2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
verified 5/24. Maryland resident. That OOS tuition though :dead:

undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28

MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)

Secondary received!

Edit: submitted 6/19

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

Edit: secondary submitted 6/18, application complete 6/19.

Last edited:
Secondary received as well!

EDIT: Submitted June 19th.

Last edited:
Current third year. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask

How have you liked the entire culture at CCOM? Many gunners? Collaborative?
How did you like your first two years of didactic learning? - a lot of memorizing or actual learning and good recall?

Where you originally from the Chicago area?
If not, how was the change from where you lived to Chicago?
Fun things to do? What you did in your spare time, etc...

Thanks in advance for the insight!

I'd like to know how CCOM treats OMM learning. Are there initiatives/electives that allow for more OMM learning or emphasis?

Thank you for your willingness to share with us!

Thanks for making yourself available for questions. Are there are student-run or student-assisted clinics that CCOM students can participate in? I don't see much on the website except for one clinic that features "graduate-level students." I am applying to CCOM and hoping to find some ways to get involved in the community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making yourself available for questions. Are there are student-run or student-assisted clinics that CCOM students can participate in? I don't see much on the website except for one clinic that features "graduate-level students." I am applying to CCOM and hoping to find some ways to get involved in the community.

There is a volunteer-run clinic in Chicago that students can volunteer at where you get a chance to practice OMM on patients at the clinic. There is also a Community Health Clinic where students can volunteer at as well. I haven’t done either of them though. I’m a 2nd year btw so I’m available to answer any questions as well.

There is a volunteer-run clinic in Chicago that students can volunteer at where you get a chance to practice OMM on patients at the clinic. There is also a Community Health Clinic where students can volunteer at as well. I haven’t done either of them though. I’m a 2nd year btw so I’m available to answer any questions as well.
Great, will look around for these a bit more then. Thanks!

Hi there! Are you IS or OOS? I’m OOS and honestly am having a hard time thinking about that tuition price tag

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
OOS. It’s a private institution so it doesn’t matter as the tuition is the same. Honestly, while some situations warrant a heavy consideration on the tuition, it shouldn’t be the end all be all for most people. You’re paying for all of the rotation sites in the city to be with UIC, Rush, Loyola, etc. At the end of the day, every physician will be in debt and will work to pay it off, and no one will default. So what if it takes you a bit longer ‍♂️

I'd like to know how CCOM treats OMM learning. Are there initiatives/electives that allow for more OMM learning or emphasis?

Thank you for your willingness to share with us!
During the first two years, you’ll have mandatory OMM lab once a week as well as a lecture that becomes mandatory some weeks. If you’re really into OMM, there are several opportunities to get more exposure; the student run soft tissue clinic on campus, the OMM campus organization, conferences, the community OMM clinic (old Irving park), and the chance to apply to be an OMM fellow

Hello everyone, starting at CCOM this fall.

If you have any questions about application process, feel free to ask!

I submitted my app in August and got accepted in January, so it’s a long cycle.

Also wanted to give a little hope to those with lower MCAT. Got a score lower than their average (506), but still got accepted.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received yesterday. Will submit this week.

Also wanted to give a little hope to those with lower MCAT. Got a score lower than their average (506), but still got accepted.

Good luck!
when did you get an interview? stats?

Secondary submitted, still have to wait for my committee letter to be submitted though : /

How have you liked the entire culture at CCOM?
It is what you make of it. There are students that love being on campus and socializing, and there are students who only come to campus for exams and labs, then leave as quickly as possible.

Many gunners? Collaborative?
Actual gunners (students who purposely sabotage their classmates) are far and few. There are students at all schools that slip through the cracks and are just bad humans, but you quickly learn to avoid them. Nevertheless, a lot of students will share info, documents, tables, outlines, drawings, flash cards on the class Facebook page.

How did you like your first two years of didactic learning? - a lot of memorizing or actual learning and good recall?
For some students it’s tough. I went from studying from exam to exam and could never get ahead. In terms of learning and recall, there are tons of resources for free and for purchase. No two students used the same resources so it’s up to you to decide what works and what doesn’t.

It’s Chicago. There’s always something to do.

How have you liked the entire culture at CCOM? Many gunners? Collaborative?

Where you originally from the Chicago area?
If not, how was the change from where you lived to Chicago?

Thanks in advance for the insight!
The culture is great, everyone is in the same
boat and wants to see each other succeed. We’ll share notes, study guides, tips, etc with eachother. You’ll always have some gunners in your class, but you just gotta remember that grades don’t really mean much anymore now that you’re in.

As far as didactic goes, there will be classes you like and others you absolutely hate. Despite never attending a single lecture, I did fine going through the note packets and found that I was able to recall and piece together a lot of information in a clinical setting.

