2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how paying tuition works with loans? I know tuition is due today, but loans aren't disbursed until August

As long as you have been awarded enough loans to pay the Cost of attendance you don't have to do anything else until August. At least thats what I was told when I called.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how paying tuition works with loans? I know tuition is due today, but loans aren't disbursed until August

This has been answered in many posts by several members on page 29

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off waitlist today!! All you fellow waitlisters, this is for you to know that waitlist season is here! Keep your eyes peeled and hope alive, they're coming for you next!!

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted off waitlist today!! All you fellow waitlisters, this is for you to know that waitlist season is here! Keep your eyes peeled and hope alive, they're coming for you next!!

Congratulations!!!
Would you mind sharing more information? When were you interviewed? In state/out of state? ORM/URM? Lizzy-M?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist today!

(Interview was Feb 7th. Nontrad OOS. LizzyM ~67)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted via email today to the Jonesboro campus. Interviewed 3/29.

Congratulations!!!
Would you mind sharing more information? When were you interviewed? In state/out of state? ORM/URM? Lizzy-M?

Oh ya!

Campus: Old Westbury
Interview date: 10/9
ORM: Asian
Residency status: OOS California
Lizzy M: 64

Yesterday I joined the ranks of those who were waitlisted. Interviewed 3/8. JB. Anyone else get waitlisted from that interview date??

Members don't see this ad :)
For @kazill or anybody else currently attending NYITCOM, how does course registration for entering students work? When will we receive or build our schedules?

For @kazill or anybody else currently attending NYITCOM, how does course registration for entering students work? When will we receive or build our schedules?

You don’t. The curriculum is the same for every student in your class and you will all follow that same schedule throughout your didactic years. The only time variance will come into play is on which day/time slot you have a given lab (OMM on Wednesday or Thursday, first or second time slot), or when you enter third year rotations.

The schedule was put out last year in July, I believe, for the incoming class so that it could be seen on Akila, the site we use for coursework. It is set by semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the reply.

The only time variance will come into play is on which day/time slot you have a given lab (OMM on Wednesday or Thursday, first or second time slot), or when you enter third year rotations.

And these time variances are assigned? Or is it possible to choose your own lab slot?

Thanks for the reply.

And these time variances are assigned? Or is it possible to choose your own lab slot?

They’re assigned, you won’t get any say. If you end up having any issues with your group they’ll accommodate as much as possible.

I know this has been mentioned before but what is the dress code? Specifically at NYITCOM-AR if it's different. A few students on here mentioned conflicting information.

I know this has been mentioned before but what is the dress code? Specifically at NYITCOM-AR if it's different. A few students on here mentioned conflicting information.

For an official answer, you can Google the NYITCOM Student Handbook and see the dress code as it applies to each area (lecture, OMM, DPR, ICC, etc). There is no ambiguity if you reference that.

They seem relatively lax on the policy but that is how it is stated and how it will be presented at orientation. As a student, I would advise/request being courteous to your fellow classmates for labs that require you to work with each other. By that I mean do not wear jeans to OMM or DPR. It is not allowed per the policy and just because you can get away with wearing it because you will not be sent away does not mean you aren’t making it more difficult on your partner to get work done. I have had these partners. They suck to work with when that happens. Don’t be that guy.

That was a lot of negatives in one sentence up there, wow.

ICC is listed as professional attire with white coat. That means shirt and tie for guys, and the equivalent for gals. Again, there is a tendency to be lenient, but God forbid they actually adhere to the policy at some point it would make more sense to just wear the tie for the 1 hour and take it off after. Don’t be the guy who gets sent home because he didn’t adhere to dress code, get a 0 for the encounter, and has to remediate ICC because of it.

It has not happened yet to my knowledge, but with the policy as written it CAN, so roll your dice if you choose.

For an official answer, you can Google the NYITCOM Student Handbook and see the dress code as it applies to each area (lecture, OMM, DPR, ICC, etc). There is no ambiguity if you reference that.

