2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+3 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, My AMCAS app status is still "ready for review", so i'm confused why I received this secondary already. Is there no pre-screen? And how did NYMC know I applied if my AMCAS app status indicates it wasn't even sent out yet?

Hi, My AMCAS app status is still "ready for review", so i'm confused why I received this secondary already. Is there no pre-screen? And how did NYMC know I applied if my AMCAS app status indicates it wasn't even sent out yet?

This is normal — I got my secondary from like 3 schools within 6 hours of submitting AMCAS. No need to worry!

Members don't see this ad :)
question:

what do you think i should do if one of my science letters comes from my advisor who works as a professor in my major department, but never actually taught me in a course? she told me in her letter she added things about my competency in the sciences, but i don't want to lie and put that she taught a course i did not actually have.

same scenario goes for my non-science. very confused on what to do... hate these specific letter requirements :(

unsure if my app is considered submitted? I got to the end and certified the information provided but I'm using FAP to pay for the secondary. I have emailed NYMC to let them know, but I am wondering if my secondary is considered done at this point since there was no submit button...

anyone know how important the applicant's tie to school is for admission? I have literally no connection but really like the school so im a little worried.

anyone know how important the applicant's tie to school is for admission? I have literally no connection but really like the school so im a little worried.

I have no connections either so I'm curious too. My thought process is that they should accept some people without connections else it would hurt the diversity of the school.

AMCAS can send your application to any school (your contact information at the very least) after the transmission date, which this year was June 29, regardless of your verification status. Some schools choose to utilize this info, others don't, but NYMC is one that does! Anyone who has submitted and added the school can potentially receive a secondary, but I'm just an applicant so I don't know how they go about choosing/randomly sending out secondaries

unsure if my app is considered submitted? I got to the end and certified the information provided but I'm using FAP to pay for the secondary. I have emailed NYMC to let them know, but I am wondering if my secondary is considered done at this point since there was no submit button...
Following. I also got to the payment option and then I emailed them regarding my FAP but I will give them a call tomorrow to check if we are required to do something else on our end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I have 6 letters in a PACKET but NO committee letter. Not sure what I should do.
Also have 6 in mine. I put the title of the letter in the first page then entered the author's names and their info in the subsequent pages and just indicated they were included in my packet. Not sure if that's the norm but whatever, they should be able to figure it out with relative ease.

I'm also using FAP and it says that within 2-3 business days they will confirm your FAP status and mark your app as submitted - when you view the website again.

Well I'm out, they said they dont make an exception for the non-science letters.

Question- if I register for a CASPer test, should I add all the schools that I need the test for even if I haven't received their secondaries yet, or can I add the schools in later on?

I called them to see if they'll make any exceptions to the non-science letter requirement, and they said that we can still submit the application and send them an email saying that we don't have the non-science letter. The woman on the phone did say that "keep in mind that your application will not be as competitive as others who have the non-science letter."

Maybe I missed it on their site, but I would imagine they'd make these stringent requirements clear upfront rather than having us wait until we received the secondary...

Reactions: 1 users
I called them to see if they'll make any exceptions to the non-science letter requirement, and they said that we can still submit the application and send them an email saying that we don't have the non-science letter. The woman on the phone did say that "keep in mind that your application will not be as competitive as others who have the non-science letter."

Maybe I missed it on their site, but I would imagine they'd make these stringent requirements clear upfront rather than having us wait until we received the secondary...
Is it a non science professor who taught you? Or can it be like a PI who teaches non science classes but didnt actually have you in class?

Is it a non science professor who taught you? Or can it be like a PI who teaches non science classes but didnt actually have you in class?

According to the instructions and the lady on the phone, the letter has to be from a professor whose non-science class you've taken.

Question- if I register for a CASPer test, should I add all the schools that I need the test for even if I haven't received their secondaries yet, or can I add the schools in later on?

I would add them all initially. Most don’t pre-screen.

