2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[
Rejection post secondary this morning. complete 8/5 - 505 mcat 3.75 graduate GPA

Head up and look forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, the applicant pool must be pretty crazy this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
still on silent, complete 7/5 -_-

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected today after silence for over three months. Stats and EC's were decent enough to get offers from other "top" DO schools, so whatevs.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected this morning as well! All good, life goes on. Accepted at two other DO schools and hopefully one more. Good luck y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected today after silence for over three months. Stats and EC's were decent enough to get offers from other "top" DO schools, so whatevs.
Sorry to hear that. What are the top DO schools? I see a different list from different sources. Is there something out there which is more authentic or more popularly accepted?

Sorry to hear that. What are the top DO schools? I see a different list from different sources. Is there something out there which is more authentic or more popularly accepted?

Generally original 5. PCOM, CCOM, KCUMB, DMU and ATSU KCOM. They are the oldest/most established DO schools with solid reputations.

Still silent.

Completed 8/25/18. 503 MCAT, OOS, 3.71 post-bacc GPA, non-traditional student with prior healthcare career

Reactions: 3 users
So I was too busy today to call about doing a tour and got the admissions office voicemail but still plan on checking out the campus tomorrow.

Anybody have any recommendations about checking out the CCOM campus on a self guided-tour? Would I be able to experience anything that would be interesting to mention during my upcoming interview?

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile

So I was too busy today to call about doing a tour and got the admissions office voicemail but still plan on checking out the campus tomorrow.

Anybody have any recommendations about checking out the CCOM campus on a self guided-tour? Would I be able to experience anything that would be interesting to mention during my upcoming interview?

Just a heads up, I’m not sure if you’d be able to get in. You have to swipe a student ID or go through the security booth thing (can’t remember if there’s a word for this) in order to get into campus. When I went the day before my interview to check campus out they wouldn’t let me in, but that might have just been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You’ll need to set something up with the admissions office. Every building requires an ID for entrance. And honesty, the only thing you’ll experience with a one on one winter tour is how seasonal affective disorder takes its toll on grad students

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a match list (specific sites) for 2018/2017? I cannot seem to find a link. I only saw a link to their main site that lists # by specialty and groups some into “other”.

Anyone have a match list (specific sites) for 2018/2017? I cannot seem to find a link. I only saw a link to their main site that lists # by specialty and groups some into “other”.

It’s posted in the match list thread somewhere

Has anybody else noticed the drop in COMLEX 2 PE pass rate for 2018? Every other year their exam rates across the board are well-above the national average

haven't heard anything yet either
My application was completed on 08/23 and I have yet to receive neither a rejection nor an offer to interview? Has your situation been updated at all?

Has anybody else noticed the drop in COMLEX 2 PE pass rate for 2018? Every other year their exam rates across the board are well-above the national average
The PE is pass/fail. The school doesn't give resources to prepare for it since its expected that we prepare for it throughout our rotations. Whether someone passes or fails isn't a reflection of the program but is of the individual.

The PE is pass/fail. The school doesn't give resources to prepare for it since its expected that we prepare for it throughout our rotations. Whether someone passes or fails isn't a reflection of the program but is of the individual.
Gotcha! I'm not very familiar with the COMLEX structure

I'll be withdrawing from my interview date (accepted to my top choice). There are still plenty of months to go in the application season~ stay positive! Cheers and good luck :)

Rejected on 11/9. Not worried about it as I already got accepted into 2 MD programs xD. Just surprised seeing my stats are around the ball point if not higher. Tuition here is way too high...but best of luck to everyone!!!!!!

Accepted, my friends! Interviewed 11/2 took exactly 2 weeks to get that A!
My stats and applications status are in the signature. Please let me know if I can help! :)

Does anyone have any info on Midwestern's learning style/curriculum? Aka are classes case based or lecture based? And is it a traditional or systems based curriculum? Flipped classroom? I've been having some trouble finding that info online.

We have “symptom based” weeks which only applies to our clinical classes. Otherwise you take Anatomy, histology and all other classes in a normal lecture schedule. The nice thing is things do overlap between classes.

