2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm thinking so. I think historically there is usually much more movement at this point in time. Not just at MCG but everywhere.

What do y’all think it means? I mean like should we be hopeful or be weighing our options? I just don’t want to waste my time doing one thing to find out I should have been doing the other the whole time.

Members don't see this ad.

What do y’all think it means? I mean like should we be hopeful or be weighing our options? I just don’t want to waste my time doing one thing to find out I should have been doing the other the whole time.
If you have options, I would weigh them. Everyone's situations are different but I think it's best to be prepared and have a plan B.

Got accepted off of the waitlist this morning! (ironically right when SDN went down.) So EXCITED!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys I am officially done with MCG. I just withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back! It was really fun messaging back and forth with all of you on this thread. Maybe someday we will run into each other as resident or attending physicians ;):)

Reactions: 7 users
Any Athens bound students received Athens specific information?

I recently got in touch with one of the very friendly Deans in Athens. They're waiting for the class in Athens to reach a critical size before sending more info, but I did find out that orientation will be July 29-Aug 2 in Athens. The orientation info sent out thus far applies only to Augusta students.

I recently got in touch with one of the very friendly Deans in Athens. They're waiting for the class in Athens to reach a critical size before sending more info, but I did find out that orientation will be July 29-Aug 2 in Athens. The orientation info sent out thus far applies only to Augusta students.
Thank you! I've been refreshing my e-mail eagerly waiting for some Athens specific information. Hope they send it out soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea when more waitlist movement will occur? Since not many SDNers have posted about being accepted from the waitlist, I’m assuming waitlist movement will come in the future... But anybody have an educated guess when?

Any idea when more waitlist movement will occur? Since not many SDNers have posted about being accepted from the waitlist, I’m assuming waitlist movement will come in the future... But anybody have an educated guess when?

My guess this Friday 24th, the other last date is the 31st, after that June 1, a new cycle opens. I could be off with the new cycle date!

My guess this Friday 24th, the other last date is the 31st, after that June 1, a new cycle opens. I could be off with the new cycle date!

So y’all think they’re possibly gonna release more decisions? You don’t think it’s because the class is already full and they’re waiting for more spots to open up? I’m just nervous about how late in the game this is all happening

Members don't see this ad :)
So y’all think they’re possibly gonna release more decisions? You don’t think it’s because the class is already full and they’re waiting for more spots to open up? I’m just nervous about how late in the game this is all happening
Last year there were many more SDN reported acceptances from the waitlist (I think more than 12) whereas this year there have only been 2. I realize not all premeds post on SDN, but the variability from year to year shouldn’t change that drastically. I doubt they accepted more in their original batch of acceptances, But rather the new traffic rules have thrown off the timing of the typical cycle for them. I think movement will be coming, I’m just not sure when.

A few things are new in this cycle:
1) New traffic rules
2) MCG’s first cycle doing MMIs
3) MCG finished their interview cycle a full month (maybe as much as 6 weeks) earlier than usual

At this point, I would assume that the class is full and move on with Plan B’s. If more movement happens, awesome.

Last year , we had more people reported accepted from wait list during this time period, I do expect more to come, that is a guess on my part, as above saying always have plan B ready. Good Luck to All

A lot of the chatter on the huge waitlist thread is that the traffic rules have (theoretically) pushed peak waitlist movement activity from May back into June/early July. MCG's website states that after June 1st, all accepted students must withdraw from other programs within 48 hours. Their CTE deadline is July 8th.

Would definitely have a plan B ready, and not necessarily get hopes too high, but I don't think it's over just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in off of the waitlist this morning about 7:30 AM by email. I haven't posted before, but have been reading this thread throughout the process and want to thank y'all for all of the information and support you have provided me during this time! Here's hoping y'all are next!

I had a friend who got in a few years ago on July 5 before the rules change, so although I would definitely do a plan B (I had already started mine!), I don't think you should lose hope yet.

Also, I feel as I should add that MCG was the only interview I had.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone, so I called admissions the other day and inquired about any future movement and the woman on the phone made it clear they aren't sure if anymore is coming and that we should assume "the class is already full." I'm not sure what anyone else has heard but I figured I would share that insight if it's of any help to anyone or not.

Reactions: 7 users
Guys guys! Don't freak out just yet!
Last year I got off the waitlist on July 5 by phone call! There is still a chance!

P.S. You will LOVE MCG!

Reactions: 5 users
What's commit date? Lol sorry i'm a n00b.

