2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone gotten an interview extension yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an ED applicant and currently working on the secondary to turn in by next week. I am taking the CASPer exam today at 5pm and didn't realize that it takes 3 weeks for the results to be processed and sent. I just called the admissions office and am waiting to hear back, but is this going to completely put my application out of the ED deadline (the results won't be in by the 24th....but will be in by the 31st...)?? I'm worried.

I'm an ED applicant and currently working on the secondary to turn in by next week. I am taking the CASPer exam today at 5pm and didn't realize that it takes 3 weeks for the results to be processed and sent. I just called the admissions office and am waiting to hear back, but is this going to completely put my application out of the ED deadline (the results won't be in by the 24th....but will be in by the 31st...)?? I'm worried.
You should call them because i'm not sure if anybody here knows how serious they are taking the casper results.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This means they will give you a confirmation email within 2 days to let you know they received your secondary and they will not be able to review your app until you are complete. If you receive the confirmation email and you are complete, then you’re good and the waiting game begins!

Currently working on the secondary and had a question about the prompt asking where you would practice in the future. I understand that Mercer's emphasis is on rural medicine, but I'm from downtown Atlanta and have never had any experience with rural areas. I have, however, had experience with severely underserved populations which is also a part of the mission. Would it be safer, to be honest, and say that I would like to practice in underserved areas around Fulton county, even though it's not rural? Or say that I would practice in a rural area when I've never had experience with it? Would really appreciate the help on this, especially from matriculants. Has anyone been accepted by saying they won't practice in rural areas? (ORM, BCPM GPA 3.84, Total GPA 3.9, MCAT 508)

Currently working on the secondary and had a question about the prompt asking where you would practice in the future. I understand that Mercer's emphasis is on rural medicine, but I'm from downtown Atlanta and have never had any experience with rural areas. I have, however, had experience with severely underserved populations which is also a part of the mission. Would it be safer, to be honest, and say that I would like to practice in underserved areas around Fulton county, even though it's not rural? Or say that I would practice in a rural area when I've never had experience with it? Would really appreciate the help on this, especially from matriculants. Has anyone been accepted by saying they won't practice in rural areas? (ORM, BCPM GPA 3.84, Total GPA 3.9, MCAT 508)
Me and my friend went to georgia state together, he worked at grady as a transportation guy, never stepped foot anywhere rural in his life had a 3.7 and 505 and he starts in Savannah in a week (Applied last year) also like you he is ORM.

If you chat up your underserved population experience I'm sure you have a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from or have any experience shadowing doctors in the Athens area? I am having a difficult time finding doctors that will allow me to shadow them, and was hoping to possibly get a lead on a physician that allows shadowing. Thanks!

Hello! Just wanted to say I received II today (applied ED)! Super excited!!!!! :soexcited:Good luck to everyone!! Wondering if anyone has some tips from previous years??

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering, if you don't mind sharing, when were you considered complete?
My primary was verified on June 20. Secondary received July 23rd, and then I submitted on Aug 15th. II received Aug 17th! Hope this is helpful :)

Hi everyone! Applied regular decision and still waiting for my application to verify, unfortunately. However, I recently shadowed a physician in rural Georgia who practices family medicine in rural Georgia. She and I really hit it off and she offered to write me a letter of recommendation. This physician has strong ties to Mercer and I think her letter would be really impactful. Does anyone know if she can bypass the AMCAS Letter Service? I know their website says no, but I think it would be really advantageous for me to try based on my MCAT score. Thoughts?

Hi everyone! Applied regular decision and still waiting for my application to verify, unfortunately. However, I recently shadowed a physician in rural Georgia who practices family medicine in rural Georgia. She and I really hit it off and she offered to write me a letter of recommendation. This physician has strong ties to Mercer and I think her letter would be really impactful. Does anyone know if she can bypass the AMCAS Letter Service? I know their website says no, but I think it would be really advantageous for me to try based on my MCAT score. Thoughts?
I doubt it can be bypassed, but Call the MUSM admissions office to ask; they are very nice.

I submitted my secondary on Saturday 8/18, and have not gotten a complete email just yet. My letters of rec have been sent in since 8/13 but they have not been "entered by admissions" just yet. Anyone else waiting on something similar? Wasn't sure if this length to be complete is typical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary on Saturday 8/18, and have not gotten a complete email just yet. My letters of rec have been sent in since 8/13 but they have not been "entered by admissions" just yet. Anyone else waiting on something similar? Wasn't sure if this length to be complete is typical.
They dont send complete emails, as long as you have a green check on everything you're good.

