Jan 10, 2019
Does anyone know when you would have to fully commit to NYITCOM? In other words, this is my current #1 school that I have been accepted to, however I am still waiting on 1 more that I'm more interested in. I know NYITCOM mentions tuition is due for half the year in mid-April for us who were accepted a bit back. If I withdraw after this date will it be refunded? I am going to call financial aid Monday, but am stressed and was wondering if anyone was in a similar boat.
Update: admissions said they refund 100% of the funds if you withdraw prior to orientation.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I actually just looked this up a few minutes ago; orientation begins 8/5/19 and the first day of classes is 8/7/19.
Of note: Jonesboro has practiced a slightly longer orientation (like Wednesday-Friday the week prior to the first day of classes) in previous years. Obviously Jonesboro accepted students will receive word of this. I hope they do the pre-matriculation event (a week in July where you can get introduced to medical school and what happens here) again this year, I imagine it was helpful for 2022 here and I enjoyed helping with it last year.

Update: admissions said they refund 100% of the funds if you withdraw prior to orientation.
This is accurate. Worth stating that "tuition is due in April" really means that you need to do your FAFSA ASAP and accept loans where applicable. Funds do not even get disbursed until school starts, which is why it is so easy to "refund" your money up to that point - it is essentially a cancellation of loans, not a refund. That is why you do not generally receive your loan refund (the excess) until after class starts.

Mar 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 waitlisted 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Reactions: zaitoun
Feb 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 waitlisted 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.
I mean I doubt it, if they say you can bring a +1 you should go with him

Reactions: scarecrow620

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Hi there! Longtime lurker here. Interviewed 2/21 wait listed 3/14 at OW. My boyfriend is going here and wants to bring me as a guest to accepted students day in April. I want to go to support him but will it look weird if I am there while I'm on their wait list, even as someone's +1? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.
IMO:
You should absolutely go if they allow +1s. Rarely do you get a chance to have extra facet ime with school administrators, faculty, admissions, etc. in an organic way like that. When he is shaking hands with everyone, take the opportunity to reintroduce yourself and commend them on their facilities, etc. It makes for a good showing. You would be surprised how well many folks in admissions remember people - so seeing you again, seeing you have a connection to the school, and seeing you calm and collected while enjoying the experience with your S/O would send as great a message in support of your admission as anything.

You literally would not even have to mention you are on the wait list in any super direct way.

Were I in your shoes I would be chomping at the bits for this opportunity. But that is just my opinion - someone not in admissions, does not know you, and is frankly sleep-deprived (self-afflicted) at all times haha

Oct 31, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
is on-campus housing cheaper than living somewhere else and commuting? Also, is it necessary to have a roommate if you live on campus?

Dec 7, 2018
is on-campus housing cheaper than living somewhere else and commuting? Also, is it necessary to have a roommate if you live on campus?
On-campus housing (The Circle) is much more expensive than the preferred off-campus apartments (Stadium View). It's not required that you have a roommate on campus but the one bedrooms are more expensive and fill up faster. You'll likely have a roommate if you select a two bedroom as they charge by room not by apartment. The same is true for Stadium View. If you haven't already started the housing process through the campus housing portal, you'll likely have a hard time finding a one bedroom as it was opened in February to those students returning next semester and early March for newly admitted NYITCOM students.

Reactions: zaitoun
Oct 15, 2018
I'm a new student and signed a contract to live on campus. There's about a $500 difference each semester between living in a 1 bedroom vs. a 2 bedroom. Like CondorosaurusRex said, I don't know if there are any left. I personally chose to live there due to not knowing the town and not knowing the "safer areas" of Jonesboro. It's also nice since all utilities/bills are included.

BarrelRoll

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I know it was asked earlier but I guess it was early in the cycle, but is anyone else going to JB planning on applying to the Baptist partnership? I hope it’s not too late to apply

vanillasky123

7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
Does anyone know what the anticipated class size is for this year? I heard its usually 300+ but last year's match list had only about 270?

