2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI to applicants. A COCA actions report came out and MSU is currently on heighten monitoring. As to the reasons, I'm unaware
What does this mean exactly? They're being watched to keep a certain standard?

Members don't see this ad.

FYI to applicants. A COCA actions report came out and MSU is currently on heighten monitoring. As to the reasons, I'm unaware
Can you link a source?

Edit: Nevermind, posted on the COM website:
"Following a regularly scheduled accreditation review and site visit, MSUCOM was found to be compliant with 59 of 61 elements and reaccredited by the COCA through 2022. Two curricular areas were identified as requiring further documentation; these included application of osteopathic principles and interprofessional education across each year of the curriculum. In accordance with the established rubric developed by the COCA, MSUCOM was granted continuing accreditation with heightened monitoring and will submit a mid-cycle report in 2020 to document actions taken to address compliance with COCA standards."

IMO, basically fluff. IPE and 'application of osteopathic principles' means very little. They actually do make an effort to have interprofessional education and they push osteopathic principles a little more than I care(d) for.

Reactions: 1 user
upload_2018-10-16_19-18-58.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the 10/10 interview group hear back yet? The wait is killing me I can't focus on anything else :dead:

No II's recently? I feel like this school is backed up on schedule

Reactions: 2 users
thanks fam, but probably not going to attend it. I didn't realize the tuition and the other stuff before applying lol

lmao same. i applied to somewhere in florida then when it came the time to schedule the flight i thought i played myself and cancelled

II today, OOS complete around September 10.

Kinda hesitant about accepting this interview. Can anyone tell me about the curriculum, if its pass/fail, the learning environment etc?? I would be flying all the way from Hawaii ($700 round trip ticket). Does anyone know when the deposit is due after you are accepted? Still waiting to hear back from a ton of schools so I don't wanna be dropping a deposit super early (if I get accepted of course...just trying to think ahead). Just kinda need someone to convince me its worth the money (-:

Kinda hesitant about accepting this interview. Can anyone tell me about the curriculum, if its pass/fail, the learning environment etc?? I would be flying all the way from Hawaii ($700 round trip ticket). Does anyone know when the deposit is due after you are accepted? Still waiting to hear back from a ton of schools so I don't wanna be dropping a deposit super early (if I get accepted of course...just trying to think ahead). Just kinda need someone to convince me its worth the money (-:

It is pass fail with Quintile rankings. On that note. Learning is pretty easy to do here. You get video recorded lectures and depending on the campus you tend social experience may vary. Very good hospital association‘s and is a huge primary care School, and even if you’re not into that you are in the most osteopathic friendly state. There is multiple fellowships in the SCS systems of Michigan State which do you prefer their own. I’d say it’s Worth it, I am a fourth-year so I know things have changed in deposit but I hope some of the first years can comment
on that..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

First year here! If I remember correctly I interviewed in November last year and had until February to pay my deposit, but the sooner you pay the sooner you get to pick your site. If you want to be at the Detroit site your best bet is to pay earlier because it fills up the quickest. Like Dr. Jekyll75 said, I think the learning environment is great. I've found it pretty easy to do well here. What we are expected to know for each exam is very well laid out which is nice. It's also connected to a big university which has a lot of research opportunities if you are interested in that.

Reactions: 4 users
First year here! If I remember correctly I interviewed in November last year and had until February to pay my deposit, but the sooner you pay the sooner you get to pick your site. If you want to be at the Detroit site your best bet is to pay earlier because it fills up the quickest. Like Dr. Jekyll75 said, I think the learning environment is great. I've found it pretty easy to do well here. What we are expected to know for each exam is very well laid out which is nice. It's also connected to a big university which has a lot of research opportunities if you are interested in that.

could you please comment on the pros/cons of Detroit vs EL site?

Yeah! So I'm in EL for reference. For me it seemed like EL was the smart choice because most of the lectures seem to come from here. So if you're in Detroit they will be streamed to you on tvs and projectors. This might be less important to you if you plan on streaming non mandatory lectures at home, but I like to go to class so it's nice to have the professor on site. There are a fair number of lectures that come from DMC and Macomb though so you will still get live lectures there. I also think most of the clubs are based out of EL and the events are mostly here also but I haven't had time to go to many events so I'm not sure. Personally though I don't really like the city of east lansing so sometimes I wish I picked DMC, but I don't have time outside of class to do much anyways so the city doesn't matter too much. Also, DMC is in a hospital so I'm sure there are some perks to that. Lastly, I like to bike/walk to class and its pretty easy to do here, not sure about DMC though. Sorry for the wall of text haha. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer more!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah! So I'm in EL for reference. For me it seemed like EL was the smart choice because most of the lectures seem to come from here. So if you're in Detroit they will be streamed to you on tvs and projectors. This might be less important to you if you plan on streaming non mandatory lectures at home, but I like to go to class so it's nice to have the professor on site. There are a fair number of lectures that come from DMC and Macomb though so you will still get live lectures there. I also think most of the clubs are based out of EL and the events are mostly here also but I haven't had time to go to many events so I'm not sure. Personally though I don't really like the city of east lansing so sometimes I wish I picked DMC, but I don't have time outside of class to do much anyways so the city doesn't matter too much. Also, DMC is in a hospital so I'm sure there are some perks to that. Lastly, I like to bike/walk to class and its pretty easy to do here, not sure about DMC though. Sorry for the wall of text haha. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer more!

