2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question: Do we get stylus with the ipad? I will be attending the Jonesboro campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a waitlist update email from them asking me 1) if I want to stay on the WL there’s no action needed and 2) if I want to withdraw my position I should do so by 06/19/2019

Got a waitlist update email from them asking me 1) if I want to stay on the WL there’s no action needed and 2) if I want to withdraw my position I should do so by 06/19/2019

I just got that email too, for the Jonesboro campus. Does anyone know if this is actually a good sign? Or is this second WL email standard?

I just got that email too, for the Jonesboro campus. Does anyone know if this is actually a good sign? Or is this second WL email standard?
Most likely standard as it is really asking people to drop out if they’re not interested in NYIT

Reactions: 1 users
@kazill Would you by any chance happen to know what iPad model we receive? Thanks!
Assuming it's the same as before, you'll get the 6th gen iPad, the current standard model. 128GB, they provide you a carrying case but no keyboard.

Reactions: 3 users
@DrDumbDrum Ahh I see. There are a lot of listings on FB group recently, so hopefully you can find one :D

Also, @ anyone who may be able to answer this, which medical equipment from this list that was sent via email do we actually need to buy (trying to save some money):
  • Stethoscope will be given to you by the school
  • Sphygmomanometer - blood pressure cuff DS45-MC Economy DuraShock Hand Aneroid with 4/cuffs
  • Oto-ophthalmoscope set- Student Diagnostic Set
  • C-128 Tuning Fork
  • C-512 Tuning Fork
  • Taylor Reflex Hammer
Thanks in advance :D

Reactions: 2 users
What are the differences in the two options for the equipment kits? One is priced a lot higher than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew from the wait list at OW, hope it will speed up the acceptance process for you guys. Good luck!

I'm commuting from Brooklyn, so I just wanted to get a general understanding of the class schedule your first-year along with potentially how many times a week will I have to commute to campus. What I know so far is that lectures are in the morning from Monday through Thursday and labs/workshops are in the afternoon. Exams are scheduled to be on Friday. So am I correct to assume that I could potentially have to drive to campus five times a week, because of exams, labs, and workshops, which all have mandatory attendance. Also is there any student at NYITCOM that I can PM my questions directly? Thanks!

I'm commuting from Brooklyn, so I just wanted to get a general understanding of the class schedule your first-year along with potentially how many times a week will I have to commute to campus. What I know so far is that lectures are in the morning from Monday through Thursday and labs/workshops are in the afternoon. Exams are scheduled to be on Friday. So am I correct to assume that I could potentially have to drive to campus five times a week, because of exams, labs, and workshops, which all have mandatory attendance. Also is there any student at NYITCOM that I can PM my questions directly? Thanks!
Yes, first semester you will need to be on campus 4-5 days a week. I posted about the schedule in a different thread (NYITCOM Class of 2023- Old Westbury)

Feel free to PM me or any of the other current students, if you search through the thread you can find us

I travel to Long Island on occasion from Brooklyn. Live near Bay Ridge and it can take 2 hours around 8 am and 3 pm-6pm. The travel time is quite painful as somehow something is always wrong on the belt or LI express.

The lectures aren't mandatory so you won't have to come in the mornings (you can just watch the recordings), and then starting at 1 you'll have labs 4-5 times a week so you'll have to come in then but traffic shouldnt be too bad at that time. And then you can study on campus and leave campus after rush hour (8-9ish or afterwards if you want).

I travel to Long Island on occasion from Brooklyn. Live near Bay Ridge and it can take 2 hours around 8 am and 3 pm-6pm. The travel time is quite painful as somehow something is always wrong on the belt or LI express.

Smh at the belt. The belt has to be the most trafficked road on the East Coast.

Also, @ anyone who may be able to answer this, which medical equipment from this list that was sent via email do we actually need to buy (trying to save some money):
  • Stethoscope will be given to you by the school
  • Sphygmomanometer - blood pressure cuff DS45-MC Economy DuraShock Hand Aneroid with 4/cuffs
  • Oto-ophthalmoscope set- Student Diagnostic Set
  • C-128 Tuning Fork
  • C-512 Tuning Fork
  • Taylor Reflex Hammer
Thanks in advance :D

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about the shopping list myself. I wonder if just getting the cheapest reasonably-reviewed stuff on Amazon would suffice. Do you mind lending your opinion, @kazill ?

Also looking for guidance on the supplies list

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about the shopping list myself. I wonder if just getting the cheapest reasonably-reviewed stuff on Amazon would suffice. Do you mind lending your opinion, @kazill ?
Get a good stethoscope, everything else get the cheapest possible. You only use these things in a singular lab and can just borrow off of someone who splurged for the good stuff, for ICC they provide you with all the tools you need.

Accepted to Jonesboro today!
Interviewed in March
Gpa:3.7 , science 3.6
Mcat : 1st- 495; 2nd-503

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to OW today after being waitlisted in January! Interviewed in October so its a relief to finally know :)

Stats: In-state, 3.46 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 509 MCAT, ORM

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted to OW today after being waitlisted in January! Interviewed in October so its a relief to finally know :)

Congratulations!
I have identical background and similar stats as you! Hoping to get that email one day too

Congratulations! I also interviewed in October. See you in August! :D

Congrats to those getting accepted.

