2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school do silent rejections? I’ve been complete for a while now and haven’t heard anything since the initial complete email!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed today, place was nice, interviewer was super pleasant, 9/10 would stress for no reason again

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my acceptance email there was info about a small scholarship (10%) but I have not heard anything else regarding financial aid.

Do you mean they awarded you one in the email or that they gave you information to apply for one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes in the email it said I have been awarded one.

Im curious did you list any financial need on your application? I dont remember there being any place on either the primary or secondary that I could request a scholarship?

Reactions: 1 user
Im curious did you list any financial need on your application? I dont remember there being any place on either the primary or secondary that I could request a scholarship?
I think it’s a scholarship based on where you live though I’m not positive. I think they give it to all students who live in the “delta”.

Currently a NYITCOM A-state OMS1. Did you already have your interview at NYIT? and Though NYIT is a new campus it isn't a new school. We already have our accreditation(So does ARCOM) and have 40 years behind us. The Professors and staff are the same as New York which is done via tele-education. We have professors on both campuses that teach us with similar support systems. We are counted as one big class and are ranked and graded as one big class (NY+AR). Which has its ups and downs. Because we receive the EXACT same education as they do from professors to tests and lectures (outside of our OMM professors who are literally different people).

I will say, I have talked to some NY NYITCOM students and it seems that this (JB) campus is getting more attention and care than they are up there. We have a better faculty to student ratio, and it seems that we truly are a small family here. Everyone knows each other and we have a great group of people here.

Im from virginia, and I will say that Jonesboro is a little lacking in terms of food and culture. and there isn't much to do around here. However, Memphis is only an hour away and so on the weekends I get a chance to go there and enjoy good food and somethings. but if you are a person of color or a minority, it does get a little testy around here in terms of how people (General population, not school) treat you. Lots of micro aggressions that just build up.

I know what you are referring to about the posts about how ARCOM has better community support and better rotation sites also. Its the same couple of users posting the same things on all of the NYITCOM forums. So I don't know to believe it or not. From what we see there are a ton of rotation sites that we have received around the area ranging from Missouri to Memphis and so on. Plus as we get more students in on rotations, the deans (Dr.Speights, Main dean, and Dr.Diehl our Rotation site dean/manager) have indicated that we are gaining traction in the area and are continuously getting opportunities to open new rotation sites.

We have a lot of resources in terms of technology, professors, programs to use. Teachers and staff are always here to help us. I mean even the governor of Arkansas himself has said that he supports the school and is looking forward to working with us. So really don't know where these rumors are coming from. I would believe them if that's what I felt, but its the same person basically posting on all these forums. The school has officially gotten traction and is on a roll. They already have their academic stuff figured out, though they are continuously trying to do small adjustments but the main curriculum is there. NYITCOM means business and they will be successful in making this school successful.

We also received population health certificates which help us with knowing how populations are effected, their histories and many different factors that play into their health. Which I LOVE especially talking about health policy and the politics that lead us to the American health epidemics. idk if other schools get that, I know NYITCOM New York doesn't get the certificate but they get some of the same classes. We are also given the opportunity to get a Tele-medicine certificate, in which you enroll in some more classes and when you graduate you will have that, great way to learn another growing field of medicine while still in school.

The school is tough. its pass/fail with a 69.5 and below failing. and people say their remediation process is pretty rough, which it looks like from what I see. However I have been lucky enough to do well so far (knock on wood because we have one more block to go) and not too worried as we enter the end of (what they tell us) the hardest semester of med school. They don't play games and want you to succeed. so they will be on top of you to do well and have the resources to best help you. The school knows the formula for what makes a good school and even better doctors. NYITCOM is the name I went with and have enjoyed it so far. Im proud of this school and excited for what they have in store for me for the next 4 years.

Do you think its hard to push above that 69.5%? My major interest in NYITCOM over other schools stemmed from the fact that it was pass/fail and so there is less pressure and more weight off my shoulder. Should the p/f system be taken with a grain of salt?

I believe the 10% scholarship was awarded to those accepted to the Jonesboro campus. I remember them saying something about how students attending the Jonesboro campus are automatically eligible and will be given the Delta Leaders Scholarship.

