2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interview last week (8/28) and hasnt heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Easily my top school from interviews thus far. Would love to pay this deposit RN but someone explain why it costs so much more than other schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Easily my top school from interviews thus far. Would love to pay this deposit RN but someone explain why it costs so much more than other schools

A relatively small private school with hardly any government subsidies that is currently expanding their campus.

II yesterday, only dates available are in January, this one is gonna be a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when we get to rank our clinical sites? Just submitted my deposit!

We ranked our clinical sites 2-3 months before classes even started. You'll get to choose between East Phoenix, West Phoenix, Tucson, one or two regions in California, and I believe Chicago is available as well. Please keep in mind that students often trade with other students throughout the course of their didactic course work so nothing is set in stone.

Does anyone else have the red checkbox next to Bachelor's Degree in the Accepted Student Checklist? Not sure what it means...

ACCEPTED!! I can't believe it!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! If you interviewed week of 8/27/2018, and didn't have a change to your portal last week, check your portal again!!! I interviewed on 8/29 and didn't have a change to my portal until today and got ACCEPTED! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The accepted students checklist appeared in my portal so I guess I’m in! Interviewed 8/27 and thought it went horribly but guess not

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't check my portal until I received a phone call and an email regarding my acceptance. Did you interview on 8/27?
Accepted student checklist on my portal showed up today! I guess patience really is a virtue :highfive:

Toying with canceling my interview here because of acceptance somewhere closer to home. However, I'd still be very interested in Midwestern Chicago. Does anyone know if canceling here would adversely affect getting an II there?

Do you guys think a middle of January interview invite cuts your chances of getting in significantly?

ACCEPTED!! I can't believe it!
its-been-fun-peace-out.jpg

anyone know any cheap hotels or transportations? im debating on whether renting a car is worth it or just lyft/ubering around

edit: found a place

Last edited:
Is it going to be too late to add this school at this point?

Anyone interviewing on October 18? If someone wants to share an uber or stress with me lol

Also would really appreciate some interview tips from people who have already done them!! This is my first interview so I'm not really sure how to prepare.

Anyone interviewing on October 18? If someone wants to share an uber or stress with me lol

Also would really appreciate some interview tips from people who have already done them!! This is my first interview so I'm not really sure how to prepare.

I interviewed the first week. Definitely know your application and be ready to talk about anything from your CV and secondary responses to your primary app experiences. And of course practice the "Why medicine, why do, why AZCOM" ect type questions. Overall, I thought it was really chill.

Reactions: 2 users
We ranked our clinical sites 2-3 months before classes even started. You'll get to choose between East Phoenix, West Phoenix, Tucson, one or two regions in California, and I believe Chicago is available as well. Please keep in mind that students often trade with other students throughout the course of their didactic course work so nothing is set in stone.

How does the selection process work? Lottery/random or by order of acceptance etc. ?

Anyone that got accepted here have lower MCAT score? :pompous:
I just submitted my secondary this morning and wondering if I have a chance with a 500.

Can anybody who has interviewed comment on the length of the interview/how many interviewers are present?

Can anybody who has interviewed comment on the length of the interview/how many interviewers are present?
30 min interview with 2-3 panelists, usually faculty and preceptors, some current students. Laid back! Know your app and your motivations, like all interviews.

Anyone that got accepted here have lower MCAT score? :pompous:
I just submitted my secondary this morning and wondering if I have a chance with a 500.

AZCOM tends to like higher MCAT scores. The average MCAT for the class of 2022 was 508.

That being said, I’d say there’s still a chance if the rest of your app is stellar! I know a handful of people with MCATs in the low 500s who were ultimately accepted.

Any of the upper classmen can give insight regarding East versus West Valley rotations? Such as quality? Commuting? Which has more academic-based rotations and what not? Thanks.

AZCOM tends to like higher MCAT scores. The average MCAT for the class of 2022 was 508.

That being said, I’d say there’s still a chance if the rest of your app is stellar! I know a handful of people with MCATs in the low 500s who were ultimately accepted.
Thanks for your insight.

Put on the interview waitlist. Kinda disappointed but still hopeful. 3.23/507

Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? Interviewed here yesterday and really loved it! Would be a dream to attend.

Below are the regions and affiliated institutions for third and fourth year clinical rotations:

Phoenix, AZ – East Valley

-Maricopa Medical Center
-Banner Health System – Banner Desert, Banner Gateway
-Honor Health – Scottsdale Healthcare Shea
-IASIS Health System – Mountain Vista Medical Center*, Tempe St. Luke’s, St. Luke’s
-Sierra Vista Regional Health Center (rural) – Sierra Vista, AZ*
-Verde Valley Medical Center (rural) – Cottonwood, AZ*
-Kingman Regional Medical Center (rural) – Kingman,AZ*

Phoenix, AZ – West Valley
-Veteran’s Administration Medical Center
-Banner Health Systems – Banner Thunderbird; Banner Boswell
-Honor Health – JCL North Mountain*, JCL Deer Valley
-Kingman Regional Medical Center (rural) – Kingman,AZ*
-Tucson Tucson Medical Center

Los Angeles, CA – North
-Glendale Memorial Hospital
-Glendale Adventists Hospital
-Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital

Los Angeles, CA – South
-Fountain Valley Regional Medical Center
-Los Alamitos Medical Center

San Diego, CA
-Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
-Sharp Mary Burch Hospital
-Sharp Coronado Hospital
-Sierra Vista Regional Health Center (rural) – Sierra Vista, AZ

Kankakee, IL
-Riverside Medical Center**

Chicago, IL
-Swedish Covenant Hospital
-Advocate BroMenn Medical Center (rural) – Normal, IL

* MWU/OPTI Residency Program Site affiliated with AZCOM
** MWU/OPTI Residency Program Site affiliated with CCOM

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who got a pre-interview hold her an interview? Or know if the pre-interview hold people get an interview :)? Thanks!!

Has anyone who got a pre-interview hold her an interview? Or know if the pre-interview hold people get an interview :)? Thanks!!
I was placed on the hold as well about a week ago. According to some things i've seen, there is a lot of movement on the list but not until the beginning of next year.

Little confused with the accepted student checklist.

So if I were to sign the matriculation agreement and put down my deposit does that mean I HAVE to attend that university? Or can I withdraw after 12/16/2018? If anyone could clarify i'd really appreciate it!

Little confused with the accepted student checklist.

So if I were to sign the matriculation agreement and put down my deposit does that mean I HAVE to attend that university? Or can I withdraw after 12/16/2018? If anyone could clarify i'd really appreciate it!

Absolutely not. Once you submit the deposit and signed matriculation agreement you will have the option to withdraw your acceptance well into mid 2019. However, your deposit will not be refunded.

Anyone who interviewed September 24th hear back yet? Also for people who have already been accepted, how long did it typically take after the interview to find out, and what changes did you notice on the portal before being contacted by the school? Thanks!

Had an interview here in a couple weeks that I pushed back to January because of how much I liked another school I interviewed at. That, plus a couple other II lined up at schools which are (a) closer to home and (b) cheaper = means I will likely end up cancelling once I hear back from one of them

Applied in mid July and haven’t heard anything, is that bad/rejection? Anyone else still working?