and don't actually pay attention to how quickly we submit? Would it be a good/bad idea to shoot an email question to the adcom asking whether it will negatively impact my app? I don't want them to think Mayo isn't one of my top choices, bc it is...

does anyone know how serious Mayo is about wanting apps to be submitted within 2 weeks? I got my secondary on July 23rd, but I was on vacation with my fam (literally the most inopportune time EVER for a vacation), and I've been powering through my secondaries but I've also been swamped with final revisions for a manuscript I'm submitting with my mentor. I was going to do Mayo's this week and I didn't see the 2 week thing on Mayo's email until v recently. I feel so neurotic asking this but does anyone think this will negatively impact my app? Or do they just say that for our sake, and don't actually pay attention to how quickly we submit? Would it be a good/bad idea to shoot an email question to the adcom asking whether it will negatively impact my app? I don't want them to think Mayo isn't one of my top choices, bc it is...

I sent an email last month to their admissions about a relatively minor question and they responded within a few days. They seemed really nice, it can't hurt. They are Minnesotans after all. ;-) Personally, I think a well-written secondary is more important than rushing it out, especially since I've never seen any strict verbiage about a 2 week turnaround time.

I sent an email last month to their admissions about a relatively minor question and they responded within a few days. They seemed really nice, it can't hurt. They are Minnesotans after all. ;-) Personally, I think a well-written secondary is more important than rushing it out, especially since I've never seen any strict verbiage about a 2 week turnaround time.
They say this in the secondary email: "Due to the highly competitive nature of our program, we strongly suggest that you submit your secondary within two weeks of the invitation or as soon as all designated letters have been uploaded to AMCAS." I can't tell if the connotation is "hey we're expecting you to submit this in 2 weeks bc if you don't we'll see that you might not be as serious as other applicants about going here," or if it's like "hey, heads up, this is a competitive school, so it's in your best interest to be quick"

They say this in the secondary email: "Due to the highly competitive nature of our program, we strongly suggest that you submit your secondary within two weeks of the invitation or as soon as all designated letters have been uploaded to AMCAS." I can't tell if the connotation is "hey we're expecting you to submit this in 2 weeks bc if you don't we'll see that you might not be as serious as other applicants about going here," or if it's like "hey, heads up, this is a competitive school, so it's in your best interest to be quick"

I don't think they're saying that you will be less competitive if you submit post 2 weeks. It's most likely the latter; I would do my best to submit around 2-3 weeks post AMCAS to be safe.

Reactions: 1 users
also got the on hold :(

Edit: to look on the bright side, maybe the fact that we weren't outright rejected is good news? I mean Mayo is one of the top schools in the country. Unless they are just sending on hold to everyone they plan on rejecting eventually which would suck in that case. Well there goes trying to look on the bright side :p

Last edited:
when did the people who got put on hold submit their secondary??

II!!!! Can’t believe it, I’m so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Does it mean anything in particular if we didn’t receive a hold?

To all those, like me, who were placed on hold, do not yet fret:

"From what I understand (browsing through multiple school threads on SDN from several years), hold pretty much mean they like you, and may consider giving you an interview but they cannot commit this early until they see more of the application pool that they get. Especially because they have a very small class and they dont want to over interview or take up all their interview slots.

It is way better than those schools that just ghost you for months with no clue if they want to give you an II or rejection. So there's still hope"

I found this in the 2017-2018 MMS thread.

Also got put on hold. LizzyM > 80, ORM. Still one of my favorite schools!

Also got put on hold. LizzyM > 80, ORM. Still one of my favorite schools!

Sorry I hope this doesn't sound bad but the fact that you got an interview at case and Cleveland clinic and also got on hold hear gives me some hope. Cuz your application must be amazing so kinda makes me feel better that we're not totally out of the game if we're on hold here :)

Sorry I hope this doesn't sound bad but the fact that you got an interview at case and Cleveland clinic and also got on hold hear gives me some hope. Cuz your application must be amazing so kinda makes me feel better that we're not totally out of the game if we're on hold here :)

Yeah that's what I'm think too! It's a long, unpredictable process and this is to be expected. And haha best of luck, it's only August we have a long few months ahead of us

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone who preferenced the 2+2 pathway heard anything?