Dec 30, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
might have been posted before, but how many people usually get put on the waitlist and how many end up coming off of it?

Oct 31, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a new student and signed a contract to live on campus. There's about a $500 difference each semester between living in a 1 bedroom vs. a 2 bedroom. Like CondorosaurusRex said, I don't know if there are any left. I personally chose to live there due to not knowing the town and not knowing the "safer areas" of Jonesboro. It's also nice since all utilities/bills are included.
how can you found out if a 1 bedroom is available or not? I"m doing the application and it says I have too make a pre payment first before I go to the room search tab.

Oct 15, 2018
how can you found out if a 1 bedroom is available or not? I"m doing the application and it says I have too make a pre payment first before I go to the room search tab.
I would call the A-State Residence Life and ask them what the availability of 1 bedrooms is. If they are still available, you will have to pay the $100 fee to fill out your housing application.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I would advise calling, or paying the prepayment and looking that way. ASU and NYIT are on spring break this week so they may not be open if you call. I think you can be on a waitlist for a 1 BR and tentatively in a 2 BR if that’s the route you want to go, but I am not sure about that.

kazill

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2015
Old Westbury
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know what the anticipated class size is for this year? I heard its usually 300+ but last year's match list had only about 270?
The "class size" includes both OW and Jonesboro (will probably be around 320); since 2020 will be the first year Jonesboro matches, last year's match list will only be reflective of the student population of OW.

Reactions: DoctorPose
Aug 21, 2018
To those who were placed on a waitlist and taken off successfully, what steps did you all take in accomplishing that? This question is for those who applied ANY cycle. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: bendingsphere
Mar 9, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Current students: What was on your the supply list? A physician I work with have given me her old medical school equipment so I want to make sure that I have what I "need" before school starts!

Reactions: smokes91

kazill

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2015
Old Westbury
Status
Medical Student
Current students: What was on your the supply list? A physician I work with have given me her old medical school equipment so I want to make sure that I have what I "need" before school starts!
Stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, otolaryngoscope, reflex hammer, tuning forks, calipers, measuring tape

futuredoc1297

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Dec 16, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
does anyone have waitlist advice? I accepted my spot on the WL immediately and sent a letter of intent as well as an additional letter of rec within a few days, but this was back in January. Should I continue to express my interest or is there anything else i should be doing?

BarrelRoll

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone established on campus housing at JB yet? I emailed and they sent me a pdf but they said I have to activate my A-state ID and I have no clue how to do that lol.
They sent instructions on how to do it. Check all your emails. I did mine urgently since it said I gotta do it within 15 days of receiving the instructions (I was accepted mid December)

Feb 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, Do you guys think they are offering interviews still? I applied back in January, with my secondary application submitted but still haven't heard back.

nmm14

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
thank you! any recommendation for last minute prep/ questions to be sure to know?

Oct 15, 2018
Can any of the current students speak to the dress code? During my interview they made it sound like you have to dress professionally for lecture especially at the beginning of the semester, but, as time goes by, you don't have to....? Any guidance or clarification you can provide would be more than appreciated.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Can any of the current students speak to the dress code? During my interview they made it sound like you have to dress professionally for lecture especially at the beginning of the semester, but, as time goes by, you don't have to....? Any guidance or clarification you can provide would be more than appreciated.
Lectures are pretty laid back. No mandatory attendance and no apparent adherence to a strict dress code if there is one.

Be mindful of your dress in lab, so as to make things easier for your partners. That means try to wear scrubs or shorts and a t-shirt for OMM and DPR.
For ICC wear business professional with white coat - that means shirts and ties for guys, slacks, and dress shoes, and nice blouses and slacks or skirts for women (or whatever that equivalent is, forgive my ignorance).

It is nice to dress up when admin is holding a meeting or there is a guest. I dress well when our various Deans hold meetings or when we have professional development. They’ll usually let you know if there is a time they really want you to go all out.

So the school is pretty laid back, just use common sense judgement and you will be fine.

Reactions: Runs on Coffee