tjtjtjt029

2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For those Accepted to Class of 2023 in JB the facebook page for your class is up (it has been up for some time). The name of the page is
2023 NYITCOM- Arkansas State Class of 2023

Congratulations to all! OW and JB for those of you that are still waiting to hear, don't lose faith!

Reactions: Nubby and zaitoun

DrDumbDrum

Sometimes wrong, always terrified
Jul 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been on the waitlist since late January despite submitting a letter of intent as well as an additional letter of recommendation. Mind if I join y'all on the strugglebus? lol

petitechouette

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
New York
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Congratulations! NYITCOM loves scribes and you definitely have the most scribe experience of any applicant I've seen!
Mind if I ask when you graduated college?
Thank you! I apologize for the late response. I graduated September 2015 and started out initially as a full-time ED scribe, but since I became more involved in the management portion of the company, my hours dropped to part-time to as needed.

Reactions: zaitoun
Dec 10, 2018
There's a few of us kicking around, feel free to message.
The questions I have are in regards to the Arkansas campus specifically:

1. Are the rotations that NYITCOM-AR sets up decent? I read somewhere earlier in the thread that they are losing rotation sites. I would love to hear any third year opinions on this.

2. Is the curriculum the same as the OW campus? Are the lectures helpful for studying for the boards? And how many of the lectures are live-streamed from the OW campus? I feel like watching a live stream might not be very helpful.

3. How did the current third year class at AR do on their board exams? I’ve seen the outcome data but it seems like it’s just for OW or combined for both campuses. I would love to see the board results just for the AR campus.

4. How is the atmosphere and learning environment at the school? Do the older students look out for the new ones (google drive docs, etc)? And is faculty helpful?

5. Why did you choose this school over other established DO schools? Is the main campus OW a good reference to look at for matching or since this is a new campus is it an unknown? Does the main campus affiliation to the school help in regards to networking and connections?

Sorry I know this is a lot but I would love to hear current AR students opinions on this matter.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
The questions I have are in regards to the Arkansas campus specifically:

1. Are the rotations that NYITCOM-AR sets up decent? I read somewhere earlier in the thread that they are losing rotation sites. I would love to hear any third year opinions on this.

2. Is the curriculum the same as the OW campus? Are the lectures helpful for studying for the boards? And how many of the lectures are live-streamed from the OW campus? I feel like watching a live stream might not be very helpful.

3. How did the current third year class at AR do on their board exams? I’ve seen the outcome data but it seems like it’s just for OW or combined for both campuses. I would love to see the board results just for the AR campus.

4. How is the atmosphere and learning environment at the school? Do the older students look out for the new ones (google drive docs, etc)? And is faculty helpful?

5. Why did you choose this school over other established DO schools? Is the main campus OW a good reference to look at for matching or since this is a new campus is it an unknown? Does the main campus affiliation to the school help in regards to networking and connections?

Sorry I know this is a lot but I would love to hear current AR students opinions on this matter.
Coming 3rd year.

1. I believe our rotations are good. Talks I have had with rising fourth years indicate this to be true - they're greatly enjoying their experiences. I am not aware of any loss of rotation sites, though I am aware that we are gaining adjunct faculty and expanding our potential in this region. I have no doubts that rotations will go great for me in the coming years thanks to the selections made by our clinical education faculty. They vet all sites and preceptors themselves.

2. The curriculum is identical. We receive the exact same lectures, lab material, and exams. Due to the difference in resources many lectures are streamed from OW, but this makes significantly less of a difference than you'd think. I shared this concern initially, but the majority of students do not attend lecture anyway so watching the recording erases concerns. The streams are live and we have microphones at our seats, and 99% of faculty will welcome interruptions for questions if needed. I do not believe there is a dip in quality due to this method of receiving lectures. Boards are 98% on the individual. You will spend many hours outside of lecture reviewing lecture material in other sources to effectively negate this concern. There is enough time and flexibility for each of us to prepare for Boards alongside our studies. No lecture is going to be able to dive into all of the details needed or we would spend all day in lecture every day. You learn to be efficient.

3. Specific numbers have not been shown to me, at least, but I believe that the collective outcomes data is probably accurate. Given that we work through the same curriculum I would imagine there is little to no difference between campuses on Boards. This is speculative, though. Students I have spoken with seem largely happy with their performance, but that data is anecdotal.

4. The environment is fantastic IMO. It was one of the huge reasons I chose to come here over a few more-established programs. The class size, faculty, administration, and atmosphere are one of the strong points for me. We have a Peer2Peer mentorship program between OMS Is and IIs, but most any II is willing to talk to Is about questions they have. We also have scholars now, so you have people who have been through Boards to talk with as well. There are Google Drives with information as well, yes. As I have said, faculty are awesome and all have open-door policies. We can easily communicate with OW faculty as well through Skype or Zoom. They even send particular faculty down from OW to us if there is a particular need to be addressed at times, for instance Dr. Beaty for neuroanatomy and Dr. Vasilyev for renal. They even give lectures from here while here.

