2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wanted some input from current students if possible. I was recently accepted and will be attending MCW this fall. I currently live with my fiance in Chicago, and my SO has mandatory classes for their program M-F. I was wondering if it would be possible to live in Chicago and go to class 2-3 days ( Mandatory classes) and if any of you have gone through something similar. Thanks in advance.
Were you recently accepted off the Waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there has been waitlist movement yet?

From last year's thread it seems like there wasn't any movement until the second week of May. So maybe this week they're just starting to review the waitlisted applicants now that they've heard from accepted applicants by April 30th. Who knows... but hopefully we'll hear something soon!!!:xf:

Also gotta remember that not everyone is on SDN, it's a select percent of the total applicant pool.

I wanted some input from current students if possible. I was recently accepted and will be attending MCW this fall. I currently live with my fiance in Chicago, and my SO has mandatory classes for their program M-F. I was wondering if it would be possible to live in Chicago and go to class 2-3 days ( Mandatory classes) and if any of you have gone through something similar. Thanks in advance.

Not a current student but at my interview day I talked to a student who did exactly this! It's possible, it seems.

Also yes. Please let us know if this was a waitlist acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a current student but at my interview day I talked to a student who did exactly this! It's possible, it seems.

Also yes. Please let us know if this was a waitlist acceptance.

I was accepted over a month ago and a half ago, sorry for the confusion when I wrote down " recently". Would still appreciate others input. thanks

I was accepted over a month ago and a half ago, sorry for the confusion when I wrote down " recently". Would still appreciate others input. thanks

Not a current student and I decided against MCW, but I'm a Milwaukee native. My SO lives in Milwaukee and I live in Chicago. Rather than living in Chicago, I'd suggest finding an apartment near Milwaukee Intermodal, at least for your first year. That way you can hop on the Amtrak whenever you like, and see how it works for you.

Not a current student and I decided against MCW, but I'm a Milwaukee native. My SO lives in Milwaukee and I live in Chicago. Rather than living in Chicago, I'd suggest finding an apartment near Milwaukee Intermodal, at least for your first year. That way you can hop on the Amtrak whenever you like, and see how it works for you.

Thank you for the prompt response, appreciate your input.

Does anyone know how often we are quizzed or examed? Is it just a cumulative exam at the end of each block or are there periodic quizzes? Thanks.
Most courses are exams every 5 weeks. Molecules to Cells consists of a quiz after 2 or 3 weeks for the first two blocks, maybe the first three. I can't remember exactly. That's the only class that has a quiz. We had a quiz for Anatomy second semester but that was a brand new thing and I'm not sure they are going to continue it. The anatomy course was somewhat restructured so they added a quiz to give students more opportunities for points so that our grade for the last block of Anatomy didn't ride on one exam grade.

Can any current medical students comment on what the Brightspace Orientation course consists of?
I don't even remember doing this. I'm sure we did since it was the first year MCW was using Brightspace. I'm sure it's just a basic get familiar with the software setup thing. Nothing too in depth, but there's a lot of other requirements to complete before matriculation so I recommend getting started on those sooner rather than later.

why do they need credit reports to stay on the waitlist?
My best guess is because they need to know that your credit is good enough to receive the loans that might be necessary to afford the cost of attendance. They want to make sure their waitlist is filled with people who, if they decided to accept, can 100% attend instead of offering a spot to someone who ends up having bad credit and then is unable to matriculate. This would waste time for both parties involved, and also messes with any school's statistics of how many offers they sent out versus how many candidates accepted said offer. I know it's a pain but it literally is just going to the credit report website and getting your report sent to you and forwarding it to MCW as a PDF. That's assuming there's nothing wrong with your report. If there is, you need to get it fixed before submitting it to MCW...thus why it is also a good thing to have this done ASAP and required for those on the waitlist.

Is there an accepted student FB group? I was accepted in December and haven't heard anything about one.

Is there an accepted student FB group? I was accepted in December and haven't heard anything about one.

Yes there is. Medical College of Wisconsin 2023

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they say when movement started?
If I remember correctly, exact words were "oh movement is ongoing already", they didn't specify a particular start date.

