2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, May 16, 2018.

1. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone speak at all to the feel and location of both campuses? I am more familiar with the city of Savannah so I chose to interview at Macon; however, I know nothing about the campuses at either location. All opinions are welcome!

2. HeisenbergIsTheGOAT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on your acceptance! You were in my interview group :)

GaMD2B likes this.
  3. sagittarius21

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm going to the Savannah campus. I have been to both campuses several times during undergrad and I LOVE the Savannah location. It still seems brand new and it is right next to Memorial Hospital. Savannah is a great place to live, and there's always things to do here. However, you don't get all the same perks in Savannah like you do in Macon in regards to being on a college campus vs. not being on a college campus. I chose Savannah for my campus, personally, because I feel at home there with the people and the environment.

luxaeterna6 likes this.
  4. Fruit punch samurai

Does anyone know who we are suppose to fax the Georgia Release Form to? Is it to the admissions office or AAMC?

5. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    I went to Mercer in Macon for undergrad (and came back for med school) so I'm very familiar with it, and I wrote something about this last year in response to someone who was applying with me, so let me try to find it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    My post from last year about campuses:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to Mercer for undergrad so I'm super familiar with the Macon campus.

Pros:
    Campus feel/activities because the medical school is on the undergrad campus (pro for me personally, could be a con for some people)
    Campus is constantly upgrading (just built a new science building steps away from the med school building)
    Cost of living is lower than in Savannah (I interviewed in Savannah and the current students said most people live in/rent houses, apartments are widely available in Macon)
    About 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta (I've made the drive sooo many times, it goes by super quickly)

Cons:
    Medical school building is older/not as fancy as Savannah
    Not much to do in Macon compared to Savannah (random, but Macon is getting rid of its only Target and that really bums me out lol)
    Hospital is farther away than Savannah (hospital is walking distance behind the med school building in Savannah)
    No close access to the beach like in Savannah

While at Mercer for undergrad, I 100% thought I'd choose the Savannah campus for med school, but now I'm realizing that the campus feel of Macon is better for me :)
    I'm probably forgetting stuff, so if you (or anyone) have any specific questions about the Macon campus/Macon in general, please feel free to ask :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    K-Frog and ghouloftokyo like this.
  7. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for this! I interview at Macon in a few weeks and I’m unsure about which campus will be best for me if I am accepted, but this definitely helps. Thank you!

luxaeterna6 likes this.
  8. Futuredoctor_9

Does anyone know how long does it take approximately to receive an interview invitation after your file is complete?

ghouloftokyo likes this.
  9. GaMD2B

I second this question. Do we fax it to the number on the sheet? The one that ends in 1680?

10. flyingdoctor412

Pre-Medical
    I believe so. That's what it said on the website where I downloaded the form.

11. Scoobs11

(For those that are lost, the form is one you download from the Certiphi website once your background check results come back. They send you an email to notify you and you go back to the website, log in using that same code they sent you to sign up, and you can look at the results and download the "Georgia Release Form".) I felt like we had already signed a release previously, so I'm still a little confused as to what the purpose is of the additional one, but I filled it out and turned it in anyway just in case.

The 800-260-1680 number is not a fax number. I called this number and spoke with someone who told me the fax number but also gave me the option to email the scanned document into their office. He said he didn't think it was necessary and that everything was already released but that it wouldn't hurt to do that.
    Fax number: (888) 495-8476
    Email: [email protected]
    *Be sure to include your case reference number!
    I am going to call again to check on this both with the certiphi people and Mercer's Admissions Office and I'll let everyone know if anything here needs to be edited. Please double check the information above and help me verify that I was given the correct information. Thanks!

flyingdoctor412 and luxaeterna6 like this.
  12. MedSouthEast18

II received today! Complete early September and LizzyM is 72.

13. MedSouthEast18

For those of you who have scheduled an interview, were you able to do so online? The calendar online is showing no highlighted dates period. (Not for any month or campus). Is the system not working? Should I call or email?

14. MedSouthEast18

Okay the online portal finally worked! However, it only showed one date available which is November 27, at the Savannah campus. (Which I accepted) I was planning to go to the Macon campus if possible (since it is closer). Is there anything different about interviewing at the Savannah campus that I should know?

Also, I have never been to either campus. If I am accepted (I know this is a big if) , would there be any way to tour the Macon campus before selecting which one I would like to go to?