So to aid on the site review. I was at the Macomb campus. This is in a suburban environment. There’s two big malls right by it and lots of commodities. Fitness facilities, movie theaters, wider range of food, a lot of different types of grocery stores, and best part of all the notorious Hall road. And what I mean by notorious is it’s always under construction. But there are multiple ways around it so don’t worry. The campus itself is the newest one, there is windows everywhere plenty of fall study rooms because we are connected to the community college. Free parking and safe parking! You don’t have to worry about your stuff getting stolen or paying your meter. Downside is that research is a little bit hard to come by but honestly there is three big hospitals right in the area all within 10 miles of the school that you can go get research at if you are proactive about it. I did my research at a clinic literally across the street. It just matters how motivated you are to do anything. Social life on the other hand maybe a downside, there’s a ton of bars here so there’s always something to do but if you’re not really into the bar scene and one more of the college life experience than East Lansing is for you. Macomb also attracts a little bit of the older crowd so if you have families and stuff it’s very good locations to send your kids to school. Housing is affordable. I do not regret my decision going to this campus. It is a hidden gem in my opinion. This point I’m just ranting on, other big thing is that there is windows here and it’s actually a huge thing, I don’t want to be stuck in a building feeling like I’m in a dungeon.
If anybody has any questions, please reach out. Sdn Gets a lot of crap for being malignant according to some people but I’ve gotten some of the best life advice on here . Even if it’s not specific to the Macomb site but to The college itself let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

Just to comment on the DMC site further, I live nearby and have toured the place. There's plenty of fun things to do around midtown Detroit and the area in general has been seeing a burst of restaurants and bars popping up. I have a few friends who are M2's and M1's at DMC and Macomb and the only downside to DMC or Macomb is the lack of being involved in some of the clubs, however, that doesn't mean you can't participate. There's also the lectures being streamed but they have a high tech system that compensates. When I had my interview they assured there was no difference between test scores etc between DMC/Macomb sites and EL.

I've been super busy and late on submitting my applications. I'm still working on the secondary for MSUCOM do you guys think its too late for me to submit my secondary and I shouldn't even bother applying? 3.71 gpa 501 MCAT alot of ec's. Please let me know your opinion thanks

I've been super busy and late on submitting my applications. I'm still working on the secondary for MSUCOM do you guys think its too late for me to submit my secondary and I shouldn't even bother applying? 3.71 gpa 501 MCAT alot of ec's. Please let me know your opinion thanks
Michigan resident? As of today the interviews are just about half over. Your GPA is great but the MCAT would definitely hurt you. Honestly it's a gamble but you might as well submit if you're genuinely interested in the program.

Michigan resident? As of today the interviews are just about half over. Your GPA is great but the MCAT would definitely hurt you. Honestly it's a gamble but you might as well submit if you're genuinely interested in the program.
Yeah I'm a Michigan resident. Thanks for the reply

Does anyone know how many Canadians have been interviewed/accepted?[/QUOTE
Can’t give you an accurate number, but I think I’ve seen like 4 or 5 Canadians comment on this thread saying they were accepted. (I’m one of them)

For the question "How would you like to be remembered by your friends, family, and community?" Do you write about how you want to remembered at the end of your life or do you only focus on things up to this point in life? And is it ok to write it in third person? Thank you

For the question "How would you like to be remembered by your friends, family, and community?" Do you write about how you want to remembered at the end of your life or do you only focus on things up to this point in life? And is it ok to write it in third person? Thank you
I wrote it as being remembered after passing away. I broke it into how I wanted to be remembered by different groups (family, friends, community, etc.) Personally, I didn't use third person, but cannot comment on how others wrote it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Has anyone received an invite with a sub 500 score from here? I was complete 7/1. Very good ECs, masters in anatomy, teaching experience, clinical, 2,500 research hours.