I am originally from florida, and it was a change, particularly in the sense that everything in the city is fast paced as opposed to the laid back culture of my hometown. During first year, you’ll get every Friday off and I went out every week. It’s all about balance. There is plenty to do/explore in Chicago and I’m still finding new things

Good luck!
Hi! Thanks again for your help! I'd like to know what struck you during your visit to Grove campus? What do you feel Midwestern offers that is special to you or to students in general? Do you like the campus and facilities? What didn't you find so special or appealing? How is the surrounding city and night life? Young life? Retired folks?

Feel free to answer all or none of previous questions! Thank you so much.

Is it OK to add experiences to my resume that were not mentioned in my AACOMAS app? There are two volunteer experiences that I added onto the resume I plan on submitting to CCOM. I initially left them out of my AACOMAS app due to the hours not being very significant (15-20 hours each).

So I visited the campus a few times before my interview, and every time I went there, what struck me is the friendliness of all the people and their willingness to help. Also, it was really nice to pharmacy students, dental students, PT students, etc. on the same campus because as hopeful doctors, we will be working with all these professionals in the future.

MWU offers excellent rotations and the opportunity to work with students in many different fields. Also, it’s a very reputed school. I’m sure some of the current students can elaborate more on this, since I haven’t started.

I really like the campus. It’s a bigger campus and there’s a lot of green spaces which is nice.

I think the quarter system is something I don’t like because I’m used to a semester system. Things are a bit more fast paced in quarter systems.

The campus is in Downers Grove which is a typical large city suburb. I don’t think there’s a large retired population there. You’ll find plenty of things to do since Chicago is 45 minutes away and there’s a lot of restaurants near the campus too.

Hi! Thanks again for your help! I'd like to know what struck you during your visit to Grove campus? What do you feel Midwestern offers that is special to you or to students in general? Do you like the campus and facilities? What didn't you find so special or appealing? How is the surrounding city and night life? Young life? Retired folks?

Feel free to answer all or none of previous questions! Thank you so much.

Just received an email from the admissions saying that my application is complete.
Fingers crossed, hoping for the best from CCOM!

Good luck to everyone applying!!

Received an email from MWU office of admissions and got excited thinking they were already doing interview invites. Turns out it was just a "why choose us" email. :whistle:

Reactions: 6 users
Secondary received! But I have a question about the physician letter on the secondary application, do I need to submit the physician letter at the same time as the supplement questions?

Secondary submitted yesterday and application marked complete within 24 hours

I have a letter in the mail coming today from the office of admissions (according to the USPS). I’m worried that this is a rejection letter.

I have a letter in the mail coming today from the office of admissions (according to the USPS). I’m worried that this is a rejection letter.
I got one in the mail this morning. It basically just said we sent you an email to complete the secondary. Lol

A rejection this early? You got this!

Since I was wondering and figured others would be too, the first II last year was sent on 7/17... appears that person was complete on 7/12.

I've been complete since 6/26, hoping for some love from this school!! Good luck everyone

I'm already late to the application game, hoping to submit primary by the end of this week. Last year my main LOR writter sent his letter... 3 months after I sent all my secondary prompts. You can all guess how it ended.
CCOM has been my top choice for a very long time. I love the school and I love Chicago. I hope they give me a chance.

Secondary submitted today! LOR probably wont get in until later this week though.

Currently working on getting a DO letter... but only have an MD I sent in so far. Will it look bad if I send an MD followed up with a DO as an update?

Hey guys.. so I've heard that some DO schools give "extra credit" to people with 2 DO letters. I have 2, but obviously CCOM, for example, only wants 1. Will it look like I'm intentionally breaking the rules or make me look desperate by sending 2 DO letters (along with the 1 required science)?? @Goro I think it was your post about it being rare to have 2 DO. Thoughts?

It's rare, and definitely gets our attention in a very positive way.
Good to hear. So I suppose I’ll take the jump and send in my two. Thanks!

Since I was wondering and figured others would be too, the first II last year was sent on 7/17... appears that person was complete on 7/12.

I've been complete since 6/26, hoping for some love from this school!! Good luck everyone

what does II stand for exactly?? lol

In the applicant checklist link in the portal, is the date next to the MCAT scores the date when you took the MCAT or the date when they processed the MCAT scores?
Mine says June 2018 but I'm not sure if it's my new score (i took on june 2) or when they processed my first score from aacomas.

What does everyone else's say?

In the applicant checklist link in the portal, is the date next to the MCAT scores the date when you took the MCAT or the date when they processed the MCAT scores?
Mine says June 2018 but I'm not sure if it's my new score (i took on june 2) or when they processed my first score from aacomas.

What does everyone else's say?

Mine says April 2018. That is when I took the MCAT, so I assume it is the date that you took your MCAT.