2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew from the waitlist for MCW-CW as I got into a local MD school. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email about health insurance info on Brightspace due on June 3rd. Still haven't received email address. Am I missing something here?

Just got the email about health insurance info on Brightspace due on June 3rd. Still haven't received email address. Am I missing something here?

It was an error. They sent a follow-up email that you will probably get any minute!

When should expect to receive orientation information?

Are we able/supposed to do anything on Brightspace yet? We keep getting info and logins but it seems like the things we need to complete still aren't released yet.

Yes! Schedule of events and such
We didn’t get a tentative schedule until mid-June. It was emailed to us by Alexis so I would expect you’ll get a schedule soon.

There’s fun events throughout the week but most days start at 8AM with presentations on Financial Aid and all that stuff.

Did anyone else get the sketchy-ish seeming email about lab supplies this morning?

Did anyone else get the sketchy-ish seeming email about lab supplies this morning?

MCW has been having lots of issues with phishing emails in the past few weeks. I emailed IT about it, hopefully they are already working through that problem!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone moving from far away with any advice on the best way to do that? I'm coming from the East coast and moving companies seem pretty expensive lol.

Anyone moving from far away with any advice on the best way to do that? I'm coming from the East coast and moving companies seem pretty expensive lol.
How far of a drive? 7 hours and I'm UHauling it all. I just did a quick UHaul query. Picking up a trailer in Charloette NC (hypothetical) for a trip to Wauwatosa would be ~$200 for a 6'x12' trailer and $125 for a 5'x8' trailer.

How far of a drive? 7 hours and I'm UHauling it all. I just did a quick UHaul query. Picking up a trailer in Charloette NC (hypothetical) for a trip to Wauwatosa would be ~$200 for a 6'x12' trailer and $125 for a 5'x8' trailer.

Haha about 18 hours... :smack: I think I will probably also UHaul it with my dad (except for my distance it's about $700). Ah well, hopefully we can make a fun time out of it. One last road trip!

Today they posted my class schedule. Yay! So... which of these classes are mandatory attendance for M1s? :)

Today they posted my class schedule. Yay! So... which of these classes are mandatory attendance for M1s? :)
Foundations of Clinical Medicine is required. And so are a few Molecules to Cells classes that they make into small group discussions.

Anatomy lab isn’t technically required but you need to work out your schedule with your lab mates. Some groups have half the group come on Mondays and the other half on Wednesdays. I think most of our lab groups came every day bc there’s a decent amount of work to do when you’re dissecting both arms and legs and such. We split time slots when we worked on the head though.

Oh, and for the first month or so, Pathways is required every week until you choose one Pathway in September.

Anyone know if we actually have to buy the anatomy supplies before orientation (gloves, goggles, scalpel blades, netter's)?

Anyone know if we actually have to buy the anatomy supplies before orientation (gloves, goggles, scalpel blades, netter's)?
One of the student orgs at MCW (I think it might be AMSA), sells gloves during orientation week. But I would honestly buy online from Amazon in bulk to get them a bit cheaper. Scalpel blades I would recommend waiting to buy until you work it out with your lab group. They give you enough blades to last the first few weeks so you have time to order from Amazon and split the cost with your lab group and you can do the same for gloves. They do have some extra gloves during the first few lab periods but those go fast.

I got safety glasses from Walmart for $2, though they’re sold in the school store for about the same. Also, you don’t need safety glasses/goggles if you wear glasses already.

Netter’s you don’t need to buy unless you want your own copy. Each lab group gets one to use during dissection. I didn’t buy a single book for M1 year, just FYI. But if you learn better from books, feel free to buy them.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably a dumb question, but do/did people wear masks for lab? And do have to buy the scalpel +blade or just the blade itself and the scalpels are provided?
No, I never saw anyone wearing a mask for lab. Not that you couldn't, but they're not provided and not really necessary.

You don't have to buy the scalpel. Just the blades.

One of the student orgs at MCW (I think it might be AMSA), sells gloves during orientation week. But I would honestly buy online from Amazon in bulk to get them a bit cheaper. Scalpel blades I would recommend waiting to buy until you work it out with your lab group. They give you enough blades to last the first few weeks so you have time to order from Amazon and split the cost with your lab group and you can do the same for gloves. They do have some extra gloves during the first few lab periods but those go fast.

I got safety glasses from Walmart for $2, though they’re sold in the school store for about the same. Also, you don’t need safety glasses/goggles if you wear glasses already.

Netter’s you don’t need to buy unless you want your own copy. Each lab group gets one to use during dissection. I didn’t buy a single book for M1 year, just FYI. But if you learn better from books, feel free to buy them.
Are these just regular exam gloves like at a hospital or clinic? Or something else?

Are these just regular exam gloves like at a hospital or clinic? Or something else?
They’re nitrile gloves. Though latex would work too, if you’re not allergic.

And we double glove so keep that in mind. I mean, you don’t have to double glove, but then your hands will smell like formaldehyde all day. I made that mistake once.

Is it just me, or is the required textbooks table not organized like the instructions say it is?

@RheumyArthritic We don't technically have to get the required textbooks?

@RheumyArthritic Also, do you know if we have to schedule an appointment with Financial Aid to discuss loans and whatnot? I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether we need to schedule it in advance

Is it just me, or is the required textbooks table not organized like the instructions say it is?

@RheumyArthritic We don't technically have to get the required textbooks?

I don’t learn best from reading textbooks so I didn’t buy the “required” ones, but you do NOT need to buy any textbook for the entire M1 year. Everything you need to know is in the slides provided by the professor. One of the professors for Immunology second semester will stress that you need the book, but I assure you, you do not. I only knew one classmate who bought the books and that’s because he learned best from textbooks. You get the PowerPoints AND what they call Handouts, which will go into more detail than the PowerPoints if you’re interested in the topic or really concerned about the professor stressing the textbook.

@RheumyArthritic Also, do you know if we have to schedule an appointment with Financial Aid to discuss loans and whatnot? I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether we need to schedule it in advance

We definitely had to schedule a meeting in advance. I believe it was in an email with a link to schedule a session. You could probably get fit in if you don’t schedule one but I scheduled mine ahead of time and was still 3 weeks into class. They waive the tuition deadline, but it was still stressful waiting for my appointment. So I would schedule ASAP.

Does anyone know if we actually need to watch all of the online recorded lectures in the orientation Brightspace "Practice using what you have just learned" topic? Or is that more just for your own practice?

For those waitlisted without other acceptances, are you guys reapplying this cycle or waiting for the next?

Sadly this was my last hope for medical school (ive applied before and was on the waitlist). So taking a whole different career path and going the nurse-midwife route starting in September.

Good luck to everyone in the next cycle!
For those waitlisted without other acceptances, are you guys reapplying this cycle or waiting for the next?