2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by chizledfrmstone, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Medicine.Medicine

I did both of these and the criminal background check. Im still waiting to hear from others schools as well. I haven't done anything with immunizations however.

2. sammie25

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I submitted my immunizations, however I have not received anything about the background check yet like @Medicine.Medicine

3. Drakozord X

Are you still undecided on NYITCOM or are you definitely attending?

4. sammie25

I am definitely attending NYITCOM unless I hear back from an MD school.

zaitoun likes this.
  5. sstb64

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys!! I am applying in June. Maybe, I should not be in this thread, but this is my top choice (in old Westbury)!! And, seeing all these acceptances is very enlightening! My stats: 4.0 cGPA/sGPA, tutored biology at my university for 3 semesters. Volunteered at 2 hospitals/Shadowed a doctor -- plan on shadowing 2 more. LOR from science professors as well, plan on asking for a LOR from a doctor soon. I plan on also applying early. I am from NY as well. Pakistani (don't know if this matters??). I plan on also getting a job as a patient care tech! HOWEVER, my MCAT is coming up soon and I am freaking out cause I keep scoring decent in the sciences and CARS has stagnated around 121-123!!! My other sections C/P 126~128, B/B: 128~130, P/S: 130~132. But that low CARS section has me in crippling anxiety which caused me to spend hours stalking this thread and now I grew the courage to ask if I have some chance in the upcoming cycle (2020!)

6. G>/\\/

Sounds like you have a very good, well rounded application. CARS was also my worst section. When I took it I though I killed it but it turned out to be my worst (125) just like my practice tests. I did go down a few points from last practice tests. Don’t worry too much about it. You should focus on doing as best you can and do as many practice problems as you can. That’s my take. And yes make sure to get at least one good LOR from a doctor, preferably a DO. Mine was from an MD but it didn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

sstb64 likes this.
  7. Drakozord X

Same here ahaha. I just wasn't sure if I had to submit the immunization if I was unsure/waiting to hear back from MD.

8. So worde

2+ Year Member

CARS was my worst section as well but somehow on test day I did very well. I'm not sure if I really just got lucky or if I actually knew what I was doing in CARS the whole time but I think it was mostly luck for me. My advice would be just to keep really focusing on CARS and doing at least 4-5 passages a day up until your exam to really get your mind in the right state. When it comes to the test just relax, try not to stress during the CARS section, and just get through it as best as you can. You can do it! You're almost there!

sstb64 likes this.
  9. sstb64

Pre-Medical
    This means a lot! I really appreciate such positivity by the threaders!! I have been doing 9 a day from Uworld and I hope to not let anxiety get the best of me during test day! Thank u

G>/\\/ likes this.
  10. sammie25

I just submitted mine since the website said to turn it in within 2 weeks.

11. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    2 weeks after what?

12. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    I received an email about the background check so I went ahead and completed that. However, I haven't submitted my immunizations.

13. sammie25

Sorry! 2 weeks after submitting the acceptance reply form.

zaitoun likes this.
  14. FutureDR1995

I submitted my immunizations shortly after the background information. It probably would have taken longer if I hadn’t already had them on hand from my job.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Drakozord X

I still havent been asked to submit a background check

16. G>/\\/

Is there a deadline for immunizations? Haven’t turned in acceptance form or deposit yet.

17. Sleepysloth96

zaitoun and G>/\\/ like this.
  18. jan717

Pre-Medical
    did anyone apply to the DPC curriculum? Can anyone comment on it? I applied and got accepted, and will be attending a class session tomorrow!

nicejewishboi likes this.
  19. Medicine.Medicine

I applied and got waitlisted, so when you visit a session and if you decide it's not for you, I'll gladly take your spot ;)

jan717 and zaitoun like this.
  20. Ferry Boats

Anyone think we’re gonna hear back from OW today

21. Tree1996

I feel like today or tomorrow, I interviewed back in November, hoping for some love

22. Ferry Boats

Me too I keep checking my email every 5 minutes

23. kazill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They usually send decisions out at the end of the work day, so hold off the email checking till 5pm or so, for sanity's sake.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. hopeful1605

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! I was just wondering if any of you guys know when they stop sending IIs? I just want to know if I should stop hoping for an II.

zaitoun likes this.
  25. DrDumbDrum

DrDumbDrum Sometimes wrong, always terrified

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed in October and am still waiting to hear back... any other October friends here?

26. umbreon_14

Same here D:::

27. kazill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Last interview invite from last year's thread was 2/28, so there's still time. I didn't get mine till 2/15.

hopeful1605 and Drakozord X like this.
  28. sfjblue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hoping for some news as well, interviewed 11/2!!

