2018-2019 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 !

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to upload my picture but it still allowed me to submit, what should I do?

Is there a time limit for the recorded interview/ how long are most people's recordings?

I know they draw information from the last application that was submitted. However, how long are you guys working on the application? I am rewriting my responses from last year, and that video alone is going to take me about a day. I typed out the response, and I am going to practice it so it seems more natural before I submit. I may submit by Mon.

I know they draw information from the last application that was submitted. However, how long are you guys working on the application? I am rewriting my responses from last year, and that video alone is going to take me about a day. I typed out the response, and I am going to practice it so it seems more natural before I submit. I may submit by Mon.
How did you do the ranking for the question "
Prioritize (1-9 with one being the highest) the type of medical practice you now contemplate. " I feel like its a trap

How did you do the ranking for the question "
Prioritize (1-9 with one being the highest) the type of medical practice you now contemplate. " I feel like its a trap
I was truly honest, when I finally got a hold of them to ask about this, they were like it truly is just to see what type of direction you may go towards after completing the program. However, I made sure, since I want to serve more underserved populations that I ranked that the highest.

is it worth applying as an Asian kid with lots of experience working with underserved populations?

How did people take "Community respect" for the top three reasons inspiring career in medicine. I can't tell whether they're going for like having respect for community, wanting to work in it etc. or that you want to have the respect of the community (like prestige). The former is a definite yes for me, the latter is not lol. Can't help but feel this is like a weed out question for people that have extrinsic motivators.
yeah I struggled with that a lot too. I think the first two options are pretty obvious, but the third one is tricky...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not verified yet, so I haven't received a secondary, but I do want to pre-write. Besides the video prompt, what other questions do they ask on the secondary?

Not verified yet, so I haven't received a secondary, but I do want to pre-write. Besides the video prompt, what other questions do they ask on the secondary?

1) Why do you wanna attend Meharry

2) A challenge/obstacle you've overcome, what you learned about yourself from it in regards to medicine

I think these were the two if I am remembering correctly.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having issues with the video picking up the actual sound or is that just me?

I received the secondary last Friday. Unfortunately when I click the link it says 400 Bad Request. Anyone else having this issue?

Question: Is this video interview intended to replace the traditional interview??

Question: Is this video interview intended to replace the traditional interview??
Its just a secondary, a couple schools ask you to do a video. This cycle this is my second video secondary.

can someone post the secondary, pls? thanks!

You think 2 minutes is long until you actually practice it and your over by 30 seconds.....:(

Hello! I was wondering if anyone would be able to list the prompts for 2018-2019? Thanks so much!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone would be able to list the prompts for 2018-2019? Thanks so much!
1. Why do you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?
2. Please describe a personal situation of failure, significant challenge or a major obstacle that you have overcome. Include a description of your coping skills and lessons you learned about yourself from that situation.
3. Video Interview: Discuss your knowledge of what it means to "serve the underserved," your passion for medicine and why you want to specifically attend Meharry Medical College.
@Lucca

Reactions: 2 users
1. Why do you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?
2. Please describe a personal situation of failure, significant challenge or a major obstacle that you have overcome. Include a description of your coping skills and lessons you learned about yourself from that situation.
3. Video Interview: Discuss your knowledge of what it means to "serve the underserved," your passion for medicine and why you want to specifically attend Meharry Medical College.
@Lucca

Thanks so much! Is there a Word/Character limit to these questions?

Thanks so much! Is there a Word/Character limit to these questions?
None that I 'm aware of

Yo, how are ya'll tackling the Why Meharry prompt? Normally I'd go on the school site for info or scour reddit/SDN, etc but those aren't really paying dividends for me. There seems to be VERY LITTLE info available about Meharry out there, I know a guy who goes there but all he mentioned was a "family like atmosphere" which while great doesn't feel like a compelling enough reason.
Note: I'm not asking for ya'll's reasons as much as where you looked to find those reasons lol

None that I 'm aware of

Yo, how are ya'll tackling the Why Meharry prompt? Normally I'd go on the school site for info or scour reddit/SDN, etc but those aren't really paying dividends for me. There seems to be VERY LITTLE info available about Meharry out there, I know a guy who goes there but all he mentioned was a "family like atmosphere" which while great doesn't feel like a compelling enough reason.
Note: I'm not asking for ya'll's reasons as much as where you looked to find those reasons lol
They have a missions statement, I related my previous experiences to that and then talked about how I can benefit as well as contribute to/from the mission.