#164 MedSouthEast18, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  15. KJOD1N812

II today! Completed early September! Earliest interview date in November though :(
    Total GPA: 3.82
    BCPM GPA: 3.84
    MCAT: 507 (retake)
    Reapplicant. ORM female.

#165 KJOD1N812, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  16. MedLife24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Any advice for the interview?

17. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    I interviewed at the Savannah campus because it was the earliest date available and I'm at Macon now :) There's nothing different about interviewing at either campus, and you would definitely be able to schedule a tour!

MedSouthEast18 likes this.
  18. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    Don't worry, my earliest date was December after getting my II around this time last year and I was still accepted :) At least one other interviewee on my date was accepted too!

KJOD1N812 likes this.
  19. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
  20. Superzero303

Pre-Medical
    How was your interview experience if you dont mind sharing? Was it stressful? Any questions that threw you off?

21. sagittarius21

Interview wasn't stressful at all!! It's hard to give advice on what to expect because everyone's experience is different since we all have different interviewers. The only tip I have would be just to go with the flow and be yourself! Some interviewers ask typical med school interview questions while others just want to chat with you. So don't go into the day with an idea that it will go a certain way. Just relax as much as possible and just have a conversation with them. :)

luxaeterna6 and Superzero303 like this.
  22. GaMD2B

Each person's experience with interview day will be totally unique, but it seems pretty unanimous that no one would describe interview day at Mercer as particularly "stressful." My interview day was not stressful at all; however, my two interviews could not have been more different from each other. I really hit it off with my first interviewer, as we came from similar educational backgrounds and are passionate about a lot of the same subject areas even outside medicine/science. I was told that interviews are supposed to last 30-40 minutes, but the whole hour flew by during my first one (we actually had to check to make sure that we had not run out of time lol), and I could have chatted with my interviewer all day. I just got really lucky to have been paired with someone with whom I clicked so well, as interviewees and interviewers are supposedly matched randomly.

My second interview was just... bland. Interviews are all open-file, but my second interviewer chose not to read my file beforehand, so I was literally asked a laundry list of the most basic questions (why medicine, where did you go to school, what are your hobbies, etc.). It was still super low stress, and there were no curveball questions, but it was a bit of a buzzkill compared to my first interview lol. My second interview actually only lasted 20 minutes even including about 5-ish minutes of Q&A at the end.

I really like the fact that Mercer schedules lunch AFTER both interviews rather than between them, as that allows the rest of the day to be really relaxed and enjoyable. One of my interview days last cycle had lunch on the schedule between interviews; not only was I a bucket of nerves during lunch, but I almost walked into my second interview with cupcake frosting in my beard. Very close call; would not have been a cute look. Do keep in mind - definitely don't obsess or anything, but just... remain passively aware - that the student ambassadors with whom you have lunch and take the tour are "watching you," so to speak, and one of them will submit an evaluation of you to the admissions committee. So, you know, don't change from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde as soon as your interviews are finished. :p I didn't find this to be an issue; tbh, I didn't even think about it, and I talked as openly/candidly with the student ambassadors at Mercer as I would have at any other place. Oh, and the lunch is definitely on the better side in terms of med school interview day lunches. At least, I was impressed with what they gave us in Savannah. Can't speak for Macon, but I'm sure that they do a good job there, too.

Overall, it's ultimately a really fun day that doesn't have to be very stressful if you can find a way not to be anxious. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming. Be authentic, be consistent, and be friendly, and everything should go smoothly!

23. Superzero303

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! This was super helpful!!

24. Lakeshow0027

Pre-Medical
    Hey! Very similar to the answers above. Very relaxed environment for a medical school interview. I was a little nervous naturally as it was my first interview but the environment was very welcoming. The interview coordinator in Savannah was excellent. She was so kind and truly wanted the best for us. She even gave us a run-down of who was interviewing us and gave us tips on what to do/ not do for each interviewer! I personally did not have an issue with tricky questions. First interview was very conversational and followed the lines of a typical med school interview. Basically gauging my interest in the school with questions about the curriculum, why I wanted to go to Mercer, etc. Very conversational and I could tell the interviewer was not trying to grill/stump me. My second interview was very quick with even more stereotypical questions including my GPA and MCAT and how I studied for the MCAT. Having the interviews be in the morning really helped ease the group for lunch with the ambassadors and just really helped us relax. I think this was a great interview to have first as it eased us in the process. I loved the environment when touring and MUSM really impressed me! I would do the same prep you would do for all med school interviews as your assigned interviewers may be different from the ones I had! Just be yourself and try to relax while there.I hope that helps!

