*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD Rejections ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A somber thread to keep each other updated on when schools are releasing decisions.
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) click quote on the most recent list
2) delete the quote tags on the top and bottom
3) add your user name, ( complete date, interview invite date, interview date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, add the school name to the list
4) Enter the name(s) of the school(s) where you are adding data into the "Title" box (at the top) so that your changes can be easily located. Alphabetical order please.
5) Enter Submit and prepare for your interviews

Example School: premed1 (C: 7/1 II: 7/2), premed2 (C: 7/2 II: 7/5), ...

Legend:
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite date
(Optional) IA: Interview Attendance date
R: Rejection date

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-Secondary
University of Washington:
squeakpeak (C: 7/26, R: 7/30)

Pre-Interview

Post-Interview:

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview

Post-Interview:

Were your recs in? Does anyone know if UW starts reviewing prelim apps only after they've received your recs? And were you rejected via email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were your recs in? Does anyone know if UW starts reviewing prelim apps only after they've received your recs? And were you rejected via email?

My letters were in so I cant tell if they would've waited for LOR. I was rejected via snail mail.

University of Pittsburgh

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:

University of Pittsburgh (C: 7/10, R: 8/8)

Post-Interview:

Thomas Jefferson. Looked at portal this morning and status said "interview not offered" :( fun fact I only knew because they looked at my LinkedIn! Have yet to receive an official email but from reading the TJ thread from last year this status equals rejection.

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:

University of Pittsburgh (C: 7/10, R: 8/8)
Thomas Jefferson (C: 8/1, R: 8/9)

Post-Interview:

Thomas Jefferson. Looked at portal this morning and status said "interview not offered" :( fun fact I only knew because they looked at my LinkedIn! Have yet to receive an official email but from reading the TJ thread from last year this status equals rejection.
Bummer:( Does that appear in the same place as the "Application Complete" status?

Also fixing formatting:

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:
University of Pittsburgh:
DaGhost (C: 7/10, R: 8/8)
Thomas Jefferson: Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/1, R: 8/9)

Post-Interview:

Bummer:( Does that appear in the same place as the "Application Complete" status?

Also fixing formatting:

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:
Yep! It was on the "application status" tab. And under the "application complete" box with the green check was the "interview not offered" box with a green check.

Does anyone know what being "on hold" for an interview means? Is it basically a soft rejection?

Does anyone know what being "on hold" for an interview means? Is it basically a soft rejection?
I think it depends on the school. I'm on hold at UW. From what I've browsed, other people have been on hold at UW in past years, but I'm not sure what the success rate is. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

Several people who were initially "on hold" at UW this past cycle (myself included) were offered interviews at the last minute and ultimately accepted. Show continued interest, add updates when necessary (I sent an update in mid February and received an II the next day), and keep your chin up!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree. HOLD means something different from school to school. For my program, every year, I have eventually invited to interview and accepted applicants who were initially placed on the HOLD list by the MD/PhD Admissions Committee.

Reactions: 3 users
Several people who were initially "on hold" at UW this past cycle (myself included) were offered interviews at the last minute and ultimately accepted. Show continued interest, add updates when necessary (I sent an update in mid February and received an II the next day), and keep your chin up!
Thank you everyone! UW MSTP is one of my top choices and I was really disheartened to receive that email yesterday but this is making me feel better. You guys are the best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first R today! Weill Cornell/Tri-I

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:

Tri I

Pre-Secondary

Pre-Interview:
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:

Tri-I for me too! I feel like this is just the start of a bunch of rejections...

Pre-Secondary
University of Washington: squeakpeak (C: 7/26, R: 7/30)

Pre-Interview:
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:

Reactions: 1 user
So, that rejection from Tri-I today has low-key gotten me worried about my other apps. I am confident in my application but, after today's dose of humility, find myself just hoping I get an II from my other schools! :unsure::nailbiting:

So, that rejection from Tri-I today has low-key gotten me worried about my other apps. I am confident in my application but, after today's dose of humility, find myself just hoping I get an II from my other schools! :unsure::nailbiting:
Bruh from what I’ve seen you’ve got some invites to pretty incredible institutions already. I feel like you will be A-OK!

Reactions: 3 users

It’ll be alright. Can’t win ‘em all. Tri-I is rly selective (3 Interview dates all year!) and at the most competitive tier (where you already hold IIs) there’s a lot of chance involved too

Reactions: 2 users
Bruh from what I’ve seen you’ve got some invites to pretty incredible institutions already. I feel like you will be A-OK!
It’ll be alright. Can’t win ‘em all. Tri-I is rly selective (3 Interview dates all year!) and at the most competitive tier (where you already hold IIs) there’s a lot of chance involved too

Thanks y'all. I knew going into this to expect rejections as it's pretty much guaranteed to get at least one. It's still a reality check to get one! Even if the reality check is about how varied the schools' opinions can be of you or of the unpredictability of the process.