Anyone that has received a secondary want to post stats? lizzy m? thanks

Is anyone having difficulty with recording? For some reason the recorded video is not showing??

Are you suppose to receive an email stating you're complete after submitting the secondary? The only thing it says for me in the portal is submitted in green, and the link underneath it isn't working for me.
Dope name, but I dont think its working for anybody. Its supposed to have a checklist tab but for some reason it does not.

soo, I have had an acknowledgement of application for awhile now but still no secondary. Should I be worried?

soo, I have had an acknowledgement of application for awhile now but still no secondary. Should I be worried?
It took a couple of weeks before I got my secondary invite, give it some time

Did anyone figure out how to fix the fading in and out audio with the videos?

Did anyone figure out how to fix the fading in and out audio with the videos?
Yeah im not sure what software you use but in windows you right click the speaker icon and play in the options until you find microphone and then turn up *Specifically +db*(Cannot be specific because windows 7 and 10 are different)

Yeah im not sure what software you use but in windows you right click the speaker icon and play in the options until you find microphone and then turn up *Specifically +db*(Cannot be specific because windows 7 and 10 are different)
I have a mac sadly, I tried what someone else said about increasing the input volume and turning off use ambient noise reduction but that still did not work

I have a mac sadly, I tried what someone else said about increasing the input volume and turning off use ambient noise reduction but that still did not work
That did not work for me either. I tried using headphones to record and that just made the video freeze...

I figured it out.. You just have to basically yell/talk louder at a consistent pace

How wack would it be if I just read my pre-prepared response to the video interview prompt? Also, are ya'll dressing up for this? Like a dress shirt or blouse up top, shorts on bottom of course

How wack would it be if I just read my pre-prepared response to the video interview prompt? Also, are ya'll dressing up for this? Like a dress shirt or blouse up top, shorts on bottom of course
Ha! I wore a button up with pj's as my bottom. lol

I wrote my response out first , practiced a bunch of times for hours. Then recorded it. You can use a TelePrompTer if you want but be careful and try to be as natural as possible.

I still CANNOT access the secondary. I created an account and everything. When I click on the link, it says "Access Denied: This form is accessible by invitation only." I am using Mac. Anyone still having the same issue?

I still CANNOT access the secondary. I created an account and everything. When I click on the link, it says "Access Denied: This form is accessible by invitation only." I am using Mac. Anyone still having the same issue?
I am having the same issue.

I am having the same issue.
If you haven't tried it in Chrome yet I'd suggest that. In an email somewhere they mentioned something about the secondary website only working in Chrome

If you haven't tried it in Chrome yet I'd suggest that. In an email somewhere they mentioned something about the secondary website only working in Chrome

I used Chrome, updated Flash player, did all of the input audio stuff, and restarted my computer (mac) and it still lagged a little and tiny portions of the audio were missing but I just submitted because I had re-recorded 30x at that point and it didn't seem like it would get any better. I also did everything they suggested in the Help section (searched video) and it still wasn't 100% perfect. Overall very annoying experience...

Yeah i have tried it in both chrome and internet explorer. when i click the hyperlink, it says "400 bad request". When i log into the website, it says access denied, secondaries sent by invitatiton only. I called them and they gave me an email to message. Unfortunately its been 3 days and they havent responded to my email. Not sure what to do now

Has anyone not completed the secondary yet because of the video interview...?

Has anyone not completed the secondary yet because of the video interview...?
I bit the bullet and recorded using just one headphone piece with a mic. I was stressing over the fact that they might ding me on that, but they were not answering and I did not know what to do. My response was amazing, I just felt down because I had to use the headphone piece.

I really sat there and rerecorded my video response 100 times only to find out that none of the audio got picked up. I'm so done lmao

ETA: Using a headphone mic does work when you hold it all the way up to your mouth. I'm sure the adcom will love listening to my awkward breaths

Last edited:
wait so you guys went out and bought a mic? or just used the mic from your earphones and held it up to your mouth?