Reactions: 1 user
Does the committee letter trump the non-science letter? I have a committee letter from my school but none of my letter writers are non-science, so would that make me noncompetitive? I submitted already so I guess it doesn't matter but just curious

Does the committee letter trump the non-science letter? I have a committee letter from my school but none of my letter writers are non-science, so would that make me noncompetitive? I submitted already so I guess it doesn't matter but just curious
I'm pretty sure it does since it takes the place of all those letters. This really seems to be a problem for non trads/ people without a committee letter I think

Hi everyone! Rising M3 here, happy to help answer any questions. There’s a lot of information to be had in last year’s thread that is still ongoing for the current waitlisted students.

Good luck all! NYMC is a great place to be.
Hi! Thanks for helping us out :)
What do you wish you had known about NYMC (good or bad) before attending this school?
How is the city like?

I'm unclear if we can only submit the secondary if our committee packet was already sent to AMCAS from our schools? Also, if my research mentor is also my professor, should I list him as an optional letter of evaluation?

Last edited:
I'm unclear if we can only submit the secondary if our committee packet was already sent to AMCAS from our schools?
I think your letter has to be received from AMCAS for NYMC to receive it. They use the AMCAS letter system. so i guess your application won't be complete if amcas didn't receive it

I'm unclear if we can only submit the secondary if our committee packet was already sent to AMCAS from our schools?

Go ahead and submit! My committee is still working on mine and I'm still not even verified but my secondary is marked completed here

I went to a school on the Quarter System. Does anyone know how I can convert it to Credit hours? Thank you!

I think your letter has to be received from AMCAS for NYMC to receive it. They use the AMCAS letter system. so i guess your application won't be complete if amcas didn't receive it

@don’t you dare I wish I had known that the preclinical grading system doesn’t make a difference at all. A lot of people have a preconception that not having Pass/Fail makes students competitive and not collaborative: just not the case in real life here. They may also be transitioning to Pass/Fail at some point too, but the point is it’s not relevant. The community here and my classmates are the best part of NYMC by far and I’ve never been somewhere more collaborative and supportive.

The location of the campus is suburban and a bit isolated if you’re used to a major metropolitan location. I get to NYC every once in a while especially after exams, its about 35-40 minutes by train.

Valhalla isn’t walkable, you need a car for all practical purposes although some stubborn first-years don’t get cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know how important the optional letters are? I've worked at a Tire Shop through college and I am not sure if I can get a rec letter from my boss as he is pretty lazy, and at best, likely to submit a half-assed letter which might end up hurting my application. My committee packet includes a letter from my research mentor so I can't really include another from her either.

Does anybody know how important the optional letters are? I've worked at a Tire Shop through college and I am not sure if I can get a rec letter from my boss as he is pretty lazy, and at best, likely to submit a half-assed letter which might end up hurting my application. My committee packet includes a letter from my research mentor so I can't really include another from her either.

I can’t tell you what the right or wrong thing to do is, I’m just a nobody. However, I personally chose not to get a supervisor letter because I wanted to use my letters to focus on academic achievements from professionals who write a lot of good letters. I was worried that the letter they provided would not be of a format that would be valuable to my application and chose instead to write about it as a most meaningful experience. It’s totally up to you, just offering one person’s perspective.

Reactions: 2 users

I was in the same boat..so confusing. I think as long as you send them the e-mail that you received the FAP and they process it from their end, everything should be good. Hopefully, they e-mail us back saying "heyyy we got your e-mail, you're all set!". I'm assuming they'll just update the status on our application?

I'm in the same boat. I have 6 letters in a PACKET but NO committee letter. Not sure what I should do.

So I just called the office because I got a cover letter packet from my prehealth office, and the person said that I should enter my letters as individual letters. Even though I have 6 letters in the packet and we can type up to 5 total online (3 letters+2 optional), they said they'll still see all 6 when evaluating our apps.