Received an email, waitlisted Tier 2. What are my chances of getting off? This school is my top choice.. Also, If I call do they tell you where you stand on the waitlist?

Received an email, waitlisted Tier 2. What are my chances of getting off? This school is my top choice.. Also, If I call do they tell you where you stand on the waitlist?
According to statistics of the past 2 years, 50%. When did you interview? IS or OOS?

Yikes.. guess being hopeful would be pretty foolish. Might as well accept KCUMB until then. I interviewed Oct. 10th, and I am a Canadian Applicant.
According to statistics of the past 2 years, 50%. When did you interview? IS or OOS?

The cycle can be tough for Canadians, but a waitlist is better than a denial I suppose. Also, from what I've heard, the Canadian waitlist is dealt with separately from the American waitlist.

I submitted my application in September, but never received a secondary... Does that mean there's no hope for me? I am OOS. 2.7 uGRAD GPA, 3.3 medical masters program GPA, 507 MCAT, URM if that really even matters...

I submitted my application in September, but never received a secondary... Does that mean there's no hope for me? I am OOS. 2.7 uGRAD GPA, 3.3 medical masters program GPA, 507 MCAT, URM if that really even matters...
Call. They send their secondary to everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Call. They send their secondary to everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Excuse me if I’m speaking nonsense, but I was perusing the website today and under their “make an appointment” link to review your application and get advice, it says to only make an appointment if you didn’t receive a secondary. So it makes me think not everyone gets one, but I could definitely be wrong. DO programs tend to forgive UG GPA’s if you show a strong upward trend with a SMP. Also your MCAT is at the upper end of their average. URM status also helps. They do mention that while the deadline is 12/1 they suggest submitting the primary by 9/1. Concur with Astharia about calling though.

Hi friends -- recent grad here. Happy to answer questions you may have about interviewing, preclerkship years, clerkship years, and/or things related to residency coming from MSU! I'm a few years out from some of this but expect current students will also be around. Best of luck with the app cycle!

Current 2nd year here, also happy to help with any questions regarding preclerkships and the school. Best of luck!

I am interviewing in a few weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to approach interactive or role plating MMI's? Is there like a general strategy I could apply? What other general advice could you all provide for interviewing at MSUCOM?

Excuse me if I’m speaking nonsense, but I was perusing the website today and under their “make an appointment” link to review your application and get advice, it says to only make an appointment if you didn’t receive a secondary. So it makes me think not everyone gets one, but I could definitely be wrong. DO programs tend to forgive UG GPA’s if you show a strong upward trend with a SMP. Also your MCAT is at the upper end of their average. URM status also helps. They do mention that while the deadline is 12/1 they suggest submitting the primary by 9/1. Concur with Astharia about calling though.

I attended a few advising sessions. I think it is more so to discourage students who are far into the application cycle from scheduling a session. I don't think its allowed at all actually. One of my advising sessions was before my application was complete due to a late MCAT. So at that time my primary was submitted but I was still incomplete. I don't think it is to imply that certain people do not get a secondary because the first appt was during undergrad and of course I hadn't received a secondary. Lol

I am interviewing in a few weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to approach interactive or role plating MMI's? Is there like a general strategy I could apply? What other general advice could you all provide for interviewing at MSUCOM?

The best advice I can give is to research some typical/common MMI scenarios online (youtube has a couple good videos that I used) and to just be your self. The MMI has a way of seeing what you’re actually like deeper than your typical one on one interview with superficial questions, so just be your best self you can be!

Best of luck!

This is a really reasonable way to think about role playing scenarios.

As @Scrubs101 said, the best thing to do is to be yourself. Have some personality. Try to be empathetic. Show that you're someone with the right attitude and experiences to be a good physician. You'll be tested on your ability to think critically and communicate -- and I'm sure you have those skills if you've made it this far!

Hey guys, my secondary was complete on Sept 24th. havent received an II. I'm a canadian applicant. Did I apply too late? has anyone heard back that received a complete email around the same time?

Hey guys, my secondary was complete on Sept 24th. havent received an II. I'm a canadian applicant. Did I apply too late? has anyone heard back that received a complete email around the same time?

Hey I submitted my secondary the next day (sept 25) and was marked complete. I haven't heard back either yet :(

Last edited:
just got the acceptance call today. II on 10/10. I am really excited but man their cost of attendance an as an OOS is insane. Anyone comment on any available scholarships to cut down cost ?? I really loved the school.

just got the acceptance call today. II on 10/10. I am really excited but man their cost of attendance an as an OOS is insane. Anyone comment on any available scholarships to cut down cost ?? I really loved the school.
Congrats! Mind on sharing credentials??