29. futuredoc1297

futuredoc1297 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    10/26 Interview still waiting

30. Drakozord X

Hello! I have a few questions about NYITCOM that I'm hoping you'd be willing to answer:
    -How often do you go to lectures? I believe I've read somewhere that lectures aren't mandatory, but is it possible to do well without going to lectures at all (just watching the recorded ones online)?

-How are the exams at NYITCOM? Do they prepare students well for the COMLEX and USMLE?

-During the tour on my interview day (it was raining!), we got to see two buildings for the school. Do you feel like there is sufficient amount of space on campus to study?

Thank you in advance!

31. kazill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. I don't go to lecture at all. It's totally possible to do well, in fact you may do better not going (as has been my case). All the lectures are recorded and uploaded immediately after they finish, so if you wish to watch them at 2x you can. I mostly study using outside resources and double-check that I'm on track with the school's material. I've yet to fail an exam, so I do well enough without going.

2. The exams are... fine. The professors write the questions and they're of variable quality. Some of the faculty write for COMLEX/USMLE I believe, and usually you can tell when it's one of their questions. Some of them test of useless minutiae, and you're going to get that at every school that writes its own questions. For the most part the exams are passable even if you only study using board-prep materials (although you'll have to refer to lecture for things like clinical skills and OMM). The exams themselves don't really prep you well for COMLEX/USMLE in my opinion, you'll want to spend a good amount of time prepping for them with outside resources/QBanks.

3. For the most part yes. Space can be at a premium during exam times for us or the other professional programs (Nursing, P.A., P.T., etc) but if you want to study on campus you can find a space, whether in the library or in silent study. We also have access to the undergrad library, so you can study there if you like. It's a commuter school, so the undergrad student population doesn't tend to be very high on campus.

Drakozord X likes this.
  32. Drakozord X

Thank you very much!!

33. umbreon_14

I feel like at this rate, theyre not gonna send anything out until maybe friday LOL im so impatient

zaitoun and DrDumbDrum like this.
  34. Ferry Boats

I have a feeling it’s gonna be tomorrow lol. I can’t wait till Friday

DrDumbDrum and Mjd0155 like this.
  35. Tree1996

it looks like decisions usually come out on the 14th or 15th, wish it was today smh

36. umbreon_14

wait really? i thought they sent them out on mondays and fridays depending on the month

37. Tree1996

Oh I might be wrong, it was probably just that the 14th was a Friday last month.

38. Drakozord X

I think 14th and 15th seems like the trend :)

Tree1996 and Mjd0155 like this.
  39. G>/\\/

So I got the acceptance email last week, and the physical letter today. The physical letter says to sign the Delta Leadership scholarship acceptance form by next week, but the email says I don’t have to submit the deposit and the school
    Acceptance form by the 31st. What happens if I sign all of the forms but then decide to go to another school I am waiting on? Do I just lose the deposit money? I just know there are strict rules about letting other schools know about being accepted to other schools.

40. Tree1996

Which campus did you get accepted to?

41. Drakozord X

That scholarship goes to those who get accepted to JB campus.

zaitoun and Tree1996 like this.
  42. G>/\\/

Jonesboro

Tree1996 likes this.
  43. autumn107

Pre-Medical
    November acceptances went out on the 13th, a Tuesday so maybe today is our lucky day?!

44. Ferry Boats

Crickets so far ☹️ Was really hoping today’s the day

45. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    anyone applied to their baptist memorial health care patnership program?

46. umbreon_14

i feel like it should be this week at the very least if not today!!! its ok we got this:)

Ferry Boats and DrDumbDrum like this.
  47. umbreon_14

Did you try emailing or calling them about it?

48. FutureDR1995

I am!

zaitoun likes this.
  49. DoctorPose

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This does mean that you are competing for a seat in JB. I have yet to hear of a student interviewing at one campus and being accepted to another. This is my interpretation of the events, anyway.

The deposit reserves your seat and is non-refundable at most schools. There is always a debate on the ethics of requiring a payment and whether or not it is fair to say to students “even if you lose the money, you are reserving a guarantee of a seat in medical school while waiting for maybe another option to open up.” I think the feeling comfort is worth it, but that is my opinion. I understand we all have different financial situations.

Just be mindful of AACOMAS rules regarding timelines and talk with the school if anything comes up. They will be as flexible as is reasonable, I would imagine. You would be surprised how willing the schools are to help you interpret AACOMAS guidelines on acceptances and whatnot if you ask. I do not recommend missing scholarship money in the event that you do come to JB, though. Take the free money!

50. umbreon_14

Has anyone called OW admissions to see if they are releasing acceptances this week?

#900 umbreon_14, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019