2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well...there's the official wait list email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted lol, interviewed 2/14 LM 70

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So.... when do they start working off the waitlist lmao. Disheartening because haven’t got an acceptance yet but waiting to hear from 3 other schools too but really liked this one

This waitlist seems pretty long... especially if they are still interviewing until May...

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 2/14 WL today! Is there a priority WL? Should I call and ask about it?

Interviewed 2/14 WL today! Is there a priority WL? Should I call and ask about it?

I don’t think there is but I am going to probably call myself to get more info on how the waitlist works tomorrow and can post it on here

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I called last time, the person told me that the waitlist is unranked. He said each time there is a vacancy or a new spot open, they will review all the files to decide who to fill the spot with. However, this seems hard to believe since there are so many people on the waitlist.

When I called last time, the person told me that the waitlist is unranked. He said each time there is a vacancy or a new spot open, they will review all the files to decide who to fill the spot with. However, this seems hard to believe since there are so many people on the waitlist.

That’s what I figured. It seems like everyone they don’t accept gets put on the waitlist.

For people who interviewed on 3/8/19 in Jonesboro.
Did you hear anything?

if anyone got their hands on the match list for this year let a brother know

Does anyone know when you would have to fully commit to NYITCOM? In other words, this is my current #1 school that I have been accepted to, however I am still waiting on 1 more that I'm more interested in. I know NYITCOM mentions tuition is due for half the year in mid-April for us who were accepted a bit back. If I withdraw after this date will it be refunded? I am going to call financial aid Monday, but am stressed and was wondering if anyone was in a similar boat.

Does anyone know when you would have to fully commit to NYITCOM? In other words, this is my current #1 school that I have been accepted to, however I am still waiting on 1 more that I'm more interested in. I know NYITCOM mentions tuition is due for half the year in mid-April for us who were accepted a bit back. If I withdraw after this date will it be refunded? I am going to call financial aid Monday, but am stressed and was wondering if anyone was in a similar boat.

I didn’t realize tuition was due so early. I’m still waiting to hear back from two other schools. Please update the thread with what you find out.

Anyone have the match list from yesterday? Heard it was great and would love to check it out. :)

Match information takes a little bit to put out. Current students can expect information in the coming weeks, then it should be made public. Benchmark should be NRMP, if you go to their page and do not see it, then we likely will not have it either.

I am looking forward to seeing the numbers as well, and even more excited for next year when Jonesboro has their first Match class and we see the first year of one full ACGME Match.

Is there any 3rd or 4th year students at JB that can talk about rotations? Read some things online about them not being organized and NYIT-JB not really being welcomed by the state/local hospitals. I don't know if any of this is true.

I know they are fully welcome at a one of the hospital systems in Memphis that has several hospitals in the area! I worked there and they have had several students rotate there! This year they also have started a partnership with this hospital! I would venture to say they probably aren’t as welcome in Little Rock, AR where the state medical school is (UAMS). But, there are also several private hospitals in Little Rock that I am sure are more welcoming.

The rotation sites I've seen:
Jonesboro, AR
Paragould, AR
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers area)
Mena, AR
West Plains, MO
Memphis, TN
DeSoto, MS

I think that's only about half the sites. I think there are a few others in NEA and I imagine some in Southern Arkansas.

Did you get an email or a call?
I got an email, then the official letter came in the mail 4 days later.

Thank god I didn't get a call, I don't think they would have been able to hear much over my mom screaming haha.

And just a helpful note for anyone waitlisted - I got my acceptance letter 30 minutes after sending a letter of intent (I am definitely accepting my offer). I was hesitant to send a letter at first, but my friend pushed me to write it; needless to say, if you really do want to go to the school, send one!

For those of you who submitted an LOI, who did you address/send it to?

The rotation sites I've seen:
Jonesboro, AR
Paragould, AR
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers area)
Mena, AR
West Plains, MO
Memphis, TN
DeSoto, MS

I think that's only about half the sites. I think there are a few others in NEA and I imagine some in Southern Arkansas.

Not a bad start.

Rotation sites for my class include:
Jonesboro - NEA Baptist
Jonesboro - St. Bernard's
Paragould, Pocahontas, Walnut Ridge
Batesville
Sikeston (MO)
West Plains (MO)
Memphis, Collierville, Tipton (TN)
DeSoto (MS)
Union City, Huntington (TN)
Northwest Arkansas
Central Arkansas
Pine Bluff, Warren, Dumas
Monticello, Crossett
Camden, Magnolia, El Dorado
Hot Springs, Malvern, Arkadelphia
Mena (AR), Talihana (OK)

I would imagine more hospital system agreements can be attained, and rotation sites will always be evaluated to ensure students will have optimal experiences. I am looking forward to the experiences these sites will offer us.

I do not agree that we are unorganized in our third and fourth year system. We follow the same principles that 100% of other medical schools do, and we have plenty of quality educational opportunities. There is also always the possibility of scheduling out rotations to fill any gaps you feel you might have. Either way, we have all the same requirements of other programs. One difference might be that I think we require a radiology rotation because - and I would be tempted to agree with this - it is invaluable that any physician can at least have a basal level ability to interpret imaging. Obviously a lot of this is done in residency as well, but that kind of early exposure does not just seem reasonable, it seems logical to pursue (IMO).