They seem relatively lax on the policy but that is how it is stated and how it will be presented at orientation. As a student, I would advise/request being courteous to your fellow classmates for labs that require you to work with each other. By that I mean do not wear jeans to OMM or DPR. It is not allowed per the policy and just because you can get away with wearing it because you will not be sent away does not mean you aren’t making it more difficult on your partner to get work done. I have had these partners. They suck to work with when that happens. Don’t be that guy.

That was a lot of negatives in one sentence up there, wow.

ICC is listed as professional attire with white coat. That means shirt and tie for guys, and the equivalent for gals. Again, there is a tendency to be lenient, but God forbid they actually adhere to the policy at some point it would make more sense to just wear the tie for the 1 hour and take it off after. Don’t be the guy who gets sent home because he didn’t adhere to dress code, get a 0 for the encounter, and has to remediate ICC because of it.

It has not happened yet to my knowledge, but with the policy as written it CAN, so roll your dice if you choose.
thanks for the feedback, seems pretty lenient.

Accepted today at Jonesboro. I never received a call - just an acceptance letter that was dated April 17th and postmarked April 18th. I am so excited!

But I feel a little questionable about never receiving a call - is this even real? Did this happen to anyone else?

Accepted today at Jonesboro. I never received a call - just an acceptance letter that was dated April 17th and postmarked April 18th. I am so excited!

But I feel a little questionable about never receiving a call - is this even real? Did this happen to anyone else?
I got an email without any call. Got a letter in the mail a week later.

I got an email without any call. Got a letter in the mail a week later.

I mean I expected to get a call or an email. I did not get a call OR an email. Just the letter.

Congrats everyone! Don’t buy stethoscopes! You’ll get one at orientation for free as a gift from the alumni (just got the letter in the mail confirming this). :)
is this for the arkansas students or old westbury students? i never received anything of this nature in the mail lol

Copy that wildcats. The email never made it to me, so they emailed me today after I called and told them that I had an acceptance letter with no email.

It is official. I have been accepted into medical school at NYIT - Arkansas State! I interviewed 3/29!

A friend of mine was on the waitlist until late May, so for those of you on waitlists, there's still hope! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my A from NYITCOM Long Island - good luck everyone :) My friend literally got off the waitlist the day before orientation so stay positive (I know it's not ideal to wait that long but you never know)

Important information for you guys, so you can plan early, study for boards early, and to work hard, because you guys won’t have an AOA match for residency. NYCOM is a great school, but some things are out of its control, such as residency.

In four years when you're applying for residency for the Match, apply broadly, have back-up specialities, interview everywhere, and rank every interview; that’s the best you can do to secure a residency spot. So much has changed since >5 years ago.

An example (which echos other schools that had lower match rates this year): for 2019 for the first time in many years, NYCOM did not have a 99-100% match or placement rate. Many students didn’t match, and thus couldn’t even be placed into transitional year or other open available spots (lack of safety AOA TRI or FM spots available, as they disappeared b/c of the ACGME merger). The school won’t even publish an official match/placement rate because it is low. Compare that to previous years on the NYCOM press releases where there were 100% matches, but this year? Unfortunately no, because of the merger, many AOA DO spots closed or became MD spots, competition has increased from new graduating DOs and MDs, etc.

Sure the match list looks good this year, but it’s not the entire graduating class. NYCOM has also lost some important hospital affiliations for third year clinic and regional rotations:

Lutheran which became NYU, Maimonides, some NJ and LIJ hospitals, South Nassau which now will take Stony Brook students because Stony Brook lost NYU Winthrop since NYU Winthrop will have their own MD school... all because either: a) they used to sponsor some great AOA residencies, which now don’t exist, b) and/or also those hospitals have now taken more MD students for rotations (such as the new agreement with Maimonides and SUNY), c) or now have their own MD schools (LIJ, Seton in NJ, NYU Lutheran Brooklyn, Barnabas Bronx with CUNY med, etc).

So my advice? Study hard, ace the boards, and don’t be picky or choosy when you apply for residencies, because the competition from new DO and MD schools (unfortunately) is only increasing, and your goal is to have a job and match. Good luck!

Note: it isn’t just NYCOM that experienced this problem this year. Hopefully by the time you guys are fourth years, the school will be very transparent with ya’ll regarding Match statistics and an emphasis on match success.