I believe the 10% scholarship was awarded to those accepted to the Jonesboro campus. I remember them saying something about how students attending the Jonesboro campus are automatically eligible and will be given the Delta Leaders Scholarship.
yeah that's true, I received it.

Hello!! Was just wondering if i still had a chance here. I only applied to the OW campus. I was complete in early September with a Lizzy M score of 69.

Echoing/elaborating on previous statements:
Delta Leaders Scholarship is 10% of tuition and applies to all accepted at the Jonesboro campus. This falls in line with the mission of this campus specifically in wanting to bring physicians to the Delta region (sorry OW).

The Pass/Fail system is commonplace at the majority of institutions I have been to/seen/read about. The Honors system, in which a designation of Honors is given to those in the top 10% (both campuses ranked together) is also pretty standard. The High-Pass system is not always done, but we now do it.

Please do note that the presence of a Honors/High-Pass/Pass/Fail system does not mean that we abandon percentage scores. Obviously a ranking system works better if we can compare a 73% to a 75% as opposed to a Pass to a Pass.

All are given the tools to succeed. These schools have no shortage of resources, both textual and in people, to help you succeed. I do not believe this to be specific to NYIT, but it is something I feel we do well.

In truth, our curriculum does not vary greatly from 900 other schools - which is a good thing, because there is a reason for it. You can read about the Helix Model, pure systems-based, etc. but they all have the same goal and the material is scarcely any different.

Like many other schools, we have USMLE/COMLEX content writers on staff, so the idea would be that our questions on exams should be indicative of Boards. Is this always 100% true? Probably not. But I imagine it is more true than not. There are few gaps and those that exist are easily covered in the bevy of resources readily available.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!! Was just wondering if i still had a chance here. I only applied to the OW campus. I was complete in early September with a Lizzy M score of 69.
That's what my score was and about when I applied, so you're good in theory. Just may have to wait a while to hear from the school.

Welp heard nothing from OW as of yet and I interviewed 9/20. Looking like a gg for me

They only release decisions about once a month, and it seems like majority of the people who heard back in November were mid-Aug to mid-Sept. interviewees, with a few late Sept. and early Oct. stragglers. Just hope that you'll receive an acceptance in mid December when they release more decisions!

I got an interview invitation for Old Westbury campus on 11/12/18!!
I submitted secondary on 07/09/18. LM ~ 68, OOS - NJ, ORM.
Interview dates available in mid-January 2019.

Unfortunately, I will be declining the interview as I have been accepted to my state DO.
Good luck to the rest!

Is anyone applying to the DO/Phd program? I'm trying to figure out if it is similar to MD/PhD in the aspect that tuition is free and when the deadline to apply for it is.

Is anyone applying to the DO/Phd program? I'm trying to figure out if it is similar to MD/PhD in the aspect that tuition is free and when the deadline to apply for it is.

I do believe it is fully funded, but you apply only after being accepted.

For those interested in an accepted students Facebook page, our SGA does make one. It usually does not get made until early Spring when the roster settles out and it goes more from an “accepted students” to “class page.”

Obviously the idea is to have a closed group where those that request to join are verified before being allowed on. That way members of the class page are actually members of the class. When you elect class officers our SGA will then make them admins of the page for moderating.

This is how it was for my class and for 2022 here in Jonesboro. I posted their link in the forum last year once I was made aware of it. If I find it made then I will share here again.

Just letting you all know.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 10/23 and have not heard anything... I have another DO deposit due mid December, hoping to hear back by then. Would it be appropriate to email them and explain my situation? Don’t want to put down 2 deposits but I’d rather go to nyitcom.

Interviewed 10/23 and have not heard anything... I have another DO deposit due mid December, hoping to hear back by then. Would it be appropriate to email them and explain my situation? Don’t want to put down 2 deposits but I’d rather go to nyitcom.

Pretty much in the exact same boat. I don't think it'd hurt to reach out, but I'm also not sure what they'd be able to do. If you do reach out, could you post the response you get? Who knows, maybe we'll be classmates next year!

Seems like the decisions come out around middle of every month (Oct 15 and Nov 13th, Monday and Tuesday respectively). Seeing that the 15th of December is a Saturday and current acceptees need to respond by Dec. 13th (it killed me seeing that date because the deposit is 1,500$ and I want/hope to hear back from MDs), I'm going to assume the next set of decisions will arrive probably around 11th-14th. And of course the 10th the earliest if we're going by the two previous waves of acceptances, but anytime before that is also possible?