5. The biggest reason has already been mentioned. There are a ton of other factors I considered. I like the campus setup, the city of Jonesboro is similar to my hometown, cost of living is crazy low, it is pretty quiet, and there are effective options available such that you rarely have to start your car if you so choose at relatively low cost. I am happy to be here. Nobody knows what the Match will look like in 2020, let alone between OW and JB. Any data is to be looked at with a grain of salt right now. I anticipate there won't be super significant discrepancies, but it is entirely dependent on the ambitions of the class. A smaller class size is statistically less likely to perfectly align with the national numbers in terms of fields, so who knows what will happen. Again, I am fairly optimistic after talking with coming 4th years here. There are a lot of unknowns even outside of the campus question due to the nature of the 2020 Match. The OW campus provides for some potential connections, but I have yet to see this work in terms of personal relationships with residencies. That said, we are not really a new program here, so we can still tout many of the benefits of the OW campus's established nature. Again, it is all speculative until we have a few years of data to look at. We are not truly a "new program" but we have a lot of those "new program" factors to consider.

Hope this helped.

Dec 10, 2018
Coming 3rd year.

1. I believe our rotations are good. Talks I have had with rising fourth years indicate this to be true - they're greatly enjoying their experiences. I am not aware of any loss of rotation sites, though I am aware that we are gaining adjunct faculty and expanding our potential in this region. I have no doubts that rotations will go great for me in the coming years thanks to the selections made by our clinical education faculty. They vet all sites and preceptors themselves.

2. The curriculum is identical. We receive the exact same lectures, lab material, and exams. Due to the difference in resources many lectures are streamed from OW, but this makes significantly less of a difference than you'd think. I shared this concern initially, but the majority of students do not attend lecture anyway so watching the recording erases concerns. The streams are live and we have microphones at our seats, and 99% of faculty will welcome interruptions for questions if needed. I do not believe there is a dip in quality due to this method of receiving lectures. Boards are 98% on the individual. You will spend many hours outside of lecture reviewing lecture material in other sources to effectively negate this concern. There is enough time and flexibility for each of us to prepare for Boards alongside our studies. No lecture is going to be able to dive into all of the details needed or we would spend all day in lecture every day. You learn to be efficient.

3. Specific numbers have not been shown to me, at least, but I believe that the collective outcomes data is probably accurate. Given that we work through the same curriculum I would imagine there is little to no difference between campuses on Boards. This is speculative, though. Students I have spoken with seem largely happy with their performance, but that data is anecdotal.

4. The environment is fantastic IMO. It was one of the huge reasons I chose to come here over a few more-established programs. The class size, faculty, administration, and atmosphere are one of the strong points for me. We have a Peer2Peer mentorship program between OMS Is and IIs, but most any II is willing to talk to Is about questions they have. We also have scholars now, so you have people who have been through Boards to talk with as well. There are Google Drives with information as well, yes. As I have said, faculty are awesome and all have open-door policies. We can easily communicate with OW faculty as well through Skype or Zoom. They even send particular faculty down from OW to us if there is a particular need to be addressed at times, for instance Dr. Beaty for neuroanatomy and Dr. Vasilyev for renal. They even give lectures from here while here.

5. The biggest reason has already been mentioned. There are a ton of other factors I considered. I like the campus setup, the city of Jonesboro is similar to my hometown, cost of living is crazy low, it is pretty quiet, and there are effective options available such that you rarely have to start your car if you so choose at relatively low cost. I am happy to be here. Nobody knows what the Match will look like in 2020, let alone between OW and JB. Any data is to be looked at with a grain of salt right now. I anticipate there won't be super significant discrepancies, but it is entirely dependent on the ambitions of the class. A smaller class size is statistically less likely to perfectly align with the national numbers in terms of fields, so who knows what will happen. Again, I am fairly optimistic after talking with coming 4th years here. There are a lot of unknowns even outside of the campus question due to the nature of the 2020 Match. The OW campus provides for some potential connections, but I have yet to see this work in terms of personal relationships with residencies. That said, we are not really a new program here, so we can still tout many of the benefits of the OW campus's established nature. Again, it is all speculative until we have a few years of data to look at. We are not truly a "new program" but we have a lot of those "new program" factors to consider.

Hope this helped.
Thank you so much! This helped a lot.

One thing I forgot to ask was if there is a dedicated time for studying for boards? I know some schools allocate 5-6 weeks. Does NYITCOM provide adequate time to prepare for the boards?

And are the tests simulated to be similar to the board exams? From my understanding some schools do this so you build up the endurance for the boards and become familiar with the question types.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Thank you so much! This helped a lot.

One thing I forgot to ask was if there is a dedicated time for studying for boards? I know some schools allocate 5-6 weeks. Does NYITCOM provide adequate time to prepare for the boards?

And are the tests simulated to be similar to the board exams? From my understanding some schools do this so you build up the endurance for the boards and become familiar with the question types.
Yes, every school has a vested interest in its students doing well on Boards so they give us 4-8 weeks of time. So like we finished up the first week of May and have until June 28th to take Boards without delaying rotations. This is more than sufficient time if you’ve been doing your work the first two years.

The content is largely appropriate, but the questions are - in my opinion - not super indicative. Some professors are great about their question writing. Some are not as true to Boards format. For instance, Boards never ask negative questions. Our lecture exams sometimes do. Small difference, but there’s a reason for it.
This is why it is universally recommended to do UWorld and other question banks and to take NBME/COMSAE self assessments.

We took smaller midcomprehensive exams (40-60 questions) and comprehensive exams (100-160 depending on unit). These are good for endurance, but you’ll have to do a lot of that yourself. You’ll get there, though. We all do eventually lol. If you have a particular question on curriculum layout and examination schedules I encourage you to look at older pages, myself and other students here have outlined as much as we can with as much detail as we can. Further clarifying questions are welcome if needed.