Last edited:
Hey, for anyone who has been accepted; what is this “email the acceptance form” stuff? Like I can do the deposit, but can’t find this acceptance form to email.

Hey, for anyone who has been accepted; what is this “email the acceptance form” stuff? Like I can do the deposit, but can’t find this acceptance form to email.

Check your attachments; the form should be in your email.

You just have to fill it out and email it back or I think you can also mail it.

Check your attachments; the form should be in your email.

You just have to fill it out and email it back or I think you can also mail it.
Yeah that’s the problem; I didn’t get the original email for some reason. I guess I’ll need to call again Monday and ask.

Important information for you guys, so you can plan early, study for boards early, and to work hard, because you guys won’t have an AOA match for residency. NYCOM is a great school, but some things are out of its control, such as residency.

In four years when you're applying for residency for the Match, apply broadly, have back-up specialities, interview everywhere, and rank every interview; that’s the best you can do to secure a residency spot. So much has changed since >5 years ago.

An example (which echos other schools that had lower match rates this year): for 2019 for the first time in many years, NYCOM did not have a 99-100% match or placement rate. Many students didn’t match, and thus couldn’t even be placed into transitional year or other open available spots (lack of safety AOA TRI or FM spots available, as they disappeared b/c of the ACGME merger). The school won’t even publish an official match/placement rate because it is low. Compare that to previous years on the NYCOM press releases where there were 100% matches, but this year? Unfortunately no, because of the merger, many AOA DO spots closed or became MD spots, competition has increased from new graduating DOs and MDs, etc.

Sure the match list looks good this year, but it’s not the entire graduating class. NYCOM has also lost some important hospital affiliations for third year clinic and regional rotations:

Lutheran which became NYU, Maimonides, some NJ and LIJ hospitals, South Nassau which now will take Stony Brook students because Stony Brook lost NYU Winthrop since NYU Winthrop will have their own MD school... all because either: a) they used to sponsor some great AOA residencies, which now don’t exist, b) and/or also those hospitals have now taken more MD students for rotations (such as the new agreement with Maimonides and SUNY), c) or now have their own MD schools (LIJ, Seton in NJ, NYU Lutheran Brooklyn, Barnabas Bronx with CUNY med, etc).

So my advice? Study hard, ace the boards, and don’t be picky or choosy when you apply for residencies, because the competition from new DO and MD schools (unfortunately) is only increasing, and your goal is to have a job and match. Good luck!

Note: it isn’t just NYCOM that experienced this problem this year. Hopefully by the time you guys are fourth years, the school will be very transparent with ya’ll regarding Match statistics and an emphasis on match success.
WOW, thank you so much for the insight. it is helpful to hear this other side of the story. Most med schools advertise the glamour and leave out real stuff like this. So thank you.

Just double checking; I paid the deposit, filled out the form and emailed it, and clicked "accept offer" in the portal. There is not anything else I have to do right now correct? And just because I have done these things, I can still drop my acceptance correct?

Anyone have any idea when the next waitlist movement will be?

Reactions: 5 users
Just gave up my spot on the wait list. I hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when's the last time Jonesboro worked off their wait list?

Can people specify which campus when anything happens? Please and thank you :)

What are the stats of the people who got off WL today

I'm honestly a little surprised I haven't gotten off the waitlist yet, I have a 3.85GPA, 3.95sGPA, 509 MCAT (128,125,128,128)

I’m not an adcom but it seems like stats definitely aren’t the most important factor here. But still, nice stats. You must have worked really hard. :)

Hi Everyone! As requested, below are my stats.
Complete 8/2018, interviewed in 2/2019, waitlisted 3/2019.
Accepted OW.

First time applicant
3.5 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
503 MCAT
IS
~400 clinical volunteer hours
~80 shadowing hours
~1000 non-clinical volunteer hours
~3000 medical scribe hours (various specialties - ED, Internal Medicine, Bariatric Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, etc...)
~3 years in various management positions at a scribe company, training, hiring, recruiting, establishing scribe programs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited: