2018-2019 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe but from what I see on SDN, it’s mediocre at best.
I think SDN skews a lot of how we look at things. The sample size on here isn’t the greatest! Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday OOS URM 3.5 gpa 511 mcat

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates on the portal. This is driving me around the bend (MCAT)!!
Have you called them to let them know? I was having the same issue and they resolved it after the call.

Did they say they you wouldn’t get an interview? My application is still under review. I submitted in September and was marked “under review” on 9/26

No they didn’t tell me but it’s clear it’s what they’re doing.

Last edited:
This school is complete trash. They should have said from the get go that they’ll only be sending out interviews to those with high scores. I could have saved my money on the secondary if I knew. Clearly they don’t care about looking to see if you fit with their mission if you have a high mcat score.
Relax... Meharry has a low median MCAT for their matriculated students so they must be more forgiving if you’re a minority (especially AA) or have a strong mission fit. Even then the school does not owe you an interview, we’re at their mercy and there’s no point in getting worked up over things we can’t control. There are no guarantees in this process. Besides, Meharry has a decent amount of students who don’t match, get held behind, and/or fail STEP so the adcoms may try to improve that by interviewing students who have higher MCAT scores (since these students have shown that they can do well on standardized tests).

FWIW I have a 90+ percentile MCAT and have ties to Meharry/Nashville area/thousands of hours working with the underserved and I haven’t received an interview.

Reactions: 7 users
Relax... Meharry has a low median MCAT for their matriculated students so they must be more forgiving if you’re a minority (especially AA) or have a strong mission fit. Even then the school does not owe you an interview, we’re at their mercy and there’s no point in getting worked up over things we can’t control. There are no guarantees in this process. Besides, Meharry has a decent amount of students who don’t match, get held behind, and/or fail STEP so the adcoms may try to improve that by interviewing students who have higher MCAT scores (since these students have shown that they can do well on standardized tests).

FWIW I have a 90+ percentile MCAT and have ties to Meharry/Nashville area/thousands of hours working with the underserved and I haven’t received an interview.

Well that seems like they need to change up their curriculum if that’s the case. Not everything should be placed on their students and a standardized test that shows us nothing. People can have the highest MCAT score and still be a lousy doctor. I know people who had high MCAT scores but it didn’t translate to passing classes or doing well on STEP. If they will solely choose participants based only on the fact that they want their scores to be high and not on their mission, I want no parts of this school.

Hey guys on your portal did they ever confirm your application? I’m not sure if I need to call them or what.

Hey guys on your portal did they ever confirm your application? I’m not sure if I need to call them or what.

The portal doesn’t provide update statuses :( only receive an email to indicate that you’re complete.

But it does say “confirmed” on mine. Haven’t received complete email that stated my app is under review.

Reactions: 1 users
Well that seems like they need to change up their curriculum if that’s the case. Not everything should be placed on their students and a standardized test that shows us nothing. People can have the highest MCAT score and still be a lousy doctor. I know people who had high MCAT scores but it didn’t translate to passing classes or doing well on STEP. If they will solely choose participants based only on the fact that they want their scores to be high and not on their mission, I want no parts of this school.
I sense a lot of entitlement.. You're applying to the most competitive grad school/fields in the country. Stats take a certain amount of priority in the field. Many schools who are mission based still have an average of 3.7 GPA's and 509+ MCAT scores. We can give anectodal statements about lousy doctors with high stats but regardless adcoms need evidence that the student will be able to successfully complete medical school. They're making an investment so it is not out of question to interview high stats people first (who probably also fit the mission well) and get to the rest of the people later. I really don't think we can afford to be picky, call schools trash, and say we don't want to be a part of the school because of their admissions strategy. :shrug:

Reactions: 10 users
The portal doesn’t provide update statuses :( only receive an email to indicate that you’re complete.

But it does say “confirmed” on mine. Haven’t received complete email that stated my app is under review.

Thanks! Mine doesn’t say confirmed at all. Maybe because my MCAT score came out after I sent in my secondary. I’m sure you’d be getting the under review email soon!

I sense a lot of entitlement.. You're applying to the most competitive grad school/fields in the country. Stats take a certain amount of priority in the field. Many schools who are mission based still have an average of 3.7 GPA's and 509+ MCAT scores. We can give anectodal statements about lousy doctors with high stats but regardless adcoms need evidence that the student will be able to successfully complete medical school. They're making an investment so it is not out of question to interview high stats people first (who probably also fit the mission well) and get to the rest of the people later. I really don't think we can afford to be picky, call schools trash, and say we don't want to be a part of the school because of their admissions strategy. :shrug:

I completely agree. I get that people are getting frustrated about not getting a II yet, but there IS a such thing as doing too much. Take a break from SDN if you're feeling a type of way about every II announced, but don't say a school is trash because you're getting antsy. I get that it's nerve-wracking to see people posting about their IIs (especially when a few came before submitting secondaries), but if the adcom sees you as a fit for their program, your II will come in due time.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! This process is very difficult and frustrating. So I can understand where your frustration comes from. But unfortunately we are the ones making the decision and we have no idea the effort they put into choosing applicants for admission. It is still earlier on in the cycle and there is still much hope. No one is guaranteed anything because they make “the score”. Adcoms take their jobs very seriously and they get thousands of applications. I suggest you give them grace and understand that no part of this process is easy. It will do no good to get angry at the system no matter how flawed it is. I think this school does a great job in the fact that they have a good secondary application with a video component to get a true sense of who the applicant is. This I’m sure allows them to only invite those applicants who they really want to accept in for an interview.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree! This process is very difficult and frustrating. So I can understand where your frustration comes from. But unfortunately we are the ones making the decision and we have no idea the effort they put into choosing applicants for admission. It is still earlier on in the cycle and there is still much hope. No one is guaranteed anything because they make “the score”. Adcoms take their jobs very seriously and they get thousands of applications. I suggest you give them grace and understand that no part of this process is easy. It will do no good to get angry at the system no matter how flawed it is. I think this school does a great job in the fact that they have a good secondary application with a video component to get a true sense of who the applicant is. This I’m sure allows them to only invite those applicants who they really want to accept in for an interview.
Aren’t ***

I agree as well. People are also much more likely to post their good news on these threads so there's little perspective really. I was rejected from this school last year and reassessed what *I* did wrong. In due time I was able to learn and improve. I recieved an II from them this time around. If anything, I think admissions does the best they can to really evaluate the applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ve applied to Meharry twice. First time I didn’t receive a secondary, and the second time (last year) received a secondary. I didn’t hear anything from them between October 2017 to March 2018. In April I was told my application was still under review, and by May I was invited to their masters program. Unfortunately I had to decline because I already accepted another program, but I’ve decided to apply again this cycle. My MCAT score is what’s holding me back which sucks, but I plan on taking it again in April or May. Since I do have a low score but a lengthy resume, hopefully they’ll invite me to their masters program again. Just stay hopeful. I know it’s a frustrating process.

Does anyone know when they will be fixing the interview portal? I've called and emailed to no avail

I’ve applied to Meharry twice. First time I didn’t receive a secondary, and the second time (last year) received a secondary. I didn’t hear anything from them between October 2017 to March 2018. In April I was told my application was still under review, and by May I was invited to their masters program. Unfortunately I had to decline because I already accepted another program, but I’ve decided to apply again this cycle. My MCAT score is what’s holding me back which sucks, but I plan on taking it again in April or May. Since I do have a low score but a lengthy resume, hopefully they’ll invite me to their masters program again. Just stay hopeful. I know it’s a frustrating process.
So Meharry doesn’t send secondary apps to everyone ?

So Meharry doesn’t send secondary apps to everyone ?
I honestly don’t know. When I applied the first time they only offered it to certain applicants. That might have changed now.

Can anyone tell me the working contact number of the admin? I tried number found on internet, and not working. I have emailed them my questions and updates, but never get any replies. Also, never received any emails regarding if my application was completed. Would like to call them and check. Thanks.

I submitted my app in early October and have not received a complete email yet. Is anyone else still waiting on a complete email? Should I call to inquire?

I submitted my app in early October and have not received a complete email yet. Is anyone else still waiting on a complete email? Should I call to inquire?
Last year I submitted everything in October and did not hear anything from them until April. I didn't call them but I did send one email that wasn't responded to.

Starting to lose hope on this school :( URM OOS and still no II

Undergrad GPA: 3.26; Graduate GPA: 3.65; taking MCAT again but made a 485. I know...hella low LOL. I'm also a re-applicant.
Congrats on the interview and good luck!! Just to clarify I have a friend with identical stats. You got an interview with a 485 but you indicated on your amcas that you are retaking your Mcat in January or something? Is this interview for the masters program that you discussed above or regular md?

Congrats on the interview and good luck!! Just to clarify I have a friend with identical stats. You got an interview with a 485 but you indicated on your amcas that you are retaking your Mcat in January or something? Is this interview for the masters program that you discussed above or regular md?

I didn’t get an interview for either. They asked me if I wanted to consider using my application for their MHS program, but I declined. I talked with a few current students in the same program who told me they got a the same email asking that, but basically they’re inviting you. I have heard that people with low MCAT scores were accepted, so I would still apply especially if you’re a re-applicant or non-traditional or even both.

I just received my II this morning!

But didn't you just say you received an II? ^^^^^^

I didn’t get an interview for either. They asked me if I wanted to consider using my application for their MHS program, but I declined. I talked with a few current students in the same program who told me they got a the same email asking that, but basically they’re inviting you. I have heard that people with low MCAT scores were accepted, so I would still apply especially if you’re a re-applicant or non-traditional or even both.

So what did you mean by II ?

I think they received an II this cycle, but no II last cycle.

Has anyone complete October not received a complete email? Its been three weeks and I haven't received anything from them....should I call?

Has anyone complete October not received a complete email? Its been three weeks and I haven't received anything from them....should I call?

I was complete in October as well and never receieved a complete email.

Got an email that my application is under review which kinda made me nervous lol. I wanna give them an update of my shadowing experiences but I can't access the secondary application link. it says access denied. Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Did you ever figure out how to leave an update?

Are there any Canadians on here applying for Meharry and still waiting for an II? I know that over the years Meharry did take some internationals (including Canadians) so I am staying hopeful.

I'm so sorry I didn't realize people use II for both secondary AND interview. I only got a secondary last cycle but was invited to their master's program that didn't require an interview. Sorry for the confusion!!

How long are responses for post-secondary R/II supposed to take on average? Six weeks? Eight weeks?