2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that saw your pre reqs come up on the portal, did you receive an email or letter in the mail saying you were waitlisted yet? I have not

I haven’t received anything yet but I know you get a letter in the mail. It’s takes a week or two.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who noticed their prereqs listed receive an email that you are on the waitlist &/or where your placed on the waitlist?
-Interviewed 4/8 and noticed my prereqs listed yesterday

I had to call them and check on my status, I wasn't notified that I got wait listed.

For those of you that saw your pre reqs come up on the portal, did you receive an email or letter in the mail saying you were waitlisted yet? I have not
I did not but I called them and they told me I was on the alternate list

those of you that were accepted, how much time do you guys have before you have to put down a deposit?

A lot of my classmates got into the program through the summer. I did not hear back till June 7th of last year. Some got in July. It really sucks waiting but there is hope.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of my classmates got into the program through the summer. I did not hear back till June 7th of last year. Some got in July. It really sucks waiting but there is hope.
Do you know how we send updates to this school? Is it just through email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know of any good neighborhoods to live in between Downers Grove and Chicago? My husband got a tentative job in the city and we’re looking to live halfway in between!

Anyone know of any good neighborhoods to live in between Downers Grove and Chicago? My husband got a tentative job in the city and we’re looking to live halfway in between!
Forest Park is a good middle ground, and reasonably priced. ~20 minute drive to chicago and to downers grove depending on traffic. Oak Park too, but it’s a little more expensive. River Forest is a good location, but typically a lot more expensive

When i called the school the lady i spoke to said the waitlist isn’t ranked. Im confused how thats possible, do they randomly choose from the waitlist if seats open up?

I know another school I applied to doesn't have a ranked waitlist bc they wanna keep the class diverse so if a male drops off then they accept another male, etc. Idk if this is what this school does or not, but it could be why?

When i called the school the lady i spoke to said the waitlist isn’t ranked. Im confused how thats possible, do they randomly choose from the waitlist if seats open up?
They periodically look at all the applications. This is why sending in updates or new letters of recommendation can help with being pulled off the waitlist.

If anyone that has been accepted (or those of you that hopefully will be soon!) are looking for a roommate to live with off campus, please feel free to send me a message!

Any current or former CCOM students want to share their housing wisdom with me? I'm really struggling to decide if I would want to live closer to school in Downers Grove or Lombard, or further away in Oak Park/Forest Park where I'll be a little closer to the city. How many hours a day do you typically spend on campus? Is it worth it to be slightly closer to the city and in a bit more of a walkable (so I've heard) neighborhood for when I'm not doing school stuff, or will I hate myself for not being right next to campus?

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you accepted off the waitlist, i was also waitlisted at the end of april and i have not sent my letter of intent because i was waiting to get my LORs ready so i could send them all in together. I will be sending them in the next 2 days (a letter of intent, and 2 LORs from Dr’s that i work with/ volunteer with). Do you think i screwed up my chances by not sending a letter of intent right away? I feel like i should have but i just wanted to send it together with my LORs. I also heard that may 15 is the aacomas deadline for choosing a school so i was just aiming to get my updates in before that

For those of you accepted off the waitlist, i was also waitlisted at the end of april and i have not sent my letter of intent because i was waiting to get my LORs ready so i could send them all in together. I will be sending them in the next 2 days (a letter of intent, and 2 LORs from Dr’s that i work with/ volunteer with). Do you think i screwed up my chances by not sending a letter of intent right away? I feel like i should have but i just wanted to send it together with my LORs. I also heard that may 15 is the aacomas deadline for choosing a school so i was just aiming to get my updates in before that
Do you know if the deadline is correct? and If so, how do we choose?

That sounds like a good plan, I think there is still time, some student got pulled off the waitlist in June last year. Just make sure you keep updating them and get the LOI in ASAP. The deadline doesn’t matter if you are waitlisted. If you get accepted to CCOM you’ll have a few days to commit and the other school will become aware. My friend was waitlisted and committed but then got accepted to his top choice in June last year.

I sent an LOI and an update separately which I think helps just because it’s 2 separate submissions, shows more interest than one combined. But I’m sure it doesn’t make a major difference.

How would i send a LOR to the school? I know were supposed to send updates to their email address but if its a LOR how would we do that without seeing whats on the letter? I would think that the school doesnt want us seeing what is written in our LORs

Any current or former CCOM students want to share their housing wisdom with me? I'm really struggling to decide if I would want to live closer to school in Downers Grove or Lombard, or further away in Oak Park/Forest Park where I'll be a little closer to the city. How many hours a day do you typically spend on campus? Is it worth it to be slightly closer to the city and in a bit more of a walkable (so I've heard) neighborhood for when I'm not doing school stuff, or will I hate myself for not being right next to campus?

First year you will likely be on campus for something almost every day during the week. If I were you, I’d live closer to campus unless you don’t mind a long commute every day. Most people move to the city third year.

How would i send a LOR to the school? I know were supposed to send updates to their email address but if its a LOR how would we do that without seeing whats on the letter? I would think that the school doesnt want us seeing what is written in our LORs
Have the letter writer directly send it to the admissions office, or have it uploaded to Interfolio and send it to the school.

Still waitlisted MABSer here. Does the ADCOM meet for the waitlist also once a month?

