2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it is worth it to write a letter of intent for this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if MSUCOM is a silent reject school?

Reactions: 1 user
received packet today but no PIN/PAD or financial info either..

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my acceptance!!! Hope it goes to one of you great peeps still waiting!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone accepted so far! Toured the DMC yesterday and was told that the DMC site was already full and had a waitlist, but when I selected the campus as my first choice, I received an email confirming my site placement at DMC (no waitlist). Just a little update, not sure if I just got lucky and grabbed one of the last spots or if the site is not truly full yet.

Is there a facebook page for class of 2023 yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone accepted so far! Toured the DMC yesterday and was told that the DMC site was already full and had a waitlist, but when I selected the campus as my first choice, I received an email confirming my site placement at DMC (no waitlist). Just a little update, not sure if I just got lucky and grabbed one of the last spots or if the site is not truly full yet.

There is, just search for the page and request to join. What were your thoughts on DMC btw? I have not toured it yet

I HIGHLY doubt that they are full, even thought they say so. Furthermore, a lot of people get MD acceptances and simply drop the DO program.

Has anyone heard about the Macomb site at all? I feel like I've heard a lot about DMC and East Lansing but don't know much about Macomb besides people saying it might be more family friendly. Does anyone know if Macomb has more running trails than Lansing or if Macomb would have different clinical experience first two years? I won't get a chance to tour the site before site selection :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about the Macomb site at all? I feel like I've heard a lot about DMC and East Lansing but don't know much about Macomb besides people saying it might be more family friendly. Does anyone know if Macomb has more running trails than Lansing or if Macomb would have different clinical experience first two years? I won't get a chance to tour the site before site selection :/
Not exactly an answer to your question, but a little more insight to the Macomb campus that was posted on page 9 that may give you some more information:
So to aid on the site review. I was at the Macomb campus. This is in a suburban environment. There’s two big malls right by it and lots of commodities. Fitness facilities, movie theaters, wider range of food, a lot of different types of grocery stores, and best part of all the notorious Hall road. And what I mean by notorious is it’s always under construction. But there are multiple ways around it so don’t worry. The campus itself is the newest one, there is windows everywhere plenty of fall study rooms because we are connected to the community college. Free parking and safe parking! You don’t have to worry about your stuff getting stolen or paying your meter. Downside is that research is a little bit hard to come by but honestly there is three big hospitals right in the area all within 10 miles of the school that you can go get research at if you are proactive about it. I did my research at a clinic literally across the street. It just matters how motivated you are to do anything. Social life on the other hand maybe a downside, there’s a ton of bars here so there’s always something to do but if you’re not really into the bar scene and one more of the college life experience than East Lansing is for you. Macomb also attracts a little bit of the older crowd so if you have families and stuff it’s very good locations to send your kids to school. Housing is affordable. I do not regret my decision going to this campus. It is a hidden gem in my opinion. This point I’m just ranting on, other big thing is that there is windows here and it’s actually a huge thing, I don’t want to be stuck in a building feeling like I’m in a dungeon.
If anybody has any questions, please reach out. Sdn Gets a lot of crap for being malignant according to some people but I’ve gotten some of the best life advice on here . Even if it’s not specific to the Macomb site but to The college itself let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those of you who have interviewed, were there any curveball questions you think it would be a good idea for future interviewees to prepare for?

Interviewing next month and trying to get some practice.

Thank you!

For those of you who have interviewed, were there any curveball questions you think it would be a good idea for future interviewees to prepare for?

Interviewing next month and trying to get some practice.

Thank you!

Reviewing MMI scenarios and your application is good. I was nervous beforehand but there’s really no other way to prepare. I would just practice some MMO scenarios and some classic interview questions too. Nothing was too difficult if you just practice MMI!

How long after your phone call did the tab for that take to show up?

What is the difference be twee wait listed Tier 1 and Tier 2 and the possibility of getting acceptance?

What is the difference be twee wait listed Tier 1 and Tier 2 and the possibility of getting acceptance?

They basically said that all of the tier 1 in the last year were accepted, and half of the tier 2 were accepted.

