2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m OOS!
Interviewed recently so hoping to hear something on March 13th. I’ve been so eager
If I'm not mistaken, the interview will play a larger role in the process than stats, at least during the final vote so if you had a good interview, you have a good shot!
Low GPA here, decent MCAT though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Very true. Idk in my brain I’m just like idk if I would be making that much in the future bc it’s just speculation. At least for a fact I know how much I’d be saving. But then again it’s sucks to sit out a year so it’s def a tough decision.
I believe I received a call from MSU CHM stating that they would try and help in the process of establishing residency for you if you do decide to defer for a year, however an important requirement is that you actually work in the state of Michigan for at least a year prior to matriculating, at least that's what I got from another call with Dr. Maurer. That means if you plan on deferring, you would have to start working there around the end of July/Beginning of August to stand a chance of establishing residency there!

Received second look email.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I received a call from MSU CHM stating that they would try and help in the process of establishing residency for you if you do decide to defer for a year, however an important requirement is that you actually work in the state of Michigan for at least a year prior to matriculating, at least that's what I got from another call with Dr. Maurer. That means if you plan on deferring, you would have to start working there around the end of July/Beginning of August to stand a chance of establishing residency there!
Yeah I know! I received that call as well

does anyone know if its possible to get the travel award if you didn't originally apply for the application fee waiver?

Keep in mind that MSUCHM has 3 semesters in the first year so it's actually $87K+ for OOS tuition only.
I stand corrected! There is a summer semester... so it is 81k+ for tuition. Seesh! I foresee ketchup instead of A1 steak sauce in the future

Last edited:
Yeah it definitely sucks to get in but sit out a year but on the flip I don’t want to be in debt my whole life hahaha. I’m sure she’d say to live in a cardboard box haha. But congrats on the call!!
Haha! Congrats to you as well for your acceptance! Hope everything works out!

By the way, Second Look Day occurs on the week prior to Easter Sunday. So for those flying in or taking the train - book early! Transportation costs can potentially be frightening.

Is there a pro and con list of the two campuses around? I’m having a really hard time deciding on GR or EL.

Is there a pro and con list of the two campuses around? I’m having a really hard time deciding on GR or EL.
Same! I'm not sure but this is what I've found so far for myself (and anybody please correct me if I am wrong):

Grand Rapids:
- Cost of Living is a bit higher vs. EL
- Colder
- Up and coming city, more densly populated and more urban hence more to do in general
- Smaller but newer building, connected to the hospital and in the Medical Mile

East Lansing:
- In a basement on the main MSU campus
- Great if you enjoy the undergraduate/college life/sports
- More centrally located, just over an hour to Grand Rapids, Detroit, etc.
- Larger campus, slightly more staff (for example, they said EL had 2 on campus psychologists for students support vs. 1 in GR, something along those lines but my interview was a while ago)

What are some of the more important factors to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! Quick question: how long till being assigned a PIN/PAD# after getting the call? also, how long will it be till we find out which campus we will be placed at?

Just withdrew. Hope the acceptance goes to one of you beautiful people still waiting! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
hey everyone! Quick question: how long till being assigned a PIN/PAD# after getting the call? also, how long will it be till we find out which campus we will be placed at?
PIN/PAD took a little over a week if I remember right... And they just sent out an email regarding campus preferences the other day, we have to respond with our preferences by April 22nd, and we will know our assignment before April 30th!

PIN/PAD took a little over a week if I remember right... And they just sent out an email regarding campus preferences the other day, we have to respond with our preferences by April 22nd, and we will know our assignment before April 30th!

Sweet thank you!!
Yeah, I saw the campus preference! I choose right away!

Heard people are getting rejected off of the waitlist, anybody else know someone in that situation?

Heard people are getting rejected off of the waitlist, anybody else know someone in that situation?

Really? If that’s true it might mean they’re anticipating low waitlist movement may be

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if this could be due to accepted students using, or not using, the choose your medical school thing... Probably a huge guessing game for all of the Adcoms this year

I wonder if this could be due to accepted students using, or not using, the choose your medical school thing... Probably a huge guessing game for all of the Adcoms this year

Interesting. But I believe students aren’t required to select 3 until April 15th. So until then people can change their minds

Interesting. But I believe students aren’t required to select 3 until April 15th. So until then people can change their minds
I think you're right. But I also thought schools got preliminary reports saying that x number of accepted students had selected an option, up to April 15th, then after that schools can get more detailed reports on which of their applicants have selected what?

