petitechouette

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
New York
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi Everyone! As requested, below are my stats.
Complete 8/2018, interviewed in 2/2019, waitlisted 3/2019.
Accepted OW.

First time applicant
3.5 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
503 MCAT
IS
~400 clinical volunteer hours
~80 shadowing hours
~1000 non-clinical volunteer hours
~3000 medical scribe hours (various specialties - ED, Internal Medicine, Bariatric Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, etc...)
~3 years in various management positions at a scribe company, training, hiring, recruiting, establishing scribe programs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted off waitlist for OW

Interviewed end of march (app complete mid feb)

511, 3.48 cGPA, 3.38 science

Lots of ECs/ research

Reactions: BenjaminTM19
Dec 30, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m not an adcom but it seems like stats definitely aren’t the most important factor here. But still, nice stats. You must have worked really hard. :)
Thank you! I worked very hard but my clinical hours are a little lower than others here for valid reasons.There are so many incredible applicants here though and everyone accepted off the waitlists absolutely deserves it :) congratulations everyone!

Nov 13, 2018
Hi Everyone! As requested, below are my stats.
Complete 8/2018, interviewed in 2/2019, waitlisted 3/2019.
Accepted OW.

First time applicant
3.5 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
503 MCAT
IS
~400 clinical volunteer hours
~80 shadowing hours
~1000 non-clinical volunteer hours
~3000 medical scribe hours (various specialties - ED, Internal Medicine, Bariatric Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, etc...)
~3 years in various management positions at a scribe company, training, hiring, recruiting, establishing scribe programs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations! NYITCOM loves scribes and you definitely have the most scribe experience of any applicant I've seen!
Mind if I ask when you graduated college?

Reactions: zaitoun
Aug 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If anyone really wants some stats and to feel good about their chances:
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 496
2000+ hours as a scribe in Family Practice / Urgent Care
600 hours as a TA
300 hours shadowing
Published Research with award
Student Ambassador as my University
Multiple other clubs member
Volunteer here and there for a few things for maybe max 100 hours
Interviewed 3.29 / Accepted 4.17 at NYIT-Jonesboro
Out-of-State
Anythings possible if you just believe

Jul 29, 2018
WOOOOO FIRST ACCEPTANCE. Old Westbury, got the letter yesterday.
Stats: GPA 3.71/3.76 C/S
MCAT: 514
Barely any medical ECs ( 50 hours clinical volunteering and 50 hours shadowing)

Was prepping this whole year for a reapp but guess I don’t need it anymore

Jul 29, 2018
Quick question tho, I will be submitting the deposit and acceptance form, but if I get accepted to my MD school, NYIT isn’t binding, is it?

Aug 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Quick question tho, I will be submitting the deposit and acceptance form, but if I get accepted to my MD school, NYIT isn’t binding, is it?
I don't think so. We HAD to fill them out to hold our seats. The admissions director at A-State said that they understood that I am probably still making decisions, and to fill out and turn that stuff in but it was not binding.

Jan 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe a stupid question: but you got an email yesterday? Or an actual letter? Lol
Edited to add: Congrats!!!!!! Sorry, my rude selfish self didnt congratulate you! Thats amazing and must feel good to not have to worry about reapplying right now!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Status
Pre-Medical

Congratulations!!! Did you get off the waitlist or did you get that A right after?

Oct 17, 2018
Yep - not binding. For those who were accepted earlier and had their first half of tuition due, you can drop out prior to the first day of orientation and get a full refund (except the $1500 deposit to hold your seat).

Oct 31, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

damn those are killer stats, congrats.

Oct 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Important information for you guys, so you can plan early, study for boards early, and to work hard, because you guys won’t have an AOA match for residency. NYCOM is a great school, but some things are out of its control, such as residency.

In four years when you're applying for residency for the Match, apply broadly, have back-up specialities, interview everywhere, and rank every interview; that’s the best you can do to secure a residency spot. So much has changed since >5 years ago.

An example (which echos other schools that had lower match rates this year): for 2019 for the first time in many years, NYCOM did not have a 99-100% match or placement rate. Many students didn’t match, and thus couldn’t even be placed into transitional year or other open available spots (lack of safety AOA TRI or FM spots available, as they disappeared b/c of the ACGME merger). The school won’t even publish an official match/placement rate because it is low. Compare that to previous years on the NYCOM press releases where there were 100% matches, but this year? Unfortunately no, because of the merger, many AOA DO spots closed or became MD spots, competition has increased from new graduating DOs and MDs, etc.