How are you guys going to afford CCOM? Are you planning on taking out $450K in loans with the hope of getting into a high-paying specialty, or do most of you come from very wealthy backgrounds?

I have very solid stats, and I'm trying to decide whether to submit a CCOM secondary. The tuition is honestly insane. People rave over CCOM's location, but honestly, in med school you're probably not going to have much time to hang out in the city anyway.

Yes the tuition sucks but the atomosphere of the school, the professors and location all make it worth it. Plus the rotations are an added bonus. We go out to the city a lot and love having it so close by. Most people plan to move to the city 3rd and 4th year when rotations do start so during that time you also get to be right downtown. Most people pay for it with loans there is no other way but like others said you are going to be making so much more to be able to pay if off eventually.

While I understand that the reasoning behind it may be dumb, it is happening to many programs that will make it tougher on DOs in the short term.

Only reason I commented is that I wish so pursue EM. I am trying to figure out what my path would be with DO and what this residency system is gonna turn out to be like with programs phasing out. I heard talks of the groups creating 2 EM residency locations, north and south.

I’m as concerned as you are since I plan to apply for EM as well, however there are still plenty of options available. St. James’ lack of an EM residency shouldn’t deter anyone since there are several historically DO programs still around and honesty, there are also plenty of DO friendly allopathic EM residencies aswell.

The EM program is not closed. They still have residents, and currently working towards getting accredited because as @southflorida1107 said, they just didn't meet ACGME standards.
The fact that EM program is currently not taking residents doesn't affect Midwestern students at all even if you want to go into EM (it didn't affect me) / (unless of course you had your eyes set on St James EM). There are plenty of other programs and as long as your application for residency remains competitive, you won't have a hard time getting interviews for residency.

Message me for any EM residency specific questions if you have more.

Do they do silent rejections?.. I completed around early August... and haven't heard anything from them.... no reject, hold, II, etc. Should I call?

No. they have handed out a ton of pre-II rejections already each month. I'm in the same boat as you on silent.

Alternate list. Now its easy in knowing i dont have to choose which school to put a first deposit down

You are going, that’s what counts.

Was all silent until last week, can't wait to freeze for the 12/3 interview day.

see ya there folks

mind sharing stats, and when complete?

Sure! Complete Nov. 7, 3.88 GPA and 505 MCAT, lots of shadowing and clinical experience as a phlebotomist.

Anybody have interview advice/feedback? Feeling a bit nervous only have a couple of days to prepare

Sure! Complete Nov. 7, 3.88 GPA and 505 MCAT, lots of shadowing and clinical experience as a phlebotomist.

Anybody have interview advice/feedback? Feeling a bit nervous only have a couple of days to prepare
Just know your CV well enough to expand on anything from it as we'll generally just ask about whatever we find interesting. The interview itself is very laid back

Interview is super laid-back. They make an effort to get to know you and keep it low stress. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Honestly, one of the best interviews I've had and super stoked that I was accepted here. Let me know if you have any questions

Does anyone know how important ECs are to this school? Do they require a lot of ECs with underserved populations or anything?

To someone who interviewed: is this interview open file or closed file? I have heard that it is semi-closed in that they have you secondary app but not your AACOMAS. Can anyone confirm this?

To someone who interviewed: is this interview open file or closed file? I have heard that it is semi-closed in that they have you secondary app but not your AACOMAS. Can anyone confirm this?

Open file. They had my resume and secondary essays in front of them and asked me a couple questions about them,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but do they accept pre-II updates?

Is anyone else super concerned about the tuition here? Basically 100k per year, which will end up amounting to 600-700k student loans after interest (if not more). I would love to attend this school but just get a feeling of anxiety when I think about the tuition compared to other DO schools.

Is anyone else super concerned about the tuition here? Basically 100k per year, which will end up amounting to 600-700k student loans after interest (if not more). I would love to attend this school but just get a feeling of anxiety when I think about the tuition compared to other DO schools.
Yeah I have been very stressed too, I want to stay in Illinois to be close to my family but I am not sure if it is worth it

Yeah I have been very stressed too, I want to stay in Illinois to be close to my family but I am not sure if it is worth it

That’s the only reason I chose to go to CCOM. If you don’t have ties to the area, I would go somewhere cheaper tbh.