2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!! I am applying in June. Maybe, I should not be in this thread, but this is my top choice (in old Westbury)!! And, seeing all these acceptances is very enlightening! My stats: 4.0 cGPA/sGPA, tutored biology at my university for 3 semesters. Volunteered at 2 hospitals/Shadowed a doctor -- plan on shadowing 2 more. LOR from science professors as well, plan on asking for a LOR from a doctor soon. I plan on also applying early. I am from NY as well. Pakistani (don't know if this matters??). I plan on also getting a job as a patient care tech! HOWEVER, my MCAT is coming up soon and I am freaking out cause I keep scoring decent in the sciences and CARS has stagnated around 121-123!!! My other sections C/P 126~128, B/B: 128~130, P/S: 130~132. But that low CARS section has me in crippling anxiety which caused me to spend hours stalking this thread and now I grew the courage to ask if I have some chance in the upcoming cycle (2020!)

CARS was my worst section as well but somehow on test day I did very well. I'm not sure if I really just got lucky or if I actually knew what I was doing in CARS the whole time but I think it was mostly luck for me. My advice would be just to keep really focusing on CARS and doing at least 4-5 passages a day up until your exam to really get your mind in the right state. When it comes to the test just relax, try not to stress during the CARS section, and just get through it as best as you can. You can do it! You're almost there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CARS was my worst section as well but somehow on test day I did very well. I'm not sure if I really just got lucky or if I actually knew what I was doing in CARS the whole time but I think it was mostly luck for me. My advice would be just to keep really focusing on CARS and doing at least 4-5 passages a day up until your exam to really get your mind in the right state. When it comes to the test just relax, try not to stress during the CARS section, and just get through it as best as you can. You can do it! You're almost there!
This means a lot! I really appreciate such positivity by the threaders!! I have been doing 9 a day from Uworld and I hope to not let anxiety get the best of me during test day! Thank u

Same here ahaha. I just wasn't sure if I had to submit the immunization if I was unsure/waiting to hear back from MD.

I just submitted mine since the website said to turn it in within 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my immunizations shortly after the background information. It probably would have taken longer if I hadn’t already had them on hand from my job.

I submitted my immunizations shortly after the background information. It probably would have taken longer if I hadn’t already had them on hand from my job.
I still havent been asked to submit a background check

Is there a deadline for immunizations? Haven’t turned in acceptance form or deposit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a deadline for immunizations? Haven’t turned in acceptance form or deposit yet.

As far as I know, we were supposed to turn in the immunizations form 2 weeks after we turned in the acceptance reply form.

I didn’t receive anything about background checks yet. I’m also attending NYIT-OW unless I get accepted to MD.

Reactions: 1 users
did anyone apply to the DPC curriculum? Can anyone comment on it? I applied and got accepted, and will be attending a class session tomorrow!

did anyone apply to the DPC curriculum? Can anyone comment on it? I applied and got accepted, and will be attending a class session tomorrow!
I applied and got waitlisted, so when you visit a session and if you decide it's not for you, I'll gladly take your spot ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too I keep checking my email every 5 minutes
They usually send decisions out at the end of the work day, so hold off the email checking till 5pm or so, for sanity's sake.

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! I was just wondering if any of you guys know when they stop sending IIs? I just want to know if I should stop hoping for an II.

I interviewed in October and am still waiting to hear back... any other October friends here?

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! I was just wondering if any of you guys know when they stop sending IIs? I just want to know if I should stop hoping for an II.
Last interview invite from last year's thread was 2/28, so there's still time. I didn't get mine till 2/15.

Hoping for some news as well, interviewed 11/2!!

Last interview invite from last year's thread was 2/28, so there's still time. I didn't get mine till 2/15.
Hello! I have a few questions about NYITCOM that I'm hoping you'd be willing to answer:
-How often do you go to lectures? I believe I've read somewhere that lectures aren't mandatory, but is it possible to do well without going to lectures at all (just watching the recorded ones online)?

-How are the exams at NYITCOM? Do they prepare students well for the COMLEX and USMLE?

-During the tour on my interview day (it was raining!), we got to see two buildings for the school. Do you feel like there is sufficient amount of space on campus to study?

Thank you in advance!

Hello! I have a few questions about NYITCOM that I'm hoping you'd be willing to answer:
-How often do you go to lectures? I believe I've read somewhere that lectures aren't mandatory, but is it possible to do well without going to lectures at all (just watching the recorded ones online)?