Could be wrong on how that works, but just speculating on the reasons for WL rejections.

I think you're right. But I also thought schools got preliminary reports saying that x number of accepted students had selected an option, up to April 15th, then after that schools can get more detailed reports on which of their applicants have selected what?

Could be wrong on how that works, but just speculating on the reasons for WL rejections.
Is this a common thing at other schools? I've never heard of a Waitlist rejection this early before.

Is this a common thing at other schools? I've never heard of a Waitlist rejection this early before.
Honestly, I have no idea. To me, it doesn't make sense for schools to reject WL people at this point in the season.

People could be rejected for reasons we don't know early on, like an IA or failed grade etc. Not sure about MSU's policies, but some schools require you to report certain info immediately should it come up throughout the cycle. Just speculation though, maybe they just realized they over waitlisted and knew they had to boot some people, who knows.

Reactions: 1 users

I think you are right. really curious on how the fb page only has less than half the class size lol are they not done with interviews?

How do these scholarship application essays work? Basically 300 words to talk about how you meet their criteria?

I think you are right. really curious on how the fb page only has less than half the class size lol are they not done with interviews?

I remember at the interview Dr. Maurer said that the max number they were planning to accept before traffic day was 200.

I thought the class size was 190. At least that’s what is says on MSAR

Reactions: 3 users
Any ideas on if they finished interviewing yet and/or how many they’ve accepted so far?

Also I remember he said during the interview that the WL movement will be unpredictable this year, but out of curiosity, does anyone know what previous waitlist movement was like?

How do these scholarship application essays work? Basically 300 words to talk about how you meet their criteria?
That's about all the direction they gave us. I've been struggling to write something that isn't me just rehashing my essays and primary app

Anyone know what the gym situation is like for GR/EL students?

Thanks! To be more specific I guess, is there a med student gym at all (some schools have this)? Also what about for the GR campus?

anyone know how many have been offered admission so far

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know how many have been offered admission so far
I'm pretty sure Dr. Maurer stated at my interview day that they shoot to offer about 250 (ish) acceptances which should hopefully fill a class of 190-200. Then if further students choose to attend elsewhere then the waitlist folks start getting calls. I'm on the waitlist so I hope now that the traffic rules are in full swing that we see some quick waitlist movement.

On interview day I asked some Grand Rapids students about their campus's gym situation. They unfortunately do not have a gym, and many pay to join local gyms in Grand Rapids like the YMCA.
I live in GR and the closest gym is probably the YMCA to the school, but there are plenty of better options outside of downtown assuming you live a few miles out. I live more on the northwest corner of the area and commuting in doesn't take long at all. I live within 5-10 minutes of 5 or 6 pretty decent gyms/fitness centers. I wouldn't stress too much about the gym thing, there's plenty around GR that won't take you long to get to from Secchia.

I'm pretty sure Dr. Maurer stated at my interview day that they shoot to offer about 250 (ish) acceptances which should hopefully fill a class of 190-200. Then if further students choose to attend elsewhere then the waitlist folks start getting calls. I'm on the waitlist so I hope now that the traffic rules are in full swing that we see some quick waitlist movement.

Another person said they heard Dr. Maurer say they expect to accept no more than 200 by traffic day. I wasn't sure of this accuracy so I was curious if anyone had insider info on exactly how many they accepted so far.

Another person said they heard Dr. Maurer say they expect to accept no more than 200 by traffic day. I wasn't sure of this accuracy so I was curious if anyone had insider info on exactly how many they accepted so far.
Interesting - I just remember him stating that they would accept about 250 or so with the hope that about 200 or so would plan on enrolling. I'm curious what the number is right now and how this waitlist is going to move.

Interesting - I just remember him stating that they would accept about 250 or so with the hope that about 200 or so would plan on enrolling. I'm curious what the number is right now and how this waitlist is going to move.

the funny thing is I literally asked the dean that question during the interview and don't remember what he said lol