2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8 posts above yours is the answer to this question...and 10 before that...and 10 before that

Sorry just didn't want to scroll through 811 posts on my phone :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students speak to how large a typical on-campus bedroom is? Is it reasonable to fit a queen sized bed in? I read that if you bring in your own bed you have to store the schools bed. Does this include the bed frame too? Thank you in advance.

Can any current students speak to how large a typical on-campus bedroom is? Is it reasonable to fit a queen sized bed in? I read that if you bring in your own bed you have to store the schools bed. Does this include the bed frame too? Thank you in advance.

I think it would be challenging but I know people have done it, at least with a full size. Personally I would think it’s a huge headache but that’s up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if previous threads show that a hold is actually a hold and not a soft R, does that mean if I haven't heard anything since being complete way back in like July without being put on hold just silence that this is more likely a soft R?

Placed on hold via the portal yesterday. App was marked complete 8/10. OOS LizzyM~70. I sent an update via email on 12/4

marked complete on 8/3, still nothing... not even a hold. anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
For people who were accepted. How long did it take post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I interview January. I only have two interviews so I am praying that the 60 percent acceptance post interview pays off. Also Drakozord, I am sure you will get one soon@!

(Sorry if this has been asked already)
For those of you that interviewed, how was it staying with the overnight host? I'm debating whether or not to do it. What are the pros and cons, and what useful things did you get out of it?

(Sorry if this has been asked already)
For those of you that interviewed, how was it staying with the overnight host? I'm debating whether or not to do it. What are the pros and cons, and what useful things did you get out of it?

I think it depends on your host(s) but for me there were no cons, only pros. I definitely recommend the overnight host program

Pros: Inside scoops and (imo) more honest/authentic feedback than from MSs you may meet during interview day. I also got to talk to multiple students (I was introduced to roommates and other MSs). The pre-interview day also calmed my nerves because of how friendly and supportive my hosts were. Additionally, I got some extra time to explore the surrounding areas. If you stay in the on-campus housing, you’ll get to see how the apartments are inside (if you’re thinking about staying on campus your 1st and/or 2nd years). Also you save $ as you don’t have to pay for a hotel which are pretty pricey in the area IIRC.

Of note, you’ll most likely sleep on a couch and you could be woken up by your host(s) and/or not be able to sleep at your desired early hour at night, but my hosts were very respectful of my sleep and I had no complaints! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
I think it depends on your host(s) but for me there were no cons, only pros. I definitely recommend the overnight host program

Pros: Inside scoops and (imo) more honest/authentic feedback than from MSs you may meet during interview day. I also got to talk to multiple students (I was introduced to roommates and other MSs). The pre-interview day also calmed my nerves because of how friendly and supportive my hosts were. Additionally, I got some extra time to explore the surrounding areas. If you stay in the on-campus housing, you’ll get to see how the apartments are inside (if you’re thinking about staying on campus your 1st and/or 2nd years). Also you save $ as you don’t have to pay for a hotel which are pretty pricey in the area IIRC.

Of note, you’ll most likely sleep on a couch and you could be woken up by your host(s) and/or not be able to sleep at your desired early hour at night, but my hosts were very respectful of my sleep and I had no complaints! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you so much for your response! Do any of them go to the breakfast that they hold in the morning? How did you like the on-campus apartments?

Thank you so much for your response! Do any of them go to the breakfast that they hold in the morning? How did you like the on-campus apartments?
No problem!
My host and their roommates did not go to the breakfast or lunch on my interview day, but I suppose that is possible.
The on-campus apartments reminded me of your average college apartment. They weren't very nice but they were affordable ($600-800/month I believe), which is pretty low considering the high rent for housing in the area. Plus the apartments are a ~2-3 minute walk to the lib/classes from the apartments.
The downside of the on-campus apartments is that you can't live with a significant other, however, there is separate on-campus housing for married couples.

No problem!
My host and their roommates did not go to the breakfast or lunch on my interview day, but I suppose that is possible.
The on-campus apartments reminded me of your average college apartment. They weren't very nice but they were affordable ($600-800/month I believe), which is pretty low considering the high rent for housing in the area. Plus the apartments are a ~2-3 minute walk to the lib/classes from the apartments.
The downside of the on-campus apartments is that you can't live with a significant other, however, there is separate on-campus housing for married couples.

thank you, I hope you get that acceptance if you haven't already!

I brought in my own full-sized bed for the two years I lived on campus. The frame comes apart pretty easily. I stored parts of it in the shared living room closet and the rest (along with the mattress) against the wall behind my desk.

thank you, I hope you get that acceptance if you haven't already!

Thank you! I’ll hear back within the next month hopefully, will let y’all know :D

Interview Post acceptance rates are 60%+

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if the NYMC and Touro DO admissions systems are combined? My Touro deposit was due today, and I made the payment because it is the only school I've been accepted to. However, I am interviewing at NYMC soon. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances.

Does anyone know if the NYMC and Touro DO admissions systems are combined? My Touro deposit was due today, and I made the payment because it is the only school I've been accepted to. However, I am interviewing at NYMC soon. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances.

They’re not and it won’t

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, I guess this is a question for current students or accepted students who are committed to going here - why did you choose NYMC over other medical schools that you were accepted to?