I suppose it's all out of our hands now, though (as far as getting to the II or R stage, anyway)!

Edit: Clearly, I suck at using the "multi-quote" feature :p

Do most MD PhD/MSTP programs send out rejections post secondary applications? Like if I haven't heard anything from schools that are sending out rejections to people who completed their secondaries around the same time as me or even after me, is that a good thing? Am I still in their applicant pool of people who they might offer interviews to? Or do some schools just not say anything to do if they don't offer you an interview?

Do most MD PhD/MSTP programs send out rejections post secondary applications? Like if I haven't heard anything from schools that are sending out rejections to people who completed their secondaries around the same time as me or even after me, is that a good thing? Am I still in their applicant pool of people who they might offer interviews to? Or do some schools just not say anything to do if they don't offer you an interview?

Hard to say. Every school is different and it’s futile to attempt to divine how applications are reviewed. Complete date isn’t even particularly reliable. Just have to be patient.

University of Wisconsin- Madison

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
University of Wisconsin- Madison: DaGhost (C: 7/15, R: 8/27)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:[/QUOTE]

FYI, I received invite from a school where lots of people complete around the same time had already reported II weeks earlier (reported, because I don't know anyone else irl currently applying for MD PhD, so SDN u my only company). I'm sure it varies by school but I think no rejection = don't lose hope yet.

FYI, I received invite from a school where lots of people complete around the same time had already reported II weeks earlier (reported, because I don't know anyone else irl currently applying for MD PhD, so SDN u my only company). I'm sure it varies by school but I think no rejection = don't lose hope yet.
Congrats! Yeah that was my feeling about it. They give interviews to the best of the best obvious choices early on, reject people pre interview who don't make the cut, and then the rest of us are floating around in a sea of applications and are still totally fair game. My friend who applied MD/PhD for the 2015/2016 cycle a few years ago didn't get her secondaries in until like September once we were back to school. She got lots of interviews that fall and was flying all over going to them well into early 2016. She's just starting her PhD year at Case Western now. We'll be fine, we just need to be patient :)

USC

:/

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Thomas Jefferson:
Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/1, R: 8/9)
University of Pittsburgh: DaGhost (C: 7/10, R: 8/8)
University of Southern California: Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/2, R: 8/28)

Post-Interview:

Tri-I! Can’t say I didn’t see it coming.

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Thomas Jefferson:
University of Southern California:Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/2, R: 8/28)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28)

Post-Interview:

Washington University

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Thomas Jefferson:
Washington University: Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/3, R: 8/29)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28)

Post-Interview:

First R from Tri-I. Surprised because I thought of all the programs on my list this was going to be one of the best fits for my background.

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Thomas Jefferson:
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28), Lucca (R: 8/29)

Post-Interview:

@Lucca I think Tri-I is probably one of the hardest places to get an MD/PhD interview, at least looking from past threads, maybe besides Stanford and Harvard. Sorry about the news, but to be honest, knowing that you're such a stellar candidate, this makes me feel slightly better about my own rejection.

@Lucca

When were you complete if you don’t mind me asking?

Some times the process seems random... The Admission Committees are filled with humans, who make mistakes, misinterpret information, and despite our training, have bias. Most of us would be fond of an applicant who seems to clone ourselves. In the big scheme, the process is actually fair and I am certain that you will have choices.

Reactions: 7 users
Every autumn when we receive the MD-PhD matriculation support from AAMC, I wonder about the people we rejected pre- or post-interview that enroll at Harvard, Tri-I, Penn, UCSF, etc. Did we make a miss something? Did we make a mistake? Perhaps we did, but i also wonder about the people in our program who were rejected by programs that may be considered less prestigious than ours. I sure hope we did not make a mistake on these guys! In the end it we are working on less-than-complete information, and make the best guess we can. In the end, MD-PhD admissions is like a Seurat painting: somewhat incomprehensible if you focus too narrowly, but once you step back and take in the whole canvas it all makes sense.