So I just called the office because I got a cover letter packet from my prehealth office, and the person said that I should enter my letters as individual letters. Even though I have 6 letters in the packet and we can type up to 5 total online (3 letters+2 optional), they said they'll still see all 6 when evaluating our apps.
Now I'm thinking that if I don't call, I don't have to enter all those letters and they'll still read it :whistle:

I can’t tell you what the right or wrong thing to do is, I’m just a nobody. However, I personally chose not to get a supervisor letter because I wanted to use my letters to focus on academic achievements from professionals who write a lot of good letters. I was worried that the letter they provided would not be of a format that would be valuable to my application and chose instead to write about it as a most meaningful experience. It’s totally up to you, just offering one person’s perspective.
i say yes! Another letter can't hurt, right @21Rush12? It shows diversity in experience as well as teamwork with coworkers and responsibility! Besides, I'll need some help changing a tire so i'll need you to attend next year thanks.

EDIT: some people ask that you help them with an outline of how these letters should be written. Search for other threads about letters from non-professors.

Hello everyone just want to copy @21Rush12. I am a second year and am super happy I chose NYMC over other schools. My main advice for this application cycle is twofold: breathe and don't hold your breath. They sound the same but let me explain.

Breathe: the application cycle is a hellish mindf---. You never know if/when you will be invited for an interview. Focus on the things in your control like writing thoughtful GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT essays, submitting on time, writing update/interest letters when needed later on etc. Do not let the things that are out of your control weigh you down. AdComs can invite you or not for reasons unknown. It's a stressful year but know that what you are/will go through is normal.

Don't hold your breath: If you are concerned with responses from schools especially when it comes around Jan/February, do something about it. Take a good honest look at your application. If heaven forbid you need to reapply next year I want you to be able to apply with something new from this year like a diff volunteer gig, a research project, taking a new course. Don't want anyone scrambling for something new to add to an application, or worse, not having anything new to add for the next time. This isnt to say this will happen to you but it is a real possibility for many.

Hope for the best but expect AND PREPARE for the worst.

Good luck everyone! It's going to be a bumpy ride but it's a very exciting one!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks! Appreciate it.

I'll be honest, I am now considering adding NYMC after realizing that they don't have secondary prompts and that their match list looks pretty decent.

Money isn't necessarily a problem and I'm thinking who wouldn't love the opportunity for another interview. Though its also a "low-yield" school so no clue lol.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I am now considering adding NYMC after realizing that they don't have secondary prompts and that their match list looks pretty good for its "ranking."

Money isn't necessarily a problem and I'm thinking who wouldn't love the opportunity for another interview. Stats are rough >75th percentile of the accepted class from MSAR. Though its also a "low-yield" school so no clue lol.
K.

Reactions: 7 users
I'll be honest, I am now considering adding NYMC after realizing that they don't have secondary prompts and that their match list looks pretty decent.

Money isn't necessarily a problem and I'm thinking who wouldn't love the opportunity for another interview. Though its also a "low-yield" school so no clue lol.

Match list is excellent, and yes this is a high app volume school for sure but if you’d attend, I’d say apply and see how it goes!

I have 3 LOR: one prof who taught me, one who is my research PI but hasn't taught me, and one who is my volunteer supervisor (not science related). Should I even apply with these LOR's or save the $?

I have 3 LOR: one prof who taught me, one who is my research PI but hasn't taught me, and one who is my volunteer supervisor (not science related). Should I even apply with these LOR's or save the $?

It’s hard for any of us to say, that’s something I’d recommend contacting them about by email.

submitted 7/10 and just checked portal and it said that they received my fee waiver and my secondary application has been successfully submitted on 7/11!

Hi everyone! Rising M3 here, happy to help answer any questions. There’s a lot of information to be had in last year’s thread that is still ongoing for the current waitlisted students.

Good luck all! NYMC is a great place to be.
Hey there, how do they really decide who to offer interviews to if there are no essay questions? Is it based mostly on MCAT score?

Hey there, how do they really decide who to offer interviews to if there are no essay questions? Is it based mostly on MCAT score?
They also have your personal statement and most memorable experiences and letters of rec, so I'm assuming they will review it all

Reactions: 2 users