Hey all, I guess this is a question for current students or accepted students who are committed to going here - why did you choose NYMC over other medical schools that you were accepted to?
I'm not a student, so @21Rush12 is much better equipped to answer this. However, talking to students at my interview, every single one emphasized the community and closeness of the students. This was definitely my experience in my short time there as well.

I'm not a student, so @21Rush12 is much better equipped to answer this. However, talking to students at my interview, every single one emphasized the community and closeness of the students. This was definitely my experience in my short time there as well.
That’s kinda what all med schools sell... closeness of the students.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting, one of the students at my interview related to the community as being equivalent to high school. You're close with a few people and you recognize other faces, but you don't really interact with them.

Interesting, one of the students at my interview related to the community as being equivalent to high school. You're close with a few people and you recognize other faces, but you don't really interact with them.

It’s nothing like high school. At the very least my acne is gone and there’s no PE class.

Reactions: 10 users
It’s nothing like high school. At the very least my acne is gone and there’s no PE class.
How would you rate the faculty and classrooms, and how much-dedicated step 1 study time is there? (sorry you might have answered these already), I'm not interviewing for another month yet though so I'm sure I'll have these questions answered there too!

How would you rate the faculty and classrooms, and how much-dedicated step 1 study time is there? (sorry you might have answered these already), I'm not interviewing for another month yet though so I'm sure I'll have these questions answered there too!

Personally, I think overall our faculty is exceptional. Particularly Anatomy, Histology, and Microbiology, but altogether I have had an excellent experience here. They’re very responsive to student feedback and take a lot of time addressing concerns and constantly improving.

There are 6 weeks dedicated. You probably won’t believe me because everyone wants more time, but this is absolutely enough time/bordering on too much. Four and a half weeks was all I took and by week 4 I was so ready for it to be over. I hope this helps, and if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Personally, I think overall our faculty is exceptional. Particularly Anatomy, Histology, and Microbiology, but altogether I have had an excellent experience here. They’re very responsive to student feedback and take a lot of time addressing concerns and constantly improving.

There are 6 weeks dedicated. You probably won’t believe me because everyone wants more time, but this is absolutely enough time/bordering on too much. Four and a half weeks was all I took and by week 4 I was so ready for it to be over. I hope this helps, and if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much, that is incredibly helpful. I'm so excited to be interviewing at this school! For you, why did you decide to go here over other places?

Question for any current students or anyone who knows more about the Touro system in general:

Apologies if this comes across as an uninformed question, but what does NYMC being a part of the Touro system actually mean? Aside from one tab on the website with very general information about "Jewish Tradition", I can't find very much information on it, and it was not mentioned at all in any of the information sessions during my interview. Aside from a Kosher dining hall and days off on Jewish holidays, are there other Jewish influences on campus? Is religion a large part of the campus culture?

Question for any current students or anyone who knows more about the Touro system in general:

Apologies if this comes across as an uninformed question, but what does NYMC being a part of the Touro system actually mean? Aside from one tab on the website with very general information about "Jewish Tradition", I can't find very much information on it, and it was not mentioned at all in any of the information sessions during my interview. Aside from a Kosher dining hall and days off on Jewish holidays, are there other Jewish influences on campus? Is religion a large part of the campus culture?

You’ve really touched on the two things that affect students. Religion is in no way incorporated into any of the coursework, it's just meant to allow those students who want to study medicine and be able to observe to do so. Sabbath is observed, so things are closed from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, but you can still access any educational resource like library, learning modules, etc with your ID card. The people working just have the day off. There is a wide range of religious backgrounds represented in the class (and plenty of atheists/agnostics too).

I hope this helps, and if I can answer any other questions please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who interviewed on 11/19 hear back yet?? I know they said 6-8 weeks but other people on here heard back in 4 and now I’m anxious

Random question, but does anyone know if pets are allowed in the on-campus apartments?

I just withdrew my II. Hope this goes to someone! Happy Holidays to everyone,

Reactions: 6 users
Med school is what you make of it. No matter where you go to med school, or any grad school for that matter, friend groups form. It's natural that people with similar interests or life experiences gravitate towards each other... If you're social and nice/friendly to others youll have more friends or at least acquaintance. Go to the event, talk to your classmates, go to the party, etc. Cliques (or really, just "friend groups") are everywhere and are a part of life. But they aren't impermeable. Trick is to meet everyone before the cliques form.
There is a prom/formal every year that is a blast and thats the only highschool sounding thing i've experienced. But its super fun and you're drinking out of glasses not red cups :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
M2 here if people didn't figure that out yet. I liked that the campus was clean, quiet and I could get fresh air. The housing is so close to school. People seemed really down to earth. I liked the location. I had other options and am glad I chose NYMC.

Reactions: 5 users
M2 here if people didn't figure that out yet. I liked that the campus was clean, quiet and I could get fresh air. The housing is so close to school. People seemed really down to earth. I liked the location. I had other options and am glad I chose NYMC.

You forgot to mention that I’m here and obv super cool

Reactions: 6 users
NYMC gives a 1 out 0f 10 on the MMI. Curious if the only real criteria of acceptance is just MMI scores or they still take other things (Volunteering, grades, etc. into account).

I got this answer on reddit: Normally each station gives you a 1-10 score with comments to justify it. If you meet whatever cut off they want, you’re probably in