2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long are your background checks taking?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha must be that interview day brain!
This is totally a thing. Nothing keeps you from paying attention more than that pre-interview dread and that post interview rush of relief coupled with the desire to get schwifty afterwards. That's why I hardly remember anything about the schools where I interviewed. Or is that just me?

Reactions: 3 users
I’m just dying for April 15/30 to come to see some waitlist movement!! Really hoping to hear back.

Reactions: 4 users
You right you right. I just emailed Christy in financial aid and she said within the next month.

Reactions: 1 users
I just checked my financial aid package and it listed the aid at 40,000 a year. However I remember at my interview day a financial aid representative from the school mentioning a 5,000 dollar grant that medical students were likely to get and did not see that anywhere in the financial aid package. Do any of you remember that grant being mentioned at your visit days as well?

I just checked my financial aid package and it listed the aid at 40,000 a year. However I remember at my interview day a financial aid representative from the school mentioning a 5,000 dollar grant that medical students were likely to get and did not see that anywhere in the financial aid package. Do any of you remember that grant being mentioned at your visit days as well?

I remember her mentioning something about it, but also had nothing. All loans for me.

All loans here too, I wonder if this is our final financial aid package? Scholarship info was due only two days ago, so I'd be surprised if they had already made decisions on those too.

Good luck to all those waiting .....

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, do you know when. the first day of classes are for the medical school?

Anyone have a match list for MSU CHM?

Does anybody know where I can find the estimated COA for each of the four years? The information in this document seems incomplete:
https://finaid.msu.edu/read/budchmShared18.pdf?t=1508873042
Is M2 only 9 months? That does not seem right. Is the estimated COA more accurately about $70,000 for in-state students for each of the four years?

Also, why do they break up the spring and the summer for M1 in that document? That also does not make much sense.

Is M2 only 9 months? That does not seem right. Is the estimated COA more accurately about $70,000 for in-state students for each of the four years?

Also, why do they break up the spring and the summer for M1 in that document? That also does not make much sense.
https://finaid.msu.edu/read/budchmShared19.pdf?t=1542150431 This is a little more complete, and up to date.

I believe they break up spring/summer because it's two different loan disbursements. I think CoA averages out to ~65k per year. Where a lot of schools have the summer between M1/M2 off, CHM goes through the summer and that's where the extra ~20k goes.

Last edited:
what happens after the background check is sent? do we receive a final/official acceptance letter in the mail?

what happens after the background check is sent? do we receive a final/official acceptance letter in the mail?
I got an official acceptance shortly after the background check came back good. I would assume you would get the same

Looks like I'm committing here, hoping to meet everyone soon!

Same. I am not happy about EL assignment. I will likely matriculate elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Assigned to EL campus today and not at all pumped about it, making me seriously consider a couple much more expensive options somebody talk some sense into me ****

Sorry to hear that. Just be thankful you got into medical school! I'm sure a lot of people on the wait list would love to be in your shoes.

Assigned to EL campus today and not at all pumped about it, making me seriously consider a couple much more expensive options somebody talk some sense into me ****

Do what'll make you happy dawg

honestly depends on how much more expensive but also about how miserable youd be at EL. comfort can be detrimental to everything from happiness to academic success but also higher debt can cause future discomfort and increase current stress (damn that rhymes) , so weigh your factors wisely.

Last edited:
Why are ppl bummed about EL so much? Yeah GR has a better building but imo I liked the town of Lansing wayyyy better. Either way you all got into med school and there’s a ton of other ppl that would kill to have your seat

Why are ppl bummed about EL so much? Yeah GR has a better building but imo I liked the town of Lansing wayyyy better. Either way you all got into med school and there’s a ton of other ppl that would kill to have your seat

Agreed. I was shocked so many people wanted GR. It’s so expensive just to survive there.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah that's not a good idea. EL isn't bad and Lansing is actually cool.

I know many people are bummed about EL, but I grew up in Grand Rapids and I've lived in EL the past four years (because I go to undergrad here), so I have a pretty decent understanding of both cities. I actually chose EL for a few reasons, one being research.

There is sooooooo much research in EL. I'm not entirely sure what the situation is like in Grand Rapids, but all of my friends in CHM and COM say most of the research is based in EL because this is where the undergraduate campus is located. It literally took me three email attempts to find the lab I've been working in for the past two years, and I'm graduating with three publications in the works (hopefully they all work out!) I can't imagine it will be any harder to find research opportunities as a med student. I also really want my own apartment. From what I've seen, it's much more feasible having a single apartment in EL than GR. Grand Rapids is cool but it can get expensive.

I think there's pros and cons to both campuses, but EL really isn't as bad as many people think. Either way, we're going to med school!

Is there a chance that those who do their first two years in EL may still get placed at GR for years 3 and 4? And on that note, it may only be for 2 years!

Just asking out of curiosity/trying to help find some comfort for those who didn't get GR, I personally selected EL as well :)

Hey - to anyone from EL or surrounding city/town - do you have any suggestions for apartments around the medical campus? I am not from Michigan, and I am not at all familiar with East Lansing. I will due my due diligence, and search for apartments online. But, I think it is also important to reach out to any natives of the area! Thanks, and your input is much appreciated! To anyone headed to EL campus this fall, I'm looking forward to meeting you :)

Hey - to anyone from EL or surrounding city/town - do you have any suggestions for apartments around the medical campus? I am not from Michigan, and I am not at all familiar with East Lansing. I will due my due diligence, and search for apartments online. But, I think it is also important to reach out to any natives of the area! Thanks, and your input is much appreciated! To anyone headed to EL campus this fall, I'm looking forward to meeting you :)

I know a lot of med students stay in the Berrytree Apartments, and some stay in the Hannah Lofts because it's super close to campus. I think the Hannah Lofts are pretty expensive compared to Berrytree, though. Other than that, there are a ton of options slightly off campus. I'm personally staying somewhere off campus because it's a lot cheaper.

I know a lot of med students stay in the Berrytree Apartments, and some stay in the Hannah Lofts because it's super close to campus. I think the Hannah Lofts are pretty expensive compared to Berrytree, though. Other than that, there are a ton of options slightly off campus. I'm personally staying somewhere off campus because it's a lot cheaper.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

I also got accepted yesterday off the waitlist, and I did not send a LOI. Assigned to the EL campus but debating between this school and NYMC. This seems more affordable and is IS for me which is great but I honestly can’t tell based on ranking/ academics which option is better.

I also got accepted yesterday off the waitlist, and I did not send a LOI. Assigned to the EL campus but debating between this school and NYMC. This seems more affordable and is IS for me which is great but I honestly can’t tell based on ranking/ academics which option is better.

Congratulations to you!! Thank you for answering

I would say you should think about which schools curriculum you like better... CHM and NYMC have vastly different curriculums. Both schools will give you tons of opportunities.
But IMO cost is a huge factor to consider too, NYMC can be an expensive place.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
beautiful day to get off the waitlist... good luck to us all !

• Love