2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where is everyone seeing the status of interview invites / waitlist?
I received an email, I did not see it updated on my portal.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-interview waitlist.

3.98 GPA, 506 MCAT

Not sure why. Perhaps they got a more competitive pool this year. I'm seeing people with like 510 on the MCAT getting interviews here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-interview waitlist.

3.98 GPA, 506 MCAT

Not sure why. Perhaps they got a more competitive pool this year. I'm seeing people with like 510 on the MCAT getting interviews here.
I feel like it is a competitive pool than usual. Got an email today saying I was denied here but my application wasn’t even complete and missing a letter. Good luck to everyone else!

I feel like it is a competitive pool than usual. Got an email today saying I was denied here but my application wasn’t even complete and missing a letter. Good luck to everyone else!
I would email them. I don’t believe they should have reviewed your application without it being complete. This could well be a mistake

I would email them. I don’t believe they should have reviewed your application without it being complete. This could well be a mistake
I emailed them when they sent me an email saying my application is complete and under review. I told them that I did not have a letter in yet and they replied saying thanks for letting them know. I did email again asking if it was because of the letter or something else I got denied.

I emailed them when they sent me an email saying my application is complete and under review. I told them that I did not have a letter in yet and they replied saying thanks for letting them know. I did email again asking if it was because of the letter or something else I got denied.

HOLISTIC

Well they emailed me back and said the competition has been very strong in years past and that’s why they decided to move ahead with reviewing my application. They said I had a strong application but my MCAT was too low for an interview. Good luck to everyone else applying here!

Well they emailed me back and said the competition has been very strong in years past and that’s why they decided to move ahead with reviewing my application. They said I had a strong application but my MCAT was too low for an interview. Good luck to everyone else applying here!
What is your MCAT if you don't mind me asking?

Does anybody have an idea of how many applicants are accepted from those that interview?

Does anybody have an idea of how many applicants are accepted from those that interview?

I wish I knew! I my interview is scheduled for the last week of August. I read somewhere that there is an acceptance rate of somewhere around 70% of those that were granted interviews. But it was a couple years back. Only like 5000 applied last year so that would make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
In general last year there were 20,000 people who applied through AACOMAS and like 8,000 were enrolled so everyone has at least a 40% chance of getting into DO School

It has always been $1000 and non-refundable unless they changed it for this year.

Yes to both. One Health Initiative is really used to satisfy the interdisciplinary course requirement for all schools. I personally think talking about why you believe that you will be able to succeed in school A is a better approach than to "I like school A because I think One Health Initiative is a really cool and important idea to promote."

Traditional 3 vs. 1.; 2 AZCOM Faculty, 1 student or another faculty. Note that this last faculty may not be part of the school. Meaning they can be a professor teaching Vet med, PA, etc.
Mine was a 2 on 1 just a heads up it might be different depending on your day/interview. Mine was with a basic science faculty and a 4th year

I wish I knew! I my interview is scheduled for the last week of August. I read somewhere that there is an acceptance rate of somewhere around 70% of those that were granted interviews. But it was a couple years back. Only like 5000 applied last year so that would make sense?
This is a quote that gets thrown around a lot - I’d say if you’re waitlisted you have a pretty good chance of being removed off of the waitlist but it really depends on the year and the amount of waitlist movement (last year, tons of movement, this year not as much)

Also I’m an incoming MS1 - feel free to PM or ask any questions. I’ll check in every once in a while

This is a quote that gets thrown around a lot - I’d say if you’re waitlisted you have a pretty good chance of being removed off of the waitlist but it really depends on the year and the amount of waitlist movement (last year, tons of movement, this year not as much)

Wait how do you know? Isn't it too early to tell?

I received an email back saying that to be considered for an interview, the committee is looking for applicants who have higher than 3.3 science gpa (3.3 is the minimum), and at least 506 mcat along with good healthcare extracurriculars.

I received an email back saying that to be considered for an interview, the committee is looking for applicants who have higher than 3.3 science gpa (3.3 is the minimum), and at least 506 mcat along with good healthcare extracurriculars.
Isn't their average MCAT a 505 though? So they must be interviewing people who have a 502ish MCAT

did you meet the GPA requirement and did they send that before or after the secondary?

Isn't their average MCAT a 505 though? So they must be interviewing people who have a 502ish MCAT
It's probably give or take, im not sure. that's what the email told me, but im sure they're interviewing people with lower than 506. There are many other variables in this process too, so im sure they couldn't fully disclose their entire method.

did you meet the GPA requirement and did they send that before or after the secondary?

yea i submitted my secondary already before I asked them. Now it's just a waiting game.

At the moment or in all? Because then I just wasted my money despite checking all minimum requirements. 3.8 GPA with 504 MCAT

At the moment or in all? Because then I just wasted my money despite checking all minimum requirements. 3.8 GPA with 504 MCAT
you'll probably get an interview, your gpa is really good and your mcat isnt that far off!

you'll probably get an interview, your gpa is really good and your mcat isnt that far off!
I mean I honestly can’t imagine they would jump to only above 506 within a year but my premed irrational brain tells me it could happen! it’s such a struggle. I was one of those who scored 5 points lower on my actual mcat vs practice exams so I hate thinking I’m that close to having a “competitive score”. Thanks for the reply and hope!