Accepted from the waitlist yesterday and withdrawing for UIC. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

There are a few people that live in Oak Park right now and they really didn't seem to mind it. If you are okay studying at home then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you feel like you will need the library to study then maybe living closer would be more ideal. It also depends if you end up going to class, I would say 75% of people do not. If you are one of those people then you'll probably only need to come to campus 3/5 days of the week typically.

There are a few people that live in Oak Park right now and they really didn't seem to mind it. If you are okay studying at home then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you feel like you will need the library to study then maybe living closer would be more ideal. It also depends if you end up going to class, I would say 75% of people do not. If you are one of those people then you'll probably only need to come to campus 3/5 days of the week typically.
I thought that there was something mandatory pretty much every day of the week?

I thought that there was something mandatory pretty much every day of the week?
Not really. Wednesday and Thursday you'll have to be there for OMM and physical exam skills. Also Biochem workshop. And then if there are any quizzes/tests obviously. It just depends on how the schedule is set up for that week because it changes weekly.

Got accepted this morning from the waitlist around 10:30! Was called by the admissions office and given the good news. Will be attending here at this point over the other 2 DO schools I was lucky enough to be accepted into. Excited to see you all soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted this morning from the waitlist around 10:30! Was called by the admissions office and given the good news. Will be attending here at this point over the other 2 DO schools I was lucky enough to be accepted into. Excited to see you all soon!
Congrats! Which schools will you be withdrawing from?

I am not a former or current student but am an incoming first year like yourself and I grew up in the area. Downers Grove is a great place to live and the downtown area has a good amount of stuff to do, bars, restaurants, breweries, movie theaters, coffee shops and there are a few downtown areas near it like Elmhurst that have a lot to do.

All Chicago traffic is bad even if you're in the suburbs so being close to campus might be of benefit. In addition to this, whether you are living in OP/FP or Downers Grove, you will not want to be driving into the city, especially during rush hour and morning traffic. Downers Grove and the surrounding suburbs as well as OP/FP have Express trains that get downtown in 20-25 minutes from Downers and probably around 10-15 from OP/FP which is considerably faster than driving from both locations and negates the effect of being closer to the city. Also, city parking in Chicago is a mess and expensive, the train is the way to go if you are going downtown. Hope this helps a little bit!

Last edited:
Do any of you guys use Boards&Beyond or Pathoma and are you able to easily do this and your lectures/exams?

Do any of you guys use Boards&Beyond or Pathoma and are you able to easily do this and your lectures/exams?
Lol, do you use B&B and Pathoma... I stopped studying lectures, and B&B/Pathoma (plus UWorld) became my sole study material. You can put the lectures on x3 speed to pick out the stuff they like to test the day before the exam, but you should be using B&B/Pathoma to actually learn it for boards.

Lol, do you use B&B and Pathoma... I stopped studying lectures, and B&B/Pathoma (plus UWorld) became my sole study material. You can put the lectures on x3 speed to pick out the stuff they like to test the day before the exam, but you should be using B&B/Pathoma to actually learn it for boards.

Thanks for answering. I’m intrigued by this but also glad CCOM allows you to do this with recorded lectures and pre-prepared lecture notes! I know that other schools require textbook readings.

How are you able to do on the lecture exams despite not entirely studying the lectures? I know it is an ABC graded system. Did you do this (only. B&B/pathoma) as an M1 too?

How difficult are the lecture exams? In an ideal world, I’d not have to do the lecture material and just study for boards throughout—but how do you know which parts of lecture to focus on and cram on the day before the exam?

Thanks for answering. I’m intrigued by this but also glad CCOM allows you to do this with recorded lectures and pre-prepared lecture notes! I know that other schools require textbook readings.

How are you able to do on the lecture exams despite not entirely studying the lectures? I know it is an ABC graded system. Did you do this (only. B&B/pathoma) as an M1 too?

How difficult are the lecture exams? In an ideal world, I’d not have to do the lecture material and just study for boards throughout—but how do you know which parts of lecture to focus on and cram on the day before the exam?

Not possible to do during M1. You don’t really learn pathology first year, just the basics. So stick to the lecture note packets for exams.

I know people who used boards materials in place of lecture materials in second year but you aren’t going to do as well on the exams this way. If that’s ok with you, then go for it. I felt like our pathology class covered a lot more than pathoma does so you’d have to be doing some educated guessing on exams. Plus our big class second year (CSI) asks super obscure and specific questions on exams I don’t think you’d do well without looking at their PowerPoints once or twice.

Exams aren’t difficult first year. Everything you need to know is in the lecture packets for the most part. Second year is just harder in general but it’s not terrible. I personally had a hard time balancing board studying and lecture exam studying bc we have like at least one exam a week it’s ridiculous. But if you don’t care too much about grades, you can prob figure it out better than I did. As far as knowing what’s important to focus on...some lecturers are good at telling you what’s important for exam purposes, otherwise everything is fair game.

Hello! Incoming first year here, I was wondering if anyone has received their financial aid reward letter yet for next year? Or if any current students know generally when they send them out? Thanks!

Not really, CCOM provides you with note packets and everything you need to know is in those packets. Do NOT study for boards your first year. Set up a good GPA, make sure to understand the information you are learning and it'll be review when it comes to boards. The only time I went to outside sources like Osmosis/B&B/youtube if I needed clarification or a different point of view.