I just know they gave me 2 or 3 days to decide after they accepted me. Can't remember. Obviously I accepted the offer right then and there.

Hey guys! Does anyone know when the background checks have to be completed by? I've been waiting since April 8th for mine to come back... :(
Also, I have worked as a medical assistance/scribe in the Newnan/Peachtree City area for the past year and have had a great experience. If anyone is interested in this job, PM me!

What's commit date? Lol sorry i'm a n00b.

I just know they gave me 2 or 3 days to decide after they accepted me. Can't remember. Obviously I accepted the offer right then and there.
I think it’s the date that you can only hold one acceptance. It’s different rules this year compared to when we applied.

Also, I have worked as a medical assistance/scribe in the Newnan/Peachtree City area for the past year and have had a great experience. If anyone is interested in this job, PM me!

I know mrj2017 very well and wish the absolute best for med school at MCG!

That job is a good opportunity to boost a resume, but there is no way they could just "replace" you!

I’m pretty sure the commit date this year is July 8th from what I’ve heard, but I would take that with a grain of salt because I have no idea where I heard that from lol
Yes, you have to change from 'plan to enroll' to 'commit to enroll' by July 8th this year.

Been pretty silent for awhile. Has anyone gotten off the waitlist lately?

Has anyone on else on the alternate list received a rejection letter today?

I received it via email. I assumed that the alternate list would be active through July but it seems the decision was made for my app regardless.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone call/email admissions recently about the prospect of upcoming WL movement?

Alternate List people: My account changed today to have a transcript status section on my application under letter of recommendation status and communication. Did that happen to everyone else on the alternate list?

Alternate List people: My account changed today to have a transcript status section on my application under letter of recommendation status and communication. Did that happen to everyone else on the alternate list?
i just checked and the same thing appeared for me.

Same thing appeared for me but it looks like this is standard practice this late in the game? Like I guess most of the alternates are expected to graduate end of June at the latest.

Same thing appeared for me but it looks like this is standard practice this late in the game? Like I guess most of the alternates are expected to graduate end of June at the latest.
Ah ok makes sense!

Surprised at lack of reported WL movement on sdn...does anyone personally know someone that has been accepted of the WL?

Ah ok makes sense!

Surprised at lack of reported WL movement on sdn...does anyone personally know someone that has been accepted of the WL?
All I know is the freshman orientation is August 1, so if you don’t hear back by then, assume it’s over.

All I know is the freshman orientation is August 1, so if you don’t hear back by then, assume it’s over.
Isn't it pretty atypical to have so little waitlist movement? Like what can change so dramatically from one year to the next?

Isn't it pretty atypical to have so little waitlist movement? Like what can change so dramatically from one year to the next?
They changed a few things last year:
-first year doing MMI
-interviews concluded 2 months earlier than usual
-*I think* they were able to interview more students than in the past using the MMI approach

They changed a few things last year:
-first year doing MMI
-interviews concluded 2 months earlier than usual
-*I think* they were able to interview more students than in the past using the MMI approach
This makes sense but their waitlist would probably be dependent on yield right? Idk how yield is influenced by the number of interviews. Maybe it's because of the deadline changes this year idk for sure

This makes sense but their waitlist would probably be dependent on yield right? Idk how yield is influenced by the number of interviews. Maybe it's because of the deadline changes this year idk for sure
I just heard through the grapevine that the MMIs allowed them to select students most likely to go to MCG more accurately than with the traditional interview style. Idk how much truth there is to that. SDN traditionally hasn’t been very reflective of WL movement.

I just heard through the grapevine that the MMIs allowed them to select students most likely to go to MCG more accurately than with the traditional interview style. Idk how much truth there is to that. SDN traditionally hasn’t been very reflective of WL movement.
Ah ok that's fair tbh

Well tmw is CTE and if it doesn't move then it probably never will so good luck to all others on the waitlist and let's hope we can get in

Reactions: 5 users
Well tmw is CTE and if it doesn't move then it probably never will so good luck to all others on the waitlist and let's hope we can get in
Recently withdrew from the waitlist due to the CTE process. I'm sure other waitlisted applicants have been doing the same so the waitlist should be getting smaller for everyone remaining. Good luck!

I'll call them today
They said the class is full and there may be an off chance that someone who has committed to enrol chooses not to attend; in this case, a spot opens up.

However, I think this is unlikely. Oh well I guess it's time to start my reapplication