2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I would really recommend meeting with an advisor, attending a webinar, or any other MSU COM events since it really shows you have interest in the school. Also, don't feel discouraged if you don't receive an II right away. I was complete pretty early in the cycle (like mid July) and heard absolutely nothing until March...had my interview a couple of weeks after receiving my II (I think I was one of the last interview days) and was accepted about 2 weeks later, no waitlist. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I would really recommend meeting with an advisor, attending a webinar, or any other MSU COM events since it really shows you have interest in the school. Also, don't feel discouraged if you don't receive an II right away. I was complete pretty early in the cycle (like mid July) and heard absolutely nothing until March...had my interview a couple of weeks after receiving my II (I think I was one of the last interview days) and was accepted about 2 weeks later, no waitlist. Good luck!!
Were you IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratss to everyone who received a II! On a side note, I submitted my app on 07/02/2018 and have the application fee waived on 07/23/2018. The application is now marked as completed on 07/31/2018. When does your application mark as complete?

mine was only missing MCAT score for a more than a month(from june 6th), once I sent the score in, it was marked complete 2 days later (7/20/2018).

Last edited:
7/08 no II 3.52 cGPA 3.34 sGPA MCAT 506

Retook MCAT August 4th. Guess I'm out of luck if people later than me are getting interviews.

History repeats itself as always
Its way too early to say that. A lot of schools will wait for a new score if you indicate you're retaking, you might not even be considered complete for them yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Completed 6/26, OOS with average stats, wondering when they'll let me know :unsure:

Anyone have any idea of the interview to acceptance ratio?

Anyone have any idea of the interview to acceptance ratio?

I remember in my interview with MSUCOM last year they had a particular slide in their presentation that depicted the ratio of accepted students among those interviewed as a pie chart. Literally, they accepted roughly 2/3 of those interviewed total. Remaining 1/3 were either rejected or waitlisted. Unfortuantely I was the latter 1/3 (waitlisted, tier 3) and eventually didn't get in :(.

On a positive note, just got a interview invite today a few minutes ago for August 30th. Here we go round 2!

Reactions: 6 users
Its way too early to say that. A lot of schools will wait for a new score if you indicate you're retaking, you might not even be considered complete for them yet.

my chances are going to dwindle then because they need to receive my score right

I remember in my interview with MSUCOM last year they had a particular slide in their presentation that depicted the ratio of accepted students among those interviewed as a pie chart. Literally, they accepted roughly 2/3 of those interviewed total. Remaining 1/3 were either rejected or waitlisted. Unfortuantely I was the latter 1/3 (waitlisted, tier 3) and eventually didn't get in :(.

On a positive note, just got a interview invite today a few minutes ago for August 30th. Here we go round 2!

Good luck my friend I had a friend in a similar position 2 year ago, got in on their second try. I hope you beefed up your app!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck my friend I had a friend in a similar position 2 year ago, got in on their second try. I hope you beefed up your app!

Yep I definitely did! It's so weird too because also on that interview day last year, all 5 students on the student panel got into MSUCOM on their second try.

Yep I definitely did! It's so weird too because also on that interview day last year, all 5 students on the student panel got into MSUCOM on their second try.
My friend had a pretty good gpa (3.8ish) mcat of 505 but he also applied late the first time around . if you are around those stats you should be good

Is a 503 and 3.87 gpa competitive enough for this school?

Is a 503 and 3.87 gpa competitive enough for this school?
The GPA is more than great and will likely even out your MCAT. However, admissions does tend to prefer higher MCAT scores and has a stricter standard for what is acceptable. Current average is 505-507 (and in old number context that would be like you having a 26 while their average was more like 28.5). Not a deal breaker but will be taken in the context of the rest of your application.

Do I have a shot? 3.2 GPA 521 MCAT. Out of state, but attend college in Ohio with tons of family in Michigan. Sent secondary in about a week ago

Do I have a shot? 3.2 GPA 521 MCAT. Out of state, but attend college in Ohio with tons of family in Michigan. Sent secondary in about a week ago

521 bro u serious. You good

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on the great MCAT score. I had a similarly high MCAT and a similarly low GPA and it was a tough battle to find a good med school spot. I think you'll easily find a good DO school and potentially have some luck at lower tier MD programs but wouldn't bank on too much love from MSUCOM as an OOS student, unfortunately. If you were in-state I would almost guarantee an interview, though. Certainly not impossible, but there's a really great pool of OOS candidates that they have to be pretty picky about who to invite.

