2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning for Jonesboro, they email you saying to call the admissions office within 5 days to schedule. They only gave me one date option (8/24), not sure if they had others if I said that didn't work

I received an email for an II for Jonesboro too! Haven't called yet, though. Does anyone know if they ever interview students on weekends? Do any schools ever interview on weekends? Sorry if that is a dumb question...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have my committee letter uploaded to AACOMAS yet. I have the evaluation put in on AACOMAS, but my professor hasn't actually uploaded it yet. I still got an interview invite. Is this pretty common of certain schools to extend II before receiving all letters?

II this morning for Jonesboro, they email you saying to call the admissions office within 5 days to schedule. They only gave me one date option (8/24), not sure if they had others if I said that didn't work
Hey, congrats! Just curious - when did you get a complete email from them after submitting your secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email for an II for Jonesboro too! Haven't called yet, though. Does anyone know if they ever interview students on weekends? Do any schools ever interview on weekends? Sorry if that is a dumb question...

They don’t interview on the weekend in JB. I believe it’s Fridays only. Crazy how you guys are interviewing so early, ours last year was a little later I think. Might see one of y’all around during your interview. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One offered me a Saturday interview but all others have been Friday and one Monday

Hey, congrats! Just curious - when did you get a complete email from them after submitting your secondary?
Thank you! I submitted 6/28 and was complete 7/2

II Today. I'm very excited but also somewhat surprised as my file isn't complete. I have a physician letter sent in but my committee letter interview is actually tomorrow. Am I even allowed to interview yet?

II Today. I'm very excited but also somewhat surprised as my file isn't complete. I have a physician letter sent in but my committee letter interview is actually tomorrow. Am I even allowed to interview yet?
Which campus??

Did anybody get any interviews to the OW campus ? Also, if you indicate on your secondary that your preference is OW, do you still get considered for the JB campus ?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have my committee letter uploaded to AACOMAS yet. I have the evaluation put in on AACOMAS, but my professor hasn't actually uploaded it yet. I still got an interview invite. Is this pretty common of certain schools to extend II before receiving all letters?

Same situation here. I called them, and they said that they will interview you without a committee letter. It will be considered after the fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
When was everyone complete? 7/28 and sitting in silence

When was everyone complete? 7/28 and sitting in silence

don't worry, they'll send you an email shortly that says "Congratulations! You're invited to apply to NYITCOM!"

II as well! Do you (or anyone) know what the interview format is? And the stress level

Things could change for this years interview cycle but it was a pretty chill day from what I remember last year. You’ll get a talk by Dean Fowler to everyone in the big lecture hall and after be broken up into groups and given a tour. Afternoon was our interviews. It was very laid back and there’s no “gotcha “ questions. I used SDN questions to help prepare which 2/4 interview questions showed up and obvi be prepared for the “why DO/ why us” questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
For the record, since it has come up, it is entirely possible for Fridays and Saturdays to be utilized as interview dates. Here in Jonesboro it would not be surprising.

Specifics about the interview can vary year to year, and possibly date to date. 8/24 seems to be the first date mentioned here, so more information may be available in the coming weeks.
For instance: When I interviewed two years ago I actually had two faculty interviews. Many others in my cycle and last year only had one faculty interview. When I interviewed we did not have student ambassadors yet, but last year did and following years will as well.

Interview experiences can also vary slightly between Friday and Saturday sessions due to the presence of students on campus and the involvement of lab facilities in the learning process.
For instance: There are no scheduled labs on these days, but it is possible for students to be studying and practicing in labs. So some students may have the benefit of seeing students at work. The experience will be great either way.

I would expect to be able to explain significant aspects of your application and answer general questions related to Osteopathy, your personal motivations, and our school/location. If you are prepared for these, then you are prepared for most of what you may be faced with.
For instance: I was asked many of the questions you see above and may expect. I was also asked to elaborate on answers I had given. This is when personal aspects of my life came more into play.

For the record, since it has come up, it is entirely possible for Fridays and Saturdays to be utilized as interview dates. Here in Jonesboro it would not be surprising.

Specifics about the interview can vary year to year, and possibly date to date. 8/24 seems to be the first date mentioned here, so more information may be available in the coming weeks.
For instance: When I interviewed two years ago I actually had two faculty interviews. Many others in my cycle and last year only had one faculty interview. When I interviewed we did not have student ambassadors yet, but last year did and following years will as well.

Interview experiences can also vary slightly between Friday and Saturday sessions due to the presence of students on campus and the involvement of lab facilities in the learning process.
For instance: There are no scheduled labs on these days, but it is possible for students to be studying and practicing in labs. So some students may have the benefit of seeing students at work. The experience will be great either way.

