2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wowww I should've tried doing that for the 17 hour drive. Next time though :eek:
Hey the interview is in 36 hours so there’s still a chance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i went through this thread and don't think i spotted much on what the interview is like, except that it's fairly relaxed. would anyone be willing to speak a bit on the kind of questions they asked, besides why medicine and why mcw? i heard from others that they may ask you about a time you challenged authority or overcame hardship?
They were mostly typical questions including the ones you mentioned: tell me about yourself, what challenges have you overcome, tell me about a time involving teamwork, etc. Several questions were specific to my application (both interviews are open file IIRC), so just be sure to look yours over and make sure you can speak concisely about your experiences and what they mean to you. One of my interviewers also asked about why I specifically wanted to be a physician (versus nurse, PA, etc), and wanted to know about times when I was a leader and when I was a follower.

You mentioned you hadn't done non-MMI interviews before, right? I would definitely practice the big questions (why med, why this school, tell me about yourself) out loud, and I found it helpful to write down a few sentences for each question when I was preparing for interviews—basically try to get your thoughts/answers in some kind of tangible form, whether it be speech or writing. And make sure to prepare some questions to ask about the program, work culture, the student life (if you have a student interviewer), etc! Doesn't matter if it got covered in a presentation already or if you already read something about it online—it's always helpful to get info one-on-one like that, plus the interviewer may interpret it as you demonstrating clear interest in the program.

Finally, relax! Don't forget to smile, and it is okay to take a moment to think about your answer. Good luck, all of you guys are gonna kill it!

Reactions: 4 users
They were mostly typical questions including the ones you mentioned: tell me about yourself, what challenges have you overcome, tell me about a time involving teamwork, etc. Several questions were specific to my application (both interviews are open file IIRC), so just be sure to look yours over and make sure you can speak concisely about your experiences and what they mean to you. One of my interviewers also asked about why I specifically wanted to be a physician (versus nurse, PA, etc), and wanted to know about times when I was a leader and when I was a follower.

You mentioned you hadn't done non-MMI interviews before, right? I would definitely practice the big questions (why med, why this school, tell me about yourself) out loud, and I found it helpful to write down a few sentences for each question when I was preparing for interviews—basically try to get your thoughts/answers in some kind of tangible form, whether it be speech or writing. And make sure to prepare some questions to ask about the program, work culture, the student life (if you have a student interviewer), etc! Doesn't matter if it got covered in a presentation already or if you already read something about it online—it's always helpful to get info one-on-one like that, plus the interviewer may interpret it as you demonstrating clear interest in the program.

Finally, relax! Don't forget to smile, and it is okay to take a moment to think about your answer. Good luck, all of you guys are gonna kill it!

thank you so much for taking the time to write this, it is very helpful!! definitely already jotting down a loose script for "big questions". thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know the pros and cons of the curriculum? Looks like it’s traditional the first year and system based in second yeah.

Silly question but how do you handle inclement weather with interview dress code? Is there a tour outside? If so did you bring snow boots to change into for the walk but wear professional shoes during the interview? Like I said... silly wardrobe question....

Silly question but how do you handle inclement weather with interview dress code? Is there a tour outside? If so did you bring snow boots to change into for the walk but wear professional shoes during the interview? Like I said... silly wardrobe question....
I highly doubt (and really hope) we will spend much time outside - if any.

You don't go outside at all on interview day, other than from your car to the front door.
got an interview for this friday and am trying to figure out how to make it from boston. sweating bullets. please god wish me luck. anyone have any tips for preparing for the interview in 24 hours? i haven't had a chance to do a non-mmi interview yet, so my stress levels are through the roof!
No need to sweat! The interviews were very straightforward. My faculty interviewer asked a ton of questions, ~20 rapid fire, but they were all about who I am, my experiences, and what I would be able to bring to the school. Pretty straightforward, not much to prep!
Anybody know the pros and cons of the curriculum? Looks like it’s traditional the first year and system based in second yeah.
As far as the curriculum goes, a con that really stood out to me was the traditional style course setup separating anatomy from physiology from molecular, etc. with hardly any linkage between them. The bulk of anatomy is only the first 4 months of school -- students mentioned it's a lot to take in at once and remember come step time.

Huge pro for me was the Kern Institute. Not sure how or if it ties directly into the "curriculum" per se, but I think it's important that the administration is thinking about the wellbeing of their students. Another pro was the clinical apprenticeship, though I haven't yet seen a school that doesn't have some sort of preceptorship built into the early stages of the program. The pathways that allow you to tailor your education a bit, however, seem interesting and unique.

These are really the only things that stood out to me, so perhaps others can add more. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Off topic but I don't know why I'm so bothered that this discussion is titled "Medical College AT Wisconsin"

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R
Submitted around late July
The email started out with “On behalf of the admissions committee...” so was excited to open up the email...but oh well

Good luck with everyone else in this cycle!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm a little saddened that they haven't communicated a timeline for institutional scholarships yet... I've received generous offers from other schools and it makes it really difficult to plan for my future when they haven't informed us when they will be giving us a full financial picture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm a little saddened that they haven't communicated a timeline for institutional scholarships yet... I've received generous offers from other schools and it makes it really difficult to plan for my future when they haven't informed us when they will be giving us a full financial picture.

I agree it would be nice to have a timeline, but it is only the beginning of March! Most schools are still finishing interviews and we have until the end of April (around 2 months) to decide. Plus you never know how it will all shake out with wait list position, financial aid, scholarships, second look days, and other factors swaying the decision too.