Got my II for ED! Submitted secondary on the 17th and invite received the 23rd :)
MCAT: 505 (bleh)
GPA: 3.97

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I am waiting on the exact same thing. I don't know what the hold up is. If you received my AMCAS you should have also received my letters so why am I not complete.? Anyone else with any insight?

Hey, I am waiting on the exact same thing. I don't know what the hold up is. If you received my AMCAS you should have also received my letters so why am I not complete.? Anyone else with any insight?
/

I submitted on 7/29 but my application wasn't all green check marked until 8/14. When I called the admissions office, they were having issues with the application system (specifically CASPer and LoR). Might want to try calling them and checking to see if everything is green check marked!

Last edited:
Received my II this morning! EDP, GA resident, LizzyM score of 69. Good luck to all of us!

Received my II this morning! EDP, GA resident, LizzyM score of 69. Good luck to all of us!
Congrats!! Good luck to everyone that has interviewed or is going to interview in the next few weeks!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker and wanted to let y'all know I just received an interview invite this afternoon for early decision as well today. By the time I got to my laptop, there was only the final day for ED and Savannah campus still open for scheduling interviews. I have toured both campuses in the past though and they're both great with very friendly staff!

Stats-
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 512

Congrats to those who already received interviews and good luck to everyone else!

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker and wanted to let y'all know I just received an interview invite this afternoon for early decision as well today. By the time I got to my laptop, there was only the final day for ED and Savannah campus still open for scheduling interviews. I have toured both campuses in the past though and they're both great with very friendly staff!

Stats-
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 512

Congrats to those who already received interviews and good luck to everyone else!
Yes, just so everyone knows, where you interview doesn't matter. I chose to interview in Savannah because the next Macon date was much farther away, and I'm at the Macon campus now

Congrats to all of the recent interview invites!!!

Has any non-ED applicant received an interview yet?

Just got an II! I'm a regular (non-ED) applicant.
Same here! I'm so glad to hear back from Mercer. ORM, regular applicant, completed secondary 8/3.

Do you only see one date available for your interview? The email/portal made me assume there were multiple options but I only see the one date/location.

Does anyone know if they will send out rejection emails as well at 5 so I can start applying to other schools? I am an ED applicant so would love to know when I can start applying elsewhere if that's the case.

Same here! I'm so glad to hear back from Mercer. ORM, regular applicant, completed secondary 8/3.

Do you only see one date available for your interview? The email/portal made me assume there were multiple options but I only see the one date/location.

Congrats to you both! Also got a II today! Complete: 8/3/18 , URM, GA resident. I also only saw one date available so I'm hoping more options pop up

EDIT:
Was able to get Sept 20 in Macon!

Last edited:

Mine showed no dates at first, so I called and got the problem sorted out. After that, they accidentally opened up ED interview spots, which I signed up for since they were the only ones available.. Soon after they called and had me reschedule over the phone! If you're only seeing a few dates, it might be beneficial to call and try to schedule that way. I'm going to the Macon campus on 9/20, so hopefully I'll see some of you all there!

Mine showed no dates at first, so I called and got the problem sorted out. After that, they accidentally opened up ED interview spots, which I signed up for since they were the only ones available.. Soon after they called and had me reschedule over the phone! If you're only seeing a few dates, it might be beneficial to call and try to schedule that way. I'm going to the Macon campus on 9/20, so hopefully I'll see some of you all there!
Oh, that explains things! I checked via my phone and saw nothing at first. Later, I checked via a PC and saw the one date so I snagged it immediately. I didn't have any ED interview dates available. The email recommended scheduling within 3 business days so I didn't want to wait and risk losing that date. I'll be at Macon on 9/18!

haha all of the "How rural do I have to be?" questions are bringing back flashbacks of my two times applying here. My first cycle, I almost didn't even bother applying to Mercer because the secondary made it sound like a rural background was so imperative that you'd basically just be throwing away your money applying if you didn't want to be a family medicine doctor and grow up in Middle-of-Nowhere, GA. I thought I was so much more likely to get into MCG, and well, here I am. Don't write down that your goal is to practice in Atlanta (and definitely not like NYC lol) because you've always dreamed of dat big city life, but I would say probably the majority of our class isn't rurally affiliated and wants to go into a non-primary care specialty. Do know how to play up any connection to underserved areas or populations you do have. I was born in an urban town that had a large minority population, so my secondaries talked about my exposure to those patient populations. Also, do prepare for interview questions about underserved areas in Georgia you might be interested in practicing in.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who reads this in the future, I'm an incoming M1 at Mercer and I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions. I'll try to stay as active on this thread as possible :)

I saw on MSAR that Mercer had only one out of state applicant but it's supposedly a private school (on MSAR). Is this only for in state??

