2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
post secondary questions in the comments when you have them.

Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback: Mercer University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who reads this in the future, I'm an incoming M1 at Mercer and I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions. I'll try to stay as active on this thread as possible :)

Reactions: 1 user
Should I apply if my rural medicine experience is basically only shadowing and visiting community hospitals in rural, developing countries?

What is the culture at the Savannah campus? How is it decided who goes to which campus? Macon and Savannah are sooo different.

Edit: I am a GA resident!

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I apply if my rural medicine experience is basically only shadowing and visiting community hospitals in rural, developing countries?

What is the culture at the Savannah campus? How is it decided who goes to which campus? Macon and Savannah are sooo different.

Edit: I am a GA resident!
Definitely, I didn't have any rural medicine experience at all and I still got accepted. I can't speak on the Savannah campus as I'll be going to the Macon one and went to Mercer (in Macon) for undergrad. When you're accepted, you get to rank your campus preference and they will match you based on what's available.

Anyone who reads this in the future, I'm an incoming M1 at Mercer and I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions. I'll try to stay as active on this thread as possible :)
Hey! If you don't mind me asking, which schools (MD and DO) did you apply to? and what would be your biggest advice for those of us currently applying?

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, which schools (MD and DO) did you apply to? and what would be your biggest advice for those of us currently applying?
I don't mind!

MD: Mercer, Medical College of Georgia, Morehouse, Emory, Meharry, Northwestern, Howard, Central Michigan, Wake Forest, University of North Carolina

DO: GA-PCOM, PCOM, VCOM, ACOM, CUCOM, LMU-COM, OU-HCOM, WCUCOM

Definitely get your applications in as early as possible, and make your interest known to the schools you'd most like to go to

Hey there! Congrats on your acceptance. I'm interested in applying, but I've got zero experience with rural medicine. When you were applying and working on secondaries, how did you mention this? Did you just say you didn't have any experience? Thank you!
Hi, thank you! I didn't have any experience with rural medicine either. However, my county of residence had a shortage of doctors in primary care, something I encountered when I first moved there, so I talked about that experience, and that I would like to practice in a rural area after residency.

Hi, thank you! I didn't have any experience with rural medicine either. However, my county of residence had a shortage of doctors in primary care, something I encountered when I first moved there, so I talked about that experience, and that I would like to practice in a rural area after residency.
Cool! Thanks for letting me know.

Guys, I'm completely late on the Casper Test. Are they holding back the secondary until you've taken the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need the Casper test for Mercer's secondary??
No, when I called the admissions office, she said you just have to finish it within the deadline. I was worried they were holding back the secondary until the test was finished and received by the office, but she said you don't have to finish the test to get the secondary, they're just sending the secondaries out in waves..

They are trying to fix their system ... they have sent login information for the secondary app to some people but it is not working properly. I called them because the login failed.

Just joined today but always lurking on SDN and reddit. Got a secondary last week. Was hoping the website login would be fixed this week but still no word

Guys, I'm completely late on the Casper Test. Are they holding back the secondary until you've taken the exam?
Wondering the same here. I still haven't gotten my secondary this round!

Just called the admissions office and they told me that secondaries should be arriving today or tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who has received secondaries, can you please share the questions? Thank you!

First time poster here, long time lurker. Applying ED to Mercer this year and haven’t gotten a secondary yet!
Any word on this?

I know ED applicants have a 8/1 deadline (or is that just primary) and I'm assuming the secondary application issues haven't been fixed yet. Are they floating the deadline for y'all?

didn't apply ED but still waiting on the secondary...

I'm an upcoming first year, I don't check this often but will try to answer any questions you guys have.

From what I have heard the secondary questions do not change much from year to year. I would look at last years thread to get a good idea. I do know of people getting secondaries but their system was down for an extended period. That being said, I would assume now that it is back up, deadlines will not change.

For the ED people asking questions about deadlines, this was taken directly from their website: https://medicine.mercer.edu/admissions/md/information/committee/

Early Decision Program

August 1, 2018: Primary AMCAS Application & Transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS.

August 24, 2018: MUSM Admissions Office must receive an applicant’s CASPer score and GPA and official MCAT score(s) on a Verified Primary AMCAS application by 5:00PM ET for a Secondary Application Invitation for the Early Decision Program to be considered.

August 31, 2018: All Secondary Application components must be submitted by 5:00PM EST.

Early Decision Interview Information

August 23, 2018: Interviews start

September 5, 2018: If invited to interview, applicants will receive an email invitation no later than this date.

September 11, 2018: Interviews End

Also, as a word of advice, prior to filling out the secondary and or interview day (especially ED applicants) be sure to read up as much on MUSM as possible. Go through their website, know their mission statement, know how you can help support this mission statement, and also check their social media outlets (FB, youtube, etc.). Essentially, you want to have as much information as possible prior to starting this process.

On a final note, good luck everyone!

I'm an upcoming first year, I don't check this often but will try to answer any questions you guys have.

From what I have heard the secondary questions do not change much from year to year. I would look at last years thread to get a good idea. I do know of people getting secondaries but their system was down for an extended period. That being said, I would assume now that it is back up, deadlines will not change.

For the ED people asking questions about deadlines, this was taken directly from their website: https://medicine.mercer.edu/admissions/md/information/committee/

Early Decision Program

August 1, 2018: Primary AMCAS Application & Transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS.

August 24, 2018: MUSM Admissions Office must receive an applicant’s CASPer score and GPA and official MCAT score(s) on a Verified Primary AMCAS application by 5:00PM ET for a Secondary Application Invitation for the Early Decision Program to be considered.

August 31, 2018: All Secondary Application components must be submitted by 5:00PM EST.

Early Decision Interview Information

August 23, 2018: Interviews start

September 5, 2018: If invited to interview, applicants will receive an email invitation no later than this date.

September 11, 2018: Interviews End

Also, as a word of advice, prior to filling out the secondary and or interview day (especially ED applicants) be sure to read up as much on MUSM as possible. Go through their website, know their mission statement, know how you can help support this mission statement, and also check their social media outlets (FB, youtube, etc.). Essentially, you want to have as much information as possible prior to starting this process.

On a final note, good luck everyone!
Hi fellow upcoming first year! What campus will you be at?

Secondary received today (07/30). Primary verified 06/29. IS.

Secondary received 7/30. Here are the questions:

1. Please provide below an alternate e-mail address (different from the one listed on the Primary AMCAS Application) to which we can send you correspondence related to your application. (Required)

2. Please provide a cell phone number at which you can be contacted in reference to your application. (Required)

3. Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student. (Required)

4. If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below (230 words max)

5. What is your understanding of the practice of rural medicine? (230 words max)

6. Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain. (230 words max)

7. The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency? (230 words max)

8. If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM. (230 words max)

9. Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below. (230 words max)

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Secondary received 7/30
Verified 6/5

Non traditional student applying. Good luck to everyone.

The more I read about Mercer’s small class sizes and increased responsibility for its students, the more I want to go here! So glad I did not simply write this school off because of its location. Gonna submit this 2ndary asap. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey have any of you gotten confirmation emails on secondary apps yet?

Hey have any of you gotten confirmation emails on secondary apps yet?

No, but I submitted the secondary July 31 and everything on my sec app status page is green check marks. On their secondary, there's a notice saying that they are having tech difficulties with sending confirmation emails right now but they're working on it.

When yall try to click on the documentation or letter of rec tab in the secondary, are yall sent to some error page?

My secondary is complete, I am ready to submit. But I only have checkmarks for 2 sections, the rest of the sections are marked incomplete. Are yall experiencing this problem or just me?

Rejected after primary. For future applicants they screen for secondaries and you MUST meet a certain GPA and MCAT to receive a secondary. Good luck everyone else!

My secondary is complete, I am ready to submit. But I only have checkmarks for 2 sections, the rest of the sections are marked incomplete. Are yall experiencing this problem or just me?
Yeah I actually had the same problem and had to play with it to get it all checked complete. For the uploaded document parts, just click on the upload button and don't click the save button. Because for some reason after clicking the save button on those same pages, it'll change the green check to the incomplete mark.

I finally got a confirmation email

Submitted my secondary application and all supporting documents yesterday (8/2), and received a confirmation email today. Goodluck to all applicants!

Last secondary..... dragging my feet because of the documents that need to be printed and notarized :dead:

Last secondary..... dragging my feet because of the documents that need to be printed and notarized :dead:
For the record, most banks and libraries will notarize for free if you don’t have someone you personally know. I would give your local ones a call if you’re having trouble with that step!

Anyone else having trouble copying & pasting essays to the secondary website? I paste, and then the next keystroke I make deletes the entire essay. Any insight to this issue?

Anyone else having trouble copying & pasting essays to the secondary website? I paste, and then the next keystroke I make deletes the entire essay. Any insight to this issue?

This happened to me only when the words exceeded the 230 word limit. Check to see if you are within the word limit when copying your essays

This happened to me only when the words exceeded the 230 word limit. Check to see if you are within the word limit when copying your essays
I usually check the word limit during edits, and I thought they were either under or right at 230. I'll have to go back and check now. Thanks!