Reactions: 5 users
Two more rejections. Rejected for both MSTP and MD for NYU and MSTP for Stanford. I know those are both incredibly competitive schools, but could still use a pep talk lol
Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30)
Stanford: Celme123 (C:8/23, R:8/26)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28), Lucca (R: 8/29)

Post-Interview:

Late to this thread, but R's from University of Washington last month and tri-I 8/22

Pre-Secondary:
squeakpeak (C: 7/26, R: 7/30), binuclearcopper (C: ?, R: 8/3)

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28), Lucca (R: 8/29); binuclearcopper (C: 7/13, R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:

First rejection from NYU. Yes it's competitive but my stomach still dropped what I saw the email yada yada yada. Also I got the email at 7:18 am so it was the first thing I saw on my phone after I silenced my alarm, not a great way to start the day.

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28), Lucca (R: 8/29); binuclearcopper (C: 7/13, R: 8/22)

Post-Interview:

First rejection from NYU. Yes it's competitive but my stomach still dropped what I saw the email yada yada yada. Also I got the email at 7:18 am so it was the first thing I saw on my phone after I silenced my alarm, not a great way to start the day.

I got that same 7:18am rejection and it's how I started my day too, so I feel you!

got my second rejection today from Pitt (along with UWash more than a week ago post secondary)
no II yet.. my stats are exactly the average of their matriculants and I have over 8 years research experience, but I know they get a lot of apps..
regardless I'm still starting to worry there's just something wrong with my app or they dont like something about me idunno :(

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
University of Pittsburgh: DaGhost (C: 7/10, R: 8/8) acoustic_apricots (C: 8/9, R: 8/30)
University of Washington: acoustic_apricots (C: 8/8, R: 8/20)

got my second rejection today from Pitt (along with UWash more than a week ago post secondary)
no II yet.. my stats are exactly the average of their matriculants and I have over 8 years research experience, but I know they get a lot of apps..
regardless I'm still starting to worry there's just something wrong with my app or they dont like something about me idunno :(

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
University of Pittsburgh: DaGhost (C: 7/10, R: 8/8) acoustic_apricots (C: 8/9, R: 8/30)

I know it's hard not to worry, but this time last year I had gotten rejections from UWash and Stanford post-secondary before hearing any good news from schools. I ended up with 10+ II's and several T10/20 acceptances. MSTP admissions to any particular school can seem a bit random, but I promise that you'll be fine overall if you're a strong applicant.

Reactions: 6 users
I know it's hard not to worry, but this time last year I had gotten rejections from UWash and Stanford post-secondary before hearing any good news from schools. I ended up with 10+ II's and several T10/20 acceptances. MSTP admissions to any particular school can seem a bit random, but I promise that you'll be fine overall if you're a strong applicant.

thank you kind stranger, I needed to hear that today.

Also got the early morning axe from NYU, feelsbadman

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30) Clementine1863 (C: 8/16, R: 8/31)

Last edited:
UCSF said, nah girl

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30) Clementine1863 (C: 8/16, R: 8/31)
University of California San Francisco: binuclearcopper (C:7/18, R: 9/6)
Weill Cornell/Tri-I: looptheloop (C: 7/20, R: 8/22), Shmoopdippydoop (C: 7/12, R: 8/22), Celme123 (C: 7/9 R: 8/22), nakamarra (C:7/30 R:8/28), Lucca (R: 8/29); binuclearcopper (C: 7/13, R: 8/22)[/QUOTE]

NYU MSTP. First news I've heard this cycle, feels bad :/

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
New York University:
Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30) Clementine1863 (C: 8/16, R: 8/31) bork (C: 8/8, R: 9/10)
University of California San Francisco: binuclearcopper (C:7/18, R: 9/6)

Einstein

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Einstein:
DaGhost (C: 7/20, R: 9/12)
New York University: Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30) Clementine1863 (C: 8/16, R: 8/31) bork (C: 8/8, R: 9/10)
University of California San Francisco:binuclearcopper (C:7/18, R: 9/6)
University of Washington: acoustic_apricots (C: 8/8, R: 8/20), MehKMeh (C:7/30, R: 08/09)
Washington University:Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/3, R: 8/29)

Einstein as well. Bah.

Pre-Secondary:

Pre-Interview:
Einstein:
DaGhost (C: 7/20, R: 9/12) Klucket2 (C:7/20, R:9/12)
New York University: Celme123 (C:7/20, R:8/30) Klucket2 (C:7/16, R:8/30) Clementine1863 (C: 8/16, R: 8/31) bork (C: 8/8, R: 9/10)
University of California San Francisco:binuclearcopper (C:7/18, R: 9/6)
University of Washington: acoustic_apricots (C: 8/8, R: 8/20), MehKMeh (C:7/30, R: 08/09)
Washington University:Thoroughbred_Med (C: 8/3, R: 8/29)