I would expect to be able to explain significant aspects of your application and answer general questions related to Osteopathy, your personal motivations, and our school/location. If you are prepared for these, then you are prepared for most of what you may be faced with.
For instance: I was asked many of the questions you see above and may expect. I was also asked to elaborate on answers I had given. This is when personal aspects of my life came more into play.

This is so helpful thank you!! Which above questions??

This is so helpful thank you!! Which above questions??

My apologies, I am used to there having been many posted.
Just typical questions: Why DO? Why here? What environment do I see myself practicing in? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why medicine at all?

Granted I interviewed two years ago so I do not remember every single question, but I remember it being a lot more of a conversation. I think in both of my interviews we deviated and started talking about things well outside of medicine, like a good book we had read or ideas of military service. This was pretty consistent with all but one interview I went to.

Especially at the DO schools I interviewed at I didn’t feel there were any “trick” questions. The closest ones to being that way are the “why” questions (here, DO, medicine at all). There are advantages to unique answers and advantages to the “ideal” ones. I probably fell somewhere between those two groups and it worked well for me. With 50,000 applicants each year you really can only be SO unique haha

Just typical questions: Why DO? Why here? What environment do I see myself practicing in? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why medicine at all?

Granted I interviewed two years ago so I do not remember every single question, but I remember it being a lot more of a conversation. I think in both of my interviews we deviated and started talking about things well outside of medicine, like a good book we had read or ideas of military service. This was pretty consistent with all but one interview I went to.

Especially at the DO schools I interviewed at I didn’t feel there were any “trick” questions. The closest ones to being that way are the “why” questions (here, DO, medicine at all). There are advantages to unique answers and advantages to the “ideal” ones. I probably fell somewhere between those two groups and it worked well for me. With 50,000 applicants each year you really can only be SO unique haha
How do you like it there ? What are your college's COMLEX scores ? If you had to do it all over again, will you apply to NYIT ?

it may be hard to be unique but it's actually pretty easy to stand out during the interview.

II today at 3:30 for the old westbury campus, stoked!

complete 7/23

It seems like only the Jonesboro campus has sent out invites. Any word from the
II today at 3:30 for the old westbury campus, stoked!

complete 7/23
Congrats! Are you in IS or OOS? Also would you mind sharing your LM or stats?

It seems like only the Jonesboro campus has sent out invites. Any word from the

Congrats! Are you in IS or OOS? Also would you mind sharing your LM or stats?
OOS, some connections to NY, LM 66-68

completed 7/3. no II. Have ties to NY as I did City Year Oss

3.52 cGPA 3.34 sGPA MCAT 506 the standard extracurriculars and diversity activities.

is it because I retook my MCAT, so they wont look at me until I recieve my new score. I took it Aug 4th

How do you like it there ? What are your college's COMLEX scores ? If you had to do it all over again, will you apply to NYIT ?

Board and Match results can be found on the website with an easy Google search. I would advise looking at all of that beyond the numbers, though. For instance, I am a believer that a 100% Match does not make as big of an impact as having quality Matches. That said, trends in scores, pass rates, and Match rates do say something about the school’s ability to prepare students to pursue successful careers - keeping in mind that what means success for one person may not be the same as another.

As for the school, I love it. I honestly cannot see myself anywhere else. I was fortunate enough to have a few schools accept me, so I had to sit down around Christmas time and again at the end of February and assess the programs. NYIT Jonesboro was my fit. I could go into the reasons for that, but I am very confident that you will understand completely if you have the opportunity to interview here and take it. I didn’t really know this school until I experienced it. I hope that you all get the chance to see what I saw and that you take it.

I think I would have been happy and successful at any one of the schools I could have gone to. But I know for a fact I am happy to be here. Hope that answered your questions.

it may be hard to be unique but it's actually pretty easy to stand out during the interview.

I 100% agree.

In my honest opinion how you carry yourself and interact with others can make waves in the eventual decision. Like I said in another post, I had conversations with my interviewers - it was not a Q&A. Maybe it was because my answers were good, but that was also a goal I had when I went into my interviews. I didn’t want to make it a Q&A. I wanted them to remember speaking with me. It worked well for me, but hey, there are many ways to make a good impression. One (somewhat obvious to most, but not all) thing I highly advise is to look up the school and be familiar with them prior, then ask questions about their mission, etc. or focus on how you can work alongside the school to accomplish certain career goals. Everyone SHOULD do this, but not every DOES, and that level of perceived interest stands out for sure.

Just make sure you stand out for the right reasons, am I right? Haha

completed 7/3. no II. Have ties to NY as I did City Year Oss

3.52 cGPA 3.34 sGPA MCAT 506 the standard extracurriculars and diversity activities.

is it because I retook my MCAT, so they wont look at me until I recieve my new score. I took it Aug 4th

Maybe, but keep in mind that it is VERY, VERY early in the process. Don’t look too far into it at this point. You do TECHNICALLY have a pending aspect of your application with the scores you are waiting on, so that could very well be in play.

