2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you pick the Athens campus and if so why? I went to UGA and love Athens and cannot decide which campus I would like if I hopefully get that opportunity. I know some of the major differences already but I would like to hear what you think!
There were a few factors, the biggest one being that my wife is in grad school here in Athens so I did not want to leave the city and be separated from her. Secondly, I also went to UGA and as you know this school is huge. I wanted to have a smaller class feel in med school and obviously the Athens campus is so much smaller than the Augusta campus, and their curriculum revolves around small group and discussion. I did okay with big lectures at UGA but did really well when I was able to talk through material and not just sit down and memorize it. Hope this helps! Definitely do a campus tour in Athens before your interview if you are unsure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So....I'm guessing they're expecting you to write SOMETHING for the academic inconsistencies prompt? I'm just kinda confused as to what they consider to be an inconsistency, because I'm worried I may bring their attention to something they may not even care about....also, isn't kinda hard to write that section without sounding like you're just making a bunch of excuses for yourself? lol

So the last two prompts were previously one prompt last year that was optional, so I get the impression that this prompt is optional if you feel there are not any significant inconsistencies. However, the prompt is focusing on situations where in one semester you suffered a below average GPA (Rather than the typical 3.0+, you got a 2.0). Or for the MCAT, if you scored a 510 at first, then on a second attempt, you scored a 507. You may want to explain why that occurred and what you learned.

Last edited:
Anyone else's portal not showing LORs as received? I checked under Status -> Document Status. Nothing is there.

Same thing for me. I think they are just being slow at the moment. They will probably update it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else's portal not showing LORs as received? I checked under Status -> Document Status. Nothing is there.
I'm having the same problem, but I'm sure it'll load sometime. We're still pretty early in the cycle.

I'm having the same problem, but I'm sure it'll load sometime. We're still pretty early in the cycle.
I emailed the admissions office yesterday, and they said that they have my letters. Apparently the system is just being slow to update.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we have to submit the Georgia residency documentation (tax forms) BEFORE an interview invitation or within two weeks POST interview? Their e-mails say before whereas the official website says after.

Does anyone know if we have to submit the Georgia residency documentation (tax forms) BEFORE an interview invitation or within two weeks POST interview? Their e-mails say before whereas the official website says after.
I'm pretty sure it's after. I spoke with them on the phone and the context/tone hinted that the documents did not matter for II purposes.

Their admissions office was very helpful and friendly so I'm sure they won't mind if you send an email for clarification.

For question 5, do I need to discuss my GPA if it is 3.48? I never received any grade lower than B-...

For question 5, do I need to discuss my GPA if it is 3.48? I never received any grade lower than B-...

I think that is up to you. Does your grades trend upward? If not, you can talk about your semester performance was inconsistent. In addition, you could compose a response explaining how certain college experiences caused your GPA to be lower than the average GPA for MCG (3.7 to 3.8), and then explain what you have learned from those experiences. Explaining that can certainly could help paint the 3.48 in a more positive light.

Last edited:
two weeks post interview! I called and confirmed!

How are you guys approaching the fourth prompt? Do I just say in detail where I want to practice, and what I would like to specialize in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any OOS applicants received the secondary yet? I have friends that had their application completely done and verified, like mine, by June 29th and I just want to see if their doing In-State than out-of-state applicants or what!

Any tips on addressing a low CARS score in that supplemental question asking about inconsistencies? My other sections are fine, but CARS is... not fine. I know, there are tons of posts where people ask whether or not they should bring this up on supplementals, but I still don't know what the best choice is. Thanks in advance for your input!

Don't want to pry into your business but it depends on how not fine it is. General advice I have heard is if all your sub sections are 125 or greater there is no need to address it.

123 in CARS, 127+ in the others

I don't think you need to say what you want to specialize in seeing as its not part of the question they asked. I just said where I want to practice with the city, county, and state, sort of like they asked us to in the prompt.
Ok! Thanks!

This secondary... lol.

“Explain your motivations for going into medicine.” So basically, rewrite your personal statement in 400 words? Lol, like what else can I say here that I didn’t say in my Personal Statement?

Edit: I see this was addressed earlier in the thread. I was pretty clear in my personal statement and I gave a lot of context for my motivations. I feel like mine is just going to be my personal statement rewritten....

Reactions: 4 users
This secondary... lol.

“Explain your motivations for going into medicine.” So basically, rewrite your personal statement in 400 words? Lol, like what else can I say here that I didn’t say in my Personal Statement?

Edit: I see this was addressed earlier in the thread. I was pretty clear in my personal statement and I gave a lot of context for my motivations. I feel like mine is just going to be my personal statement rewritten....

Same here. I thought the whole point of the personal statement was to address why you're motivated to study medicine. I just tried to neatly summarize it on my secondary.

Any IIs yet? I’m starting to get very worried. They’ve got to be sending them this week at least for EDP applicants

Looking at last year, the first EDP poster who got an II was on August 11th.

For those of you that received a secondary, how long after you submitted your primary did you receive it? Last year when I applied, my secondary came the day after I submitted my primary. This year, I have not received a secondary yet and will probably be verified tomorrow. I just want to make sure I did not somehow get lost under thousands of apps. Any of your experiences will be valuable! Thanks!

For those of you that received a secondary, how long after you submitted your primary did you receive it? Last year when I applied, my secondary came the day after I submitted my primary. This year, I have not received a secondary yet and will probably be verified tomorrow. I just want to make sure I did not somehow get lost under thousands of apps. Any of your experiences will be valuable! Thanks!
After I submitted my primary? Bro, I got it like a full 3 weeks after they received my primary, LOR, and CASPer combined. You're going to be fine.

