2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Complete 8/17, OOS. Super stoked about this opportunity. Anyone know what the vibe on interview day is like?

Reactions: 6 users
II today! MSTP

So much for "Mid-November"

LM ~75, OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
@ current students: when are we supposed to email in our letters of interest/intent? i sent in thank you letters to my interviewers ~24hrs post interview and basically got left on read (generic "same" from one and no response from the other!!!). the dean of admissions seemed to be super into the idea of "maintaining communication" up until final decisions are made but i have no substantial updates as of now and would rather not send a "u up?" kind of email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@ current students: when are we supposed to email in our letters of interest/intent? i sent in thank you letters to my interviewers ~24hrs post interview and basically got left on read (generic "same" from one and no response from the other!!!). the dean of admissions seemed to be super into the idea of "maintaining communication" up until final decisions are made but i have no substantial updates as of now and would rather not send a "u up?" kind of email.

Same lol. I loved the school and my interview group was super cool! I'm planning on sending a letter of interest after attending my other interview. I think they interview a lot of people who get accepted at other top schools so I think just sending a letter and expressing your interest is fine. I don't think you need a substantial update to your application to reach out.

Not sure if I had a hold; only applied to MN.
Subject line was No interview.

Anyone know how the hold process works/how many people they place on hold pre-II?

Received an email and thought I finally received the R.... but apparently I'm now placed on hold for MD. :laugh: I was complete in mid-July. Not sure what this means, especially since Mayo interviews applicants through mid-December.... Very confused and would appreciate any insight on this

Hi @NewYorkIsBestYork ,

Another MN student here. I'm sure @MarineMDHopeful is knee-deep in anatomy right now, so I'll pop in.

After interviews, your application/interview will be brought up in an admissions committee meeting. Both people who interviewed you have to be present, so don't worry if your "ranked" email comes in later than someone on the same interview day cohort. Think of your interviewers as the "town criers" for you. After committee discussion, an applicant is given a ranking from 1-5. Shortly after the meeting once all the votes are locked, you will receive an email that says "you have been ranked".

There's no particular way that you should view these (favorable vs. unfavorable). Every single person get's the "ranked" email. There isn't a ranked or highly ranked designation this year.The only suggestion I'd have is If you continue to go through the season, and you find yourself coming back to Mayo time and time again, send in emails letting them know.

Later in the season, the committee "of sorcerers" (not sure of official name) comes in and figures out how to craft a class.. That's where the magic happens, and it's not in order of your precise ranking #, but about pulling a community together with different stories, strengths, weaknesses, backgrounds, personalities.

Haha, totally hit the nail on the head. Been anatomying (if that's a word) it up. Thanks for the pick up on my fumble @skysong007 !

II today! OOS applicant complete 8/13, so excited to interview here!

Last edited:
Did anyone who interviewed here get the vibe that they wanted letters of interest/intent? I remember the Dean heavily implying they wanted communication but was wondering if/when people would send letters if they didn’t have a big update.

Did anyone who interviewed here get the vibe that they wanted letters of interest/intent? I remember the Dean heavily implying they wanted communication but was wondering if/when people would send letters if they didn’t have a big update.

I got the impression that they wanted to know if you had a particularly pleasant dream about Mayo. I would say they almost set an expectation that if you want to attend, you should send them a letter.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the impression that they wanted to know if you had a particularly pleasant dream about Mayo. I would say they almost set an expectation that if you want to attend, you should send them a letter.

Did they say anything about when to send letters when you were there? I thought letters of intent were typically sent once you were waitlisted.

Did they say anything about when to send letters when you were there? I thought letters of intent were typically sent once you were waitlisted.
I interviewed at the AZ campus (still hoping for some love here) but I imagine it’s the same. From what it sounded like letters of intent and interest would play a relatively significant role in helping them select who they would accept. I’m planning on sending mine in on a few weeks.

Has anyone interviewed for the Florida 2+2 track?

II today! Complete 8/17, OOS. Super stoked about this opportunity. Anyone know what the vibe on interview day is like?

The atmosphere is very warm, mostly because the head of admissions, Dr. Fischer, is a very good, almost Mr. Rogers-like communicator. The people in your interview group will all be, in my experience, really interesting but also extremely kind. It was a very, very cool time for me personally. After the meeting, the interviewees break into groups, where one wanders around campus and the others interview. Then you go have lunch with current students. Honestly, it was a very overwhelming but also calming experience for me. I'm really glad it was my first interview, it gave me good control of my nerves for the subsequent ones.

I recall Dr. Fischer and/or Teresa (the coordinator) mentioning that they expected to receive one, any time after the interview--it was said in a way where I assumed it was, in fact, mandatory.

No hold, no interview, nothing since August from them. Do I have any shot of interviewing here if they stop interviewing in a month? Didn't realize how much of this process would be total silence from schools. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been axed from everywhere yet, but I would like some word.. going to Mayo would be too amazing.

Hey! What did your generic email say, if you don't mind me asking?

No hold, no interview, nothing since August from them. Do I have any shot of interviewing here if they stop interviewing in a month? Didn't realize how much of this process would be total silence from schools. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been axed from everywhere yet, but I would like some word.. going to Mayo would be too amazing.

fwiw I was complete here since July and had silence (no hold email) until this week when I was surprised with an interview invite! Still assumed I got rejected until I got the II though just in case so I wouldn't be disappointed haha.

Reactions: 3 users
fwiw I was complete here since July and had silence (no hold email) until this week when I was surprised with an interview invite! Still assumed I got rejected until I got the II though just in case so I wouldn't be disappointed haha.
thank you (i love you) and will be assuming the R until I hear from them as well haha.

thank you (i love you) and will be assuming the R until I hear from them as well haha.

From last year's thread, it seems that pre-II rejections came last week of November, so I'm also just holding my breath for an invite before then.