Superzero303 likes this.
  25. doogiedawg

2+ Year Member

I was complete on 9/6 and received an II on 9/24. I also have friends who were complete earlier and still haven't received. Hope this helps! I know the timeline is different for everyone, but I would say keep your head up! Still some time before they'll be finished interviewing.

Futuredoctor_9 and luxaeterna6 like this.
  26. ChemJongUn

Accepted! Called around 6:45PM & I interviewed late September. Good luck to everyone!

K-Frog, luxaeterna6, bjbby1 and 3 others like this.
  27. wwdawg1540

Where did you interview?

28. ChemJongUn

Savannah Campus

29. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    Acceptance email about 5 min ago!!!

K-Frog, luxaeterna6, bjbby1 and 5 others like this.
  30. doogiedawg

2+ Year Member

Where did you interview?

31. flyingbiscuts

Pre-Medical
    got my acceptance email at 8:30ish!!! SO excited!!! good luck to everyone this cycle!!

32. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    Macon end of September

doogiedawg likes this.
  33. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats man! When I met you at the interview, I had a feeling you would make it!

saucy7 likes this.
  34. doogiedawg

2+ Year Member

Congratulations! So excited for you!

saucy7 likes this.
  35. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! Here’s to hoping for good news coming your way soon.

Hirro likes this.
  36. Kj_Md

Acceptance email around 9:45 this morning!

37. Lakeshow0027

Pre-Medical
    Acceptance email as well! So so excited!!!!!!!

38. KJOD1N812

Congrats! When did you interview?

39. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

What are the community service requirements for graduation?

Is there an on-campus gym for students at the Savannah campus? Are there intramural activities for students at the Savannah campus?

40. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    When I went to open house in Savannah last year there is a gym that’s part of the hospital but students have access. Not sure about community service or intramural sports there though. I’m planning on putting in for Savannah for the school systems since I have kiddos. The campus is beautiful and from talking to other students there currently really isn’t a disadvantage to Macon at all.

Boola Boy likes this.
  41. Lakeshow0027

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed late September in Savannah!

KJOD1N812 likes this.
  42. RDocStarr

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone who interviewed in October received an acceptance?

Feelgood MD and doogiedawg like this.
  43. Medmalyer

Medical Student
    Accepted! Received call tonight around 6:15 pm.
    There is a gym at Memorial Hospital adjacent to the medical school building that is free for Mercer students to use. It' s nice with plenty of equipment and indoor track. Massages are available for a small fee. You just have to register at the gym. Intramurals are available in Savannah but it is community groups not school groups.

K-Frog, luxaeterna6 and Boola Boy like this.
  44. Medmalyer

Medical Student
    Received acceptance email this morning and paid $100 deposit on portal

luxaeterna6 likes this.
  45. Medmalyer

Medical Student
    What school systems are you looking at? I've got three kids and we are looking at schools in Savannah area around the med school. Looks like lots of private school options but the public system seems to have bad reviews.

46. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    Just a generality Macon seems to have worse schools and not be as nice of an area for families. We have three young ones as well and my wife is a school teacher so we’re gonna really be looking where she can find a job be that public or private.

How did you find area to pay deposit?

47. saucy7

Pre-Medical
    I found the area on the portal to accept and pay deposit. I interviewed at several other schools and am waiting to hear from them as well. If I “accept” the offer and pay the deposit is that ultimately binding meaning I cannot accept at another school if offered there as well? Or is this more procedural etc?

48. Medmalyer

Medical Student
    It is on the same online portal as the secondary app under "Acceptance Offer". My wife is a pharmacist and looking for a job in Savannah, so if anyone has any friends or leads let me know. Saucy7 - Let me know if your wife gets a job teaching in Savannah, we will have to consider the school. I'm voting for Savannah campus. I loved the community and campus when I interviewed and it seems more family friendly.

49. DocNgWin

Pre-Medical
    OMG got my acceptance around 9:45 this morning! So excited! Interviewed at Macon on Oct 9! Hopefully others are getting their acceptances too.

50. sagittarius21

I've lived in the Savannah area for a few months now and in the surrounding counties for the past few years and I have to say that I have never really heard anything good about the public schools here. If it is an option, I would definitely look into private school.