But again, don’t look too far into it at this point.

Hey guys is a 503 and 3.87 competitive enough for this school? Couldn’t find class stats. Also I really want to go to ny but I’m afraid my rural upbringing would make them want me in Arkansas. I want to go to my to expand my knowledge of the underserved in urban settings. Do you think they’d still prefer me for Arkansas?

Hey guys is a 503 and 3.87 competitive enough for this school? Couldn’t find class stats. Also I really want to go to ny but I’m afraid my rural upbringing would make them want me in Arkansas. I want to go to my to expand my knowledge of the underserved in urban settings. Do you think they’d still prefer me for Arkansas?
Very competitive. You will be preferred in Arkansas of course.

this is a matter you need to discuss with them. tell them why you want to go to ny.

You designate your campus of choice or no preference. The other campus cannot just overrule your selection. The only circumstances that COULD arise (as in, I have seen this with other schools but no proof of it happening with ours) is if you get waitlisted for OW but NYIT really likes you so they offer to keep you on WL for OW or give you a seat in JB. Again, never heard of this happening here because JB has its own WL.

So if you want OW, pick OW. Your application is then going to OW, NOT JB. You will either be selected or not for OW. JB becomes irrelevant.

As for whether or not you would be a “better fit” for JB or OW, I say you would be a better fit for OW. Why? Because you’ve stated interest in going there and not JB. That’s what matters. When you apply to a school you get those choices. They cannot force you to attend one campus over another.

And if they did, for some reason, force you to accept JB or no seat at NYIT, then I would advise you (unofficially, because I really have no say either way and you work independently of any bias I may have) against attending this school at all. That, to me, is a sign of a toxic environment that doesn’t consider student’s input and well-being. I would be gravely disappointed in my program if that were to occur.

Apply here, designate OW, and the rest will work itself out. We pride ourselves on having diverse backgrounds - a student with a rural upbringing may offer unique perspective to a NY school. Just don’t get too in your head about all of this.

can anyone offer insight on their LDB and DPC tracks? pros and cons? which one is more preferable among students?

Would someone with lots of underserved working experiences fit more in JB than OW? I picked OW coz of its unbeatable curriculum, but I feel like I might have a better chance at A-state. What type of population students at OW usually get to serve?

Would someone with lots of underserved working experiences fit more in JB than OW? I picked OW coz of its unbeatable curriculum, but I feel like I might have a better chance at A-state. What type of population students at OW usually get to serve?

Underserved is the main focus of both campuses.

Here’s the way I see it:

If NY State resident then you should say OW campus.

If OOS with average/lower stats then you should go for JB.

If OOS with above average stats then you could pick whichever one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Medicine is about a service. Both campuses desire to produce physicians with the heart to serve the underserved, because then even if you never actually do that you’ll still carry those principles with you with the patients you do have.

The curriculum is the exact same, delivered simultaneously by the exact same faculty (with the exception of lab, though the lab curriculum is the same).

Apply where you WANT TO BE. If you want life with access to a city like NYC, then coming to JB could be a HUGE mistake. Don’t go somewhere you don’t think you’ll be happy just because you “think you’ll have a better shot” or “they’re the only place that accepted you.” Know what you want, take the extra year or two to improve, then apply and find success.

Don’t contribute to the growing number of distraught medical students by settling for something that isn’t for you just to move forward.

There are plenty of incredible students at both campuses (and plenty of other schools) who are where they are because they wanted that school/campus/area/all of the above. Be like them, even if that means you don’t apply to NYIT at all (though I think our school is awesome so yeah).

Board and Match results can be found on the website with an easy Google search. I would advise looking at all of that beyond the numbers, though. For instance, I am a believer that a 100% Match does not make as big of an impact as having quality Matches. That said, trends in scores, pass rates, and Match rates do say something about the school’s ability to prepare students to pursue successful careers - keeping in mind that what means success for one person may not be the same as another.

As for the school, I love it. I honestly cannot see myself anywhere else. I was fortunate enough to have a few schools accept me, so I had to sit down around Christmas time and again at the end of February and assess the programs. NYIT Jonesboro was my fit. I could go into the reasons for that, but I am very confident that you will understand completely if you have the opportunity to interview here and take it. I didn’t really know this school until I experienced it. I hope that you all get the chance to see what I saw and that you take it.

I think I would have been happy and successful at any one of the schools I could have gone to. But I know for a fact I am happy to be here. Hope that answered your questions.

I 100% agree.

In my honest opinion how you carry yourself and interact with others can make waves in the eventual decision. Like I said in another post, I had conversations with my interviewers - it was not a Q&A. Maybe it was because my answers were good, but that was also a goal I had when I went into my interviews. I didn’t want to make it a Q&A. I wanted them to remember speaking with me. It worked well for me, but hey, there are many ways to make a good impression. One (somewhat obvious to most, but not all) thing I highly advise is to look up the school and be familiar with them prior, then ask questions about their mission, etc. or focus on how you can work alongside the school to accomplish certain career goals. Everyone SHOULD do this, but not every DOES, and that level of perceived interest stands out for sure.