I agree it would be nice to have a timeline, but it is only the beginning of March! Most schools are still finishing interviews and we have until the end of April (around 2 months) to decide. Plus you never know how it will all shake out with wait list position, financial aid, scholarships, second look days, and other factors swaying the decision too.
I feel what you’re saying, I just wish they would give an approx. timeline. I shot them an email a while ago but they never got me a solid range of dates. Given the significantly lowered tuition I’m getting from another institution, it may be that MCW would have to offer close to a full ride for me to be invested in MCW from the financial standpoint, unfortunately. Really, really want to attend!

I feel what you’re saying, I just wish they would give an approx. timeline. I shot them an email a while ago but they never got me a solid range of dates. Given the significantly lowered tuition I’m getting from another institution, it may be that MCW would have to offer close to a full ride for me to be invested in MCW from the financial standpoint, unfortunately. Really, really want to attend!
so they do give institutional aid? I thought it was only need-based

At the interview, they mentioned it won't be finalized until they finish filling the class which is sometimes... only a few weeks before the class starts. Since it is mostly need based, they have to finalize the class before they can hand it out. That is why they probably cannot give you an effective timeline. The person from financial aid said sometimes its a week before classes start while other years it happens in the spring.

I do recall this. However in my email correspondence with the financial aid office, they cited that the financial aid award would be available in spring, and then again clarified later when meeting with a finaid counselor... they then told me to contact admissions for their timeline on scholarships that might not be included in the estimate (I’m assuming deans scholarship or something like this) but admissions hasn’t gotten back to me yet

Regardless of all this, I just needed to get off my chest that it’s frustrating that MCW has to approach financial aid like this. I’m trying to plan with my partner, not only for my future but for hers.. I know it’s not easy on their part but when other med schools already have given me offers it makes me wonder if they could be doing things differently.

I do recall this. However in my email correspondence with the financial aid office, they cited that the financial aid award would be available in spring, and then again clarified later when meeting with a finaid counselor... they then told me to contact admissions for their timeline on scholarships that might not be included in the estimate (I’m assuming deans scholarship or something like this) but admissions hasn’t gotten back to me yet

Regardless of all this, I just needed to get off my chest that it’s frustrating that MCW has to approach financial aid like this. I’m trying to plan with my partner, not only for my future but for hers.. I know it’s not easy on their part but when other med schools already have given me offers it makes me wonder if they could be doing things differently.

If you already have good offers from other schools then maybe you should choose one of them since you might be hearing about MCW aid in August. I highly doubt they are going to be releasing this info by April 30th, since they made it clear at my interview that they do not give merit scholarships (someone asked and they literally said they do not).

If you already have good offers from other schools then maybe you should choose one of them since you might be hearing about MCW aid in August. I highly doubt they are going to be releasing this info by April 30th, since they made it clear at my interview that they do not give merit scholarships (someone asked and they literally said they do not).

Yeah I’m planning on shooting them a final email asking what the deal is, but I’ll be planning on attending another institution unless things change... here’s to hoping!

Yeah I’m planning on shooting them a final email asking what the deal is, but I’ll be planning on attending another institution unless things change... here’s to hoping!
Please let us know what they say. Thank you! This application process is sure long but so worth it.

Does anyone have any advice for what to include in an LOI or update letter? Currently sitting on a waitlist and trying to draft the best possible letter as MCW is my top choice

Anybody who interviewed on Friday know if they said a specific date when we will hear back? I thought they said 1-2 weeks. I really fell in love with the school so anxiously waiting a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS pre-ii R. Saw this one coming since they finished last week, just thought I’d post it for those who will look back at this forum next year.

OOS pre-ii R. Saw this one coming since they finished last week, just thought I’d post it for those who will look back at this forum next year.

Did your letter say your application has been withdrawn? Just wondering since their rejection letter makes it seem like you have a shot of interviewing if you reapply.

Finally got that pre-II R! I guess don't wait till October to submit secondaries, lol. Can't believe the next cycle is only 3 months away

For those getting rejected, did your letter say your application had been withdrawn?

Does anyone know if they release their acceptances on a specific day or if it is more random?? Anxiously waiting :corny:

Does anyone know if they release their acceptances on a specific day or if it is more random?? Anxiously waiting :corny:
From this year's thread, it seems as though most decisions are released on Fridays.

Edit: Fridays for acceptances, maybe not all decisions

Last edited:
Does MCW do silent rejections? Complete in August and my portal has looked exactly the same since...

Does MCW do silent rejections? Complete in August and my portal has looked exactly the same since...
Not sure on silent rejections, but they're done interviewing anyway so either way MCW's cycle is over

Have you reached out the office to see when should we accept to receive our financial aid packages? thanks

Have you reached out the office to see when should we accept to receive our financial aid packages? thanks

I have. Office of Fin Aid didn't give any deadline whatsoever, but they said that they really don't have enough aid to give to incoming M1s, so don't expect any need based scholarships.

Office of Admissions said they hope to award initial merit based aid by the end of the month, but it will be a rolling basis after that as they redirect declined offers to other students.

I have. Office of Fin Aid didn't give any deadline whatsoever, but they said that they really don't have enough aid to give to incoming M1s, so don't expect any need based scholarships.

Office of Admissions said they hope to award initial merit based aid by the end of the month, but it will be a rolling basis after that as they redirect declined offers to other students.

Thanks

Thanks for this!

I'm out here hoping for some merit based aid. That would be so legit!

Same here. Sorry :(
I did not like the interview there.
I liked mine. I thought the student went well but didn’t think the faculty was as positive. I liked the school a lot but guess they don’t like me the same way

I liked mine. I thought the student went well but didn’t think the faculty was as positive. I liked the school a lot but guess they don’t like me the same way

The two faculty members I interviewed with narrowed in on two negative aspects of my application that were irrelevant to my ability to study medicine. They weren’t warm. And the financial aid guy rubbed me the wrong way.

Any acceptances or waitlists?Also does everyone know if all rejections were on Thursday?

Last edited: