2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have the secondary questions yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Verified 5/21

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's questions (they've been similar for the past few cycles):

1. What NYITCOM campus/site are you interested in attending? (The NYITCOM Admissions Committee reserves the right to recommend the best campus fit for you based upon your complete application.):

2. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1,000 characters)

3. Please describe how your personal characteristics, experiences and skills will uniquely contribute to NYITCOM’s diverse learning environment and mission. (Max. 1,000 characters)

4. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1,000 characters)

5. Do you have any immediate family members who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine? If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

Good luck everyone, really excited about applying here!

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering when this thread would be put up!

Hi everyone, I hope this post finds you well as you are on the way to applying to medical school this cycle. As my signature suggests, during this application cycle I will be an OMS II at Jonesboro campus for NYITCOM. I highly suggest that those with questions refer to last year’s thread, as I and other current students have several lengthy posts discussing various aspects of general schedule, daily life, and our thoughts and experiences from application to interview day, acceptance to start day, and day one to now.

With that said, I am very receptive to direct messages for particular questions you may have. I am currently enjoying a little bit of downtime following year one, but I generally return all messages within 24 hours. Please feel free to reach out.

I want to wish you all the best of luck applying! Know that as you go through this trying time, the worst is behind you. You have done the work, now comes the fun. Enjoy this part. Enjoy the travels. Enjoy the experiences. Enjoy being courted on interview day. Enjoy the process.
And remember this above all else: You belong here!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Secondary received! They want it submitted within 10 days

Secondary received and submitted

Members don't see this ad :)
is it frowned upon if you put that you're only willing to attend one of the campuses? I really don't want to move out of the general NY/NJ/PA area for family reasons, but don't want to come off like i'm not committed

is it frowned upon if you put that you're only willing to attend one of the campuses? I really don't want to move out of the general NY/NJ/PA area for family reasons, but don't want to come off like i'm not committed

No, it is not frowned upon. Ensuring you are somewhere you feel comfortable is every bit as important as getting into a school in the first place. If you are somewhere you won’t be happy, you won’t succeed. Or you’ll succeed and be miserable. For four years. Which I wouldn’t really consider much success in terms of life.

You have your reasons and your right to apply wherever you feel. The cruel but true aspect of this is that you can limit yourself by applying to only certain schools for whatever reason. But your reasons are just that, yours. Either way those schools do not (should not) care what reasons you have or where else you apply, they’ll just look at you and consider you for your designated option as they would anyone else.

Unless one campus was radically different from the other for some reason (that is not the case here to my knowledge) then you should absolutely only designate OW if that’s where you’re comfortable because you aren’t gaining or losing anything one way or the other. I would always advocate an honest selection - because if you put both but only want one, they could offer you an interview at the one you don’t want. If that happens then you would only be considered for that campus.

Basically I’m saying that I don’t think it really hurts you to designate a single campus if there is only one you want. I also don’t think it really helps to designate both, either.

Ultimately your application is your application regardless of campus designation. I have heard of schools who like an applicant but are full at their designated campus calling and asking if the applicant would consider another location versus staying on a waitlist. I do not know if we would do that, but if it comes down to being your only choice then at that time it may be worth considering what you would be wiling to do to attend school this next year as opposed to applying again next cycle.

I put Arkansas as my only campus designation. Maybe I would have been happy in OW, but for my circumstances I picked here and I am very happy with my choice.

Reactions: 5 users
No, it is not frowned upon. Ensuring you are somewhere you feel comfortable is every bit as important as getting into a school in the first place. If you are somewhere you won’t be happy, you won’t succeed. Or you’ll succeed and be miserable. For four years. Which I wouldn’t really consider much success in terms of life.

You have your reasons and your right to apply wherever you feel. The cruel but true aspect of this is that you can limit yourself by applying to only certain schools for whatever reason. But your reasons are just that, yours. Either way those schools do not (should not) care what reasons you have or where else you apply, they’ll just look at you and consider you for your designated option as they would anyone else.

Unless one campus was radically different from the other for some reason (that is not the case here to my knowledge) then you should absolutely only designate OW if that’s where you’re comfortable because you aren’t gaining or losing anything one way or the other. I would always advocate an honest selection - because if you put both but only want one, they could offer you an interview at the one you don’t want. If that happens then you would only be considered for that campus.

Basically I’m saying that I don’t think it really hurts you to designate a single campus if there is only one you want. I also don’t think it really helps to designate both, either.

