Jan 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! Interviewed in November, Waitlist since February. Anyone hear back this week? Is the class full? I'm still eagerly waiting! I've sent updates about research and employment, extra LOR, and called admissions multiple times. Anything else I can do?

Reactions: kab12

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
To all Accepted students
Do we have to register for classes or they will register us on the day of orientation?
There are no classes you have to actively register for that I am aware of. Akila will demonstrate the courses you have access to when the tabs go live with the schedule.
It is possible to request to join other class year courses to access some material if you so choose (at least, it was for us), which just requires you to select the course in Akila and enroll in it (green button). This will not really be helpful for much of anything, but it is possible for some courses.

Reactions: Maryzzzy
Nov 13, 2018
There are no classes you have to actively register for that I am aware of. Akila will demonstrate the courses you have access to when the tabs go live with the schedule.
It is possible to request to join other class year courses to access some material if you so choose (at least, it was for us), which just requires you to select the course in Akila and enroll in it (green button). This will not really be helpful for much of anything, but it is possible for some courses.
Thanks for the info. Do you remember when exactly Akila went live for you?

I keep hearing about Akila but don't know when I'll have access to it.

DoctorPose

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the info. Do you remember when exactly Akila went live for you?

I keep hearing about Akila but don't know when I'll have access to it.
I think ours went live in the middle of July after they completely confirm the lesson schedule and faculty placements. In Jonesboro I believe they are doing the Kickstart Event again which will hopefully take place with Akila already live for you. I don’t know what it would show for you all because you need your NYIT log in, but the Akila page is akila.nyit.edu, and you may or may not be able to see some stuff there now.

Jan 7, 2018
Can anyone comment on NYIT’s master program that links to the DO program? I got an email saying by completing the master and meeting all the prerequisites I’ll receive an interview guaranteed. I have 3.6 / 508, should I do the master or retake the mcat and reapply next cycle?

Aug 6, 2018
Does anyone know how the money we borrow works? Let's say we get 90k in loans, then use 65k for tuition and other things. Where does the remaining 25k go?

Also when/how do we pay our tuition?

Aug 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Can anyone comment on NYIT’s master program that links to the DO program? I got an email saying by completing the master and meeting all the prerequisites I’ll receive an interview guaranteed. I have 3.6 / 508, should I do the master or retake the mcat and reapply next cycle?
Let me double check this; you applied this cycle and didn’t get an interview?

If that’s the case, then let me be the first to tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your stats as far as mcat and gpa since they are good enough for even mid to low tier MD schools. You either seriously lack something in your application, or there are major red flags in your application.

Reactions: Kevvv
Jan 7, 2018
Let me double check this; you applied this cycle and didn’t get an interview?

If that’s the case, then let me be the first to tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your stats as far as mcat and gpa since they are good enough for even mid to low tier MD schools. You either seriously lack something in your application, or there are major red flags in your application.
I received 5 DO interviews and got waitlisted by 4 of them with no acceptance. Completed late in October (that’s probably one reason I did poorly in this cycle). EC is okay with 5 years/4.5k hours of clinical experience and 3 years/500hrs of volunteering. Poor interviewing skills and ORM :(

Aug 8, 2017
Status
I received 5 DO interviews and got waitlisted by 4 of them with no acceptance. Completed late in October (that’s probably one reason I did poorly in this cycle). EC is okay with 5 years/4.5k hours of clinical experience and 3 years/500hrs of volunteering. Poor interviewing skills and ORM :(
Yeah, probs poor interview skills! But you can shape that up. I HIGHLY advise to not retake the mcat as your score is a really good score and you wouldn’t want to mess it up by doing worse.

For reference, I was accepted outright in April from their last interview date in March, and I applied October as well. ORM, 496 MCAT, 3.59 gpa, 2000 hours as a scribe (among other cookie cutter things). This tells me that your stats are fine, but you need to identify your weakness. If it’s your interviews like you said, you can fix that! Good luck!

May 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yeah, probs poor interview skills! But you can shape that up. I HIGHLY advise to not retake the mcat as your score is a really good score and you wouldn’t want to mess it up by doing worse.

For reference, I was accepted outright in April from their last interview date in March, and I applied October as well. ORM, 496 MCAT, 3.59 gpa, 2000 hours as a scribe (among other cookie cutter things). This tells me that your stats are fine, but you need to identify your weakness. If it’s your interviews like you said, you can fix that! Good luck!
100% agree with this. Your stats are more than good enough. You need to call the schools who rejected you and ask them specifically what you need to do/what is lacking /why they didn’t accept you. In my experience you’ll find their feedback rather frank and candid which is good.

If it does turn out to be your interview skills reach out to your undergrad, formal employer I’ve even seen local libraries conduct interview workshops. There are also a ton of video tutorials on YouTube focused on interview skills. Best of luck.

Jan 7, 2018

Thank you for the advice! I’ll definitely prioritize my interview skills.

Jan 7, 2018
100% agree with this. Your stats are more than good enough. You need to call the schools who rejected you and ask them specifically what you need to do/what is lacking /why they didn’t accept you. In my experience you’ll find their feedback rather frank and candid which is good.

If it does turn out to be your interview skills reach out to your undergrad, formal employer I’ve even seen local libraries conduct interview workshops. There are also a ton of video tutorials on YouTube focused on interview skills. Best of luck.
Thanks, will definitely look into that

Jan 5, 2018
Status
Does anyone know how the money we borrow works? Let's say we get 90k in loans, then use 65k for tuition and other things. Where does the remaining 25k go?

Also when/how do we pay our tuition?
The federal loans will first be distributed to the school, and the remainder will be wired to your designated "refund" account. We received an e-mail at some point instructing us to establish the refund method.

Dec 30, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Status
I did get a call from them yesterday saying the OW class is full but they asked for some extra details of mine as I've been sending them updates frequently. Hopefully this is good news for the near future!

Jan 7, 2018
Just got an email saying I have been accepted off the waitlist! I am not sure if I am going to take it yet as the deposit is $1500 and non-refundable and I already have a $2000 deposit paid to LECOM... ugh!
Congrats! Honestly Im surprised as I though NYIT will also charge a hefty 2k for deposit

Reactions: kab12 and ashway
Dec 30, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Status
Congrats! Honestly Im surprised as I though NYIT will also charge a hefty 2k for deposit
$1500 is also mega hefty as any DO deposit is, haha... I will keep you guys posted over the weekend as I don't know if I can afford 2x the tuition cost but I also need to consider how happy I would be as a student.