-How are the exams at NYITCOM? Do they prepare students well for the COMLEX and USMLE?

-During the tour on my interview day (it was raining!), we got to see two buildings for the school. Do you feel like there is sufficient amount of space on campus to study?

Thank you in advance!
1. I don't go to lecture at all. It's totally possible to do well, in fact you may do better not going (as has been my case). All the lectures are recorded and uploaded immediately after they finish, so if you wish to watch them at 2x you can. I mostly study using outside resources and double-check that I'm on track with the school's material. I've yet to fail an exam, so I do well enough without going.

2. The exams are... fine. The professors write the questions and they're of variable quality. Some of the faculty write for COMLEX/USMLE I believe, and usually you can tell when it's one of their questions. Some of them test of useless minutiae, and you're going to get that at every school that writes its own questions. For the most part the exams are passable even if you only study using board-prep materials (although you'll have to refer to lecture for things like clinical skills and OMM). The exams themselves don't really prep you well for COMLEX/USMLE in my opinion, you'll want to spend a good amount of time prepping for them with outside resources/QBanks.

3. For the most part yes. Space can be at a premium during exam times for us or the other professional programs (Nursing, P.A., P.T., etc) but if you want to study on campus you can find a space, whether in the library or in silent study. We also have access to the undergrad library, so you can study there if you like. It's a commuter school, so the undergrad student population doesn't tend to be very high on campus.

I feel like at this rate, theyre not gonna send anything out until maybe friday LOL im so impatient

it looks like decisions usually come out on the 14th or 15th, wish it was today smh

Reactions: 2 users
So I got the acceptance email last week, and the physical letter today. The physical letter says to sign the Delta Leadership scholarship acceptance form by next week, but the email says I don’t have to submit the deposit and the school
Acceptance form by the 31st. What happens if I sign all of the forms but then decide to go to another school I am waiting on? Do I just lose the deposit money? I just know there are strict rules about letting other schools know about being accepted to other schools.

So I got the acceptance email last week, and the physical letter today. The physical letter says to sign the Delta Leadership scholarship acceptance form by next week, but the email says I don’t have to submit the deposit and the school
Acceptance form by the 31st. What happens if I sign all of the forms but then decide to go to another school I am waiting on? Do I just lose the deposit money? I just know there are strict rules about letting other schools know about being accepted to other schools.

Which campus did you get accepted to?

November acceptances went out on the 13th, a Tuesday so maybe today is our lucky day?!

Reactions: 2 users
anyone applied to their baptist memorial health care patnership program?

Hi all, I received an II this morning at the JB campus! I am very grateful and excited, but I had clearly expressed interest and wrote all about NYIT's OW campus in my secondary.

Because I am interviewing at the JB campus will I only be considered over there? I did submit my secondary kind of late so it may be that the OW campus is already filled...
Did you try emailing or calling them about it?

Hi all, I received an II this morning at the JB campus! I am very grateful and excited, but I had clearly expressed interest and wrote all about NYIT's OW campus in my secondary.

Because I am interviewing at the JB campus will I only be considered over there? I did submit my secondary kind of late so it may be that the OW campus is already filled...

This does mean that you are competing for a seat in JB. I have yet to hear of a student interviewing at one campus and being accepted to another. This is my interpretation of the events, anyway.

The deposit reserves your seat and is non-refundable at most schools. There is always a debate on the ethics of requiring a payment and whether or not it is fair to say to students “even if you lose the money, you are reserving a guarantee of a seat in medical school while waiting for maybe another option to open up.” I think the feeling comfort is worth it, but that is my opinion. I understand we all have different financial situations.

Just be mindful of AACOMAS rules regarding timelines and talk with the school if anything comes up. They will be as flexible as is reasonable, I would imagine. You would be surprised how willing the schools are to help you interpret AACOMAS guidelines on acceptances and whatnot if you ask. I do not recommend missing scholarship money in the event that you do come to JB, though. Take the free money!

Has anyone called OW admissions to see if they are releasing acceptances this week?

Last edited:
Do people get email or snail mail for post interview decisions? JB campus..

Submitted my secondary in July and nothing... anyone else in the same boat?

I applied and got waitlisted, so when you visit a session and if you decide it's not for you, I'll gladly take your spot ;)
LOL sorry I actually really loved the session but I really hope that you get a spot:)

Got an interview invite for the Arkansas campus a couple days ago.
How are you guys getting to Jonesboro, AR? I'm seeing flights to Little Rock, AR and Memphis, TN but none to Jonesboro directly from there.