Has this school started sending out rejections? Ive been complete since the end of June and i havent heard anything back from them. The wait is killing me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they do silent rejections?.. I completed around early August... and haven't heard anything from them.... no reject, hold, II, etc. Should I call?

They don't do silent rejections, or at least so they say, but they may as well. Pretty much they'll hold off on rejecting you until the very last minute, which is as good as a silent rejection.

Does anyone know when those who interviewed in mid-late October may hear back? Trying to avoid putting down a deposit at another school by Dec 14. Yikes!

Does anyone know when those who interviewed in mid-late October may hear back? Trying to avoid putting down a deposit at another school by Dec 14. Yikes!

I have the exact same situation. From what we know, decisions are released once a month, in the middle of the month. The November 13th decisions were for those who interviewed mid. Aug-mid. Sept, though I saw quite a few from late Sept. and early Oct. on this thread receive decisions as well. So all we can hope for is that the admissions committee makes decisions for us and those decisions are released by 12/14!

I have the exact same situation. From what we know, decisions are released once a month, in the middle of the month. The November 13th decisions were for those who interviewed mid. Aug-mid. Sept, though I saw quite a few from late Sept. and early Oct. on this thread receive decisions as well. So all we can hope for is that the admissions committee makes decisions for us and those decisions are released by 12/14!

Yeah I interviewed on Oct 16. I am really hoping to hear back asap!

Yeah I interviewed on Oct 16. I am really hoping to hear back asap!

Me too! I'm trying not to let my nerves get the best of me, but I've been checking my email a little too frequently for it to be healthy. Best of luck to you, and hope you don't need to put down any more deposits than necessary!

Is the acceptance reply form binding? I'm stilling waiting on MDs..... and am willing to put down the deposit for NYIT

Is the acceptance reply form binding? I'm stilling waiting on MDs..... and am willing to put down the deposit for NYIT
Usually they are not... the deposit is typically to hold your seat in the class. You can always leave to take a seat elsewhere, you just have to notify them and you do not get your money back.

And DO's charge such high deposits because there are people who do not actually want to go DO, but go DO as a back up plan.. some of us do actually want to go DO for the sake of DO and not as a back up plan

Usually they are not... the deposit is typically to hold your seat in the class. You can always leave to take a seat elsewhere, you just have to notify them and you do not get your money back.

And DO's charge such high deposits because there are people who do not actually want to go DO, but go DO as a back up plan.. some of us do actually want to go DO for the sake of DO and not as a back up plan
crazy

I called admissions about this question a few months ago and they said it is NOT binding. If you decide the not attend NYITCOM you just have to send an email to someone (actually not sure who exactly) and you’ll be out, but you’ll have forfeited the deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello everyone! Would any current student at NYITCOM be able to tell me a little bit about their schedule? It would be great if I can hear from both tracks. I really enjoyed the DPC simulation during interview day but I’d like to see what my days will be like since i’m planning on traveling from Brooklyn. Thank you in advance !

II today to Old Westbury campus. Complete 8/10. Very OOS (west coast)

Completed real early and still nothing.....(07/05)
Anyone think I still have a chance?
Lizzy M: 63
In State

Has anyone applied to the DPC curriculum at OW after getting accepted yet?

any word on when the next round of acceptances are going out? I remember people talking about calling to see if the decisions would go out in time for the 12/14 deadline that many other schools have, so I'm wondering if anyone has found out.

Complete the first week of November
3.37 cGPA 3.8 sGPA 501 mcat
Strong letters, upward trend gpa, good ec's
In state applicant
Do i still have a chance? Freaking out about this school as it is a top pick for me. Designated LI campus

Reactions: 2 users
In state applicant
Do i still have a chance? Freaking out about this school as it is a top pick for me. Designated LI campus
The average for NYIT is 505, with about a 3.6 GPA. Although your MCAT is a little low, the GPA may give you a chance, granted you have strong EC's. If you get an interview, I don't think you'll see it until later in the app cycle, like February or March. Good luck!

In state applicant
I think you have a good chance