Ultimately your application is your application regardless of campus designation. I have heard of schools who like an applicant but are full at their designated campus calling and asking if the applicant would consider another location versus staying on a waitlist. I do not know if we would do that, but if it comes down to being your only choice then at that time it may be worth considering what you would be wiling to do to attend school this next year as opposed to applying again next cycle.

I put Arkansas as my only campus designation. Maybe I would have been happy in OW, but for my circumstances I picked here and I am very happy with my choice.
Wow! I truly thank you for your detailed and insightful response! I really appreciate it! I

How in depth did you guys go for the question about what kind of community you'd like to practice in? Did you give examples from your past experience as to why? I have my geographic areas that I'm fond of but I don't have anything to back it up per se and definitely not 1000 characters worth.

I heard this school is losing a lot of its rotation sites... What effect will this have on the match. Currently they match a fair amount to emergency medicine in the city which is why I was looking into this school but Idk about now.

I do not have a passport style photo, is it better to not upload one than upload one?
I have a few graduation pictures, but they are not a neutral white background and I am smiling in them.

What are the actual relevant differences in the two NYITCOM campuses that I can use to show why I'm a better fit for one over the other? Both campuses share the same mission/value statement, both have opportunities to serve medically underserved areas and an integration of technology. So besides location / established year I dont really know what the main differences are?

I don't think it really shows why I'm a match for NY/AR and not the other by saying "because I like this state better." If anyone can help clarify some of the key differences or at least a better direction of where on the website i can find it?

My guess is as long as it is professional, it is ok. Definitely submit one though, or put on some dressy clothes and have a friend photograph you!
Do you think a professionally taken LinkedIn headshot photo (neutral blue background) would be ok? My undergrad did free photos at a career fair, and that's the only professional photo I have of myself in business attire.

What are the actual relevant differences in the two NYITCOM campuses that I can use to show why I'm a better fit for one over the other? Both campuses share the same mission/value statement, both have opportunities to serve medically underserved areas and an integration of technology. So besides location / established year I dont really know what the main differences are?

I don't think it really shows why I'm a match for NY/AR and not the other by saying "because I like this state better." If anyone can help clarify some of the key differences or at least a better direction of where on the website i can find it?
The community they serve. Would you like your medical education to be in a rural vs urban setting, and what type of community do you see your self practicing in after residency?

Just received an email from NYITCOM saying my secondary app payment has been received and is officially complete. Good luck everyone!

I do not have a passport style photo, is it better to not upload one than upload one?
I have a few graduation pictures, but they are not a neutral white background and I am smiling in them.

Definitely upload one. It may not seem like a big deal, but it is good to do. I went to Walgreen’s or CVS and paid $10 for a passport photo in business attire. They can put it on a flash drive for you. Someone around you probably (hopefully) has a similar option. At worst, do as another user said and have your friend take one for you - but definitely try and upload one.

Fair points. Another user addressed the significant difference between 90% of NY versus 90% of AR. Plenty of urban settings in the NY area and some suburban, but still plenty of people in need. More rural locations in AR and a couple urban within a couple hours drive. This does have an impact on some extracurricular availabilities. I can only speak to AR though on specific things we did.

But honestly, your comfort in one setting vs. another is absolutely a valid reason. Some folks have family in one area and not the other. Some grew up in Chicago, and would be more comfortable in a setting like NY. I grew up in a more suburban style town, so Jonesboro was a great fit for me.

Future practice settings are good to mention, though you wouldn’t necessarily be limited in this regard by campus choice.
AR does have an emphasis on the Delta that is unique to it - NY just isn’t in the Delta. That doesn’t mean underlying principles and goals are different between campuses, but we do like to emphasize issues the people around us face.

OW is an NYIT campus. JB is on Arkansas State’s campus. There is a small difference there.
Commuting is more of a necessity (or maybe it would be better to say ‘reality’) in OW, but probably easier in JB.

The differences make logical sense I am sure, so you should be able to find a reason to pick one over the other. Ultimately though there doesn’t really HAVE to be a good reason. Maybe you just prefer one over the other because you flipped a coin. Maybe you have always wanted to live in NY. Maybe just the idea that you can take a weekend and go to NYC is enough. If you really don’t have a reason to pick one, pick both.

I do think that if you publish the “I flipped a coin” idea, it would be funny. Maybe just unique enough to draw some extra attention to your app!

Reactions: 2 users
2' submitted late last night, feeling good about this school

Just submitted my secondary, but did not receive notification that it was submitted or whatever, just got a receipt for my paypal payment. Did this happen to anyone else?

am I the only one struggling to keep these under 1,000 characters?