This was interesting because it contradicted what I had been told in an email from admissions mid-April (I sent them an email asking when movement would begin), to which they responded: "offers of admission would begin mid-to-late May".

Perhaps they just got an earlier start on things? I know SDN is far from representative but you would think we would have seen at least a post or two by now

If I remember correctly, exact words were "oh movement is ongoing already", they didn't specify a particular start date.

This was interesting because it contradicted what I had been told in an email from admissions mid-April (I sent them an email asking when movement would begin), to which they responded: "offers of admission would begin mid-to-late May".

Perhaps they just got an earlier start on things? I know SDN is far from representative but you would think we would have seen at least a post or two by now

Hmm yeah, that is contradictory to what I was told as well. I emailed them early last week and they said they did not anticipate any waitlist movement for "at least a couple of weeks."

Hmm yeah, that is contradictory to what I was told as well. I emailed them early last week and they said they did not anticipate any waitlist movement for "at least a couple of weeks."
Yeah, I was definitely a bit shocked - to the point of am I hearing this correctly? - so I thought I would post here to see if we could get some clarification from other WL candidates.

I also called them (but this was almost a week and a half ago now). They did tell me that movement had started. But I pushed a little because the answer seemed vague to me, and they ALSO told me the class was full as of now. I'll be honest, I think very few people know what's actually happening.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to add something from the other side of things...

I am accepted here and waiting to see if I will get pulled off the waitlist at another school, in which case I would give up my acceptance here. WL movement at the other school most likely wont happen until after their CTE deadline, since that's when they'll truly know how many spots are available for WL students. That means I wouldn't release my acceptance here until that happens, around late-June. We had to put down a deposit on April 30th to hold a spot in the class, so I'm sure there are lots of other students in my situation who are only "reserving" our spot in MCW's class until we find out one way or another from our WL schools. So I don't think the class is truly "full", but just reserved for the time being, especially because MCW's CTE date is a long ways away at July 15th.

I'm also in somewhat of the same boat by MCW and my WL school's CTE's are both July 15th lol welp o_O

I'm also in somewhat of the same boat by MCW and my WL school's CTE's are both July 15th lol welp o_O

You should def contact your WL school and tell them you'd need to know before then! I'm sure there are some people holding acceptances at your WL school who have earlier CTE deadlines at other schools and can free spots up before July 15th

So what is the deadline for Central Wisconsin? Orientation is July 1st if I remember. I'm waitlisted and I can't find anything on the portal

So what is the deadline for Central Wisconsin? Orientation is July 1st if I remember. I'm waitlisted and I can't find anything on the portal

I don't know for sure but I'm wondering if it's around June 15th since the MKE deadline is July 15th and starts about a month later. I'd give the office a call though!

You should def contact your WL school and tell them you'd need to know before then! I'm sure there are some people holding acceptances at your WL school who have earlier CTE deadlines at other schools and can free spots up before July 15th

I might but honestly their admissions office has been negative help when I call them to ask questions lol, kind of makes me want to come to MCW so much more, but the WL is my state school so financially it's a big difference and also I'm from the East Coast so Milwaukee would be a big transition for me!

Hey sorry late to the game here! I think we both interviewed on the same day at CW. I got an email reminding me that the deadline for CTE was June 10th for the CW campus (I’m a current accepted student). Hope this helps!

Hey sorry late to the game here! I think we both interviewed on the same day at CW. I got an email reminding me that the deadline for CTE was June 10th for the CW campus (I’m a current accepted student). Hope this helps!
Thanks a ton!

Oh btw... do you plan on attending MCW-CW?

Good morning!
I’m emailing to give you a brief update on the status of our incoming class and waitlist. At this time, we do not anticipate extending more offers of admission for the incoming class. It is possible that additional spaces will become available throughout the summer. In that case, we will make offers until the incoming class is full. We will do our best to keep you updated as changes occur.
If you’ve made other plans and are no longer interested in MCW, please contact us to withdraw your application. We appreciate knowing so the Admissions Committee can focus their review on those who are still interested.
Thanks for your time, and please let us know if you have any questions about the process. We appreciate your time and patience.
Have a great week!