Can somebody please elaborate their acceptance process? Like what determines your acceptance? Is it 50% application and 50% interview? Extremely discouraged and upset

There is, just search for the page and request to join. What were your thoughts on DMC btw? I have not toured it yet

I really liked the DMC campus, definitely more updated and modern compared to EL. Very professional atmosphere. They also really emphasized how safe the campus is, you have to scan into almost every hallway or door to gain access. Secured parking lot for students across the street and study rooms open 24 hours. The students also said they enjoy how close Wayne State is when it comes to food options or even using some of their facilities (like their library or student housing). Their advice was if you have any interest in the DMC campus, select the site now because it fills up the fastest. You can switch sites up to 1 time so if you do decide MUC/EL is a better fit you will have no issue switching in the spring since DMC is in such high demand with long waitlist. :)

Is it too late to submit an application here? I only recently started looking into DO schools, as my premed advisors all represented DO to me as not being a viable option, but after reading about it I feel like I would be a good fit for a DO program. I just want to know if I have any chance this late in the cycle. LM 79

Is it too late to submit an application here? I only recently started looking into DO schools, as my premed advisors all represented DO to me as not being a viable option, but after reading about it I feel like I would be a good fit for a DO program. I just want to know if I have any chance this late in the cycle. LM 79
There are only a handful of interview days left and it doesn't sound like you have much reason to be applying to DO schools. As an out-of-state applicant (do you know how high the tuition is?) I wouldn't apply at this time. Is there some chance that an application at this time could be successful, though? Yes.

I picked it as my top choice too and got waitlisted for DMC, but the said I got on there early so . Honestly Macomb campus is nice, it’s just a farther drive.

Anyone know if accepting a scholarship offer is binding with regards to enrollment? Its a nice offer that would go a long way towards the hefty OOS tuition, but I have at least one more MD II coming up. So obviously I would like to see how that plays out.

Anyone know if accepting a scholarship offer is binding with regards to enrollment? Its a nice offer that would go a long way towards the hefty OOS tuition, but I have at least one more MD II coming up. So obviously I would like to see how that plays out.

I’m in the same boat and the Non resident scholarship is really nice but I have one instate MD decision coming mid January I would like to wait for first... don’t know what to do because I have to make the deposit by the first week in January

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been complete since 10/5. In state URM with 505 Mcat, 3.6 GPA with good ECs. I know there are only a few interviews left, if I haven’t received a II yet, is it because I applied too late? Thanks guys.

II just now! So excited since this is my top choice! Complete 8/25

I’ve been complete since 10/5. In state URM with 505 Mcat, 3.6 GPA with good ECs. I know there are only a few interviews left, if I haven’t received a II yet, is it because I applied too late? Thanks guys.

Don't lose faith. I don't think you're late at all. Hang in there, MSUCOM take longer to review files. It will be all worth it in the end :)

Been complete since 8/15. C'mon MSUCOM you're killing me here....

Been complete since 8/15. C'mon MSUCOM you're killing me here....

I feel your pain... been complete since 8/8 .. really thought I would hear back from them pretty early ... 4 months later and still crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone that interviewed here send a thank you email or card? and if so, who did you forward it to?

Did anyone that interviewed here send a thank you email or card? and if so, who did you forward it to?
I chose not to as it was an MMI format.

I sent a general thank you email to the admissions office. I think it's a good idea, as this will be attached to your file and viewed by the adcoms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

You can. Doesn't hurt but it certainly isn't required or expected. They're shared with the interviewers who certainly appreciate reading the kind words (but don't typically remember who you are from just the brief encounter though...). ;)

I hope everyone who is waiting to hear back gets in!! I also hope a lot of you smart people get in to other schools higher on your personal lists so Tier 1 wait list people like myself get pulled up sooner :p

Happy Holidays :)

Interview scheduled for 1/16.

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
does MSU accept pre-II updates for fall grades?

does MSU accept pre-II updates for fall grades?

Yes they do! Just upload your unofficial transcript pdf which you can get from your school's registrar's office and upload them in the upload files section

I got the acceptance call in the morning!

Reactions: 4 users