2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought new traffic rules meant that they couldn't see who had and hadn't been accepted, and that they only knew when someone they extended acceptance to declined it?

Also, to everyone worrying about whether or not they're done accepting people from dates before January 14th, the first person who posted they had gotten in on 2/8 hadn't heard anything for 4 months. It ain't over till it's over!

From what I was told, they can see where we have been accepted on a certain date (I don’t remember exactly what date but they said amcas will release the information to the schools that have already accepted us)

Members don't see this ad.

So just to let everyone know, if you try to send an LOI, the deadline has passed for that. At least that's what they told me when I sent mine earlier this week. Hope that everyone is having an okay Valentine's Day! I'll be crying in bed again haha

Reactions: 3 users
So just to let everyone know, if you try to send an LOI, the deadline has passed for that.
I had no idea LOI's had deadlines. Did they specify the deadline for updates passed? I remember reading that additional documents (such as updates on an application) could also be submitted up until December 1st.

I'm just confused since most schools prefer LOI's at the end of a rather than early into the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
So just to let everyone know, if you try to send an LOI, the deadline has passed for that. At least that's what they told me when I sent mine earlier this week. Hope that everyone is having an okay Valentine's Day! I'll be crying in bed again haha

I baked a pie... because my only love is food at the moment ahahaha

Reactions: 1 users
one of the people from the admission office called me and told me to go ahead and make a campus decision within the week because they were going to start assigning
Do whatever admissions told you

From what I was told, they can see where we have been accepted on a certain date (I don’t remember exactly what date but they said amcas will release the information to the schools that have already accepted us)
I think this is a old thing that AMCAS stopped doing this year, but I could be wrong

From what I understand, AMCAS no longer releases applicant specific information to medical schools. In the past, at a certain date, they would release to the school where each applicant stood at other schools (whether they had been accepted/denied/waitlisted), allowing medical schools to "play the odds" (if you will) on whether or not any given student would choose their school. This allowed them to predict where each student would go, thus allowing them to send out more acceptances to more students sooner.

With the new traffic rules, AMCAS releases information only in aggregate to the school regarding their own school. They will now only see the students they have accepted, and whether or not they have used the "Plan to Attend/Commit to Attend" tool on AMCAS. They will no longer be able to see whether you have been accepted/denied/waitlisted at other schools. They only see where you stand on their school.

From what I understand, this has caused schools to be more cautious in sending out acceptances, as they can no longer see where else the student has been accepted and calculate their odds of "landing" that student. This may supposedly lead to less acceptances, and bigger waitlists with more people coming off the waitlist, so that schools don't "over-accept," if you will.

If any one else understands this is more detail, please feel free to correct me haha

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted. Got the email at about 8:30 this morning. Congratulations to everyone accepted and best of luck to those still in the running!

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted. Got the email at about 8:30 this morning. Congratulations to everyone accepted and best of luck to those still in the running!
Sorry to hear that. When did you interview?

Has anyone been rejected by MCG yet? (those that have interviewed)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any fellow out-of-staters waiting too? Are decisions typically released later for out of state apps

Yes. Interviewed in October and rejected on Monday. It’s a couple of posts above yours
oh yes, ok I see. I'm just interested in understanding what it means for those of us that have interviewed way back when and have not bee accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.. hm

Sooo...have any acceptance gone out today at all then?

Reactions: 4 users
lol how cruel to send a non acceptance email the same day and time they usually send acceptances

Waitlisted. Just got the email at about 2:30. Interviewed 11/8. Really hoping to make it off the waitlist! Goodluck to everyone else in the running!

Waitlisted about a minute ago (2:36). Interviewed in November.

Also waitlisted, Interviewed early January

Waitlisted...interview in January. All we do is fill out the form on the portal right and just wait?

Waitlisted...interview in January. All we do is fill out the form on the portal right and just wait?

Yes, I shall join you in continuing our waiting game, also the letter says all acceptances have been sent out as an FYI for those yet to receive any information.

Waitlisted also. Do you guys know when we should expect some movement with this thing? I have a friend who was accepted from the waitlist last July, and I definitely don’t want to wait that long. I know that isn’t the norm.