Accepted into the DPC program today!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what proportion of students accepted in IS versus OOS? also what's the deal with their attrition rate. I heard someone saying that it was high.

To all Accepted students
Do we have to register for classes or they will register us on the day of orientation?

Hoping to hear something tmrw..

Hey everyone! Interviewed in November, Waitlist since February. Anyone hear back this week? Is the class full? I'm still eagerly waiting! I've sent updates about research and employment, extra LOR, and called admissions multiple times. Anything else I can do?

To all Accepted students
Do we have to register for classes or they will register us on the day of orientation?

There are no classes you have to actively register for that I am aware of. Akila will demonstrate the courses you have access to when the tabs go live with the schedule.
It is possible to request to join other class year courses to access some material if you so choose (at least, it was for us), which just requires you to select the course in Akila and enroll in it (green button). This will not really be helpful for much of anything, but it is possible for some courses.

There are no classes you have to actively register for that I am aware of. Akila will demonstrate the courses you have access to when the tabs go live with the schedule.
It is possible to request to join other class year courses to access some material if you so choose (at least, it was for us), which just requires you to select the course in Akila and enroll in it (green button). This will not really be helpful for much of anything, but it is possible for some courses.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember when exactly Akila went live for you?

I keep hearing about Akila but don't know when I'll have access to it.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember when exactly Akila went live for you?

I keep hearing about Akila but don't know when I'll have access to it.

I think ours went live in the middle of July after they completely confirm the lesson schedule and faculty placements. In Jonesboro I believe they are doing the Kickstart Event again which will hopefully take place with Akila already live for you. I don’t know what it would show for you all because you need your NYIT log in, but the Akila page is akila.nyit.edu, and you may or may not be able to see some stuff there now.

Can anyone comment on NYIT’s master program that links to the DO program? I got an email saying by completing the master and meeting all the prerequisites I’ll receive an interview guaranteed. I have 3.6 / 508, should I do the master or retake the mcat and reapply next cycle?

Does anyone know how the money we borrow works? Let's say we get 90k in loans, then use 65k for tuition and other things. Where does the remaining 25k go?

Also when/how do we pay our tuition?

Can anyone comment on NYIT’s master program that links to the DO program? I got an email saying by completing the master and meeting all the prerequisites I’ll receive an interview guaranteed. I have 3.6 / 508, should I do the master or retake the mcat and reapply next cycle?
Let me double check this; you applied this cycle and didn’t get an interview?

If that’s the case, then let me be the first to tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your stats as far as mcat and gpa since they are good enough for even mid to low tier MD schools. You either seriously lack something in your application, or there are major red flags in your application.

Let me double check this; you applied this cycle and didn’t get an interview?

If that’s the case, then let me be the first to tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your stats as far as mcat and gpa since they are good enough for even mid to low tier MD schools. You either seriously lack something in your application, or there are major red flags in your application.

I received 5 DO interviews and got waitlisted by 4 of them with no acceptance. Completed late in October (that’s probably one reason I did poorly in this cycle). EC is okay with 5 years/4.5k hours of clinical experience and 3 years/500hrs of volunteering. Poor interviewing skills and ORM :(

I received 5 DO interviews and got waitlisted by 4 of them with no acceptance. Completed late in October (that’s probably one reason I did poorly in this cycle). EC is okay with 5 years/4.5k hours of clinical experience and 3 years/500hrs of volunteering. Poor interviewing skills and ORM :(
Yeah, probs poor interview skills! But you can shape that up. I HIGHLY advise to not retake the mcat as your score is a really good score and you wouldn’t want to mess it up by doing worse.

For reference, I was accepted outright in April from their last interview date in March, and I applied October as well. ORM, 496 MCAT, 3.59 gpa, 2000 hours as a scribe (among other cookie cutter things). This tells me that your stats are fine, but you need to identify your weakness. If it’s your interviews like you said, you can fix that! Good luck!

Yeah, probs poor interview skills! But you can shape that up. I HIGHLY advise to not retake the mcat as your score is a really good score and you wouldn’t want to mess it up by doing worse.

For reference, I was accepted outright in April from their last interview date in March, and I applied October as well. ORM, 496 MCAT, 3.59 gpa, 2000 hours as a scribe (among other cookie cutter things). This tells me that your stats are fine, but you need to identify your weakness. If it’s your interviews like you said, you can fix that! Good luck!

100% agree with this. Your stats are more than good enough. You need to call the schools who rejected you and ask them specifically what you need to do/what is lacking /why they didn’t accept you. In my experience you’ll find their feedback rather frank and candid which is good.

If it does turn out to be your interview skills reach out to your undergrad, formal employer I’ve even seen local libraries conduct interview workshops. There are also a ton of video tutorials on YouTube focused on interview skills. Best of luck.

Thank you for the advice! I’ll definitely prioritize my interview skills.