I've already seen a ton of support and advice from current MSUCOM students as well as some that may have already graduated which is awesome! Those that are still applying, read through the thread and really take our two cents. I wanna add in by saying that I applied to MSUCOM three times. And I sent in my forth application as I was on the waitlist earlier this May. A couple weeks after, I was accepted off the waitlist. The point is, keep going and be persistent if this is what you want to be. It will be worth it. And do not stress about not getting an interview yet or getting accepted yet or even getting on the waitlist. I got rejected twice, waitlisted once and then accepted. I know it doesn't sound like much fun, waiting all year to receive an interview in March and get accepted in May. But once you're here and have started, that really won't matter at all.

That being said, since I had a nice year to just wait around, my advice is on what you can do in the meantime. If it's redoing your MCAT, just focus on that and get the score you need. Volunteer or work or get involved in research. Keep your CV updated and keep updating MSUCOM as well. Also.... cannot emphasize this enough but SHADOW A DO. I did that as well in late fall of the cycle. Shadowed for a few months and had him write me a letter. If you're an East Lansing local or near the area, it won't hurt if you can even find an MSUCOM alumnus physician. Definitely attend the see the sites days (even if you've already been, go again). Talk to the advisors and keeeeeep in touch. I did and she really encouraged me to just keep my hopes up and that things look really good. If you can't do much about your GPA or MCAT for the year that you wait, do something else. Any little thing you can do to show that you're staying involved with your community or helping others or getting exposure to osteopathic medicine will only help you. Give them no room to rule you out.

Lastly, reach out to any of us on here. We've been in your shoes. Some have gotten in right away post undergrad and gone on to live their dreams. Some have had a few years between the two and struggled to get in at all. We all have unique experiences and can offer you something. Don't be discouraged, and I know that's very hard not to do while you're waiting in silence, believe me. But if you keep working on little things that you can add to your CV and keep getting involved in any MSUCOM events, the time will pass. You guys have got this. If you get in this cycle, hell yeah congrats. If you don't, it's okay. I didn't either twice and was prepared for a third time. Just keep fighting for you, this is YOUR dream.

Reactions: 4 users
Any interview tips from past interviewers/students?

My app has been complete since 7/31 and still waiting to hear back for an II. Hopeful as heck because I'd love to go here!

Any interview tips from past interviewers/students?
Sure. Be calm, confident, personable, and thoughtful in your responses. I would practice going through some practice questions (below) with friends/family to see how well you're able to articulate an answer within a few minutes. Though you can't explicitly prepare for the specific things you'll see on your interview day, getting in the habit of succinctly organizing your thoughts like this may be helpful. :)

Here's some information about the process and some practice questions:
The Multiple Mini-Interview for Medical School Admissions | Student Doctor Network
McGill Practice Questions: https://www.mcgill.ca/caps/files/caps/guide_mmi-stations.pdf
UBC Practice Questions: http://science-student.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2014/01/Sample-Questions-2013-2014.pdf
U Calgary Practice Questions: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/2008_09-mmi-cases.pdf

McMaster also provides the following information that might give you some insight into the process (at least at their program, but feel free to generalize).
https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/docs/...viewer-manual-mmi_websiteversion.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received today!

Application complete: 8/1/18
Application verified: 8/10/18

Any current students here that can comment on how the interviews are like? much appreciated

Any current students here that can comment on how the interviews are like? much appreciated
Presentation, followed by a group scenario/MMI, then tour. That's pretty much all anyone is going to be able to tell ya!

Presentation, followed by a group scenario/MMI, then tour. That's pretty much all anyone is going to be able to tell ya!

will there be the traditional one-on-one interview with the silly questions I.e "why medecine?" or "tell me about yourself?" ?

will there be the traditional one-on-one interview with the silly questions I.e "why medecine?" or "tell me about yourself?" ?
No, there are not "traditional" interviews (though the MMI does have a broad variety of possible stations - some sillier than others). Just the presentation, tour, and MMI as @femmegoblue mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I submit primary without LOR's? I'm waiting on a DO LOR, as I still need to shadow them.

And in what way am I able to update the school with things going on in my life? Do I literally just email them saying: "I just did this/I just did that."?

Also, I am applying for the 2019 cycle, I am currently taking a Post-Bacc, and will include that in my primary. Is this something I can also update them along the way as well?

Hi Femmegoblue,

In terms of the group scenario portion of the day, is it a sit-down with current MSUCOM students to ask questions? Or is it a teamwork MMI station where multiple candidates are assessed on a topic, in the presence of 1 interviewer?

Can I submit primary without LOR's? I'm waiting on a DO LOR, as I still need to shadow them.

And in what way am I able to update the school with things going on in my life? Do I literally just email them saying: "I just did this/I just did that."?

