2018-2019 Nephrology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackninja

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured to start this one. I am applying tomorrow. Good luck to everyone applying and hope we get our #1 spots at good programs! :)

Black Ninja

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay let’s get it going.

UAB (7/17)
UW (7/17)
Yale (7/17)

UCLA-Harbour
Drexel

Did Yale send interview or stating they are reviewing the application?

Drexel (7/17, docebzz)
UAB (7/17, Chrissyxf)
UCLA -Harbour (7/17, docebzz)
UNC (7/17, chrissyxf)
UW (7/17, chrissyxf)
Vanderbilt (7/17, chrissyxf)
Yale (7/17, chrissyxf)

can we also mentation if IMG or AMG.

IMG myself.

CCF- Cleveland 7/16
U Chicago 7/17
Yale 7/18
Mount Sinai Hospital 7/20
UPMC Pittsburgh 7/23
Johns Hopkins 7/24.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Darthmouth
Uni of illinois, chicago
UPMC
NYU medical school
Uni of CA , irvine

penn state
UofC
Cleveland
NYU
Mount Sinai
Upenn
cornell
upmc
UT houston

Last edited:
Any malignant programs that we should avoid?

In NYC , out of the big name brands , avoid everything else .

Stony brook and downstate have no fellows for a reason ... though stony brook has offered a “guaranteed” crit care year.

Avoid any place that does not have crrt or transplant . If you’re going for the bottom of the barrel you may as well bob an apple or two

Reactions: 1 users
any thoughts on NYU or UCLA, what kind of programs are they? Has emory send interviews yet

I got one from emory. Is it a good program? I got one from NYU but it seems they did not fill any positions last year. I think that might be alarming.

any thoughts on NYU or UCLA, what kind of programs are they? Has emory send interviews yet
tervi

I got one from emory. Is it a good program? I got one from NYU but it seems they did not fill any positions last year. I think that might be alarming.

tervi

Actually NYU filled two out of three spots and got someone through the scramble rather quickly . I’m not from NYU * disclaimer * but know the people

The main northwell Hofstra campus is a very strong fellowship with crrt (prismaflex ), transplant , and ... get this ... critical care ultrasound training . Good area to live and work as well . Very supportive faculty .

Again disclaimer I am not from that program but hear very good things about them

thank you for the reply. What would rank top 5 NYC programs for nephrology?

Got any input regarding the main UCLA campus program and emory?

thank you for the reply. What would rank top 5 NYC programs for nephrology?

Got any input regarding the main UCLA campus program and emory?

1) Columbia (top glomerular center in nyc)
2) Mt Sinai

Then take your pick for the rest in no specific order
Weill Cornell
NYU
Northwell Hofstra
Montefiore

Anybody withdrawing from programs?
I withdrew from houston methodist, UCSF, Duke due to time constraints. Seems like will withdraw from more...

How can you guys tell which programs filled vs didn't fill? Also, do you know if a 2nd round of interview invites go out? I see some of you guys have heard from programs I'm hoping to hear from.

So far I've heard from:
UChicago
UPMC
Tufts
BU
Cornel
Columbia
NYU
Mt Sinai
Jefferson
Drexel
Brown
Yale
GW

Last edited:
Emory has a dedicated renal ultrasound curriculum and is probably the only way for a nephrologist to get certified to do renal sono . It’s theoretically an added value in private practice to do a quick focused sono of the kidneys and bladder for a quick extra procedure .

how would the following programs ranked in terms of education and quality :

1) UCLA
2) NYU medical school
3) Drexel
4) Darthmouth
5) Lenox hills
6) UIC
7) Uni of Nebraska
8) Uni of CA irvine

thanks !

Nrmp has the data of the last 5 years. You can log in to the webpage to see who filled their spots.
How can you guys tell which programs filled vs didn't fill? Also, do you know if a 2nd round of interview invites go out? I see some of you guys have heard from programs I'm hoping to hear from.

So far I've heard from:
UChicago
UPMC
Tufts
BU
Cornel
Columbia
NYU
Mt Sinai
Jefferson
Drexel
Brown
Yale
GW

Likely will withdraw from some pending where else I hear from.

Thomas Jefferson is it a good program. Ive have heard some programs in philadelphia overwork you?

Thomas Jefferson is it a good program. Ive have heard some programs in philadelphia overwork you?

its a good name, philly will be a busy like any big city which usually mean good training as well, you will likely see everything thing possible in nephrology.

Does anybody know as to when second batches go out?? I got 15 Invites but plan to attend 10-12 of them.

does any resident here have the financial resources to attend more than 8-10 interviews :)
I dont think i will be able to go more than that numbers.

particularly if you are flying from coast to coast...

does any resident here have the financial resources to attend more than 8-10 interviews :)
I dont think i will be able to go more than that numbers.

particularly if you are flying from coast to coast...

thats why you should do a year hospitalist before applying ;)

mayo arizona
Baylor Dallas

Any new updates this week?

CCF- Cleveland
U Chicago
Yale
Mount Sinai Hospital
UPMC Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
Thomas Jefferson
BMW/MGH
BIDMC