Reactions: 3 users
"After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine." Is this asking about geographic preference or the community in terms of types of people? What if I dont have a preference lol is that a bad answer?

"After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine." Is this asking about geographic preference or the community in terms of types of people? What if I dont have a preference lol is that a bad answer?

I talked about what type of environment I would like to practice in: rural versus urban, underserved or affluent, and then I also mentioned that I prefer a busy clinic day over one with a lot of time between patients.

Received Secondary 6/27
Submitted Secondary 07/01

Only problem: I do not have a non-science LOR as I am a non-trad student. Will that be a problem?
And I picked NYITCOM-NY as my only choice, but my app is catered around serving the underserved. Do you think they will reroute me to the AR campus?

Received Secondary 6/27

Only problem: I do not have a non-science LOR as I am a non-trad student. Will that be a problem?
And I picked NYITCOM-NY as my only choice, but my app is catered around serving the underserved. Do you think they will reroute me to the AR campus?
I have the issue. I emailed and asked them about it and they said, NYITCOM will accept a third letter from a science faculty member in place of the non-science requirement.

Received Secondary 6/27

They will not reroute you. If you select a campus then they consider you for that campus and not the other. If you select both they pick a campus for you based on your app and consider you for it. There are underserved in the NY area as well.

NYITCOM is used to working with non traditional students, and I think it is generally well known that academic LOR are more difficult to acquire after being out for a couple years. I’m sure this won’t hurt you if your situation is clear.

I thought this app would take a lot of time, but quickly was reminded of how short 1,000 characters is!

Submitted secondary today 7/5/2018

Is there a way to view your supplemental application after submitting it (or perhaps make changes -- foolish to ask, I know)? I just submitted and paid via PayPal, and received the email from PayPal confirming that I paid shortly thereafter. I've noticed for most that it takes a day or two to receive the app complete email from nyitcom.

My concern -- I believe I incorrectly marked "No" to having previously applied, although I actually did. I answered the question following, asking what I did to strengthen my application. But I'm worried that things are now submitted with an error and my app will get tossed as a result.

Thanks.

You could call or send them an email. As a student I cannot say with 100% certainty, but nobody in administration seems to be the type to toss you for something like that. Maybe they have a rule or something but that seems a touch extreme to me. Especially with that being the question. If you incorrectly marked whether you had been charged with a felony then I think the conversation might be different. I would personally rather my colleagues be judged on their whole person as opposed to if they mismarked that they were a reapplicant.

With all that said, good luck this year! I hope it works out for you!

Hi everyone! Incoming first year at NYIT at JB. Obvi I don’t know squat in terms of class since we don’t start for 3 weeks but I’m rooting for y’all! I remember not too long ago when I was literally checking this bad boy everyday. This process is long af so try to be patient! Ill do my best to answer your questions about the whole process in general and specific to NYIT !

Reactions: 7 users
Secondary submitted! This is one of my top choices so I hope I get some love! cGPA 3.55 sGPA 3.42 MCAT 506. NY resident.

Hey everyone, rising OMS-II at Old Westbury. Also feel free to shoot me questions about our lovely institution, I'll answer what I can.

If a school's average MCAT is 504-505, do they accept people with 500 MCATs?

If a school's average MCAT is 504-505, do they accept people with 500 MCATs?

Yes, they will. You’re more than just an MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted my secondary last week, is there anyway I can confirm NYIT got my LORs, MCAT and application submitted. Is there a checklist or anything?

I submitted my secondary last week, is there anyway I can confirm NYIT got my LORs, MCAT and application submitted. Is there a checklist or anything?

You should get a complete email soon. I got my complete email 5-6 business days after submission.

1. Which NYITCOM campus/site are you interested in attending?

2. Would you consider attending either campus?

3. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Describe an experience you have had in interacting/relating with people whose backgrounds are different than your own. What did you learn from it? How did it change your perspective? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)

6. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

7. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM?

8. If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

9. Do you have any immediate family members (ONLY grandparents, parents, brothers/sisters, spouses) who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

10. If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

11. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Any info on when we would start hearing back on if we got an interview?

Any info on when we would start hearing back on if we got an interview?

Last year, I believe first interviews were in September. I was invited in late November and interview until Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my secondary from NYITCOM on June 27th and totally forgot about the fact that they asked to have it submitted within 10 days. Do you think it would be worth it for me to submit still or will I go straight to the rejection pile?