I saw on MSAR that Mercer had only one out of state applicant but it's supposedly a private school (on MSAR). Is this only for in state??
Yes, they only accept in state residents.

Does anyone know what date the AdCom is meeting up this month for ED applicants? I was told it was September 20th last year

Does anyone know what date the AdCom is meeting up this month for ED applicants? I was told it was September 20th last year

Reading the threads of past years I found a random claim that the AdCom meets the third Wednesday of every month at 5:00 p.m. Take this with a grain of salt, but I saw that people usually got called that night for ED. Looking at when that might fall back, I think that ED folks will hear back Wednesday, 9/19 after 5:00 p.m. However, last year hurricane Irma delayed the meeting for another week, pushing the AdCom decision back to September 27, 2017, a week forward from their usual meeting. If hurricane Florence causes the same delay, we might hear decisions the 26th. Either way, I'm going to be anxious about decisions starting the 19th! I'm feeling aladeen about the whole shebang. My neuroticism might be showing through all the thought I've given this. . .

Last edited:
Reading the threads of past years I found a random claim that the AdCom meets the third Wednesday of every month at 5:00 p.m. Take this with a grain of salt, but I saw that people usually got called that night for ED. Looking at when that might fall back, I think that ED folks will hear back Wednesday, 9/19 after 5:00 p.m. However, last year hurricane Irma delayed the meeting for another week, pushing the AdCom decision back to September 27, 2017, a week forward from their usual meeting. If hurricane Florence causes the same delay, we might hear decisions the 26th. Either way, I'm going to be anxious about decisions starting the 19th! I'm feeling aladeen about the whole shebang. My neuroticism might be showing through all the thought I've given this. . .
I read through that thread and came to the same conclusion. When I was leaving the interview Ariel told me "we would hear the last week of September, maybe even October 1st". I don't know if that means they're meeting later this year, or thats the latest we will hear. I hate to speculate, but I'm posting this so that maybe someone with more information can share????? I've been anxious since leaving the interview, just wish I knew when to expect the call....

Personally, I believe that Ariel meant we'd hear BY the end of this month (October 1st, even). One of the ambassadors who gave my group the tour told me that he was ED himself, and that he and the rest of the ED applicants found out at the same time like the night of when the AdCom met up (sept 21st). Based on that, I'm thinking that Ariel and admissions doesn't want to tell us exactly when the AdCom is meeting up because they can't promise we'll definitely hear by that date - it's just easier for them to tell us the latest date we could hear back.

Has any non-ED applicants got an interview yet?

Personally, I believe that Ariel meant we'd hear BY the end of this month (October 1st, even). One of the ambassadors who gave my group the tour told me that he was ED himself, and that he and the rest of the ED applicants found out at the same time like the night of when the AdCom met up (sept 21st). Based on that, I'm thinking that Ariel and admissions doesn't want to tell us exactly when the AdCom is meeting up because they can't promise we'll definitely hear by that date - it's just easier for them to tell us the latest date we could hear back.
Exactly my thinking. I just got extremely nervous! HA Good luck ED peeps!!!

Congrats! When were you complete and what are your stats?
Thanks. Complete on 8/1 LizzyM of 68. But in my limited experience thus far always remember you are much more than just your GPA and MCAT. Sometimes there’s no real rhyme or reason as to why someone gets an interview early and someone gets one later. The holistic review is a real thing.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an interview invite this morning! I am interviewing next Tuesday 9/25 at the Savannah Campus, and I am a regular decision applicant. Any advice would be appreciated!

Got an interview invite this morning! I am interviewing next Tuesday 9/25 at the Savannah Campus, and I am a regular decision applicant. Any advice would be appreciated!
Congratulations! That's awesome. When did you submit your secondary application?

Interviewing here soon. Any tips on things to look out for? It's interesting that we have interviews before meeting with students and having lunch!

Any other ED peeps counting down the days until the final decision!? :shrug::shrug::eyebrow:+pity+
I have been obsessively reading about the ED timeline from last year and replaying my interview day over in my head....

Reactions: 5 users