Just make sure you stand out for the right reasons, am I right? Haha

Maybe, but keep in mind that it is VERY, VERY early in the process. Don’t look too far into it at this point. You do TECHNICALLY have a pending aspect of your application with the scores you are waiting on, so that could very well be in play.

But again, don’t look too far into it at this point.

Do people ever switch between the JB and NY campuses?

Do people ever switch between the JB and NY campuses?

Never heard of it happening. Heard the idea was posited once by a student in my class and subsequently shot down (I am sure the conversation was better than my summary, knowing our faculty). Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole “designate a campus” and “make sure you’re applying somewhere you will actually want to go” idea.

If you’re worried about being “surprised,” in that you thought you would like a campus/area but found you didn’t, then make sure to take the time to think critically and research locations and programs. I personally came down a day before and stayed a day later for all my interviews. The point in this was to familiarize myself with the cities, the campus, and what life would be like. That was possible for me but may not be for all, so online research becomes even more important.

I did not apply to a single program that I would not have gone to were I accepted. When I was fortunate enough to receive a few acceptances, I used the knowledge I had gained in my research and my time during the interview period to select the program, campus, and geographical location that I thought would work best. Approaching two years from the date of my first acceptance and I can honestly say I am very happy where I am at.

Reactions: 2 users
Medicine is about a service. Both campuses desire to produce physicians with the heart to serve the underserved, because then even if you never actually do that you’ll still carry those principles with you with the patients you do have.

The curriculum is the exact same, delivered simultaneously by the exact same faculty (with the exception of lab, though the lab curriculum is the same).

Apply where you WANT TO BE. If you want life with access to a city like NYC, then coming to JB could be a HUGE mistake. Don’t go somewhere you don’t think you’ll be happy just because you “think you’ll have a better shot” or “they’re the only place that accepted you.” Know what you want, take the extra year or two to improve, then apply and find success.

Don’t contribute to the growing number of distraught medical students by settling for something that isn’t for you just to move forward.

There are plenty of incredible students at both campuses (and plenty of other schools) who are where they are because they wanted that school/campus/area/all of the above. Be like them, even if that means you don’t apply to NYIT at all (though I think our school is awesome so yeah).

Thank you!!! I love living in big cities but I am also a pretty adaptable person. I think my panic button went off a little because this school is one of my top choices :)

Can you tell me what you like about this school? Have you joined any student clubs and participate in volunteering opportunities? If so, what are those and how do you like them?

Thanks again!

Hey, would you mind sharing how long after submitting the secondary application they contacted you for II?

Hey, would you mind sharing how long after submitting the secondary application they contacted you for II?

A little over a month. Submitted July 2, heard back on Aug 8

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve submitted my LOR from Interfolio to AACOMAS, but reading that NYITCOM doesn’t accept from Interfolio. Do they mean if I were to send my letters directly from Interfolio to the school? Or am I not allowed to use it at all?

Anyone interviewing on the 24th or will I be the only soul there at Jonesboro on the first day? :hello:

Last edited:
can anyone offer insight on their LDB and DPC tracks? pros and cons? which one is more preferable among students?

MS1 at OW in LDB currently. No comment on DPC except it is more self-guided and case-based. LDB is pretty similar to undergrad. From 9-12 there are 3 lectures you attend, and then you attend your labs either DPR, OMM or Anatomy in the afternoon. In terms of preferability, it is hard to say, DPC has only ~40-50 spots so most students will be LDB, it really all matters on the kind of learning you prefer. In the spring the LDB students start case-based exercises as well so while DPC students may get more experience in case based learning you will still see some in LDB.

MS1 at OW in LDB currently. No comment on DPC except it is more self-guided and case-based. LDB is pretty similar to undergrad. From 9-12 there are 3 lectures you attend, and then you attend your labs either DPR, OMM or Anatomy in the afternoon. In terms of preferability, it is hard to say, DPC has only ~40-50 spots so most students will be LDB, it really all matters on the kind of learning you prefer. In the spring the LDB students start case-based exercises as well so while DPC students may get more experience in case based learning you will still see some in LDB.
To add onto this from what I've seen/heard as a LDB student: DPC students get a lot more early clinical exposure - they are required to spend time with physicians and to assist them with visits and the sort before first year is even over. They also learn how to write SOAP notes and various clinical skills earlier than LDB. The order in which they cover material is totally different from LDB so you won't be studying with them at all, they'll be busy studying with their assigned groups. Also worth noting if you don't like learning with others you probably won't enjoy DPC, you will spend a lot of time with your group.