2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an email asking if I’m still interested. Did everyone else on the alternate list receive this?

Reactions: 1 users
Received an email asking if I’m still interested. Did everyone else on the alternate list receive this?

I did and I had just caught up on posts in the waitlist thread. I read your comment from early this morning and immediately thought of you when I got the email lol. I was thinking be like future doc and then the email came.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did and I had just caught up on posts in the waitlist thread. I read your comment from early this morning and immediately thought of you when I got the email lol. I was thinking be like future doc and then the email came.

I wonder why they requested the response to be by tomorrow. I’m thinking a sign for good news to some

I wonder why they requested the response to be by tomorrow. I’m thinking a sign for good news to some
I wondered that too because I thought their commit to enroll date was 7/24. Well as I’m writing this I’m thinking they want more confirmations by that date from waitlisted students. Or maybe students they’ve pulled from the waitlist have moved on. Idk.

Last edited:
I also got this email. I understand that to withdraw your name from consideration you can reply to that email. Would it be wise to send a separate email confirming continued interest in the school?

I also got this email. I understand that to withdraw your name from consideration you can reply to that email. Would it be wise to send a separate email confirming continued interest in the school?
I uploaded a letter of intent to the portal already. I honestly started to reply but I didn’t because the email said no further action was needed and responding would have been an action so yea. I might have been over thinking it.

I wondered that too because I thought their commit to enroll date was 6/24. Well as I’m writing this I’m thinking they want more confirmations by that date from waitlisted students. Or maybe students they’ve pulled from the waitlist have moved on. Idk.

I believe their commit to enroll date is 7/24

Any idea on if there will be any more waitlist movement?

The email I received said there may be a few more coming in, but because it’s been so silent I started to think maybe it won’t happen until after the CTE date.

The worst they can say is they can’t provide the information, but I don’t know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at last years thread and the class was full by about May 23rd and the last posted acceptance from the waitlist was July 10th.

Declined my acceptance offer. Good luck to those still waiting!

Accepted off the alternate list today! Definitely was not expecting this, but so glad it happened! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted off the alternate list today! Definitely was not expecting this, but so glad it happened! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! I’m staying hopeful but I’ll start studying to re-take MCAT. Praying for a call soon :)

Anyone know how long it takes for CHM to get the personal background check and send an official acceptance email? I sent mine in on May 23rd and still haven't received an official acceptance.

Anyone know how long it takes for CHM to get the personal background check and send an official acceptance email? I sent mine in on May 23rd and still haven't received an official acceptance.
Sent May 22nd, processed by MSU June 6th. The rate-limiting step seems to be the responsiveness of local and state court systems to the background check people.

They told me 7-10 days. Not sure if that’s business days-but you should have gotten it by now. I would just call them/email admissions.

Any current students able to weigh in or offer suggestions on Mac vs. Windows-based laptops for use during classes, especially as it relates to using required software programs and general compatibility? From what I've gathered thus far, it seems like either works fine and it comes down to personal preference, but would appreciate a "heads up" if there are any hassles one way or another to be prepared for. Thanks in advance...

Any current students able to weigh in or offer suggestions on Mac vs. Windows-based laptops for use during classes, especially as it relates to using required software programs and general compatibility? From what I've gathered thus far, it seems like either works fine and it comes down to personal preference, but would appreciate a "heads up" if there are any hassles one way or another to be prepared for. Thanks in advance...
I second this. I plan on using my girlfriends mac as my laptop but if there are compatibility issues id like to know so i can plan right now
Can't speak for a Mac, but my SO has had no problems with Windows (3rd year), pretty sure it's fine though. For a Mac, maybe check compatibility with the software in the mailing, make sure you can see everything on justintimemedicine (what's publically available atm anyway), and make sure your preferred STEP review software is compatible (UWorld, Anki, Firecracker etc.). You could arrange with financial aid to get a new computer if needed, though personally, I plan to save that for if I need to replace my computer over the course of 4 years.

Hi guys i just got an offer to MSU EL. Im hesitant because I never visited this campus so any information would be helpful. Also, i will be out of state so the tuition would be crazy high and right now I was set to go to a DO school...

Hi guys i just got an offer to MSU EL. Im hesitant because I never visited this campus so any information would be helpful. Also, i will be out of state so the tuition would be crazy high and right now I was set to go to a DO school...
You could always ask to defer the year to get in state. Idk if they would let you with a late acceptance but you could always ask!

Can't speak for a Mac, but my SO has had no problems with Windows (3rd year), pretty sure it's fine though. For a Mac, maybe check compatibility with the software in the mailing, make sure you can see everything on justintimemedicine (what's publically available atm anyway), and make sure your preferred STEP review software is compatible (UWorld, Anki, Firecracker etc.). You could arrange with financial aid to get a new computer if needed, though personally, I plan to save that for if I need to replace my computer over the course of 4 years.

Thanks for your feedback. All very good points to consider...