Just got this from MCW

Good morning!
I’m emailing to give you a brief update on the status of our incoming class and waitlist. At this time, we do not anticipate extending more offers of admission for the incoming class. It is possible that additional spaces will become available throughout the summer. In that case, we will make offers until the incoming class is full. We will do our best to keep you updated as changes occur.
If you’ve made other plans and are no longer interested in MCW, please contact us to withdraw your application. We appreciate knowing so the Admissions Committee can focus their review on those who are still interested.
Thanks for your time, and please let us know if you have any questions about the process. We appreciate your time and patience.
Have a great week!

Just got this from MCW

Yep, just saw this. Really disappointing...

Yea I didn't see much either. Maybe they accepted more people than seats available so it just ended up filling up.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I didn't see much either. Maybe they accepted more people than seats available so it just ended up filling up.

I think this is probably the best interpretation to explain the total absence of WL acceptance reporting on this year's thread while also accounting for the numerous acceptance withdraw posts we've also seen.

I'm sure there may be some minor movement around the July CTE date but it still seems shocking that they *seemingly* didn't have to dip into their WL this year given the new Traffic Rules. Where many other schools apparently underadmitted based on their historical trends in anticipation of the new Traffic Rules mess, it looks like MCW went the other way and overadmitted (only sourcing this from 2018-2019 Waitlist Support Thread)

I think this is probably the best interpretation to explain the total absence of WL acceptance reporting on this year's thread while also accounting for the numerous acceptance withdraw posts we've also seen.

I'm sure there may be some minor movement around the July CTE date but it still seems shocking that they *seemingly* didn't have to dip into their WL this year given the new Traffic Rules. Where many other schools apparently underadmitted based on their historical trends in anticipation of the new Traffic Rules mess, it looks like MCW went the other way and overadmitted (only sourcing this from 2018-2019 Waitlist Support Thread)

When I spoke to Alexis on the phone, she did say they had had some movement. It's possible SDN just didn't capture...any of it, I guess.

Oh, very interesting. Yeah, I guess that's definitely a possibility

The other thing is that there are people ON THIS THREAD who said that they paid the deposit for this school but do not intend to go here if they get in to their preferred school. I know MCW must know this - maybe they severely overaccepted and as gyngyn put it, they're probably "sweating bullets" right now.

When I spoke to Alexis on the phone, she did say they had had some movement. It's possible SDN just didn't capture...any of it, I guess.

I can only imagine this tweet is in reference to waitlist movement... Ugh :(

Attachments

• C7DD5E9C-B6B8-4DF9-91C2-A271A0DB3814.jpeg
    C7DD5E9C-B6B8-4DF9-91C2-A271A0DB3814.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 334
I can only imagine this tweet is in reference to waitlist movement... Ugh :(

To be honest it provides me some relief to know that they monitor these threads. If you ever feel like the admissions team is disconnected from the process: they know it sucks. They're watching us hate it in real time! :laugh:

To be honest it provides me some relief to know that they monitor these threads. If you ever feel like the admissions team is disconnected from the process: they know it sucks. They're watching us hate it in real time! :laugh:

And it's worth noting that adcoms are just as in the dark as we are with the new traffic rules in trying to make sense of them and their impact on WL movement.

It's easy to get frustrated and look for somewhere easy to place blame but the reality is that adcoms are doing their best to manage the absolute chaos that PTE/CTE has created. It's a super tough situation for both sides - applicants AND admissions

And it's worth noting that adcoms are just as in the dark as we are with the new traffic rules in trying to make sense of them and their impact on WL movement.

It's easy to get frustrated and look for somewhere easy to place blame but the reality is that adcoms are doing their best to manage the absolute chaos that PTE/CTE has created. It's a super tough situation for both sides - applicants AND admissions

I mean, just reading what gyngyn is saying in the waitlist support thread makes it easy to feel this way. He's all but given up on the chaos of this cycle. It humanizes the other side of the process a lot.

Hello, incoming M1s!

I just wanted to share the link for the MCW Student Housing Facebook Group. There’s a lot of posts for housing in the class group as is, but the Student Housing Group includes listings from nearby landlords and apartment complexes as they contact MCW directly to have us post on their behalf. Good luck in your search and can’t wait to meet everyone in August!

MCW Student Housing