Yo guys I just realized when we interview it'll be like 100 degrees.... How are you all coping with this heat ESPECIALLY WITH FORMAL CLOTHING?!?
Bring drops to treat dry eye! I was in AZ recently and coming from TX, I was used to the heat but not the dryness. My eyes burned terribly and I could barely keep them open outside. Also stay hydrated and try to stay inside when you can.

Has anyone received a rejection from this school yet? Or not heard anything at all?

I received an interview waitlist, but am unsure if everyone who submits a secondary either gets an II or waitlisted.

Has anyone received a rejection from this school yet? Or not heard anything at all?

I received an interview waitlist, but am unsure if everyone who submits a secondary either gets an II or waitlisted.
I was sent a rejection so no worries you still have a chance

I was sent a rejection so no worries you still have a chance
I'm so sorry to hear. There's still hope elsewhere! :) But I didn't know they send rejections this early in the cycle :(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear. There's still hope elsewhere! This isn't the only great DO school :) But I didn't know they send rejections this early in the cycle?
Yeah my application wasn’t even complete. My physician letter isn’t in yet but they said they reviewed my application and that despite having a strong application my mcat score was too low. No worries it’s just one school and I only need one school to take a chance on me and accept me. It’s still pretty early so here’s to hoping that something else works out.

Yeah my application wasn’t even complete. My physician letter isn’t in yet but they said they reviewed my application and that despite having a strong application my mcat score was too low. No worries it’s just one school and I only need one school to take a chance on me and accept me. It’s still pretty early so here’s to hoping that something else works out.
What was your MCAT score if you don't mind saying? Cuz mine isn't that high... so I'm worrying also

And yes! Don't stress out. We all will get some rejection letters at one point or the other in the cycle

What was your MCAT score if you don't mind saying? Cuz mine isn't that high... so I'm worrying also

And yes! Don't stress out. We all will get some rejection letters at one point or the other in the cycle
I posted this above earlier too but it was around a 500. I’m sure we’ll both get in somewhere hopefully!

Wait so, there is the minimum of a 2.75 sGPA for the supplemental, and then a minimum of a 3.3 sGPA for the interview? or that's just what you need to be competitive for an interview

Wait so, there is the minimum of a 2.75 sGPA for the supplemental, and then a minimum of a 3.3 sGPA for the interview? or that's just what you need to be competitive for an interview

Maybe no necessarily a cut off but that’s what they’re shooting for. For reference I have a 3.38sGPA and a 506MCAT and still for preinterview waitlist

I'm pretty sure that's what you need to be competitive. But they do accept lower GPAs and MCATs obviously - they just have to be coupled with stellar ECs

Anyone completing a secondary notice that the checklist says their MCAT scores have not yet been received?

I have been verified for weeks and my scores were submitted and verified at that time.

Thanks for any replies!

I'm having the same problem with the MCAT scores indicating that have not yet been received, and I was also verified weeks ago. Did you find out why is this happening?

I was sent the email with the link to the portal for the secondary, but I can't find where the questions are. Idk if it's bc im just too overwhelmed or what, but can anyone please let me know where I can see the questions?

I was sent the email with the link to the portal for the secondary, but I can't find where the questions are. Idk if it's bc im just too overwhelmed or what, but can anyone please let me know where I can see the questions?
if you look at the top left corner it hover over admission then choose supplemental application

No guarantee, but it does happen. They'll reach out to the holds later in the cycle. Hang in there!
Can you explain what you mean by later in the cycle? Will they reach out after the first round of interview or towards the very end of the cycle (aka March-ish). :)

Still waiting to hear from AZCOM. Been marked complete since 6/29

Hi all, M4 here. Feel free to post here or PM with any questions about the school. I will answer within a day or two (I’ve got really varying shift times every day so I don’t always remember to check sdn). To help calm some people down, there are quite a few people in my class who were once on the interview waitlist or even interviewed and then waitlisted. As far as we can all tell, AZCOM interviews the people with higher tier MCAT scores first, and then Nov-Dec starts pulling from the interview waitlist in addition to new new applications. They interviewed through beginning of April last year, so plenty of time.

Woahhh thanks for the info! I was pretty crushed LOL

On the side note, what do you like about this school?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having the same problem with the MCAT scores indicating that have not yet been received, and I was also verified weeks ago. Did you find out why is this happening?

Yes. For me my MCAT was not verified through AACOMAS (although I had requested an electronic score report on May...)

It took a week but after calling AACOMAS multiple times it was finally resolved! Good luck I hope this helps you.

I know it's a little early, but if anyone has any questions about AZCOM please feel free to send me a PM or post here.

hi!!

I have an overall GPA of 3.59 and science of 3.48. My mcat score is 501. Do you think I can get into AZCOM?

Thanks in advance!

Can we submit same answer from chicago campus with the arizona one?

Do they have access with each other?