Our current third years see UAMS students at some of their sites, so we have clearly been accepted at many of the places they have. I imagine that we will see plenty of the ARCOM students this coming year at sites. I do not know if we are at UAMS in Little Rock specifically (not going to Central for rotations so did not look). But I do not think we have had any issue being accepted at a number of hospitals, and I do not believe that our current third year students would think so either.

As another person indicated, we have an expanded articulation agreement with Baptist Health Systems (very large hospital system here in the south) that will expand opportunities, with preferential treatment for residencies as well.

How long are these guys interviewing for? Silence since the summer.

I have not heard of any April or May dates for Jonesboro as of this moment. That does not mean that they do not/will not exist, but that is the best of my knowledge.

Is there any 3rd or 4th year students at JB that can talk about rotations? Read some things online about them not being organized and NYIT-JB not really being welcomed by the state/local hospitals. I don't know if any of this is true.

I saw those posts too and they were always from the same person. Everything on this site with a grain of salt but the criticisms did sound baseless. A big reason I'm choosing the school is because of family members in medicine in the state so I asked for honest opinions. We won't know for awhile since the school is new, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about as of now I'd think

Not a bad start.

Rotation sites for my class include:
Jonesboro - NEA Baptist
Jonesboro - St. Bernard's
Paragould, Pocahontas, Walnut Ridge
Batesville
Sikeston (MO)
West Plains (MO)
Memphis, Collierville, Tipton (TN)
DeSoto (MS)
Union City, Huntington (TN)
Northwest Arkansas
Central Arkansas
Pine Bluff, Warren, Dumas
Monticello, Crossett
Camden, Magnolia, El Dorado
Hot Springs, Malvern, Arkadelphia
Mena (AR), Talihana (OK)

I would imagine more hospital system agreements can be attained, and rotation sites will always be evaluated to ensure students will have optimal experiences. I am looking forward to the experiences these sites will offer us.

I do not agree that we are unorganized in our third and fourth year system. We follow the same principles that 100% of other medical schools do, and we have plenty of quality educational opportunities. There is also always the possibility of scheduling out rotations to fill any gaps you feel you might have. Either way, we have all the same requirements of other programs. One difference might be that I think we require a radiology rotation because - and I would be tempted to agree with this - it is invaluable that any physician can at least have a basal level ability to interpret imaging. Obviously a lot of this is done in residency as well, but that kind of early exposure does not just seem reasonable, it seems logical to pursue (IMO).

Our current third years see UAMS students at some of their sites, so we have clearly been accepted at many of the places they have. I imagine that we will see plenty of the ARCOM students this coming year at sites. I do not know if we are at UAMS in Little Rock specifically (not going to Central for rotations so did not look). But I do not think we have had any issue being accepted at a number of hospitals, and I do not believe that our current third year students would think so either.

As another person indicated, we have an expanded articulation agreement with Baptist Health Systems (very large hospital system here in the south) that will expand opportunities, with preferential treatment for residencies as well.

I saw those posts too and they were always from the same person. Everything on this site with a grain of salt but the criticisms did sound baseless. A big reason I'm choosing the school is because of family members in medicine in the state so I asked for honest opinions. We won't know for awhile since the school is new, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about as of now I'd think

Yeah, I looked a little more into it and it looks a lot more reassuring.

The Baptist partnership is very interesting, and this link does a great job in detailing it. Seems like an awesome opportunity for students that would like to match in a residency in the area.

Baptist Memorial Health Care Partnership | Arkansas | NYIT

@harlo112211 where’d you find that info?

edit: nvm didn’t think they updated their website. Been searching earlier weeks and 19-20 calendar wasn’t there yet

Last edited:

Update: admissions said they refund 100% of the funds if you withdraw prior to orientation.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually just looked this up a few minutes ago; orientation begins 8/5/19 and the first day of classes is 8/7/19.

Of note: Jonesboro has practiced a slightly longer orientation (like Wednesday-Friday the week prior to the first day of classes) in previous years. Obviously Jonesboro accepted students will receive word of this. I hope they do the pre-matriculation event (a week in July where you can get introduced to medical school and what happens here) again this year, I imagine it was helpful for 2022 here and I enjoyed helping with it last year.

Update: admissions said they refund 100% of the funds if you withdraw prior to orientation.

This is accurate. Worth stating that "tuition is due in April" really means that you need to do your FAFSA ASAP and accept loans where applicable. Funds do not even get disbursed until school starts, which is why it is so easy to "refund" your money up to that point - it is essentially a cancellation of loans, not a refund. That is why you do not generally receive your loan refund (the excess) until after class starts.

Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 waitlisted 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 waitlisted 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.
I mean I doubt it, if they say you can bring a +1 you should go with him

Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 wait listed 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

IMO:
You should absolutely go if they allow +1s. Rarely do you get a chance to have extra facet ime with school administrators, faculty, admissions, etc. in an organic way like that. When he is shaking hands with everyone, take the opportunity to reintroduce yourself and commend them on their facilities, etc. It makes for a good showing. You would be surprised how well many folks in admissions remember people - so seeing you again, seeing you have a connection to the school, and seeing you calm and collected while enjoying the experience with your S/O would send as great a message in support of your admission as anything.

You literally would not even have to mention you are on the wait list in any super direct way.

Were I in your shoes I would be chomping at the bits for this opportunity. But that is just my opinion - someone not in admissions, does not know you, and is frankly sleep-deprived (self-afflicted) at all times haha

is on-campus housing cheaper than living somewhere else and commuting? Also, is it necessary to have a roommate if you live on campus?