Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Moderator Rocket Scientist 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

#1 Lucca, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
    Pre-Med Junkie likes this.
  2. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Any current students willing to talk about the MD/MPH program? I am interested in the health informatics option. I am curious to know what kind of candidate they are looking for, and if my work experience as a healthcare consultant would be looked upon favorably. Also took a course at the school of public health as an undergraduate...I am a GA resident. Thanks!

3. Dannyboy2019

Anybody applied edp? If so would you mind updating your status on here

bdoc13 likes this.
  4. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am waiting to get my MCAT score next week and then likely applying EDP!

Dannyboy2019 likes this.
  5. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    I'm applying for their Rural Community Health Program. It feels good to finally be in a position to post in these threads!

microbio88, uniquelyme and bdoc13 like this.
  6. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when secondaries are normally sent to EDP applicants? I was verified yesterday and I'm wondering if I should be expecting one today or like in a few weeks

7. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do early decision students get their secondaries early as well? I assumed EDP still had to wait until AMCAS sent primaries to schools which is ~June 29th this year.

8. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had read somewhere that AMCAS sends basic information such as name and contact to schools before primaries are sent. If this is true then it is possible that schools that don’t screen before sending secondaries could send theirs early. I have no idea if this information is correct though.

9. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm pretty sure MCG screens EDP with their 3.7 GPA and 509 MCAT cutoffs. I could be wrong, though.

Edit: After looking at their FAQ, they send secondaries to everyone. They don't receive our applications until AMCAS releases them.

#9 Hirro, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  10. Dannyboy2019

Has anyone been able to figure out if they screen for interviews for edp or if every edp applicant is given an interview

11. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There may be some form of screening process, but I don’t see it being an incredibly stringent one beyond having the 3.7 and 509. That’s just my thoughts, I haven’t heard anything for sure.

12. BlueIndian88

Does anyone have any insight on the Casper test? I'm applying EDP as well and have it scheduled for July 8

13. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Take the practice test. Have a moral compass and know how to handle situations that commonly occur in a workplace. Be ready to type fast. I didn't study and I know it wouldn't have helped me if I had.

Endocytosis0 and BlueIndian88 like this.
  14. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone heard much about how people in the past have done with applying through EDP? I've been searching through previous years' threads and can't seem to find much. Tons of people I have talked to say early decision is a bad idea in general but I would like to know about MCG specifically.

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  15. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    I took the Casper exam on June 21, and I know it takes about three weeks for it to be graded and sent to your schools. Will I not receive a secondary until the school gets the Casper score?

16. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    Received a secondary application email today. Here are the short response questions. They are the same as last year.

1. Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future? (400 Words)

2. Please list any additional clinical experiences that are not included on your AMCAS application. Please include the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e., Nursing, PA, EMT, E.R. Scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates and total number of hours. If no additional experiences have occurred, please select "N/A."

3. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (400 Words)

4. Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response. (400 Words)

5. Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc. (400 Words)

6. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application. (400 Words)

MedLife24, uniquelyme, tfudge and 3 others like this.
  17. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    Would prompt #6 be a place to write an adversity essay, or would #3 be better suited for that?

18. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On the fifth tab under address and employment information, why will it not let me add a date after 8/1/2018 for the end date? It would make sense if it were 8/1/2019 because that's when we plan to start school.

19. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    Prompt 6 is more for any experiences that occurred after you submitted your primary. An adversity essay would better fit #3.

20. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I think messaging the admissions office would be the best plan. It should be 8/1/2019.

21. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    I messaged the admissions office and the the date has been fixed to the correct year.

22. FigmundSreud

Pre-Medical
    Applied regular... no secondary even now. Verified 6/29

23. DJay4534533

same :(

discocafe likes this.
  24. DJay4534533

UGH. I completely forgot about the Casper Test. Do they not send out the secondary until they have the score? DAMMIT. I could kick myself right now.

FigmundSreud likes this.
  25. DJay4534533

I just talked to the admissions office because I’m taking the test later (and I was freaking out because I forgot about it) and she said you don’t have to have it completed to get the secondary. They’re just sending the applications out in waves.