@bdoc13, stay strong, my dude.

I submitted my primary on June 1st and got the secondary on July 5th. Last year, I submitted on June 30th, and got a secondary on the July 5th.

I think they will send IIs in early August for late August, hoping best for everyone. !! I still don't see any documents under my documents tab in Secondary, assuming I am not the only one, I will wait before I give them a call next week.

Current M1 here. I applied twice to MCG and was interviewed both cycles (1st was waitlist, 2nd cycle accepted). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Any OOS receive secondaries? This is getting really frustrating...primary was verified first week of June

Did you guys put projected hours for your additional clinical activities? Or just completed hours

I'm guessing there still haven't been any II's sent out yet? I know last year's went out around the second week of August, but the wait is killing me!

I'm guessing there still haven't been any II's sent out yet? I know last year's went out around the second week of August, but the wait is killing me!
deadline for EDP end August 1st so my guess will be 1st-2nd week of August!! Wondering how many people applied for Rural Health.

I'm applying for the rural tract, and I think micro is too. I hope I get to see some of y'all during an interview - that'd be kinda cool.

Hello, I am new here! I wanted to know how lengthy your secondary responses were. More specifically for the "diversity" and "motivation to become a physician" prompts. I know the word limit is 400; how close did you all get to approaching it? I'm just not sure if they are looking for really concise, straight to the point answers or if they are looking for a little more.

I'm applying for RD. While I'd love to go EDP for here, my stats don't meet their minimums for the EDP program. It would be cool to meet you guys during the interview cycle for sure.

I'm applying for RD. While I'd love to go EDP for here, my stats don't meet their minimums for the EDP program. It would be cool to meet you guys during the interview cycle for sure.

What are they? I heard they might be more lenient if only your MCAT meets the requirement than the other way around.

What are they? I heard they might be more lenient if only your MCAT meets the requirement than the other way around.
cGPA >= 3.7
MCAT >= 5̶0̶7̶. 509

I never knew they were lenient about the GPA cutoff. I am well above for MCAT but my cGPA is lower. It's all good, though. While MCG is my top choice by far, I don't want to rely on solely leniency for an entire year's cycle. I'd rather go RD and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Hello, I am new here! I wanted to know how lengthy your secondary responses were. More specifically for the "diversity" and "motivation to become a physician" prompts. I know the word limit is 400; how close did you all get to approaching it? I'm just not sure if they are looking for really concise, straight to the point answers or if they are looking for a little more.

I will go with the advice one of my response editors told me. The length of your response will be as long as you need it to be. Think about crafting a strong message first then tinker with the length.

I did regular EDP. Maybe we could all say how we applied, I think that would be interesting conversation while we wait lol

Regular EDP here as well.. hopefully we will be hearing back about interviews here soon

Just wanted some input here.
Goofed pretty hard on the MCAT and got a 507
cgpa: upper 3.8’s
Sgpa: upper 3.7’s
Very subpar extracurriculars (no research, not a whole lot of volunteering, couple other things)
Two really strong recs from MCG alum

Is it worth applying or should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle

Very subpar extracurriculars (no research, not a whole lot of volunteering, couple other things)

If you're in state, I don't see why you shouldn't apply. There isn't a fee for the secondary, so you really don't have anything to lose aside from the time you spend filling it out. You never know what they may see in you so I say do it.

Absolutely if you’re already applying this cycle. You’re right at the averages for the program GPA-wise and within 25th percentiles of the MCAT.

I personally think you should retake and apply next cycle
unpopular decision I suppose but I agree with @bdoc13 .

If you actually "goofed pretty hard" on the MCAT I would take the year off and study for it for real. I would also take the time to improve your extracurriculars.

I only say this because I applied two years ago to MCG with a 3.9 and 508 and did not even receive an II. My extracurriculars were mediocre, however, and I was weak on research and volunteering. Just my two cents! Totally up to you though and your career goals.

unpopular decision I suppose but I agree with @bdoc13 .

If you actually "goofed pretty hard" on the MCAT I would take the year off and study for it for real. I would also take the time to improve your extracurriculars.

I only say this because I applied two years ago to MCG with a 3.9 and 508 and did not even receive an II. My extracurriculars were mediocre, however, and I was weak on research and volunteering. Just my two cents! Totally up to you though and your career goals.
Did you apply regular or early..I think you well met the criteria of that time. Are you still premedical..?

Did you apply regular or early..I think you well met the criteria of that time. Are you still premedical..?
I applied for regular admission.

And yep! Took two years off to explore basic research and am actually now applying MD/PhD this cycle!

Also re-took the MCAT

Dude go ahead and apply. I had 3.59 GPA with 510 MCAT after retaking 505, and I just started my first year here.

I applied for regular admission.

And yep! Took two years off to explore basic research and am actually now applying MD/PhD this cycle!

Also re-took the MCAT
MD/PhD is very interesting path..wish I could do it. Good luck!!

Dude go ahead and apply. I had 3.59 GPA with 510 MCAT after retaking 505, and I just started my first year here.
I agree. I will just apply and let admission committee make the decision..you don't know what they are looking for.!

Has anyone gotten a "complete" email. Submitted my secondary about 10 days ago and was just wondering. Also, noticed my letters aren't showing up in the MCG portal, even though I sent them through AMCAS a few weeks ago.