Waitlisted. :(
If anyone finds out when the accepted students are required to make decisions on whether they will enroll is please let us know.

Waitlisted too. Interviewed in January. Here are some deadlines from MCG’s website. It seems to me like the end of April is when the waitlist may start moving.
IMG_4907.JPG

Here's a good site i just found that explains the new traffic rules well:
Every Question You Have About the New 2019 Medical School Traffic Rules

looks like people will have to narrow down their accepted school list to 3 by april 15 but schools won't know if someone is commited to a particular school til April 30. So my guess is there won't be much movement til then.

Hopefully people will be kind and withdraw their application if they intend to attend another school.

So when we accept to be placed on the alternate list, they mention for us to comply with some instructions, what are they referring to and does that mean we will also get a letter in the mail?

So when we accept to be placed on the alternate list, they mention for us to comply with some instructions, what are they referring to and does that mean we will also get a letter in the mail?

They want you to login into the portal and give a decision whether you want to be on the waitlist or not. Plus, specify your campus preference if you have not done so already.

Thanks, I just want to make sure I did everything I need to...its so stressful

So is putting my name on this alternate list binding? Like if I get off the waitlist I have to go to this school even if I eventually get accepted at another school?

So is putting my name on this alternate list binding? Like if I get off the waitlist I have to go to this school even if I eventually get accepted at another school?

Oh no. It just means that you accept your position on the waitlist. If you are accepted off the waitlist, you'll still be able to decline to offer.

Oh no. It just means that you accept your position on the waitlist. If you are accepted off the waitlist, you'll still be able to decline to offer.

But it says "I also understand that I cannot defer from the alternate list and that I must be will to attend either Augusta campus or the Medical Partnership Campus." I'm confused :/

But it says "I also understand that I cannot defer from the alternate list and that I must be will to attend either Augusta campus or the Medical Partnership Campus." I'm confused :/

That is talking about being able to defer your matriculation for a year, it is saying you must attend with the class of 2019, if you choose to attend this school.

Reactions: 1 users
That is talking about being able to defer your matriculation for a year, it is saying you must attend with the class of 2019, if you choose to attend this school.

You're totally right. That was stupid of me. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

You can not defer, meaning you can be accepted off the waitlist and request to matriculate in 2020 rather than 2019. It also means that they will assign you to a campus with an acceptance off the waitlist and you get what you get haha.

Edit: Can not*

You can not defer, meaning you can be accepted off the waitlist and request to matriculate in 2020 rather than 2019. It also means that they will assign you to a campus with an acceptance off the waitlist and you get what you get haha.

Thank you for helping me out with that!

Is this normal? MCG’s waitlist seems much bigger this year. This is a friendly reminder that there is no safety school - even your own state school. I bet some of you got 1 acceptance elsewhere but a waitlist here

Is this normal? MCG’s waitlist seems much bigger this year. This is a friendly reminder that there is no safety school - even your own state school. I bet some of you got 1 acceptance elsewhere but a waitlist here

That’s what I was wondering too. Do you think it’s because the changes in AMCAS? Like how schools don’t know where people have been accepted

Waitlisted too today guys! I know it's not the news we were all hoping for, but just remember it's still better than a rejection. We just gotta be patient and hope for the best! I know this is a stupid question, but being on the waitlist means we are basically in as long as there's a spot for us? Like they are not going to review our apps again and potentially reject us? haha

Waitlisted too today guys! I know it's not the news we were all hoping for, but just remember it's still better than a rejection. We just gotta be patient and hope for the best! I know this is a stupid question, but being on the waitlist means we are basically in as long as there's a spot for us? Like they are not going to review our apps again and potentially reject us? haha
itll be an implicit rejection; they just won't select you off of the waitlist I don't think they let you know at that point

Waitlisted as well. Interviewed mid-December. Guess we will see how this goes! Good luck everyone.

itll be an implicit rejection; they just won't select you off of the waitlist I don't think they let you know at that point
I have also been waitlisted....again....so I can tell you that they do send you an email rejecting you if you don't get off the waitlist. Mine came at the very end of July. So. Buckle up.