Also, I am applying for the 2019 cycle, I am currently taking a Post-Bacc, and will include that in my primary. Is this something I can also update them along the way as well?
Yes, I would submit ASAP.

There should be a place in the secondary application portal that allows you to send in updates/upload files.

Yep, you can certainly send in updated transcripts or other information as it comes along.

Hope that helps!

thank you so much for the quick reply SpartanWolverine!

One more question :O, I'm taking the MCAT in a couple weeks, so I don't have a score in my application, but I can indicate the Test Date and show them I'm taking it in the near future. Should I still send my primary or wait until I get my score back?

Thank you again, really!

One more question :O, I'm taking the MCAT in a couple weeks, so I don't have a score in my application, but I can indicate the Test Date and show them I'm taking it in the near future. Should I still send my primary or wait until I get my score back?

Thank you again, really!
Definitely send in your primary!! You can always add schools later if you’re worried about your score. You don’t want to get your score back then have to wait longer to have everything verified

Thank you again, really!
Definitely send in your primary!! You can always add schools later if you’re worried about your score. You don’t want to get your score back then have to wait longer to have everything verified
Agreed!

@mlock1998 @SpartanWolverine

I see. The reason I am asking is because I have an old MCAT score that is VERY low, and I heard that if you submit your primary, some schools see your application as "complete" and use your old MCAT score to make a decision, even though I mentioned an upcoming MCAT. This would actually screw me over big time.

I indicated that I am taking the upcoming MCAT soon, but am worried that they will not wait for the new score to make a decision... :(

What do you guys think I should do then? Should I just add one school that I have no interest in, so I can just get my application verified? And then add more schools after I get my new score?

Thank you again!!!!!

I see. The reason I am asking is because I have an old MCAT score that is VERY low, and I heard that if you submit your primary, some schools see your application as "complete" and use your old MCAT score to make a decision, even though I mentioned an upcoming MCAT. This would actually screw me over big time.

I indicated that I am taking the upcoming MCAT soon, but am worried that they will not wait for the new score to make a decision... :(

What do you guys think I should do then? Should I just add one school that I have no interest in, so I can just get my application verified? And then add more schools after I get my new score?

Thank you again!!!!!
Yes just add a school you don’t care about. You just don’t want to be delayed so far back because of verification. Good luck on your upcoming mcat :)

Hi Femmegoblue,

In terms of the group scenario portion of the day, is it a sit-down with current MSUCOM students to ask questions? Or is it a teamwork MMI station where multiple candidates are assessed on a topic, in the presence of 1 interviewer?
I heard it’s like a group activity with other the people being interviewed & they evaluate on how everyone works with the group. I don’t think this group activity is as important as the MMI stations.

Hi Femmegoblue,

There is a portion of the day where you have time to ask MSUCOM students questions just for your benefit! :)

Thank you again!!!!!
Hmm, that's a situation I'm not particularly sure of. I would contact admissions to get their input.

Yes just add a school you don’t care about. You just don’t want to be delayed so far back because of verification. Good luck on your upcoming mcat :)

Looks like that's what I will go ahead and do, thank you so much for your help! :)

Hmm, that's a situation I'm not particularly sure of. I would contact admissions to get their input.

Oh alright no worries, I will go ahead and call them today and see what I can do! Thank you so much for your advice!

Should I be able to see the clinical experiences I've saved so far on the secondary? I've clicked insert before typing anything and then save, it says "saved successfully" but I don't see anything actually saved.

Thank you!!

Should I be able to see the clinical experiences I've saved so far on the secondary? I've clicked insert before typing anything and then save, it says "saved successfully" but I don't see anything actually saved.

Thank you!!
Yes you should be able to see all of them listed & the description you wrote about them

Alright my secondary was said to be complete on 7/31 and i still havent heard back for an interview... dont know if i should give up yet or no. 508 3.9 this is my top DO school :(

Don’t worry so much. The season has just started. I know it sucks right now because you’re constantly refreshing your email to check for stuff but try to avoid that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
It's definitely as important as the MMI scenarios, I've seen many a student show their true (not so good) colors in this scenario!

I always wondered about this. I remembered the group activity last year at my interview with MSUCOM, and we didn't really get to the "goal" or desired "end-result" (not even close, it seemed impossible to accomplish in the allotted time).

In cases like these, does the accomplished end-result even matter? I don't wanna disclose what the actual group activity was, but physically the activity was just plainly impossible to accomplish within the time limit. If so, what's considered (or what do you think) a negative red flag that you should not do in a group activity? Because in these situations you can only do so much.