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  26. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    I really should have come back with an update on that. I took the test on 6/20 and got my secondary on 7/5. Thanks for staying on top of that!

discocafe likes this.
  27. discocafe

Pre-Medical
    Same here, anxiously waiting!! :sorry: In state, regular decision, verified way back

28. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +2

We'll be fine. It definitely wasn't a first-come, first-serve basis for the secondaries but we'll get them!

Endocytosis0 and discocafe like this.
  29. DawgsDodgers24

Pre-Medical
    Hello, EDP here (regular reapplicant from last year). I got the secondary on 7/5 and was wondering for others who have seen it or have started working on the essays already what your thoughts are regarding the inconsistencies essay? If my MCAT is right at the average for the school and GPA above average with no real unusual grade trends in undergrad, any advice on how to address the prompt? It is not optional.

Also, last cycle I submitted my primary 6/5 and didn't receive a secondary until the end of July. I do not think it is first come first serve for those who are nervously waiting!

Endocytosis0, bdoc13 and discocafe like this.
  30. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For the sake of not just making something up, I would put "My academic record has been consistent during my undergraduate career" or something along those lines. "N/A" is also a completely reasonable response.

31. raybox12

Pre-Medical
    What are they really looking for in asking: Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response. (400 words)

32. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think they want to know where you want to practice medicine

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  33. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    My impression on these kind of prompts is mainly focused on significant deficiencies in your academics like if in one class you got a C when you usually get A's or B's. For the MCAT, any score lower than a 125 is below average and can be cited as a source of inconsistency.

34. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    Ugh, I can't think of anything to put for prompt #6. I feel like my primary was detailed enough.

35. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    Prompt #6 is completely optional. Don't try to stretch too much for this section otherwise the response may not sound genuine.

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  36. thedeviant105

Pre-Medical
    Finally submitted my secondary today (July 11th). For those who got their secondary on the July 5th and applied EDP, the secondary needs to be completed by tomorrow. If regular and on July 5th, then July 19th.

If you have yet to receive a secondary, MCG requests that you complete the secondary by one week if you are EDP or two weeks if you are Regular Decision. So start pre-writing the responses if you have not already and have people look over those responses as well.

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  37. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think prompt 6 is fine to leave blank if you don’t have anything to say

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  38. Endocytosis0

Pre-Medical
    Just submitted my secondary (7/11)! Now it's just a waiting game, I guess.

39. bdoc13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I submitted mine this morning as well!

Endocytosis0 likes this.
  40. utah34

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good luck to everyone applying! I'm starting in the Athens campus in the next few weeks. I'll try to come on here often to help anybody if they have questions.

Hirro, Endocytosis0 and bdoc13 like this.
  41. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received. Not as soon as I expected since I submitted early but I’m glad it’s here before II’s began!

42. discocafe

Pre-Medical
    +1 :)

43. broccolicoli

Secondary received today! In-state applicant.
    Any other lifelong GA residents know what info we should fill out and what to click on N/A box for under the GA residency page? I checked it for Q.1-3 but not sure when/if its appropriate to check that box for any of the other questions.

44. MedLife24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I applied in 2016 but did not receive an interview. I took a break to work on my MCAT score (big improvement) and just submitted my app for this cycle. Do you think I should use my same responses from the previous application or rewrite my essays?

45. broccolicoli

I think I have read from adcoms that you should write new essays. I've heard of them comparing your previous application, and if nothing has changed they don't think you've grown as an applicant.

MedLife24 likes this.
  46. MedLife24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!

47. tfudge

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received this morning!

Endocytosis0 and discocafe like this.
  48. DJay4534533

Am I the only one who find this question unclear?

If you are a non-Georgia resident, do you have any ties to the state of Georgia?

It's a yes or no question, but I feel like if I say no, it's going to seem like I don't have ties to the state of Georgia? However, I am from GA. I'm tempted to pick yes & just clarify that I AM from GA and I have ties to the state..?

discocafe likes this.
  49. broccolicoli

agree. I also feel like the option to check off "n/a" for ALL of the questions under the Georgia Residency tab is unclear...

50. DawgsDodgers24

Pre-Medical
    Did you pick the Athens campus and if so why? I went to UGA and love Athens and cannot decide which campus I would like if I hopefully get that opportunity. I know some of the major differences already but I would like to hear what you think!