Sure the match list looks good this year, but it’s not the entire graduating class. NYCOM has also lost some important hospital affiliations for third year clinic and regional rotations:

Lutheran which became NYU, Maimonides, some NJ and LIJ hospitals, South Nassau which now will take Stony Brook students because Stony Brook lost NYU Winthrop since NYU Winthrop will have their own MD school... all because either: a) they used to sponsor some great AOA residencies, which now don’t exist, b) and/or also those hospitals have now taken more MD students for rotations (such as the new agreement with Maimonides and SUNY), c) or now have their own MD schools (LIJ, Seton in NJ, NYU Lutheran Brooklyn, Barnabas Bronx with CUNY med, etc).

So my advice? Study hard, ace the boards, and don’t be picky or choosy when you apply for residencies, because the competition from new DO and MD schools (unfortunately) is only increasing, and your goal is to have a job and match. Good luck!

Note: it isn’t just NYCOM that experienced this problem this year. Hopefully by the time you guys are fourth years, the school will be very transparent with ya’ll regarding Match statistics and an emphasis on match success.
Hi everyone! Just wanted to add some knowledge that I had, I called NYITCOM-OW admission today and asked what the match rate was for 2019, she said it was 99.6%

This post personally scared me a lot as an incoming OMS-I. If OP wouldn't mind sharing the source of their data, I would appreciate it!

Nov 13, 2018
Hi everyone! Just wanted to add some knowledge that I had, I called NYITCOM-OW admission today and asked what the match rate was for 2019, she said it was 99.6%

This post personally scared me a lot as an incoming OMS-I. If OP wouldn't mind sharing the source of their data, I would appreciate it!
Thanks for calling! I agree, scared me as well. I thought the merger was changing things tremendously.

Aug 6, 2018
@kazill

Hi there, quick question. So some schools tend have their curriculum in timeline like charts with blocks of classes for each year. I tried to find one for NYITCOM but it doesn't seem like there is one. There is webpage with the curriculum from OMS1-4, but I'm not entirely understanding the descriptions. For example, OMS-1 has the curriculum of COM500, COM501, and COM502? The descriptions for COM502 says " physiology, pathophysiology, & clinical presentations primarily with a focus of the Neuromuscular, Hematology, Immunology & lntegumentary Systems." However, it doesn't say which semester OMS-1 are taking which classes.

I apologize in advance if this is confusing!

Oct 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I asked my advisor about the merger and she told me very similar things!
What sort of things did she say, just that it would be harder to match?

I assumed that as well, but I was hoping that with NYIT's solid reputation they would come out pretty unscathed, as it seems that they did this year!

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
@kazill

Hi there, quick question. So some schools tend have their curriculum in timeline like charts with blocks of classes for each year. I tried to find one for NYITCOM but it doesn't seem like there is one. There is webpage with the curriculum from OMS1-4, but I'm not entirely understanding the descriptions. For example, OMS-1 has the curriculum of COM500, COM501, and COM502? The descriptions for COM502 says " physiology, pathophysiology, & clinical presentations primarily with a focus of the Neuromuscular, Hematology, Immunology & lntegumentary Systems." However, it doesn't say which semester OMS-1 are taking which classes.

I apologize in advance if this is confusing!
Not Kazill, but I think I can help.

Easiest way to understand our curriculum is that we go system by system. For my class our semesters were as follows:
Fall OMS I: Foundations. This covers biochem, general physiological principles, general pathology, general pharmacology, anatomy, etc. By its namesake, it lays the Foundation from which we work from moving forward. You might start dipping into Neuro towards the end.
Spring OMS I: Neuro, Psych, MSK, Heme/Onc, Immuno, and Derm.
Fall OMS II: The fabled CRP (Cardio-Renal-Pulm) semester. We did it like CPR tho.
Spring OMS II: GI, Endocrine, Repro

Within each system you will review relevant anatomy, embryology, genetics, histology, physiology, pathology, and pharmacology. You will review relevant specifics as they pertain to different patient demographics (age, sex, ethnicity, etc).

I think that is as specific as I can get without printing a lecture sheet. Maybe I can do better, idk. I guess if you have other questions let us know?

What sort of things did she say, just that it would be harder to match?

I assumed that as well, but I was hoping that with NYIT's solid reputation they would come out pretty unscathed, as it seems that they did this year!
The merger did not apply to this class, so these results are only indicative of the merger insofar as the reduction in AOA programs participating in the AOA match. Next year will give us an initial idea, but the fallout of the merger will not be easy to identify for a couple of cycles IMO.

The goals remain the same: Work hard, do well, be competitive, and you can eliminate as much of the merger as a variable as humanly possible. Even with the merger, a 230 carries the weight of a 230 all the same. A 625 is still a 625. Aim high and make it hard for the programs to say no to you. I am not naive about all of this, but I still firmly believe that our hard work will be rewarded.

So head up and head on, friends.